Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders
Just finished 999 for the first time. This game is weird. Onward to my next attempt I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

Hobo Siege posted:

The packin is 2 gigs.

It's 4 gigs with the XL.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

noirstronaut posted:

I'm actually kind of disappointed that DKCR3D is a port. I loved the Wii one so much that I have it practically memorized and I'm no entirely sure if I want to buy it again just to have it be portable.

I think it might be worth it if the port avoids the waggle control scheme. That's what I'm most eager to find out about.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

Shelf Adventure posted:

All the talk about Japan being good for streetpasses is true so much so that the 10 streetpass limit is actually an issue at times. I live in a city, but not even the biggest in the area and one day I stopped to clear the streetpasses and had a total count of 36. I didn`t even go anywhere that geeky or student friendly and probably would have gotten more had I stopped and cleared the streetpasses more often. Quite interesting as a straw poll of what games people are playing in Japan.

Wait, if you go over the 10 it queues up behind them? I thought you just missed any streetpasses until you cleared it out.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

homeless snail posted:

I'm really liking the Harmoknight demo. It looks pretty superficially similar to Bit Trip Runner, but Harmoknight is more of an actual rhythm game rather than Runner's excruciatingly precise QTE set to music. Pretty cool game.

Maybe it's just my taste in things, but I did not like the Harmoknight demo. I have been playing a ton of Runner 2 lately and that might be coloring my opinion, but I thought I liked rhythm games in general Theatrhythm is my most played 3DS game (and last year's 3DS GOTY by my opinion).

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

Viewtiful Jew posted:

This guy managed to do it. I imagine since the puzzle was released halfway through PAX he had a 3DS and charger on him at all times at the convention center to catch every last elusive pink puzzle piece.

My XL made it through each day at PAX without running low on battery and I was on it a lot collecting passes and playing with people in the handheld lounge.

As for the new puzzle, I received it via spot pass Saturday night and had all the piece by the end of the day's first panel. Street Passes weren't hard to come by at all. I do feel bad for people who didn't connect to wifi and get the puzzle via spotpass though, I was sort of surprised that the new puzzles can't be shared virally via streetpass.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Speaking of Rhythm Games. I've had Theatrhythm on back order from Amazon for like half a month with no idea when/if they're ever actually going to restock it. Of course there's a demo up on the eShop but no full version to download. Why do you taunt me Squeenix?

I do wish they'd put it up. It's the only game I can think of in my existing collection that I would rebuy as a digital release now that I can transfer my save from the cart. It was my 3DS GOTY for 2012 and I've love to have access to it without having to remember to bring the cart with me when I travel.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders
They said they're going to do everything they can to get the main game out by September and then patch in the stretch goals via free updates post-launch. Whether or not that'll work out who knows but, they seem pretty committed to an on time delivery of the game.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Yo NA dudes, Newegg has Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D for $27.99 shipped (promo code EMCXSVR222):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ID=tqw0bb6qc6az

Thanks! Couldn't pass on that, even if it means I'll have to take the Theatrmthymn cart out of my 3ds for the first time since I got it.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

Pyrovile posted:

Prior to playing Theatrhythm the only Final Fantasy games I had played were the first one and Crystal Chronicles and I still had a ton of fun with it.

Seconding. The only FF game I've played to completion is FF9 and I loved Theatrhythm. It's the only game I own as a cartridge that I'd re-buy digitally if SE released it on the eshop. It hasn't left my 3DS for more than a day since I bought it last number.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

WalrusWhiskers posted:

Is Shin Megami Tensei 4 really 50 dollars everywhere? It seems kind of expensive for a 3DS game...

Expensive for a 3DS game, but it's as deep an experience you'd find in a 460 console game. With the promotional credit I thought it was a no brainer. I had been jonzing for a RPG and I haven't really played through one since either FFIX or Skies of Arcadia it's really scratching that itch for me.

I've all but abandoned mt Animal Crossing town for it and I think that if I get a chance to dig into it tonight it'll become my most played 3DS game.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

Scher posted:

Like, SMT4 is a game that requires a bit of effort out of someone in order to complete the game, but the game itself is kind of short for a modern JRPG. It only takes about 30 hours to complete, but a lot of people think longer is always better for whatever reason.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I've sunk about 80 hours into SMT4 and I haven't finished it yet. Is it really considered a short game?

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

Awesome! posted:

If you just blast through the main storyline and skip pretty much everything else you're probably looking at like 30-40 hours for a first playthrough. Pretty sure I'm around 100 currently and the last thing I did was the challenge quests for neutral so I'm relatively close to the end.

This is exactly where I am (my save file says about 80, but my play log is over 100 thanks to some deaths and reloading of saves) I'm on the neutral path - which I've been led to believe is longer than the others because you have to do more of the challenge quests. I'm stuck on that Beelzebub fight which I guess is optional?. I guess if I knew where I was going a little better and had any prior experience with the series I might have gone through it faster.

