Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
My recommendation is to not go overboard with the OP because no-one reads that poo poo past a certain point, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Leofish posted:

I also should have done more research into Petit Computer, from the e-Shop, because I erroneously assumed they'd give you some pointers on this stuff, but apparently you're just thrown in and expected to figure BASIC out on your own after 15 years of not using it. It's not like I can't do it, but I was expecting a bit more hand-holding at first, for some reason. All I was able to create in 7th grade computer class all those years ago was some flimsy blackjack program that didn't include Aces because I couldn't figure out a way to make something have two different conditional values.

They basically expect you to read the manual on the website (which they didn't both translating until months after release) and/or to buy the electronic guidebook (which came out a couple weeks ago in English; only the Android version is available at the moment).

Anyway, I say it every time this game is brought up but it bears repeating: where's my PAL release, Gamebridge?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It definitely is getting an eShop release.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

BadAstronaut posted:

Are there any 'mature' games coming for the 3DS soon? By mature, I mean games that aren't designed for children. Of the entire catalogue on DS, there are literally about 15 games I care to play.

You're gonna have to be way more specific.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

BadAstronaut posted:

EDIT: Wah-hey, this is exciting! The promise of an old-school Metroidvania title, Castlevania: Mirror of Fate might be one well worth picking up. I always enjoyed these games.

Mirror of Fate is not a metroidvania, nor is it in the old-school NES style.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

BadAstronaut posted:

Aw. :smith:

I saw this from Kotaku "The New 3DS Castlevania Brings Back Metroidvania In Lovely 3D" - but looking again the article was from June last year. That sucks.

So it is going to be more like the N64 version, then? That wasn't too bad, was it?

Mirror of Fate is by the same team that made the recent Castlevania game for PS3/360; that game is a modern action game with light adventure elements, comparable to God of War, and the 3DS game is basically the same thing but turned sideways. It might turn out okay but it's definitely cut from a different cloth than the GBA/DS games.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Policenaut posted:

Didn't Nintendo do the import concept with the Wii Virtual Console? With stuff like Sin and Punishment, even. I'd say Nintendo could probably do something like that in the future when the library has really swelled in mass.

It's not an "import section" per se, Nintendo just lets international publishers put their crap on the Korean eShop without localising anything. The HK/iQue stores work the same way, from what I gather.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They already said they were debating whether to remake MM or work on a new game, and given that they're now remaking WW for Wii U they'll probably make something new for 3DS.

I know Miyamoto wanted to make a new LttP-style game for 3DS because he thinks it'd look good with stereoscopic 3D.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if they waited until after the WW HD release to put out Majora's Mask 3D. They said they were also making an original 3DS Zelda title and probably don't want to flood the market by releasing Zelda games back to back to back (though I'd buy them all :ohdear:).

Also Miyamoto wasn't talking about a LttP-style game so much as an actual remake of LttP. I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

He said both, depending on the interview and/or the translator.

The thing they were weighing up RE: remakes of MM or LttP or whatever is that they usually use remakes as a way of training new directors that Miyamoto thinks aren't ready to handle an original game, and that they didn't think 3DS owners would prefer a new title as opposed to back-to-back remakes.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Nintendo's finally letting people talk about Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon's multiplayer mode titled "Hunter Mode", here's the tl;dr:

-Supports online play, multi-card local play and a stripped down version that uses single-card download play

-Up to four players (coloured Luigis) have to work together to clear all the ghosts from a randomised "scarescraper" within a certain time limit; the game ends if time runs out or all players are downed simultaneously

-Scarescrapers can be set to 5, 10, 25 or infinite floors, with three difficulty settings

-Boss fights every five floors

-After clearing every floor there's a red coin bonus rush; if players manage to collect all the red coins before time runs out unlocks a roulette wheel which rewards players with additional power-ups and vacuum upgrades, with the players who collected the most coins more likely to receive a bonus

-Score breakdowns between each floor list various player stats (most vacuums, most downed player, most coins, etc) and awards players various titles based on their performance a la Four Swords

-No voice chat, from the looks of things, but you can spam little pre-determined messages like "HEY" or whatever. I guess they map to the d-pad?

The people doing the write-ups are suggesting that there are other multiplayer modes that Nintendo's still not ready to show off, too.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Here's your Soul Hackers pre-order bonus, NA dudes:

Only six tracks, but whatever.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jan 26, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The Japanese version's been out for a little while now, so unless they add radical new features for the international release we already know everything there is to know.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
When he mentioned Miiverse he was talking about social media more broadly, and how being able to share screenshots online was playing a big part in making the new game such a hit in Japan. There's no specific Miiverse integration as such.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Will Luigi's Mansion support the Pro? I can't even remember how it's supposed to control. Does it use the gyro, or did I just make that up?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

noirstronaut posted:

I remember using it to control the direction the vacuum went and such. I can only imagine the second requiring the Pro.

