Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Four Luigis. That's all I need! :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Joramun posted:

Better look at the multiplayer palette swaps for LM2:

Green one's definitely my fav, though the blue one reminds me of the Ice Luigi form in the two console NSMBs.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

katkillad2 posted:

That's really the only thing I can think of, treat each battle like a puzzle that you want to complete in one turn. This means not being afraid to use your coins for the slot mini-game to get extra turns. Also don't horde your stickers, even the thing stickers can be obtained again after use by going back to the spot you found it or rebuying it later as you progress.

The game doesn't flat out tell you, or maybe it does I don't remember, but each sticker has some timed button presses that boosts the effectiveness of the stickers.

I think it tells you regarding the normal battle stickers. They do not tell you for "Thing" stickers however. Given that most of them are just "mash the button", it's mostly fine, but occasionally you get stickers that require more timing than that.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

-Kid Icarus: I know it gets loads of praise too, maybe if I can find it discounted
-Paper Mario: I was excited for a return to the N64/GC series but it seems like it was received more like the Wii one which I had to force myself to even finish
-Theatrythm: The song list excited me before I realized just how much of it was DLC. I played it and it was fun and nostalgic listening to the old songs but I'm sure the novelty wears off eventually
-Kingdom Hearts 3D: The demo was fun if confusing but I didn't hear great things and I'm not a huge fan anyway
-Resident Evil: I was planning on it eventually but now they're remaking this for consoles but also RE 6 was trash and I think I'm done with the series!
-Snake Eater 3D: MGS HD Collection turned out really well and came with the other games :v:
-New Super Mario Bros 2: Before this game I never knew there was a mario "A Team" and "B Team" and the New games were basically pooped out to make a quick buck

And then a bunch of JRPG type stuff that all turned out to be "If you're desperate for RPGs this is ok I guess"

I don't usually buy games at release and the internet is much kinder to games when they are being hyped up instead of in retrospect, but yeah that's a list of stuff I was thinking of picking up.

I did buy Pokemon Black 2 but that's a DS game.

I'm thinking of picking up Fire Emblem although I've never played the series, and I am excited for the Atlus games (Etrian Odyssey, SMT4 whenever that's out) and the new Pokemon stuff.

My take on some of those games:

Paper Mario: Sticker Star - Much closer in quality to the original Paper Mario, even if the battle system is quite different from it and Thousand Year Door. For an "RPG", it is also quite nonlinear (we're talking almost Metroidvania levels of nonlinear here) as long as you know what you're doing. That said, you won't get many hints as to what you should do next, and this is true for enemies and bosses as well. The best way to go through the game with minimal difficulty is to play it smartly. Also, the music is the best of the Paper Mario series in my opinion!

Kingdom Hearts 3D - I absolutely love the battle system in this one! I love the commands, I love the flowmotion stuff, I love the Dream Eaters, and I love the worlds! Also, in contrast to BBS, I found that I didn't really prefer a character much over the other, which is rare for me. I had expected the Drop system to be annoying, but due to smart play, I only dropped during one or two of the boss battles. In fact, the Drop System was ultimately the least of my worries (if I worried about it at all) when I fought a boss because the bosses as a whole fight much more smartly than in other KH games. Same goes for the enemies in the game: They're some of the most competent foes I've fought in a KH game, which makes it extra fun to beat on them!

The worlds, to me, are very huge, which I love, because I love exploring worlds, and BBS's worlds made me feel like I went through a lot of small corridors (Exception: Radiant Garden and Neverland), something I didn't feel with these worlds (not even with The World That Never Was)! In fact, the most memorable moments for me in 3D is when I'm either fighting (either enemies or bosses) or exploring.

The moves that Sora and Riku learn in this game range from the basic attacks and spells, like Quick Blitz, Fire, and Cure, to powerful flashy moves, like Ars Arcanum, Dark Aura, and Faith. You learn enough different moves to forge your own playstyle with both Sora and Riku, and using them to take down 3D's more competent enemies will make you feel like a badass! A favorite of mine is to use Zero Graviza to trap all enemies, then use the Thunder line of spells to completely wreck their poo poo!