Oh well - it's been excellent I haven't been taken with a JRPG since FFIX or Skies of Arcadia. I hope Atlus gets it together and gets it out in Europe.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

Unoriginal posted:

The sold out in exactly the order I was expecting. Luckily, I needed a white one so I had some time. Glad I keep this thread open all the time or I would have forgotten to check this morning and been screwed.

Which ones went first? I grabbed a green one earlier (Hero of Hyrule colors only!) and they were all still in stock.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders
So I'm pretty sure I'm going to 'upgrade' my XL to the gold Zelda XL later this month. My only concern is about the coloring of the 3DS on the inside. On my standard blue XL the inside is black which isn't at all distracting from the screens, but if it were gold I'm wondering if that would make the screen feel smaller or in general lead to a worse experience when using the device.

Do any of the existing XLs have a non-black/white interior and has anyone in their experience found it distracting?

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

Gutcruncher posted:

A thing just showed up in the mail, and I am unreasonably excited about it.

I just got my shipping notice. It's the most exciting bit of plastic I've ever ordered.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

13/f/cali posted:

I'm getting the Zelda XL tomorrow (upgrading from an old blue 3ds) and from what I've read elsewhere it seems like I won't have to redownload all my games after system transferring, but will I be able to use the same SD card? I am under the impression that after I system transfer I can just pop out my 16GB and put it in the XL. Is that correct?

I'm doing this tomorrow as well, I'm under the impression that I won't have to re-download things if I move the SD card to the new system. Am I wrong?

edit: IGNORE. I apparently have no reading comprehension today.

citizenlowell fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Nov 22, 2013

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders
For what it's worth I hadn't played a jrpg since FFIX and I loved every minute of the 120ish hours I dumped into SMTIV. The combat system was fun and the story wasn't overbearing. I felt like there was just enough plot between areas.

My only knock against the game is that I found the over world map confusing at times and didn't always remember how to get to the places I qas headed. It still one of my favorite 3ds games thus far.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

alcharagia posted:

Even the airship that should be good for bypassing the world maps is ponderous to use. Basically once you get a Terminal somewhere you should never walk there again.

The issue with the airship is that it becomes available so late in the game that you already have access to so many terminals. My brother actually missed it on his first play through.

Also you can only land it in certain locations and those aren't always in the best spots on the map. I mainly used it to fly back to one landing pad that was super close to a terminal.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders
Man, I'd love to know how many 3DSes Nintendo sold today. I walked into my local Target at 7 p.m. tonight and managed to snag the last Zelda bundle they had in the case. The tag below it said $219, but it rang up $150. It was the only 3DS left in the case so I wonder if there was some confusion. I had picked one up at launch, but for $70 difference it'll get returned and I'll keep this one.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders
In the year of our lord Luigi:

Steps: 332,510

45 titles / 325:39 hours

Shin Megami Tensei IV 120:14
StreetPass Mii Plaza 55:14
Animal Crossing 36:26
Zelda: ALBW 26:29
Theatrhythm 13:42
DCKR 12:30
Luigi's Mansion 9:36

I've been getting a ton of use out of those new Streetpass games it seems. Still need to pour a few more hours into Luigi's Mansion and DCKR, but it's really been the year of the 3DS for me.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

Macaluso posted:

The 3D in DKCR3D is sweet as candy. It looks amazing

I've been playing through it and I never use the 3D. I've found that the frame rate starts to dip in most levels while it's on to a point of distraction. I love the game though, my only complaint is that I wish I could remap the controls to my liking. I'm using the d-pad control scheme, but I'd prefer not to have roll on a shoulder button.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders
I just finished up Donkey Country Returns 3D, which is a lovely game very much playing - I can't wait for the Wii U follow up, Movement is very much unlike the other 2D Nintendo platformers I've played and it took me some getting used to, but once I did I really loved. There's nothing better than keeping your momentum just right so that you do a perfect run through a level or checkpoint. I really can't imagine how people manged this on the Wii having to waggle for roll. I wish they'd put the old DKC games back on the eShop so that I could give those a shot.

I collected KONG in every stage and I beat all the K stages, is the Golden Temple stuff all new to the 3DS version? Thinking about going back and trying to collect all the puzzle pieces too, is there any kind of reward for that?

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

Macaluso posted:

Ya know the new levels you get after completing all the temple levels in DKCR3D(especially the 6th and 8th temples jesus gently caress) are really easy in comparison. And I'm glad! It feels like a nice breezy reward after putting up with all the previous temples' bullshit. Like those levels (and the last boss) made me actually angry and I would have to put the 3DS down and pick it back up again a little bit later. But man was it satisfying getting all the orbs. So now there's these couple of nice breezy levels (at least until getting to the final once which is the really hard one from what I understand)

I just blew through those levels last night, it's a bit weird how easy they are compared to everything else and it almost puts you at a disadvantage when you do get to 9-9 which is probably on par with the harder special temple levels. It was frustrating, but satisfying to beat. It's definitely the kind of thing where you feel yourself getting better and being able to rush through a level flawlessly to get to the one jump that's still giving you trouble is neat. Onward to mirror mode!