It definitely doesn't require the Pro, and the more I read online the more it seems like it doesn't even support it.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Again, nothing worth mentioning at retail. NA is getting Fire Emblem next week, at least.

NA is finally getting the Ikachan remake this week, for both eShop and DSiWare (unless Nicalis was bullshitting again), as well as two budget Japanese eShop games: a cutesy Castlevania-esque doujin game and a Rabi Laby "spinoff". PAL-land isn't getting anything, so sayeth NOE. Oh well, go play Picross-e2.

quote:

3DS
    Devil Survivor: Overclocked - out now! (NA) / February 22 (PAL)
    Style Savvy: Trendsetters / New Style Boutique - out now! (everywhere*)
    Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward - out now! (NA/PAL*)
    Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask - out now! (everywhere)
    Harvest Moon: A New Beginning - out now! (NA) / TBC (PAL)
    Disney Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion - out now! (everywhere*)
    Scribblenauts Unlimited - out now! (NA) / February 8 (PAL)
    Adventure Time: Hey Ice King! Why'd You Steal Our Garbage?! - out now! (NA*) / TBC (PAL)
    Paper Mario: Sticker Star - out now! (everywhere)
    Fire Emblem Awakening - February 4 (NA* / "April" (PAL)
    Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing Transformed - February 8 (PAL) / February 12 (NA)
    Brain Age: Concentration Training / Devilish Brain Training - February 10 (NA*) / March 8 (PAL)
    Etrian Odyssey IV - February 26 (NA) / TBC (PAL)
    Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate - March 5 (NA) / March 8 (PAL)
    Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate - March 19 (NA) / March 21 (PAL)
    Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon - March 24 (PAL) / "Q1 2013" (NA)
    Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity - March 24 (NA) / TBC (PAL)
    Shin Megami Tensei: Soul Hackers - April 16 (NA) / "TBC" (PAL)
    Animal Crossing - "Q2 2013" (NA/PAL)

*demo available
3DS eSHOP SOFTWARE
    Tokyo Crash Mobs - out now! (everywhere)
    Unchained Blades - out now! (NA) / TBC (PAL)
    Liberation Maiden - out now! (everywhere)
    The "DENPA" Men: They Came By Wave - out now! (everywhere*)
    Crashmo / Fallblox - out now! (everywhere)
    Aero Porter - out now! (everywhere)
    Crimson Shroud - out now! (everywhere)
    Fluidity: Spin Cycle - out now! (everywhere)
    Ikachan - January 31 (NA) / Nicalis (PAL)
    Picross-e2 - out now! (PAL) / TBC (NA)
    Rhythm Hunter: HarmoKnight - "March 2013" (PAL) / "2013" (NA)
    Nano Assault EX - "Q1 2013" (everywhere)
3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Zelda II: Adventure of Link (NES) - out now! (everywhere)
    Ninja Gaiden (NES) - out now! (everywhere)
    Wario Land II (Game Boy Color) - out now! (everywhere)
    Wario Land III (Game Boy Color) - out now! (PAL) / TBC (NA)
    Super Mario Bros: The Lost Levels (NES) - out now! (everywhere)
    Ghosts 'n' Goblins (NES) - out now! (everywhere)
    Mega Man 2 (NES) - February 7 (NA) / TBC (PAL)
    Harvest Moon (Game Boy Color) - "2013" (NA) / "Q1 2013" (PAL)
    Legend of the River King (Game Boy Color) - "2013" (NA) / "Q1 2013" (PAL)
    Ninja Gaiden II (NES) - "Q1 2013" (PAL) / TBC (NA)
    Shantae (Game Boy Color) - "soon" (NA) / TBC (PAL)
DS
    Zero Escape: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors (reprint) - out now! (NA)
    Etrian Odyssey 1/2/3 (budget reprint) - out now! (NA)
    Devil Survivor 2 - out now! (NA) / February 22 (PAL)
    Adventure Time: Hey Ice King! Why'd You Steal Our Garbage?! - out now! / TBC (PAL)
    Diamond Trust of London - out now! (available via website)

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jan 28, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It does say a lot about your worth as a human being, however.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Fire Emblem and Advance Wars are made by the same studio (Intelligent Systems) but as far as I know there's not a whole lot of shared personnel when it comes to design staff, or at least there hasn't been since they started releasing them internationally.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Then where the hell is 3DS Wars :(

They also made Paper Mario Sticker Star, Pushmo and Crashmo in the last eighteen months or so, plus they had to pull double-duty in providing 3DS dev kits during the early days of the 3DS, when Nintendo couldn't supply enough of them to third-party devs.

