Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

BadAstronaut posted:

Great news about Fire Emblem!

Heard much about this DQ7 remake? Will it combat what I have heard of being some long, empty grindy sections in DQ7 (that was a PS1 game, right?). Expected launch date...?

DQ7 is a really episodic game (moreso than any other DQ game), and I think that'll work much better on a portable system. We won't really know much for sure until it comes out in two weeks (in Japan) though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Maybe I really should check out Kid Icarus. I just can never find handheld games locally for less than full price, and a full price 3DS game here is almost the same as a console game. KH 3D... I'd have to wait to get it cheap.

I still dunno about RE Revelations, I know it's supposed to be much better than RE6, but even the earlier games are hard for me to play these days. For a while it looked like Dead Space was gonna take over where RE4 stopped (happy medium between RE3, RE5) but that looks like it's moving more towards action too.

RE Revelations is also being ported to literally everything that isn't the Vita, so if you'd rather play it on your PC/360/Wii U/PS3, you might wanna wait on it.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Lbeuol posted:

Well I got the idea to buy a console when I found some of my old Playstation 2 games in storage. The 3 I remember the most are Final Fantasy Tactics, Persona 2, and Valkyrie Profile. I also saw that there's a sequel to Guardian Heroes from Sega Saturn on the 3DS, I remember having fun playing that with my brother when I was really young.

Never really played platformers, really terrible with jumping.

Recently I've played Diablo 3 and Torchlight 2. Mostly because you could jump in and play for whatever amount of time then stop super easily but I did hate the grind when the story ran out.

I really appreciate everyones' time and help, thanks again!

There's actually a Valkyrie Profile SRPG on the DS you may want to look into. You also might be interested in the Devil Survivor series.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Policenaut posted:

Nintendo's kinda pissed that Japanese 3DS games are taking so long to come overseas, plans to start helping Japanese devs this year in getting them over.

I'd like to say stuff like Bravely Default and Layton x Wright would benefit from thsi, but I have this sinking feeling that it'll be more Beyond the Labyrinth and Senran Kagura.

Bravely Default, Layton x Wright, Dragon Quest 7 and... something. I really wouldn't expect Nintendo to jump on Senran Kagura.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

What sort of games do you think they want?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

HondaCivet posted:

:catstare:

I am seriously sad that Fire Emblem and EO are coming out so close together. Now I have to choose between them for my time. :negative:

Are there any other good RPGs slated to come out this year? All I can think of is Monster Hunter maybe?

If you believe hard enough, Bravely Default and Dragon Quest VII.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Kilometers Davis posted:

So how good is Denpa Men really? I tried the demo and loved it and I'd like a good rpg to have on my 3DS. Searching around and finding things in real life seems like a cool aspect too.

It's pretty much more of the same. The locations are blandly cute and it gets really challenging later on. It's only ten bucks, so you might as well take the dive.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

GrandpaPants posted:

I haven't been following Dragon Quest 7's development, but did they say that they were rebalancing the game? I never played the original on the PS1, but I remember people saying it was grindier and more tedious than other DQ's, and a remake is probably a good time to adjust difficulty. I had no issues with any of the other released DQ games on the DS, but I wasn't sure if their difficulty was also adjusted or what.

Also yes, what the hell happened to Advance Wars?

Yeah, they made a bunch of changes. The intro dungeon that everyone whined about was removed, jobs level up faster, jobs get different skills (hybrid skills have been reshuffled to just be regular skills a class learns too), shards are easier to track down, etc, etc.

Also Dragon Quest 7 is one of the best Dragon Quests. :colbert:

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

GrandpaPants posted:

So I take it there was no new Advance Wars announcement. :(

Is there any reason why DQ7 wouldn't come here (NA)? Did the other DS DQ games not sell well or something?

9 sold well (but I'm not sure it sold well enough when you consider the marketing push NoA had for it), but the 4/5/6 remakes sold poorly.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

zerox147o posted:

Is there anything worth running Crimson Shroud NG+ for? As in, does anything change besides for increased difficulty/higher tier spells and items dropping? Was a very nice run, but I'm not sure how many times I can play through the same 3 maps.

There's a different ending and roughly a whole chapter's worth of new locations to visit.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

geeksauce posted:

Oh, sweet! I'll probably end up picking up all of these. I hope Nintendo keeps this up, because I might end up just waiting for a sale to buy everything now. Steam has me trained. :colbert:

Edit: Also, Fry's doesn't include the pre-order bonus with Soul Hackers, does it? I enjoy savings, but I also enjoy soundtrack CDs.

