Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Best Buy's got the 3DS XL on sale for $180 at the moment:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Nintendo+-+3DS+XL+(Blue/Black)/5720602.p?id=1218686505252&skuId=5720602&st=nintendo%203ds%20xl&cp=1&lp=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
I just found this out: since Amazon sells 3DS hardware via fulfillment (meaning other companies are supplying the units while Amazon handles the actual selling/shipping), the supplier for 3DS units can change, sometimes several times a day. This means that the price of 3DSes on Amazon will jump around a bit, as I saw today when the price of a 3DS XL briefly went down to $190, then jumped back up to ~$203 before I could act on it :negative:

(I have Amazon gift credit and a tight budget so I basically have to use Amazon for this purchase)

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
To clarify, Shadow Dragon (aka '11') is a remake of the very first Fire Emblem game (the one that had Marth in it), released about 20 years after the original and...well...despite their attempts at polishing it up the gameplay just doesn't hold up well and the story is poor.

7 is the one to go with, as it was localized with first-time players of the series in mind. 8 is also a good choice. (7 and 8 are not related, story-wise.)

Awakening is also looking like an excellent jumping on-point, as it's a sort of series retrospective, it's another original story, and it looks excellent in general (lots of people - myself included - have bought a 3DS to play this game).

e: VVV Of course, my mistake. I made the correction.

Slate Action fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jan 29, 2013

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Lbeuol posted:

I've been really tempted to buy a 3DS XL since I have oodles of commute time to kill now, but honestly the last time I've played a console game was the first fire emblem on GBA I think? I've read the op but I'm still lost as all hell, the 3DS XL can play DS games too right? Someone help me, talk to me like I'm 5 years old :ohdear:

The 3DS and 3DS XL will play DS carts, yes. They do not have a GBA slot. There are a handful of old NES and Game Boy games available via Virtual Console, but that's about it.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

BambooEarpick posted:

I dunno, I watched someone play Fire Emblem once before and apparently you have to level up on certain tiles following some special algorithm otherwise your characters don't get stats or something. She scared me off of Fire Emblem. I don't want to math, I want to game.

Awakening is by far the most new player-friendly entry in the series. You can ignore all the min/maxing stuff and still have a great time.

• Locked thread