Story is pretty bad (and/or confusing), but I had so much fun with the battling and exploring that I never noticed and just went along with it anyways. There's also a distinct lack of NPCs in the game, but I never had a problem with that (which I'll chalk up to having played Rare's Banjo-Kazooie games and DK64 on my old N64 and liking them).

New Super Mario Bros 2 - Everyone agrees that this game is probably among the worse Mario platformers, but that basically means it's an enjoyable game, rather than a classic. I also think it's much better than the original NSMB to which the game is basically an update to anyways, particularly in regards to level design. The DLC levels are also pretty good so I never felt that I wasted money on buying them. Ultimately however, you may want to pass on it, but it is still a fun game, none-the-less.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Policenaut posted:

Nintendo's kinda pissed that Japanese 3DS games are taking so long to come overseas, plans to start helping Japanese devs this year in getting them over.

I'd like to say stuff like Bravely Default and Layton x Wright would benefit from thsi, but I have this sinking feeling that it'll be more Beyond the Labyrinth and Senran Kagura.

Get me Bravely Default, and all is well!

And I still want to try out Beyond The Labyrinth! :colbert:

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Didn't bravely default turn out boring or am I confusing it with a different JRPG?

Rexroom posted:

You're probably thinking of that iPad game.

Yeah. All The Bravest is an iPad game made by Square Enix and was not at all the Bravely Default localization announcement that I hoped for. :smith:

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Policenaut posted:

Oh and hey, here's some news. Rune Factory 4 is coming to North America this Summer. Get hype for farming and beating up monsters!

A European release date announcement would be really nice! I'm not that interested in the series myself, but I do know someone who is.

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Etrian Odyssey 4 doesn't even have an EU release date. I'm not holding out any hope for this either :smith:

Well, the Etrian Odyssey games that got localized over here did kinda flop, so it's no surprise that we don't have one for EO4 really. Kinda sucks.
:smith::hf::smith:

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

The general goon consensus (and probably the consensus everywhere else) is that Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars was one of the best launch games for the 3DS.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I just remembered that Luigi's Mansion 2 comes out next month. It's gonna be a terrible, terrible wait for that :ohdear: I don't care what anyone says I love the poo poo out of the first one still to this day

You and me both! :hfive: I kinda hope they make it into one of the subseries of the Mario franchise, like the Wario series or Yoshi series.

It will never happen, will it? :negative:

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

I want that. So much!

Only two-three months left until Fire Emblem: Awakening and Luigi's Mansion 2 make it over to Europe now... Gonna spend that time working on my backlog and continue reading up any info I can find on the latter.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Got Dream Team today. Yesssssss!

I've gotten as far as completing my first visit to the Deep Dream or whatever it's called.

I have to say, I hope you're used to dodging enemies in the Dream World and using Luiginary Ball before you go down the Deep Dream for the first time. Bowser is a freaking nightmare if you're not, sporting multi-hit attacks that do decent damage for that point in the game (the boss could 5-6HKO Luiginary!Mario with its weaker hits, and 3-4HKO him with its stronger ones I've found, so you will WANT to avoid them), attacks multiple times per round (in comparison to Mario's only round), and its most powerful attack is also the most difficult to avoid in my opinion. The boost that Luigi gives Mario in the Dream World does not make up for Mario's paper defense at that point.

The defense of the boss is also high enough (and the minions it makes are annoying enough when they go) that you will want to do your only Luiginary Attack as often as possible to take out freaking everyone (and do good damage to the boss as well) when you're able to, to minimize the boss's offense as much as possible.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

petewhitley posted:

What is/becomes that good about it? It's really the one where right now I don't even understand what the point is. It seems like a Puzzle Swap variation with flowers after a couple of days with it. I'm not even sure if I'm playing it right, but I don't see anything else to do.

When you get far enough, you can get decorations for your garden and accept jobs from the florist, breeding them for in-game money for more seeds, decorations, and such.

I have to say, I didn't think much of it either, until I tried it out, and now I think it's fantastic, though I don't know why I changed my tune in regards to it.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

At least we're getting Bravely Default: Flying Fairy.