That being said, I'm guessing the real reason it's taking them so long is because the Japanese audience doesn't care nearly as much about AW as we do, and the last AW game didn't take off like they expected it to.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Pomp posted:

Jesus christ, all this IS talk made me go look at their portfolio. They're behind Metroid too? :psyduck:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligent_Systems#Consoles

IntSys's main gig is building support tools and programming libraries, so their own games account for a relatively small percentage of their output.

Back in the day it was common for them to do the gruntwork for Gunpei Yokoi's old R&D1 division - Nintendo's designers would come up with an idea, send it to IntSys to program, make revisions on the test build, repeat until it was done. They did the programming for a whole bunch of classic NES/SNES/Game Boy games, but Fire Emblem was the first one they designed themselves.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Azran posted:

Can any south american goon confirm whether or not we have an eShop on the 3DS?

There definitely is, I've seen Brazilian posters bitching about the ridiculous markups you dudes get.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Lbeuol posted:

I also saw that there's a sequel to Guardian Heroes from Sega Saturn on the 3DS, I remember having fun playing that with my brother when I was really young.

Just to be clear, that game (Code of Princess) isn't actually a sequel to Guardian Heroes, it's just a vaguely similar game made by a team that includes a couple people who worked on GH. The reaction to it in this thread wasn't particularly positive.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Iwata Asks: Devilish Brain Training! (click)

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Saoshyant posted:

Not only the lack of QA in VLR is evident, the 3DS supports game patches. I'm amused at the complete lack of interest in this huge issue in their own game.

The PAL publishers released a patch! it adds multi-language support to the manual

Raepdog posted:

Anyone know where I can find info about adapting a game for the virtual marketplace, specifically how to do so and how to submit it for approval?

If you want more detailed help you're gonna have to be more specific, but you can apply to become a licensed developer/publisher on the Wario World website. Be warned, it's not easy.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jan 31, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Maybe they should be encouraging more western devs to make 3DS games for the international market, instead of just bringing over more Japanese stuff? That's not to say I can think of a whole lot of western-developed games I'd actually want on 3DS but I can't imagine more JRPGs are really gonna make much difference.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Where did I say anything about FPS games?

There are massive segments of the western handheld audience that don't care about Fire Emblem or Monster Hunter or Kingdom Hearts and aren't going to be won over by Dragon Quest or Bravery Default or whatever.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Endorph posted:

The joke is characterizing all Japanese games as JRPGs is about as dumb as categorizing all Western games as FPSes. For instance, Monster Hunter! Not a JRPG.

The majority of the games listed/requested were JRPGs, and while games like Monhun aren't strictly JRPGs they're still ultra-Japanese and are appealing/unappealing for many of the same reasons.

The handheld market outside of Japan is (was) driven primarily by children and parents, so if the DS is anything to go by they need more licensed crap, terrible adaptations of casual console games, and Scribblenauts. Grandma isn't gonna buy Dragon Quest 7 for little Suzy, no matter how many slumber parties NOA sets up.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Endorph posted:

And they'll get that regardless of what they do. Not like the makers of the Madagascar 17 game or whatever are gonna hold out on releasing it on the 3DS until Nintendo comes by to court them. FE13 was one of the biggest sellers in Japan and made tons of money for them in DLC, and while I doubt it'll sell AS well in America it still looks set to sell very well, and even if it only sells decently the DLC will still make them a pretty penny off hardcore people.

It's not like getting some dudes to help localize Japanese games somehow scares casual game makers and license shovelers away. They can have both.

The shovelware developers are already leaving handhelds, that's the issue. You can put it down to iOS gaming devaluing the market, or the increased costs of 3DS development relative to DS development, or the fact that Nintendo puts out its own casual titles that dominate everything else, but there are definitely far less of those games on 3DS than there were on DS and without those games the 3DS isn't gonna sell as well as the DS did.

The other option would be for Nintendo to simply make more games themselves, but they can barely maintain their release schedule as it is.

(I don't really give a poo poo if it does as well as the DS did and I generally find all this armchair business strategist stuff really tedious, but that's the "problem" they're looking to solve, so...)

