Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
I need some clarification on the whole eshop system. Purchasing a game through it locks that copy down to the handheld regardless of which Nintendo account is signed on to it, right? If I were to sell my 3DS in the future, would the new owner have access to those games as well even if I did a factory reset? I'm wondering how Nintendo's awful handling of digital downloads affects its resale value, since I can't take the games with me if I were to upgrade to a new handheld further down the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Unoriginal posted:

You can do a system transfer if/when you sell it. You'll need them to both be physically present, but it transfers all licenses and friend codes and all the other stuff to your new system, effectively wiping the old one to factory defaults, I believe. So you can retain your games as long as you're immediately moving them to a new system. If you sell it and then buy a new one later, yes, they're gone. Yes, it's stupid.
I was more interested in if, when the 4DS comes out or if I just swear off handhelds and want to get rid of my 3DS XL, I could advertise it as "3DS XL with Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem, etc..." and tack on extra to the asking price because it comes with access those games. I understand that a factory reset deletes everything from the 3DS - what I don't know is if the new owner could then go into the eShop's "past downloads" list and redownload all those games to play them.

Laser Spider posted:

Nintendo also allowed people to transfer software up from the DSi, so unless they cut off backwards compatibility sometime in the future then I think they'll keep letting you move your stuff up through the generations.
I didn't know that you could transfer purchases from the DSi up to the 3DS. The recent trend in backwards console compatibility in general is to not support it at all or only in limited circumstances because of issues emulating the older hardware, so I just had it in my head that any 3DS games I purchased digitally now would be inaccessible on whatever future handheld Nintendo released.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Has there been any media released showing Lego City Undercover on the 3DS? It's common knowledge that it's coming out for the system but all of the trailers and videos released thus far have been about the WiiU version.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Pegnose Pete posted:

New club nintendo rewards today, can't remember what time they usually update though.
Was that 3DS game case a month or two back just a fluke? I'd like to pick up another one but it's not even listed under Currently Unavailable.

And what's a good way to pick up 10 coins? I'm that many away from Platinum thanks to FE:A and I'd rather pick up something small to get me over the top than to register a 40-coin game that could be used towards next year's Platinum.

IAmKale fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Feb 11, 2013

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Pegnose Pete posted:

I never really thought about claiming coins from eShop titles...I've bought a whole bunch.
Is it too late to claim coins on stuff I've bought previously?
If this Kirby's Dream Collection product registration notice that I accidentally activated months back is any indicator, the post-play surveys will probably stick around for-loving-ever :argh:

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
I dunno why but I'm pretty excited that Harvest Moon GBC and Legend of the River King are coming out on Virtual Console. I'm also glad to see that HarmoKnight received a localization, and it's finally nice to have some news on 3DS' version of Lego City Undercover (even if there's the potential for it sucking big time like past 3DS versions of Lego games).

And Animal Crossing: New Leaf looks amazing! Thank god they decided to de-emphasize Nook's aggressive real estate practices and just let you enjoy being mayor of the town. :wotwot:

Did someone mention that the Circle Pad Pro was coming out for the XL? I hope that's the case because I feel as though a game like Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate would be hard to control without a second analogue stick.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Katana Gomai posted:

Yea it was confirmed for the EU; I really wish people would just outright not buy the Circle Pads so Nintendo figures out you can't just hamfist console design like that and get away with it (while making even more money due to the following upsale). Although I guess they'd just take that as a sign of "welp, guess no one needs a second stick after all!" v:v:v
I still don't get why Nintendo didn't just add on a second analogue stick to the 3DS XL. It's certainly large enough for it, and it would have allowed them to skip manufacturing of the larger Circle Pad XL.

I'll still get the larger Circle Pad (if it ever comes out in the US :ohdear:) because I can't stand using the L or R buttons to adjust the camera.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

katkillad2 posted:

I mentioned it earlier, but if you really want one that bad for Monster Hunter you can import one from japan on Amazon and it will work for your XL. I paid 35 shipped for mine which I thought was pretty fair given the non-XL version is $20 dollars at gamestop.
Thankfully there's a demo coming out that'll help me decide if it'll even be worth going down that path. For all I know Capcom might have found a way to make the game fun to play without a second stick for the camera...

Saoshyant posted:

They are not hamfisting anything. The Circle Pad is the Monster Hunter accessory and it has always been so. Nintendo created it at Capcom's demand. Note how Chibata is releasing it in Europe now because of Monster Hunter.