Granted, Nintendo had to step in so we'd actually get a localization. :v:

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

For anyone who has Mario and Luigi, I advice you to drink from the fountain on Mt. Pajamaja. Free HP and BP Restoration. And a drug trip! A glorious, glorious drug trip... :allears:

Also up to after Mt. Pajamaja. I tried out the Boss rematches. Bowser X is, like the real one, a nightmare to fight! Or maybe it's just me who's not used to his attacks. :smith:

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

Speaking of which, does anyone have an opinion on Dream Team? The only comment of substance I've heard so far is that it has a really, really long tutorial.

There's a long tutorial, and lots of tutorials afterward (but not quite as long as the aforementioned long tutorial), but the game itself is pretty good (tied with BiS for my favorite game), and I like the changes they've done to it, like having Boots (for jumping) and Hammer be separate substats of POW for example, and the fact that Mario and Luigi have different Bros. Attacks again (even if they're exactly like BiS's attacks, get Attack Pieces first, then the Bros Move). Dodging has also gotten a lot more sophisticated and difficult, and earlygame bosses (as well as powerful enemies) possess attacks and gimmicks that would previously be kept for lategame bosses. An example of that is Big Massif: an earlygame boss who will steamroll you with fast and powerful attacks if you're not careful, and who gets an attack bonus if you kill any of his minions.

The Giant Battles are better in this game than BiS, in my opinion. The last one is especially great. And this time, you can visit a certain place to battle giant bosses all the time if you want to.

I also like that if you "Rank Up" in this game, you get to pick a perk like more equipment slots, more stats per level, more EXP earned, passive bonuses in battle, etc. As you can't get every perk in the game, you get to decide how the brothers evolve throughout the game.

It's harder than any of the other M&L RPGs, and does away with some M&L traditions which were once standard. Remember that Bowser was the tutorial boss of every M&L game? Not so here: He marks the point where bosses actually become challenging, and Bowser himself is a nightmare to take down for me, since his attacks (and especially his most dangerous one) aren't easy to avoid, and he begins attacking consecutively once you've whittled his health down a bit.

Dialogue and characters are still gut-bustingly hilarious! Special mention character-wise must go to the Massif Bros and their obsession with being PRIME CUTS OF STEAK! Such large hams... :allears: Dialogue-wise, I advice you to drink from the Mt. Pajamaja Fountain for the first time, once you find it. You get lots of great dialogue when you drink from it the first time.

The game also has a twist at the end which will certainly catch M&L veterans off guard. And the final boss is a fun fight (even if my health was down to around a third of what I started out with when I finally took it out).

You get to unlock a Jukebox option once you complete it. And a Hard Mode option if you think Normal Mode wasn't hard enough.

Overall, it's very easy for me to recommend it as a Mario enthusiast, and as an RPG enthusiast.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Suaimhneas posted:

Augh, no wonder it took me several attempts. How would you attack him without all the dream Luigis hitting the minions, just skip all your own turns and kill him with counterattacks?

The boss marks the point where the game decides that it wants you dead. No boss will really be easy again after that one. I just learned his attacks so I could dodge and counter at the right time, thanks to the Boo Biscuits. It's very hard to do lots of damage to him if you don't want him to get the attack boost, so I did what I could the first time, died predictably, looked at what I could do better (namely pay attention to how his attacks work), and took him down the second time. I am not looking forward to battle him again on Hard Mode.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

pandaK posted:

Apparently it balances this out with blistering difficulty right off the bat.

Part of that difficulty stems from how advanced the turn battle mechanics have become in the series. The other part however is probably from the fact that enemies (and especially bosses) are just that more powerful statistically, and also sport more advanced, versatile attacks, even early on in the game.

Funnily enough, both Superstar Saga and Dream Team have me do a choice that I usually don't do in other games, and that is to make Luigi faster than Mario, because I find Luigi's attacks to be better for crowd control than Mario's, and then he gets his last and second-to-last attacks which are awesome boss killers. :allears:

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Suaimhneas posted:

Wow people weren't kidding about Mario & Luigi Dream Team becoming hard, the enemies on Mount Pajamaja are kicking my rear end. It's really becoming essential to dodge those attacks.

