Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Awakening is the 13th game in the main series, not the eleventh. 11 and 12 are remakes but they include enough new plot/gameplay and gameplay changes to be counted as separate games, they aren't just straight ports.

Also I bought this just for Awakening, but I actually found a lot of really good games to make the purchase less rocky in my eyes. Don't regret it for a second!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

BadAstronaut posted:

EDIT:
Is this IGN release date a joke?

Fire Emblem
Release Date:
UK: Dec 31, 2013

:smith:
I haven't seen any official release date for the UK, I've heard 'April 2013' quoted lots of places though. So, no, it's probably just a placeholder.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eh, Mieu's not that bad. Like he's annoying but he could have been so much worse. And Luke beats a man unconscious with him at one point.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Louisgod posted:

Mieu is absolutely terrible and Abyss as a whole is a relic of a game that is out of place in this decade. Boring gameplay, boring characters, nonsensical story. It's okay if you disagree but you're strill wrong!!
Yeah? Well Xenoblade Chronicles is!

... Sort of okay? Goodish? 6/10?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Man, the GBA Micro. I had completely forgotten that thing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Geektox posted:

My only real exposure to SRPGs is Disgaea (unless Advanced Wars counts?) and I hated it because of it having like, 300 sub-systems. It got way too overwhelming. I liked the story though. Is Fire Emblem less... convoluted?
Fire Emblem is a million times less complicated. All of the math is super simple, all of the systems are super-simple, everything about it is super-simple. The highest stats get is like 80, and that's HP, everything else caps out at maybe 40. It's still deep and strategic but it's not impossible to understand at all. The entire game runs on about six formulas, max, and the most complicated they get is

quote:

Hit Rate = Weapon's Hit rate + [(Skill x 3 + Luck) / 2]

And the most complicated the subsystems get is 'this class gains this skill at level 15, you can reclass a character down to level 10 in a different class and keep that skill, while also getting the skill the other class gets at level 15.' It's all super-simple. There's also maybe three real subsystems, tops. Hell, the fact that it's so simplistic and easy to understand at a glance is why I love Fire Emblem. Sounds right up your alley.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jan 28, 2013

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

7, 8, 9 are all good starting points. 8 is easier than every other FE and shorter than most that aren't on the NES but it's still by no means a bad game.

Also the only FEs that I say don't hold up today are 1, 2, and 3. Even FE4 on the SNES is still completely playable and enjoyable today, and holds up well when put up against modern games considering the fact that it was made nearly twenty years ago. Some of the mechanics there are a bit esoteric and the maps are way too big for their own good but it's still a good game. Though I wouldn't play it first since it's pretty drat hard, especially if you don't abuse the pairing system.

But yeah. 7, 8, or 9, then go from there.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah, but more FPSes aren't gonna make a difference either! :downs:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Where did I say anything about FPS games?
The joke is characterizing all Japanese games as JRPGs is about as dumb as categorizing all Western games as FPSes. For instance, Monster Hunter! Not a JRPG.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

And they'll get that regardless of what they do. Not like the makers of the Madagascar 17 game or whatever are gonna hold out on releasing it on the 3DS until Nintendo comes by to court them. FE13 was one of the biggest sellers in Japan and made tons of money for them in DLC, and while I doubt it'll sell AS well in America it still looks set to sell very well, and even if it only sells decently the DLC will still make them a pretty penny off hardcore people.

It's not like getting some dudes to help localize Japanese games somehow scares casual game makers and license shovelers away. They can have both.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Man, I guess my FE13 download is like 85% done now? Dammit nintendo, just give me a bar. Doesn't even have to give me exact numbers, just a percentage. If I wanted to measure the coloration of a box, I'd be a gynecologist.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I actually liked Lords of Shadow's combat in a God-of-War cloneish way, but yeah, Mirror or Fate just looks flat-out bad. Maybe it's really bad work-in-progress footage, but still.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I had a transparent pink GBA and it ruled.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Porkchop Express posted:

So I keep hearing how good fire emblem is, but I don't like RTS games. How much will this hamper my enjoyment of it? The last RTS game I played was FF Tactics, so admitidly it's been a while.
RTS is real-time strategy. Command and Conquer and Starcraft.

