Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

hey hey hey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgBmp44ld_o

Nintendo just posted this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Abyss is a great game hidden behind bad pacing and an insufferable protagonist. But it is seriously a good game.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Birth By Sleep had the same MP-less skill system and did it better.

Re:coded also did it well. But BBS's was horribly broken and you could get massively powerful commands and abilities super early without a huge amount of grinding. At least in 3D you can't get the ultimate commands until late in the game due to being unable to get the best Dream Eaters until then.

Edit: and the complaints about the drop system always make me laugh, just chomp on a Drop-Me-Not before boss battles, they throw those things at you like candy.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jan 28, 2013

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Pureauthor posted:

The Drop System isn't an issue in practice thanks to Drop-Me-Nots being plentiful, but neither do I see any reason for them to have included it in the first place.

The rest of the gameplay is pretty good.

it forces you to switch between the characters. They wanted you to be constantly switching between them so you couldn't get too far as one guy or the other.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

DarkHamsterlord posted:

I think KH3D's drop system would have been slightly more tolerable if, when you let yourself drop during a boss fight, it didn't get all its HP back. The game keeps track of your HP value (which caused me to die a lot when I dropped and forgot I was almost dead with the other guy), so it should keep track of bosses too. Alternatively, turn off the drop meter during bosses.

Basically, just make it so when you drop it's only annoying, without also erasing progress and adding an extra layer of lovely design.

I had thought they were gonna patch this out of the JP version and remove it from the international release but they didn't which was baffling!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Rirse posted:

Playing a bit more, and I really liking the new Paper Mario. I was a bit down on playing it after hearing how simplified it was and the lack of partners, but the game is generally fun. I do like the strange combat system, and the first chapter boss was a actual legit tough boss fight.

All the boss fights are basically puzzles. If you are having a legitimately hard time with anybody but the end boss, you're not solving the puzzle. There are always one or two Things that can trivialize bosses.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

the answer to "Which Fire Emblem should I play??" is 7 or 9. Always 7 or 9.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Drizvolta posted:

Heads up, the cashier at ebGames(:canada:) told me that Fire Emblem Awakening doesn't have a Street date.

Um it's coming out next week in NA?

Edit: nvm, drat you Canada!!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Zeeman posted:

loving hell, looks like VLR just zapped an 8 hour save. I saved during a novel sequence, but while in a puzzle room, and now all I get when I try to launch it is a black screen. Just ridiculously frustrating.

This is, unfortunately, a well known glitch. Never save in puzzle rooms.

I haven't played the game but I've seen it brought up frequently.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I got KI for Christmas and I have been playing it non-stop all month, it is tons of fun. And people still play the online multiplayer! I log on there at random times and can always find a match.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

orenronen posted:

When you download from the eShop, there's an option to postpone the download until the 3DS isn't used. The game will start downloading once you close the lid on the 3DS, even if the eShop app isn't open. You can even stop an active download midway through and let it resume later, when the 3DS lid is closed.

you actually have to close the Eshop before it will start downloading if you choose Download Later. I found this out the hard way after leaving something to download overnight!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

the local game store I shop at didn't get FE in either, apparently Nintendo delayed the shipping of the units and it's gonna be in on Wednesday. I dunno if Gamestop will be getting it sooner or not.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

zerox147o posted:

At this point I feel obligated to finish it, but will be selling it and picking up Fire Emblem before the credits finish rolling.

Every boss has a hint for how to beat it, and every boss has multiple Things that can be used to beat them. Some are super obvious, like the big Pokey being in a baseball stadium, and the name of the place, while others can be tougher. The final boss requires very specific things, though, which can be a pain. The entire game is basically a puzzle, forcing you to figure out how to advance. Battles are puzzles to figure out if you can win in one turn. I can see how it would be boring if you skip all the battles.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The Fisher King posted:

I know! I was so excited to hear about it, because my cartridge copies of DWM and DWM2 were stolen last year.

But, it looks like Squeenix is going to disappoint once again, just like they're doing with the remake of FFX for the Vita.

FFX HD is for the Vita? Since when?

Edit:

ImpAtom posted:

It's sort of weird to go "you don't do fights because stickers are thrown around" and then go "I don't want to use my stickers."

It's also weird to say Nintendo made a non-game while simultaneously boasting about actively avoiding the parts that make it a game. Also, the boss fights aren't so much trial and error if you've used the Things in random battles to figure out what they do. And again, there are hints...

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Feb 14, 2013

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Cold Sprunk posted:

Just bought a 3DS XL and loving it so far. Would love to friend some goons on there. Is there a friend code thread, or can I just drop mine in here?

This thread has unofficially become that

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Laser Spider posted:

Did it actually sell well or did Nintendo just not print very many copies, expecting a lot of people to buy it from the eShop? From what I have heard it's a little of both, at least.

they had some weird distribution problem, from what I heard. It arrived really early in Canada and several days late in most of the US

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Valsu posted:

I got one from Fire Emblem: Awakening. No idea how many new puzzles were released.

the FE:A puzzle came out like a week or two ago

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I put a lovely Hyperkin screen protector on my 3DS, and it's scratched all to hell already. Is there an easy way to remove it and put a Hori one on? Or am I screwed?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

You have to have played the game in the past month or something.