Nintendo doesn't use it in any of their games (don't use Kid Icarus' lefty mode as an example) and the only chance they had to redesign the system with a second stick has already passed. Now it's too late to use that thing for any new game or risk fragmenting the market drastically. It will remain forever exactly how it started as: the MH accessory.
...Though this makes it sound like it'll be a one-time use accessory that won't get any play after MHU3.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Dr. Fetus posted:

Are you able to use them in Puzzle or either of the Find Miis? If not, they're probably SpotPassed Miis. You tend to get those when not StreetPassing anyone for a while.
I was just about to ask, how does SpotPass work in Mii Plaza? They only show up if you don't see anyone via StreetPass for a few days?

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Jet Set Jettison posted:

Do I need a circle pad pro to play the MH3U demo? I like the idea of a skill based gear building sperg-a-thon but I dont want to buy new hardware to play the demo of a game I might not even like... :ohdear:
You can play the demo and find out, it comes out today. I'm hesitant about the lack of a second joystick as well, but I'm going to wait until I get a chance to try the demo. I'm hoping they'll use some variation of "Use L/R and the joystick" for manual camera rotation, and then have the camera intelligently readjust as you run around without L/R pressed.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
I'm pretty sure it's the shape your thumb and forefinger make when you try to use the joystick (thumbstick?) and the L button or the A/B/X/Y and R buttons together.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Saoshyant posted:

It's a form of physical torture Monster Hunter players on the PSP had to subjugate themselves to.

Same deal for Phantasy Star Portable players, but the claw is more infamous in MH fandom.
Oh god, I forgot all about the possibility of the D-pad being used for camera control. That looks awful :gonk:

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Ahaha MH3U explicitly states that it's not compatible with the Circle Pad Pro. Welp, time to practice my claw :suicide:

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

SC Bracer posted:

Crashmo is on sale even so you might as well snap it up.
Crashmo is the more approachable game between it and Pushmo, right? Or is it the other way around?

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
How long does it take for the post-play survey to pop up on Club Nintendo? I picked up Crashmo on sale last week in an effort to get over the 10-coin hump to Platinum, but it only gave me 5 play coins at the time of purchase. I really hope a second survey comes in because I'm running out of ways to nickle-and-dime my way to the top.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Sire Oblivion posted:

Has anyone made a Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate thread?

KGBAgent185 posted:

There is a monster hunter thread. There is no need for separating them by game as it doesn't have multiple games being played at the same time really.

I'd love to link it, but I'm on the awful app and can't get it right now. :(
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3370709 There you go! :eng101:

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

kirbysuperstar posted:

Seems like Japan is getting a new game - Sayonara Umihara Kawase. If you're not familiar with Umihara Kawase, it's essentially Bionic Commando, but instead of a dude with a hotdog bionic arm, you're a little girl with a fishing rod and instead of Nazis the enemies are creepy as gently caress fish with legs. The game really lends itself to insane speedruns: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_4Fwn-8moY
This speed run is amazing, but how does it compare to the amount of time needed to complete a typical play through?

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
EDIT: I forgot that there's an Etrian Odyssey thread.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Is it possible to back up digitally downloaded game saves? I'd like to be able to delete the game itself but keep the save in case I ever replay the game.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Iwata Asks: Animal Crossing: New Leaf! (click)
This (amazing) article isn't making the wait until June 9th go by any faster :argh:

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Yoya posted:

I got my reversible pouch from club nintendo today and its sickkkk.
Does it fit an XL?

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Attack of the Friday Monsters! A Tokyo Tale looks pretty silly. I'd like to know more about that.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo, a new Legend of Zelda? That 2D mode that lets you walk along walls as a drawing is bizarre as hell.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
What is Project X Zone? I just watched a trailer and it seems to be an SRPG with fighting game style confrontations between units? I'm interested in the turn-based gameplay, but have no idea what to make of the over-the-top fight scenes.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Nintendo's going to be talking about the new Smash Bros. in some kind of pre-E3 event. Am I remembering incorrectly, or did Nintendo say that the new Smash Bros. would be on the 3DS as well? I absolutely love SB (I finally bought a Wii when Brawl came out) but don't necessarily want to pick up a Wii U to play it.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Here's the new Smash Bros. Trailer. It looks like the 3DS gets a more cel-shaded appearance (akin to Brawl), but it still looks pretty amazing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvudMu-5kIU

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Every time I try to fill out the Club Nintendo survey for Animal Crossing: New Leaf, the next form that's supposed to appear after clicking "Submit" times out. It's been doing this for the last couple days. Is anyone else having this issue?

