Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Zest posted:

So, amazon being awesome and delivering my Hori screen protectors early was nice.

HOW THE HELL DO YOU APPLY THESE THINGS?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBeXhiXCMUE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Zest posted:

Awesome! Thanks! This is probably the cleanest application of a screen protector I've had :stare:

Yeah, Hori stands alone at the top when it comes to gaming accessories.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Haraksha posted:

Does the screen protector have to be Hori? In Taiwan, I found MORI screen protectors. They're Japanese, but I know nothing else about them. Also, one offers fingerprint protection, but I wonder if it actually does anything.

This is one of those times wherein you realize you bought a knock off.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

ropesnake posted:

Is there any word on new XL colors? The ones out right now make it look like a toy.

I haven't seen a decent pic of the blue XL, but it honestly looks amazing.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

dianekwon posted:

Do you mean to say that I could replace a XL case with that of another? I'm not really much of a fan of either blue or red and would much rather have a purple one, but I don't think there will be one out in time for Fire Emblem. Do they sell those separately? Is it pretty simple to remove and add them?

No, it's incredibly hard.

http://www.ign.com/wikis/nintendo-3ds/3DS_XL_Shell_Swapping

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Or plan on getting Luigi's Mansion 2, maybe.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I remember using it to control the direction the vacuum went and such. I can only imagine the second requiring the Pro.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Yeah, I managed to score a bunch of the best DS games for 100 a few months ago on the Mart.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Drizvolta posted:

Heads up, the cashier at ebGames(:canada:) told me that Fire Emblem Awakening doesn't have a Street date.

EB Games/Gamestop is never to be trusted.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Just picked up a the white XL bundled in with super mario 3d land. Looking forward to the new games coming out until I realised they're coming at least 1-2 months after the US. Why do you do it Nintendo? Why do you hate Europe :smith:

You guys get all the cool colors so it evens out.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

alg posted:

Picked up a 3DS XL on sale at Best Buy so I would have one for the new Pokemon. Holy moly Super Mario 3D :allears: I wasn't sold on the 3D thing until I started playing this.

I definitely got the invincible tanooki on the first boss level :kiddo:

Nooooo you won't get the shiny stars if you pick up the invincible suit.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

pandaK posted:

The OP lists the Hori screen protector for the 3DS, but do they have one for the XL?

Yup! http://www.amazon.com/HORI-Nintendo-3DS-Screen-Protective-Filter/dp/B008HPAXZ2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359739527&sr=8-1&keywords=hori+xl

I have them on my XL and love it.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Oh yeah, forgot about Theatrhythm. KI was actually pretty rad then? I thought it looked pretty dumb after that whole kick stand thing.

I'm gonna be that guy and say I hated both titles. I sold KI to get 3D Land and Theatrhythm for Adventure Time.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Some people like different things. No reason to fight about it.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

So I've decided I want a 3DS. I've used one before for like 20-25 minutes and didn't really have a problem with the screen size, but I've never used an XL. I have a friend willing to sell me a regular one for $80, and it's Aqua Blue. Do you guys think it's worth the extra hundo for the XL?

Yes, buy the XL.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

lanzy posted:

I would definitely say it isn't worth throwing 100 dollars out just for a bigger screen. I have a normal 3ds and it's just the right size to be portable. What's the deal, does everyone here still wear cargo pants or something?

I carry a backpack with my Kindle, school stuff, and my XL.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Sarchasm posted:

What time do games go live on the eShop? Midnight Western?

Midnight eastern.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

^^It was Japan-only, last time I checked. AU is still limited to blue/red/silver, last time I checked.

A white XL already exists in Japan but it's not getting a standard release in NA because white models traditionally sell far less than every other colour, according to Reggie.

I think white is in the UK, too if you get it bundled with MK7.

Ineffiable posted:

Wasn't the white DS Lite the most common dslite (or was that partly due to it being produced more often than the other colors and not due to demand?)

I think the white was the only color available for awhile and anyone who had an original DS knew that the lite was an honest upgrade, so they ran out to buy it.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Louisgod posted:

Pretty sure it's midnight western since NOA is an Redmond.

I think they push it out as early as possible. I got Sticker Star and Layton at around 12:30 EST.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I would be running for new colors if 1) they changed what I'm looking at (Most just change the outside color. White is white everywhere, though) and 2) if black didn't look so drat smooth.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

silfay posted:

Ugh, so amazon doesn't ship XLs to australia and the only other place I've seen that allows shipping to australia, is selling them for 80 dollars more than amazon. Does anyone know any other places that don't charge so much?