If you really want to try your luck, Mount Pajamaja also has the appearance of your first background enemy (bait it to the foreground with a Taunt Ball). It gives tons of Experience points at the point you're at, but is about as hard as Big Massif too. Be cautious around that one.

Sakurazuka posted:

Wait til you try some of the suped-up bosses in the Battle Ring, they hit like trucks and even if you can see the tells on the attacks you only have fractions of a second to react.

Bowser X is the stuff of nightmares...

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Whelp! Remember how I said how Dream Team was harder than any Mario & Luigi game before it? And that it has a Hard Mode? And that the boss in Dreamy Wakeport is unusually hard for the place? Big Massif can 2HKO Mario if he gets powered up in Hard Mode. :suicide: Have a nice time fighting him, fellow Hard Mode brothers.

I'm lucky I only needed two tries to kill the boss on both modes. Now to set off for the best parts of the game Mount. Pajamaja with the Massif Bros. again.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

(Hopefully they're gone in hard mode.)

I'm afraid not, which is pretty sad. As if your little 5-year old brother or sister is going to play on Hard Mode first? (Tip: gently caress no!) But the ones that can be skipped can still be skipped here. (And some of the dialogue is freaking hilarious!)

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

M&L Dream Team is good. Sure, it does tutorialize you a lot, but otherwise the gameplay, area and enemy design is perfectly fine, if perhaps a bit linear.

It can also be surprisingly hard, with incredibly elaborate enemy attack patterns, far more than in any of the earlier M&L games.

The bosses are especially elaborate: Things that wouldn't look out of place for the endgame bosses/final boss of BiS come rather early on bosses in Dream Team.

And they're pretty hard, as I've said many times before.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Oh, and the music is pretty original for a Mario game too. I'm not hearing a lot of recurring oldies (main SMB theme, Underground theme) in this one. (Except perhaps the tutorial music.)

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

Huh, there actually isn't. I figured someone would've made a thread about it, since it's been out everywhere outside of NA for a while. I guess I can make one later, unless someone else wants to do it. I'd need a witty thread title though.

Mario & Luigi - Year of Brotherly Love.

EDIT: On second thought, no. It's true, but not witty.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Rexroom posted:

That's right, I participated on an online course on obsessive autism and have (printed) certificates to prove it!

Show them to us then.

As far as Awakening goes, I'd say Hard is a viable choice of difficulty if you want challenge. That said, Lunatic is fine.

Lunatic+ on the other hand... :suicide:

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

From what I've seen of the 2DS, it's ok, but ugly as gently caress. Not having clamshell design is going backwards though, but it's clearly not aimed at me, so I don't care.

Also, it appears that Bravely Default is getting an expansion titled "for the Sequel", which may or may not be why it's coming out so late over here. :tinfoil:

I wouldn't bet on us getting that version though. :negative:

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Looks like Bravely Default has a new subtitle in Europe at least: When the Fairy Flies:

http://nintendoeverything.com/bravely-default-is-subtitled-where-the-fairy-flies-in-europe-new-screenshots/

I see they still have that (if not completely like the Japanese one), which pleases me. :allears: Still rather nonsensical though.

And I'm not sure if people saw this the last time I posted it, so I'm posting it here as well:

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/08/28/bravely-default-for-the-sequel-announced-for-3ds/

It's basically an expansion for Bravely Default, with easier controls, new story events, new difficulty levels, and an option to make battles go 4 times faster. It will also support old save files of the original, and will apparently be out as DLC (do not quote me on this, I am not sure if it is). It might be the version that the West might get, but I'm not gonna bet on it. :smith:

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Sire Oblivion posted:

This appeals to small children in ways that the 3DS didn't because...?

It's cheaper?

And the children won't break the handles on the clamshell design because they don't exist.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

ookiimarukochan posted:

Congratulations to the translators on coming up with a title which - when the penny drops - makes less sense than the Japanese one!

Well, it's not like they could have done anything else, as the subtitle is pretty much intended for reasons.

