Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The beautiful final boss sequence makes up for all of Abyss's other flaws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Endorph posted:

Fire Emblem is a million times less complicated. All of the math is super simple, all of the systems are super-simple, everything about it is super-simple. The highest stats get is like 80, and that's HP, everything else caps out at maybe 40. It's still deep and strategic but it's not impossible to understand at all. The entire game runs on about six formulas, max, and the most complicated they get is

And the most complicated the subsystems get is 'this class gains this skill at level 15, you can reclass a character down to level 10 in a different class and keep that skill, while also getting the skill the other class gets at level 15.' It's all super-simple. There's also maybe three real subsystems, tops. Hell, the fact that it's so simplistic and easy to understand at a glance is why I love Fire Emblem. Sounds right up your alley.

You also don't need to know anything about the formulas to play it. Almost all of the strategy is about character placement, and the only math you have to do is addition and subtraction.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Chinook posted:

Which of the handheld FE games hold up really well today? Which ones should I play, and in which order? I've basically missed the whole series.

7 is my favorite, and probably the best (of the handhelds) so far. If you have an Ambassador 3DS you can play 8 which is also good and fairly easy making it a good intro to the series.

Otherwise you could wait until next month and play Awakening which is supposed to be pretty great I guess???

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

There's also Shadow Dragon.

But we don't talk about Shadow Dragon.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm pretty sure that one, like 12, hadn't been mentioned precisely because they're only playable by English speakers if you use a translation patch.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Colonel Pancreas posted:

Wait...you can't skip PUZZLES you've played though, right? It made me replay the opening scene...

To clarify, 999 makes you redo puzzles. It's the sequel that adds in a flowchart and lets you skip around freely.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

How do I check how much blocks my card has? The FE:A thread said that the digital version of the game is 8500ish. I'm pretty sure though that I don't have enough, since I still have the 2 gig card it came with.

Unless you've downloaded literally nothing you won't have enough - the game is 1.5 gigs. You can check to make sure by going to system settings and selecting Data Management, but if you want to download it your best bet is buying a bigger SD card.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I just wandered into Radioshack and bought the first cheap 8 gig one I found, and it works fine.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

lelandjs posted:

Oh. Now I'm just confused. I was under the impression that Dr. Klim's name was also Kyle and that he named his clone after himself. What's Dr Klim's/Sigma's real first name then?

Uh... Sigma. He is explicitly referred to near the end as "Dr. Sigma Klim".

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Len posted:

So I finally powered through to the true ending of 999. I got all but the axe ending. It turned into a slog there towards the end I felt but other than that it was a pretty decent game. End game spoilers Ace is Saturday Morning Cartoon levels of bad. "I wanted to see faces so I kidnapped a bunch of kids to do a study on a ridiculous theory in the hopes I could use it to see what a human face looks like". I'm gonna put this question in here too but could anyone spoil the axe ending for me? I don't feel like playing through it again.

999 ending spoilers: Clover is not convinced to trust Junpei and so when she sees the axe in the Captain's room, she takes it. She then uses it to kill the people she think murdered Snake (which she works out from bracelet numbers), and then kills Junpei as well because she's gone crazy.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

VLR is the second game in what is now confirmed to be a trilogy. So yes it picks up the story, but it does not provide closure.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Actually, it's worse than that, if I remember right. She hacks Junpei's arm off to steal his bracelet and leaves him to bleed out while she walks off.

That sounds like a thing that's possible, but it doesn't explicitly show or say that.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oh my god a new Mario and Luigi game? I hadn't even been thinking of that as a possibility. That's awesome.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

Yeah if you own a 3DS and don't already know for a fact that you'll be buying Animal Crossing I don't really know what to say to you.

Nothing about the Animal Crossing series has ever interested me. I find games like that really really boring.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

jivjov posted:

There was a free map? Was it just one of the SpotPass ones?

The spotpass ones are always free to everyone. There are I think 5 of those, 2 of which have been released so far.

The free map was the very first of the DLC that you normally have to pay to get - as a special promotion to get people interested in the DLC they made the first one free until this past Wednesday.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Neither is better than the other - they're just based on two different puzzle ideas and are both worth playing.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

noirstronaut posted:

Does anyone know what has to be done to get higher star ratings in Luigi's Mansion? I have a coin with two stars on it in the first mission, but there's an empty spot (for another coin) next to it.

What loudog said, but also if you don't know about the Boo thing yet it's because you haven't reached the fourth mission, so it isn't possible for you to have found one yet.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

DuckPuncher posted:

I thought Zenonia was really, REALLY boring. It has the worst grind out of anything I've ever played (I play Pokemon games), and the combat is really same-y no matter where you go or what abilities you choose. It's one of the few games I regret buying, even for the few bucks it cost. Though it's been a while since I've played it, I could be exaggerating. It's just the impression it left with me. But I really enjoyed Crimson Shroud, for the reasons Der Shovel mentioned.

No you're right. Zenonia is absolutely terrible. The writing is awful and riddled with grammatical errors, the menus are virtually unreadable, and that's not even going into the grindy boring gameplay. I picked it up during the summer when the e-shop first went up and I felt like experimenting with a variety of things, and it was the one truly bad choice I made.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yep that's the one.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Yessssssssssssss!

But weren't the JP and English releases originally like, 3-4 years apart?

Any comparisons aside from Apollo Justice and AAI aren't relevant due to the history of the series. The first three games were originally released on the GBA and it wasn't until they were remade on DS that they were released worldwide. The DS remakes also localized the games into English for the Japanese releases themselves, which is why there was such a small gap between them. The last two took around a year which is fairly standard for localization (see the Layton games).