You could look into a package forwarder.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I think you have to log into your Club Nintendo account on your 3DS too.

https://club.nintendo.com/link-shop-account.do

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
How are people liking FE:A? I remember playing FE on a GBA years and years ago and I hated it. However, I was like 15 or so when that one was released.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Still ~30 for me. If that drops, I'm buying it.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Amazon has it for the same price.

http://www.amazon.com/Paper-Mario-Sticker-Star-Nintendo-3DS/dp/B0053BCMAC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361064223&sr=8-1&keywords=sticker+star

I really hope they match the Pokemon B/W2 prices soon. I have a ton of Amazon credit.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Saoshyant posted:

Everyone but the Americans get shafted. It's not a specific country. The Japanese pay absurd money on their videogames. The Europeans and Australians do so, as well. It's not a matter of currency -- it's how much the companies figure out they can push people to pay.

Don't forget the Americans are also the only ones getting a charger with their 3XL's.

Isn't the charger thing because of laws requiring it?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
This is probably stupid to ask, but does anyone have any idea with Amazon will get more copies of FE:A? I have like $37 in Amazon credit and can get the game for around $3.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Jesus, these Layton games just do not stop.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I'm actually kind of disappointed that DKCR3D is a port. I loved the Wii one so much that I have it practically memorized and I'm no entirely sure if I want to buy it again just to have it be portable.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Chronojam posted:

Yes, it's absurd to talk in terms of sectors, commonly being only 512 bytes, when hard drive storage space is now on the ~1,100,000,000,000 byte scale. Blocks on the other hand are ~1,000x the size of a sector, and describing flash memory that's generally ~1,000x to ~1,000,000x smaller than hard drive capacities.

Are you supposed to be plugging a hard drive, or a flash card, into your 3DS/XL? It's nothing to do with being charming, it's about the technology.

I think Nintendo uses blocks simply because they're easier to understand than GB. For example, some person might not understand that 1024MB makes 1GB and that their card only has 4GB/4096MB, but they'll understand that they have 2000 blocks and one game is 100 (for example).

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Detective No. 27 posted:

I just picked up my XL. Quick question before I start the system transfer: Is the bottom part supposed to easily pry off? It's still screwed in, but I can kinda pry it no problem. Is everyone's like this?

I'm not sure what you mean by "bottom part"

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I hope I'm decent at HarmoKnight. From my understanding of Taiko and that DS rhythm game, Japanese rhythm games follow some unknown-to-Americans beat and it takes a bit (not long) to get into, but I always end up sucking at the super hard levels.

No one can see me on DDR, though.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Harry Privates posted:

Anyone buy Luigi or Pokemon Dungeon and not want the code? I could PayPal you some money for 1.

Same offer, but for an XL.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Terraplane posted:

I just bought an XL and Luigi's Mansion, and got Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask as my free game. I've never played this series before, should I play the older games before I start this one or is Miracle Mask a good starting point?

The game can be played out of order, but if you like that one, you should check out the others.

BKPR posted:

For those upgrading, I took my original 3DS to Gamestop and got $78 for it. Worth considering if you're too lazy to sell it yourself.

Jesus, Gamestop has no plans to stop ripping people off. That's less than half off retail.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

deadwing posted:

Yeah, god forbid you buy something, use it for two years, and get nearly half of your money back on resale. Gamestop are monsters.

Yeaaaaah, that's not the point I was making. The average for a used 3DS is upwards 125 for one in perfect condition (box and all), Gamestop is giving you ~50 bucks less than that and then selling it for $129. They could easily make a profit off the same console if they paid $100 flat for the console and sold it at the same $129 price. I don't know how selling something that costs $170 for $78 bucks can not be seen as being ripped off. Also, not everyone has had the console for 2 years because, ya know, it's still for sale.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Does anyone know what has to be done to get higher star ratings in Luigi's Mansion? I have a coin with two stars on it in the first mission, but there's an empty spot (for another coin) next to it.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
People are mentioning that Miyamoto has "every puzzle piece". What does that mean and how do I get them?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I really wish they made a Pikachu XL that had a black interior and flipped the Pikachu image.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
It's pretty long. Some missions take upwards 30 minutes and I've only done the first set (A or whatever they're called). There's also the added bonus of going back to catch a hidden boo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Is there a reason why they had to translate it to UK English instead of just using the American translation? I imagine you just have to add a few Us here and there and can call it a day.

• Locked thread