The soundtrack CD is actually a six track arranged album.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

We don't talk about Stella Deus.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Prophet of Nixon posted:

Why don't we talk about Stella Deus? I never finished it, but I enjoyed what I played.

How far did you get?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Hmm, just noticed this part:

I guess they're gonna jack up the price for no reason? Hooray!

No, you see, the extra ten bucks is to deliver a premium experience. Just ask Naoto Hiraoka.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Artix posted:

It's not like the 3DS is any stranger to that kind of treatment. (Rhythm Thief :() At least it's launching in the summer where there shouldn't be too much competition for it. Soul Hackers is in two weeks, SMT IV is "summer", probably August, and Mario and Luigi: Dream Team is "Summer."

Newegg and Videogames Plus list the release date as July 16.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

Geez they're just feet, y'all are obsessed.

Now this is interesting. Did this end up being any good?

I've heard mixed things about the story, and the dungeons are apparently pretty standard 16-bit stuff, but the job costumes are super cute:

edit:
It also has these really ridiculous instagramed summon animations:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1LkGchlOO8

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Apr 4, 2013

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Policenaut posted:

Fan re-translations are the worst. When I was a young dumb teenager I used to think the FF6 re-translation was cool but now I look back and MAN is it loving dumb to call Kefka "Cefka".

The guy that did the retranslations feels the same way nowadays.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Is the DS version the one that uses the term "Fiendlord"?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

DeathBySpoon posted:

This is the most baffling thing I've seen in a long time. I think I can safely say that this is the only time cancelling a Mega Man game was the right thing to do.

It's right up there with the gritty Bomberman reboot.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

greatn posted:

How many blocks in a gigabyte?

I believe it's around 8,192.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

JebanyPedal posted:

And then just have terrible writing instead? There is no safe place.

It's a JRPG. You knew what you were getting into.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

GrandpaPants posted:

It's interesting that they seem to have done away with arrows and maybe bombs?, replacing it all with an automatically recharging magic meter.

This is such a welcome change.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

1) Harvest Moon: A New Beginning - 70:03
2) Fire Emblem Awakening - 54:54
3) Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers - 33:45
4) Crimson Shroud - 19:47
5) Swapnote - 16:35
6) The "Denpa" Men - 12:31
7) Pushmo - 6:25
8) (Demo) Fire Emblem Awakening - 3:41
9) Nintendo eShop - 2:13
10) Mario Kart 7 - 1:42

I should probably buy more games.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Policenaut posted:

Can anyone tell me how Harvest Moon 3D and Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D are as well? The eShop videos for HM3D kind of make it look like a more open, customizable version of HM but with Animal Crossing only months away I'm getting the feeling I should just wait for that.

You should just wait on Animal Crossing. Harvest Moon is... Harvest Moon. It's slightly more goal-oriented than previous games, and I think having characters move to town as you build buildings is a neat idea to keep thing fresh for a bit longer, but ultimately it's still a Harvest Moon game and it'll wear out its welcome.

Also it was released by Natsume so it has the typical quality localization you've come to expect.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

ArmadilloConspiracy posted:

For content, how is SMT: Soul Hackers? I've wasted a stupid portion of my life on Devil Survivor 2, and enjoy it immensely. Does this mean I would also find Soul Hackers entertaining?

If you really, really liked DS2, you'll probably enjoy Soul Hackers.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Geirskogul posted:

poo poo 1993 was 20 years ago.

The Super Mario. Bros movie will be twenty years old at the end of this month.

BadAstronaut posted:

Has there been any word recently about the Dragon Quest 7 remake? I read something a while ago but have not heard anything new in a long time. Are there any reliable 3DS news sites you guys use regularly?

There hasn't been any news about it coming stateside. If it does, I wouldn't expect it out until next year.

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 08:04 on May 8, 2013

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Dewgy posted:

Actually sounds fun, and for five bucks I really don't give a poo poo if it's not perfect. :)

Honestly the soundtrack is worth the price of admission alone.

Genpei Turtle posted:

Doesn't sound like anyone's heard of Fantasy Life unfortunately, though it's apparently insanely popular in Japan. From what I gather it seems like it's somewhat similar--you create an avatar then are dumped in a freeform world where you master jobs that are either combat- or crafting-related. How similar that is to Harvest Moon though I dunno since I've never played any of those games.