Then again, I still get MK7 content and I haven't played that in a while

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

It'd be pretty silly in this day and age for Nintendo not to release a handheld in a bunch of colors. It's tradition at this point.

Also, there will definitely be a few people who were on the fence about purchasing it before who will see one of those colors and say "I absolutely must have this RIGHT NOW!"

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I can't play Kid Icarus without at least some 3D, it really helps for judging distance. See also Mario 3D Land.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

MTV Crib Death posted:

Figured it out. The country was set to Anguilla in the profile.

You know, it blows my mind that United States/Canada aren't the top choices on country lists in stuff. I've street passed with several people with their country listed as Anguilla. I don't even know where that is :confused:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The thing that sucks about the spotpass gems ending is completing all the in-game achievements is gonna be really hard.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I wish the 3DS had been out when I was in college, that would have owned :smith:

I always get a few when I go to Hockey games, at least!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I only use the 3D in games where it adds something, like Mario Kart 7, Super Mario 3D Land, or Kid Icarus.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I still have a bunch of older puzzles missing 1-4 pieces each :negative: it sucks because anyone with the final pieces I need also have a pink piece I don't have, which I always take when available.

gently caress you Mario 3D Land puzzle

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Tora Tora Torrents posted:

I just "beat" Mario 3D Land, and now it appears I've unlocked special stages. My first impression is that these are even better than the normal stages. Are they all this awesome?!

I hope you liked that extended tutorial, the actual game starts now

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I just moved into a new apartment two days ago, which is at ground level at a pretty busy intersection near some high schools. I woke up this morning randomly with three streetpasses that weren't there when I went to bed. I think I'm gonna like this new place.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

So far this year I have played

FE: Awakening 57:28
Kid Icarus Uprising 48:09
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon 17:08
Wario Land II 8:42 hehe
Harmoknight 6:07

Yeah this sure has been an interesting year!!!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Porkchop Express posted:

So I keep hearing how good fire emblem is, but I don't like RTS games. How much will this hamper my enjoyment of it? The last RTS game I played was FF Tactics, so admitidly it's been a while.

Final Fantasy Tactics is not a RTS game. You're thinking of Starcraft or Total Annihilation or something like that.

FE:A is also not a RTS game. But I will echo trying the demo.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Asnorban posted:

Will there be any issues if I buy Fire Emblem now and start playing it on my old 3DS knowing that I will be getting an XL in a few weeks? I remembered reading about some nightmare on transferring stuff between systems when the XL first came out, but don't remember if that was just for the ambassador games or also for game save files. This thread finally sold me on it.

Nightmare? The only thing that was a pain was if you were trading in your original 3DS, since the system transfer required both systems to be connected to the internet. It is really easy.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Saoshyant posted:

Well, that much I knew already. I just expected it to have a date, but I guess it's too soon for that.

I never cared much for the series, but I do wonder if the next one will be entirely focused on a new Smash Bros, similarly to how there was one dedicated exclusively to Pokémon a while ago. On the other hand, that's probably comparing apples and oranges and Smash wouldn't merit an entire feature dedicated to it.

They just announced a few minutes ago that it's gonna be June 11th at 7am PST

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Ularg posted:

Oh god, you don't really want live updates of me being embarrassed on how deceivingly hard Mario can be? I haven't played a game like it since Mario Sunshine so I'm not that good to begin with.

Wait until you beat World 8 :ssh:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

A game on a more powerful system has better graphics? :monocle:

Edit: you only have one item slot in Lttp, and can't actively block with your shield. How silly.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Ages is also more colorful, whereas Seasons has that drab and awful Underworld. And the loving dance minigame :suicide:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Tribladeofchaos posted:

Whoa now you dissing Subrosia? And I can do the Seasons dance minigame in my sleep, compared to the Ages goron one which is just terrible.

I must have blocked the Ages stuff out of my memory. Oh god, that island. It's all coming back :gonk:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I Might Be Adam posted:

Yeah, I was going to buy Sticker Star because it seemed like a different kind of gameplay outside of NSMB2 and Super Mario 3D Land. I have NSMB on Wii and Mario Galaxy 2, so I was looking for something a bit different but he went on and on about how dumbed down it was compared to the Thousand Year Door and how much less of an RPG it was.

It's not dumbed down, it just focuses on exploration and puzzle solving instead of RPG stuff and story.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

If I do a system transfer, my Animal Crossing save will be safe, right?

RIGHT???

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

They better release the Luigi XL in the US, I'm passing on the AC one in the hopes that they do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

big mean giraffe posted:

Man this would really get so many people angry.

We don't have a law requiring English, either. But no product would sell unless it were in English.

~~the Free Market at work~~

EDIT: Partners in Time was such a piece of garbage. I beat it in ten hours, at like level 25. It has almost nothing to it. No side quests or areas. No fun. Nothing.

I guess if you load your completed save there's an extra boss or something but who the gently caress would ever play that game after beating it?

• Locked thread