FFT and Fire Emblem are SRPGs. Turn-based strategy games with RPG mechanics like levels and equipment.

That said, if you don't like turn-based strategy games on principle, FE won't change your mind. It is a very good SRPG, but it doesn't shatter the genre or anything.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nothing at all. I think the only time Doom's been on a portable system was the GBA port.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sticker Star is a decent game but it plays nothing like either the JRPG Paper Marios or Super Paper Mario. Fair warning.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Going by past examples of FE games, Awakening will just get more and more expensive as time goes on. FE9 goes for like 100 bucks on Ebay. The EShop price of 40 bucks will probably be your best bet, and I seriously doubt they'll put it on sale at any point in the foreseeable future.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

It's a Strategy RPG. Think Shining Force, if you were a Genesis kid.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Aurain posted:

I don't think we need to add more letters onto SRPG to define them. The waters are already muddy enough with them being referred to as TRPGs with games under those umbrellas still being massively variable in gameplay. Having to distinguish them as J or WSRPG seems like adding a whole new level of questions on to it.
Especially since I've seen like two western-made SRPGs off the top of my head.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Heran Bago posted:

What does the new fire Emblem offer that makes it stand out from the others? Or is it like Mario where it's more of the same and that's the appeal?

I liked the first couple GBA fire emblems and I'm not sure which to pick up next. The DLC and higher than usual amounts of 'anime' though make me consider actually trying the DS, GC, or Wii ones instead. Hell maybe it's just time to replay the GBA ones.
A waaay expanded support system, (more supports in this game than they were in FE6, 7, 8, and 9 put together), the pairing system from FE4, the overworld map system from FE8/2, the branching promotions from FE8, the reclass system from FE11/12. It's, essentially, a 'greatest hits' of Fire Emblem features. It's also not really anymore anime (I hate using that word as an adjective) than any of the other FEs, save for some of the sillier DLC, it just has a new artstyle.

As for the DLC, why would that turn you off? There's nothing in there that feels like it was stripped away from the base game, it's just bonus stuff like maps, supports, and a couple of classes. You can completely ignore the DLC and the game is still a fully featured FE game. Heck, the game has some free DLC that adds six or so recruitable characters, complete with maps to recruit them on. Hell, the free DLC characters are more fully featured than the paid DLC characters, since the free DLC ones can at least support the Avatar.

Anyway, if you're looking into other FEs -

FE9/Path of Radiance (Gamecube) is probably the best one of the lot.

FE10/Radiant Dawn (Wii) is also very good, but it's a direct sequel to FE9. And it assumes you've played FE9, both plot and gameplay wise. Still a good game, though.

FE11/Shadow Dragon (DS) is... a remake of a twenty-year-old NES game that doesn't update the game nearly enough. It's still playable, and pretty fun, but it definitely feels like a step backwards from even the GBA games.

FE12/Heroes of Light and Darkness (DS) ... never came out in the US. :v:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

No, no, no, and again no.

The DLC is as follows

Some maps from past FEs that give you some characters from past FEs. These characters have no relation to the plot and have no supports or dialogue beyond the DLC maps themselves.
Some challenge maps.
Some maps that give characters some more dialogue with each other. This is just 'characters interacting', there's no grand plot revelations or anything. Neat if you like development, but nothing critical to the plot.
Some maps that help tie up a plot thread from the main game. This is not an ending, or anything critical to the plot, just a loose plot thread. There is no feeling that they left this out intentionall to make money off DLC.
Some more challenge maps.
Some maps for grinding EXP/Gold. The game is entirely beatable without these and they seem to mostly exist for people who want to take on the other, super-hard DLC and don't want to grind in the main game for hours.