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

And I don't think anyone wants anything else from online Mario Party. Mario Party 2 and 3 are super fun with N64 emulator netplay and Skype, why can't they officially implement just that?

Everyone loves a good round of Mario Party.

Or rather, they love screwing everyone else over and the hilarity that comes from it. :allears:

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

ookiimarukochan posted:

I'm well aware of that - however in breaking the "dumb" Japanese name they've managed to make it less gramatically correct (trying VERY hard to not spoil the surprise)

(If they don't translate the "final" demo as well, they've done hosed up as there's a point in the main game where someone mentions something to you and you think "wait, did THAT happen in the demo" - my mind was genuinely blown)

At least it's there.

I do hope they translate the final demo, as Bravely Default is probably a game that'd benefit from having a demo to show you what you're going into.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

spud posted:

Thanks for the recommendations, never heard of Virtue or 9 doors, but will check 'em out. I I loved OOT on the N64, and felt it was pretty much perfect for the hardware and time, so how is the 3ds version so improved?

Better graphics, Water Temple gets a makeover that will make it easier to navigate along with boots (specifically Iron Boots) being equipped as any other normal item. Also, bosses are awailable for rematches again if you sleep in the bed in your house, so if you had a favorite boss, now's your chance to relive the fight again and again.

Also, Master Quest is awailable upon beating the game.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Esk1 posted:

ML dream team is pretty good. Opens up a bit slow but now that I'm 15 hrs in a really like it. Definitely doesn't top inside story from the ds if you haven't played that but a nice addition to the franchise.

Inside Story has Bowser as the main protagonist. It is a bit hard to top that.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

majormonotone posted:

Nothing will ever be as bad as Joke's End. I still hear that awful, grating music in my nightmares.

Nothing will ever be as bad as Joke's End due to the sheer fact that you are not required to split up and fight solo for a long time in the game.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

About the Bravery Default re-release/expansion that was announced recently: JP players will have the option to purchase the EN script as DLC, which suggests that the international release will indeed be based off the expanded game and not the original.

Awesome! :cool: Now all we need is a release date for the west, and we're set!

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The current trend of delayed releases in the US will never not be funny to me after the last two decades of six-month-delayed, and even cancelled, PAL-region releases :allears:. There really is no reason this should be happening now though.

I live in the PAL region myself, so I know how you feel.

Which, incidentally, means I'm rather happy about getting Bravely Default in 2013. Still, I agree that the recent release date pattern is kinda strange.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

RuBisCO posted:

Confirmation that the Americas/Europe is getting the enhanced version of Bravely Default(:For the Sequel).

https://twitter.com/BDFF_OFFICIAL/status/374561038974189568

And the BDFF developers keep on delivering the good stuff. :cool:

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

ookiimarukochan posted:

"Omnious Claw"

I think that's supposed to be "Ominous Crow", actually.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Venusaur has a Mega Evolution? Awesome! :swoon: It's my favorite starter Pokémon out of the Kanto starters, and my favorite starter Pokémon in general!

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Policenaut posted:

If I recall, around E3 some insider made the claim that Nintendo had to choose between Bravely Default and DQ7 and they picked Bravely Default.

I believe that was proven to be false.

But Bravely Default is coming out in the west thanks to Nintendo, which is good.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Terper posted:

Oh hey, a Bravely Default trailer in English, FF12 voice acting and all.

Sounds like Square is doing the voicework... which makes me sad, as they haven't really been on the ball with their recent voice direction. :negative:

Bravely Default English Trailer posted:

Tiz Arrior

But at least they make up for it with these lame fantastic punny names. :allears: It's like they've taken a lesson from Nintendo's localization team, but I think the name is actually as Square intended. This game... :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

It looks like it's playing on the same engine FFIV DS used only updated for better graphics and textures. I approve.

FFIV DS engine with ability to turn off random encounters at will (or turn it up to eleven for grinding purposes). I approve!

And my wallet is gonna hurt because I heard about the Collector's Edition and I want it badly! :negative: Unless the CE kinda sucks.

• Locked thread