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Are there any SRPGs available for either the DS or 3DS that are very similar to Final Fantasy Tactics Advance? I've given up on ever seeing a third game, but I'm feeling the SRPG itch and don't know what to pick up to scratch it.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Edit: nevermind, it just went through

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
I received Luigi's Mansion for Christmas, I can't believe how much charm this game oozes! Luigi is so scared but he's still reluctantly willing to help :3:

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
I'm finally getting around to playing A Link Between Worlds. Is there anything for completing the game with zero deaths? I know Link's Awakening had a secret ending for completing it without dying, should I go through the extra effort in ALBW?

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Awesome! posted:

:aaaaa: goddamn you I thought my 100% file was complete.
It's not mind-blowing or anything, so don't fret, you're not missing out on much. I'd recommend watching it on YouTube, but then you wouldn't get to enjoy another play through of the best LoZ game ever to come out. Ever. :colbert:

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
I just completed a zero-death run of A Link Between Worlds this morning. I largely enjoyed it, but it felt incredibly aimless and short compared to any of the preceeding LoZ games. For me, Zelda is all about the items and how they unlock additional exploration. Having access to every weapon from the outset reduced the joy of accessing a new part of the map because I didn't feel like I'd achieved anything to get there. Lorule enemies hit ridiculously hard, too, though picking up the blue tunic and L2 Master Sword skewed too far in the other direction and made trivial much of the content leading up to the end boss fight.

Is there any end-game content to look forward to? Is there a different-colored tunic to pick up? I'll probably keep playing to try and get the last two pieces of Master Ore as well as the remaining 11 heart pieces, and I haven't experienced any of the StreetPass Evil Link functionality either.

Edit: Holy crap, there are five bottles? I only found two.

IAmKale fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jan 30, 2014

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
I picked up Mario Golf World Tour completely on a whim during a Best Buy 2-for-1 sale, and though I've spent a couple of hours playing it I have some questions.

Is there a driving range mode I'm not seeing? I've gotten used to the Manual controls but I'm still having a hard time targeting a particular section of the ball to hit while also timing the power gauge. I'm hoping there's a place where I can practice the Manual controls without going through an entire 18 holes.

The main draw of the game the Clubhouse mode, right? when I first started the game I went straight to it and spent so much time there that I forgot there were other options on the main menu. The "Quick Play" mode or whatever it's called seems to strictly be challenges of skill for star coins, which I think tie back into Clubhouse mode to unlock additional courses?

And what's the quickest way to unlock the gear? I receive a single piece after an entire 18 holes - based on the number of item slots in the shop it'll take hours and hours of grinding to unlock everything for purchase. I'm liking the game so far, but I am also interested in getting everything unlocked ASAP so I can mix-and-match my Mii's loadout :3:

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
What are my options if I want to divest myself of my Nintendo 3DS but still retain all of my digital downloads for later? I'm stuck for an answer because of how Nintendo ties everything to a physical console instead of an account.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Shelf Adventure posted:

You have 3 options.

1) Sell it and lose your games.
2) Sell it to an understanding friend who will let you transfer when you rebuy a system later.
3) Sell it at an elevated price reflecting the software on your system and later rebuy your games.

(it'll probably be option 1)

Is Option 3 really an option? I assumed that signing out of my Nintendo account on the console would render those games unplayable until I signed back in.

Edit: Looks it isn't, it'd violate the ToS (lol) and I'd have to give up my NNID as well.

homeless snail posted:

The answer is: gently caress You.
At first I thought you were being an rear end in a top hat but now I think you're right :haw:

IAmKale fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Oct 8, 2014

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Why the hell are video games so expensive in Japan? It boggles my mind every time I go into a Yodobashi or Bic Camera and see upwards of $55 for 3DS and Vita games, and $70 for console games aren't uncommon. These games are developed in Japan, shouldn't that make them cheaper? There's something else going on here since normal economics are obviously not in play.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Well poo poo, I'm sitting at 345 Club coins so now I have to choose between Wario Land II (200 coins) and Donkey Kong (150 coins) :(

There's no way for me to pick up a few extra coins to bump me over 350, is there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Would anyone be willing to trade a code for Wario Land II for Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening? I screwed up and ordered WL2 without realizing that I'd already purchased it months ago.

• Locked thread