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

Macaluso posted:

edit: That loving jump with the bobbing exploding cherry platforms, the one where one bobs faster than the others. I can't make that loving jump for the life of me. :negative:

edit: And of course when I make a post bitching about how hard it is I finally manage to beat it. with like 8 lives left :v:

I think it took me two hours to get down. Timing the roll off the first cherry to land on the third was tricky.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders
I set up a homepass today using a wifi extender and it's been great - I'm pretty much flooded with streetpasses, but I haven't hit a single ALBW streetpass which seems a bit weird. I wonder if people just don't take the time to activate it for that game.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

Awesome! posted:

I've been getting two or three links pretty consistently per batch of 9 passes. Probably just getting unlucky. Which MACs are you using?

I've been cycling through the MACs from a guide I found on reddit. 4E:53:50:4F:4F:40-9 and A-F.

Alteisen posted:

Probably, you have to talk a specifc NPC to get it to activate.

Its pretty lovely anyway.

They're a fun distraction, but I'll agree that they could have done more with it.

citizenlowell fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Feb 2, 2014

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

Regy Rusty posted:

Just the Kong letters. Jigsaw pieces are purely for extras and for the challenge of collecting them.

Also worth noting that once you beat all the levels and collect all the Kong letters you get a mirror mode in which you can continue to collect the same puzzle pieces.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

vulturesrow posted:

For all you guys who have set up homepass, just a couple questions for clarification:

1. Each MAC I use only gives me one Mii and then I have to cycle it? I'm not sure I'm following that part of it.
2. I'm using a second router with DD-WRT. Has anyone used the scripts in the GBATemp homepass thread to automate MAC cycling?

Each MAC address is functionally a StreetPass relay, so you should get 1-6 depending on whether or not you've passed the same Miis using a different MAC within the eight hour window for a new pass.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

Unoriginal posted:

My husband said he was going to preorder the CE for me on his account (he has Prime) and today I just saw that he did not. gently caress.

Not that this helps you now, but you should know that if he has prime he can share the functions of prime with non-prime accounts (http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200444180).

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

Leofish posted:

I was able to find Bravely Default today. Best Buy was of no help, but TRU had a couple copies left. :dance: That game has been good so far.

All the Best Buys and Targets need me don't have it. The website for Target says it's online only. Either it sold out quickly or retailers didn't get copies.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

raditts posted:

The Target I went to yesterday had a couple copies, even had a stand-up display for it and everything. I didn't buy it because I figured I could let it wait until I finished some of the games I already have and get it when it costs a bit less. I didn't think that was going to be one of those ones where they don't make many copies of it...

My Target had the standee for it, just no games. I wonder if it's odd release schedule caused issues. It came out on a Friday right? Maybe stores aren't getting it until tomorrow.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

RMZXAnarchy posted:

I think somebody earlier in this thread mentioned something about how Nintendo might be limiting the amount of physical copies of games they ship to stores to try and push digital sales but I can't imagine that's true as its not like everybody has internet.

If that's their evil plan it worked. I had a Best buy gift card and bought a digital copy of their website.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

Chronojam posted:

NES Remix II is more than enough good news for me.

I'm really not sure why it isn't just DLC or why these games can't have a leader board.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

Mercury Crusader posted:

I have the game on the Wii, and trying to play with the sideways Wii control method ala an NES game, while possible, is pretty bad, so I end up having to use the Classic Controller to make it more playable. I would think, for a game trying to be as 8-bit as possible, it would have a simpler control scheme.

To provide a counter point, I picked up the 3DS version after reading the long list of changes the RCR guy listed on his website for this game and I've been enjoying it a lot. The changes do seem to address some of the concerns people have had and I think the game is much improved over it's original release.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

NESguerilla posted:

Holy poo poo Donkey kong returns is hard. I've died like 20 times on the first boss

It's all up hill from there.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call, out this year in NA!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6OG9vWOdlg

Really hoping this one gets an eShop release. It's game I'd love to always have with me without having to lug a cart around if I'm playing through something else. I don't get why they never put the first one up.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

Joramun posted:

I mostly want Theatrhythm: Kingdom Hearts. That series has gorgeous music and would provide tons of playable characters, especially if they include the Disney stable.

I'm pretty surprised that they haven't cranked out versions for other series. Doing a partnership with Nintendo to incorporate Zelda music would be pretty amazing for instance.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders
The Tomodatchi Demo was neat, but pretty short. It seems to lock you out of a lot of content and only lets you do five tasks for the Miis on your island. It's fun though and I'd be interested in seeing more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

keithy george posted:

Played the Mario Golf demo and was wowed by the 3D effect, but underwhelmed by the game. It reminded me of the GBA game, in that it just seems too easy. I believe the original Game Boy Golf had you working out your own distance and selecting your own clubs. This can be pretty alienating but it's very much in the spirit of what golf is about. In the Camelot golf games, almost all your shots are a matter of 'I want the ball to go here, so I point there and it goes there'.

Did you switch it into manual mode?

• Locked thread