That's it. You can skip the DLC entirely and it is a fully featured game with a plot that wraps itself up.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Spotpass is basically free DLC that is automatically downloaded. in FE13's case, it has characters from past FEs (with no real dialogue and stock art from their original games, but still), six new maps that you can play just before the final chapter, and some free items.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

They aren't.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Anatharon posted:

Is that Donatello's VA from the TMNT cartoon? It sounds like him.
The 2003 series? Yep, that's him.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sorry, we need to focus on Samus's post-traumatic-stress and attachment issues. Because we as writers are totally equipped to handle that, and Metroid is the perfect platform for this. Yes.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I would play the poo poo out of Metroid Kart.

Actually, Nintendo should steal Sega's idea and make all the Mario Sports franchises cross-over. I want to play Ike playing Tennis.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Color Printer posted:

If only they had named Smash Bros. something different, then they could have easily turned that into a whole drat franchise.

(The fact that they didn't do this could also be seen as a good thing)
Smash is a perfect word to describe both Tennis and Kart racing. :colbert:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

AngryCaterpillar posted:

I just want her to go back to being a 6'3", 200 pound loving valkyrie.
Sorry, that doesn't appeal to the japanese audience.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

You do realize that I was being sarcastic/derisive, right?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Artix posted:

You're right, IntSys doesn't need sleep. Back to grinding away at yet another game, boys! :whip:
It's been like a year since FE13 came out in Japan. They're also one of Nintendo's bigger internal teams, on par with HAL labs in terms of size.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah, I'm not saying they're making AW3DS RIGHT THIS SECOND, I'm not even entirely sure if that would ever happen, but they're game developers. They're gonna make games. 'Breaks' don't really happen, especially in the Japanese Game Industry.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Barudak posted:

Is the Luigi in the front holding a 2x4 on his shoulder? Is one of the Luigi dreams the Rundown? Tell me yes.
It's a hammer.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

To be fair, Mario and Luigi IS a pretty text-heavy RPG.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

It's easier, but also takes like ten times as long.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I'd recommend Bowser's Inside Story the most, yeah. Combat's really fun in it, especially in the bits where you control Bowser - his playstyle is satisfying as hell since he just wrecks people. And the 'go into his body' stuff is pretty creatively done.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Early this year I got a 3DS XL with several games including Fire Emblem: Awakening. I thought it was fun to kill people with swords and force strangers to marry eachother. Shortly after I realized that it was loving stupid to play a war game when I can just go to war in real life.

So now I'm a revolutionary soldier in South Africa, and also you're married to me. All of you.

Seriously though, a garden costs money and time to maintain, Harvest Moon costs like 40 bucks tops and you can make progress by playing for ten minutes a day. Good on you for starting a garden, my mom had a garden when I was a kid and I know first hand that it's pretty fulfilling, but that doesn't mean the game sucks or is pointless, and that anyone who plays it doesn't do 'real things.'

Endorph fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jul 14, 2013

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bombadilillo posted:

When do prizes usually ship? I picked MM OST and it said, 'sometime before December' :v:
Hopefully they mean December 2013, or that really is the worst ETA ever.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Flumpus posted:

Is there skill involved other than picking when to use your special attacks and stuff?
Yes.

You deal more damage if you hit them just before the enemy hits the ground. The idea is to start a combo, then combo it so that all the hits land and that you pick them back up just before they touch back onto the ground. It's a matter of timing and understanding how the attacks hit.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Or you just use a Cross Hit.
Or that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

All visual novels are terrible. Yes, even that one. The one you really, really like.

999 might lack the awkward sex scenes of its breed but it's still a mammoth slab of dead, stilted prose with an "interesting" (read: as convoluted as it is breathtakingly stupid) plot.

Throw it on the pile with Dangan Ronpa and move on is what I say.
All VNs are terrible. All games are terrible. All fiction is terrible. Everything is terrible. Life is terrible. Let's sit here and wait for the sweet embrace of death.

• Locked thread