Both games look like good pick-up-and-play titles that will scratch that "dick around in a world doing different types of things" itch, just not sure which would be the better buy.

The only stuff I've heard about Fantasy Life is that apparently saving/loading takes forever.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

SatansBestBuddy posted:

So, I wandered into the eShop for the first time in a few months and noticed there were at least three Level 5 games in there, two of which are on sale right now, and I was wondering if any of them are worth it? I'm particularly interested in that Suda51 game, I didn't know he'd made a 3DS game.

I was also wondering if we'd had any news on the GBA VC games. I figured after a year or so the ambassador games would be available to the public by now.

If you're interested in Liberation Maiden (the Suda51 game) get it. It's pretty short, but it's worth the sale price.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

FrickenMoron posted:

What Etrian Odyssey remake? Guess I missed something.

Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl. It's a reimagining of the first game, now with actual JRPG characters that have conversations in cutscenes and personalities and what have you. (You can play it in classic mode if you want to create your own party and not deal with all the JRPG nonsense while still enjoying all the new features the game has to offer)

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Shear Modulus posted:

Now that's just silly.

But then again I guess so were Rob and Mr. Game and Watch.

That's what makes it so fantastic.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Commissar Ken posted:

Was... was that Mii TOTAL WAR?

I was thinking more Suikoden 1's war battles. It even uses Rock Paper Scissors as a base for the combat.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Put a pre-order down for SMT IV when I bought Tales of the Abyss earlier today.

For somebody who's never played a mainline SMT game, what should I expect? (Though I do plan on getting Soul Hackers sometime into the future if the price stays low.)

So many games lately, if it weren't for a second job I wouldn't have enough to afford them all. :stare:

Death and assholes, as far as the eye can see.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I know the basic difficulty's most likely gonna be fair so everyone can play, but a little part of me did wince in terror at the thought of what that could have meant.

You unlock easy mode by having your party wiped out twice. Take that to mean what you will.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

BGrifter posted:

So you unlock easy mode by default. :v: Why even bother putting that barrier in for a series as lethal as the SMT games? If I don't see the game over screen twice in the first hour I'll be disappointed.

It's getting close enough I'm letting myself start to get really excited about SMT4. Bring on the satanic Pokemon!

Part of it is to introduce the Game Over mechanic ImpAtom outlined.

I was thinking about putting together a SMT4 thread. It seems like there should be enough interest to support one.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Harlock posted:

What're the online/spotpass features of SMTIV. Can we trade demons? :allears:

The online features are "Would you like to buy DLC, yes/no?"
There's some street pass stuff, which you might actually be able to use if Nintendo gets their relay stations working soon.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Animal Crossing lacks lengthy cutscenes.

Apparently you've never been in Redd's art tent.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Booky posted:

I've heard of that game around. How good is it? What's the battle system and story like? I might need to see some videos and stuff before I decide.

I have so many games I want to get. :shepface:

If you're North American, there's a demo of it on the eShop you can check out. A more character interaction-centric EO game is coming out this fall in the form of Etrian Odyssey Untold, if you feel that might be more your speed.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Flumpus posted:

So, having played Persona 3, should I expect similar gameplay? Is it as much a social game as Persona is? Or more a traditional JRPG?

It doesn't have the social elements of Persona, it's more of a traditional JRPG. There are similarities in the gameplay (you're rewarded for hitting enemy weaknesses, you fuse demons together to create new allies), however.

Your AI-controlled human allies in SMT4 may gently caress you over in battle, so that should be comforting to P3 players.

OatmealRaisin posted:

I thought the mainline SMT games were tactics games?

Nope, they're regular RPGs.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I've always just looked at it this way: We're paying the premium to get the game localized in two months rather than 6-8 like most JRPGs. v:shobon:v

Or over a year, like Bravely Default. Or never, like Dragon Quest 7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

private message posted:

How plot heavy is SMT4 compared to Devil Survivor and Persona 4? I know SMT is supposed to be a dungeon crawler so I figured it has less plot than those two.

Asnorban posted:

Came in here to ask this as well. The deal is flipping me towards getting the game.

Considerably less than Persona and Devil Survivor, but those games are pretty :words:
It's more than "dungeon crawler" might imply though.

FrickenMoron posted:

Speaking of Atlus, where's Persona 5? It's about time. I hope SMT4 will be good and that it'll eventually get published here in europe.

They registered a domain for Persona 5 last month. You'll see something before the year is over.

• Locked thread