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Katana Gomai posted:

Look at the Vita to see how well "western" games do on handhelds.

Is anything doing well on Vita? Like, at all? People talk about how nice the hardware is and how much free crap they get through Playstation Plus but no-one seems particularly enthused by any of the games and there doesn't seem to be anything in the pipeline.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Folt The Bolt posted:

Well, the Etrian Odyssey games that got localized over here did kinda flop, so it's no surprise that we don't have one for EO4 really. Kinda sucks.
:smith::hf::smith:

Harvest Moon/Rune Factory stuff is released by Rising Star Games in PAL-land but it takes 'em forever to do... I wouldn't expect RF4 until the holiday season at the absolute earliest.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Iwata Asks: Fire Emblem Awakening! (click)

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
^^It was Japan-only, last time I checked. AU is still limited to blue/red/silver, last time I checked.

A white XL already exists in Japan but it's not getting a standard release in NA because white models traditionally sell far less than every other colour, according to Reggie.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The white MK7 bundle isn't an XL, though, is it?

EDIT: it is, oops

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Feb 3, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
ggsdgtre

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Mar 4, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Yeah, I was hyped until I realised it was just a crappy version of the already pretty mediocre console version :ohdear: Why would they even do that? Make a version that's not a true castlevania for a handheld that's never going to look as good or control as well as the console version. People would have loving eaten up a brand new 3DS version of a proper castlevania :smith:

"True" Castlevania died when everyone bought Lords of Shadow and made it "the most successful Castlevania ever" according to that one PR dork who repeats it five times in every video.

Policenaut posted:

Yeah, I can't stand it anymore. It's all just melding into one game for me now and I want more titles like Lords of Shadow (in theory) or Dracula X Chronicles. I'd actually be a lot more excited about this game if Konami hadn't blatantly come out and said they have an HD version of the game ready and waiting.

edit: sorry it was konami who said that.

People like to complain about how all the IGA-led titles blur into each other but it's easy to forget that he did push the linear old-school Castlevania thing a few times - Castlevania Chronicles, Dracula X Chronicles, Castlevania Rebirth - but they didn't really sell. DXC in particular was supposed to be a litmus test for future games in that style.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Konami said they'd be released a demo for Mirror of Fate but didn't give an ETA.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Endorph posted:

I actually liked Lords of Shadow's combat in a God-of-War cloneish way, but yeah, Mirror or Fate just looks flat-out bad. Maybe it's really bad work-in-progress footage, but still.

Game comes out in a month, so I really doubt it.

Y'know what the worst part is? When this game doesn't sell they're gonna come to the conclusion that the handheld audience just isn't interested in Castlevania anymore and stop making handheld games altogether.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The situation is similar to the Wii U; all first-party titles get a simultaneous digital release, and third-party publishers are "encouraged" to release their games digitally, too, but it doesn't always happen and it's not always same-day.

Also, they only started making retail games available digitally around six months ago, so there's a ton of stuff from the first ~18 months of the system's life that's only available physically.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Alteisen posted:

What's really funny about this whole thing is that Harmony of Despair was quite popular and well received thus proving there is still a market for the 2D stuff.

"Popular and well-received" doesn't mean poo poo if people still aren't buying, and in HD's case it was far less well-received than any of the handheld games. Harmony of Despair was IGA's last big tilt at Castlevania and it didn't perform, so he's gone, probably for good.

Sarchasm posted:

As I understand, the DS Castlevanias posted smaller returns with each new installment, so in a way they're right.

Konami iterated on Castlevania too fast and reused too many assets and wound up burning out the audience. Just another in the long list of series that Konami has mismanaged into oblivion!

The broader problem was that Konami wouldn't give the Castlevania team the budgets to make the sorts of games they wanted to make - not a new HD 2D game, not even a proper handheld game with new assets - so they were forced to keep recycling those old Rondo sprites again and again, and then as the budgets decreased for each subsequent game they were squeezed even harder, to the point where they couldn't justify making any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Alteisen posted:

Still well enough to warrant the extra content we got with the 8 bit stages and the new characters.

Plus while I don't have any sales numbers, I'm not really sure what kind of sales Konami was expecting for a game that was nothing but re-used assets, the fact that it did as well as it did is impressive.

They also cancelled some DLC due to lack of demand, so it's not really much of an indicator.

You also have to remember that HD came off the back of a whole bunch of IGA-led console games that underperformed (Lament of Innocence/Curse of Darkness) or straight-up flopped (Nano Breaker, Judgement), so when Lords of Shadow did well I guess they figured he'd had enough chances.

• Locked thread