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Can't link you right to the interview because the website is behind an age gate but go here: http://virtueslastreward.com/

It's under Media in Interviews.

(Spoilers for VLR obviously).

Also remember, we do have a VLR thread.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Apr 23, 2013

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

At least 35 for a straight runthrough, although I doubt that's the average. Considering how much optional content there is, and how much you can grind your characters up if you want to, a single runthrough could last you much much longer.

Plus you may want to play through it multiple times on different difficulty levels.

Basically Fire Emblem can last you forever if you want it to.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I don't generally like rhythm games, but I got Harmoknight anyway for some reason and thought it was a lot of fun.

Then last night I ordered Rhythm Thief from Amazon purely because I liked the song from the first level of the demo. It seemed simple enough from the three levels in the demo that I might actually enjoy it. I tried the Theatrhythm demo and didn't like it at all.

Maybe I just like really simple rhythm games.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Artix posted:

Anyone else get The Starship Damrey? I'm stumped after the Laboratory. I can see the five crystals/medicines/whatever in the cabinet, but I can't open any more doors and nothing seems to do anything to the Keplarian.

There's a clue in the Doctor's Quarters right outside that tells you what you need to do with the chemicals.

And yeah Starship Damrey was a fun little ride. I found it pretty easy for the most part although there's a pretty tough optional puzzle at the end that I still haven't satisfactorily solved.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Will I enjoy either Zero Escape or 999 any more/less if I play them out of order?

Virtue's Last Reward utterly spoils 999, so play 999 first.

Spoils as in the entire plot of 999 is laid bare over the course of VLR meaning that there would then be no mystery if you went back and played the first game.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yes it is supposed to charge fine while running. Your cable is probably a piece of poo poo.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Zeeman posted:

Wow, I'm really enjoying DKCR3D, but it is absolutely kicking my rear end. This is not an easy game at all.

I can't beat the Kong stage in World 1. :saddowns: I should probably just progress to the next world since I haven't had trouble elsewhere yet but I'm feeling stubborn.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Sarchasm posted:

Gorillas have lots of momentum.

I found it a big help to switch to d-pad controls, give that a shot.

Yeah, doing this is very helpful. There's no need to use the circle pad when you've only got 3 directions to move in, and then I'm not slipping all over the place when my hands get sweaty.

I can only take this game in 2-3 level bursts but it is a lot of fun, frustrating as it is. Except for the rocket barrel I just got introduced to. :argh:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Pixeltendo posted:

Haha you think thats hard? wait until you get to World 6 K-level :suicide:

I'm not going to be able to beat this game am I? :negative:

At least all the normal levels through World 2 haven't been too bad?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Doesn't matter. Each is a standalone game and they can be played in any order.

One thing though - don't swap between the two of them since you won't get the full benefit of linking one completed game to the other and would miss out on the final boss and stuff.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I Might Be Adam posted:

I'm almost done with world 5 and thought the game was going by a bit fast. Is there an assload of content after the first play through or something?

There aren't 8 worlds in this game. There are 16. And the second 8 are more challenging and interesting than the first 8.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

CaptCommy posted:

My only complaint with the second set of eight is I found myself having to go back a lot more often to get coins, which kinda wore on me after a while.

You're supposed to get all the coins your first time through. :colbert:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I thought the final boss of Partners in Time was an order of magnitude easier than the one from Superstar Saga. Am I crazy?

Cackletta has kicked my rear end every time I played that game.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Superstar Saga is great but it has some serious flaws (like the disjointed broken Beanstar quest). I think BiS is my favorite too.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Dr. Fetus posted:

Some new artwork and screenshots for Dream Team.

I'm looking forward to the game, but I'm a little ticked that they're sticking with the long drawn out special attacks instead of the short and simple bros. attacks that were in Superstar Saga. Those just slowed down Partners in Time and Bowser's Inside Story.

I'm just glad to see the Block people are back.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

Playing as Bowser is great because, as people said, he's got his own fully developed combat style that totally contrasts the Bros. Mario and Luigi have to use their agility and coordination to bounce and dodge around smaller enemies, whereas Bowser's average opponent is the size of a Jeep and his completely normal punch attack deals like 5 times the damage of Mario or Luigi's jump. He's all power, all the time.

Honestly Bowser even feels like the main protagonist. He doesn't really have a clue of what's really going on since that's all Mario and Luigi, but he knows what he wants and nothing's gonna stand in his way. It's great.

Plus the block people all admire Bowser and are like who are these mustachioed dudes get out of here losers.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Awakening's definitely a good choice for lasting 3 weeks.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

KimT posted:

Iwata's Mii has all of the puzzle swap pieces :aaaaa:

And we can only take one. :negative:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

All the Nintendo games I want this year seem to be releasing a month earlier in Europe which is just against the fundamental order of things. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

SlenderWhore posted:

Am I the only person who owns a plain old 3DS? I got mine from the LoZ promotion as a Christmas gift in December 2011. I don't think the XL was even out then. Even given the opportunity to trade it for one with a bigger screen, I probably wouldn't, to be honest. The OOT design is pretty BA and I see them going on eBay for something like $500.

I worked my way through 2 of the DS varieties over the course of the system's lifetime (switched from the original DS when the touch screen started to go, and by the time the 3DS came out my DS Lite's hinge was broken), so I plan to keep using my launch 3DS until something about it breaks or becomes annoying. No reason to purchase a new one when the one I have works perfectly fine.

• Locked thread