Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Well, I sold my 3DS back in June from a rather long drought of worthwhile games and a pending move that I needed the extra cash for more, but after 15 hours of overtime at work and the pending release of a bunch of good poo poo, I picked up a blue XL from Best Buy this morning.

Just to echo the sentiment, buy the loving XL unless you have some super pressing need for the extra portability. This thing feels way nicer than my original did. It's worlds apart. I'm gonna go dive in to Paper Mario now and try to drown out the sobs from my wallet as it waits for what's coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Cheap rear end Bitch posted:

So I'm seriously considering getting a 3DS XL, especially with the new Fire Emblem game coming out soon. I was wondering what is currently the best deal? Is it still the Target Mario Kart 7/3DS XL bundle?

If you can still find one of those. Otherwise, you still have a few hours left to grab a basic XL from best buy for 180

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

If anyone else bought an XL from best buy (or is still waiting for a better deal) they're dropping them an extra :10bux: this week as an unadvertised sale. I just stopped by and got my receipt adjusted for the 170 price from last weeks 180.

Regular 3ds is back to full MSRP.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Rirse posted:

Playing a bit more, and I really liking the new Paper Mario. I was a bit down on playing it after hearing how simplified it was and the lack of partners, but the game is generally fun. I do like the strange combat system, and the first chapter boss was a actual legit tough boss fight.

I haven't had a whole lot of challenge in this or NSMB2, but on the whole I've been having a hell of a lot of fun with them, too. It's a long, relaxing kind of entertainment that I haven't had in a long time.

I can see how everyone who's been playing the new super Mario bros games could be down on this. Thankfully, I haven't played one since the original DS one came out years ago, so it's still feeling good for me. The coin gimmick is actually kind of entertaining to me.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

TurnipFritter posted:

RE Revelations is also being ported to literally everything that isn't the Vita, so if you'd rather play it on your PC/360/Wii U/PS3, you might wanna wait on it.

On the other side of that coin, they're charging 50 or 60 bucks for it on those platforms. It's 18 bucks for a used copy at GameStop. It better have some wild improvements to justify the difference in cost.

Edit: 50 bucks, and not coming out until may. The only significant improvements are HD graphics and a small smattering of add ons.

Vegastar fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jan 28, 2013

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Commissar Ken posted:

What dumb accessory did this one need? All I needed was the 3DS.

I got through it just fine using face button aiming, too. To each their own, though. I'd rather pay half the price and not wait an extra 3 months. The visuals are great, pretty much tied with kid Icarus for prettiest 3ds game.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

HondaCivet posted:

Wow the Best Buy sale on the XL was great, looks like I just barely missed it. Way to go me. :( Maybe it's the universe telling me to not replace the Ambassador system I got rid of several months ago due to it collecting dust.

It's valid through Saturday. The 2 day sale they started today caused some kind of a gently caress up on the website. It's still valid in store and is being "fixed" apparently.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

HondaCivet posted:

Where did you hear that? I called a store and she just saw the regular price. I don't know where she looked up the price though, maybe she was lazy and just looked at the website.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=337305&page=4

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

I know it's been said before, but Jesus h Christ nintendo's online service is kind of a shitheap. I love that they've gone digital distro, but I had to exchange my 2 week old xl at best buy today, something was up with the screen and there was a light bleed issue that kept getting bigger and bigger. Anyway, 45 minutes worth of transferring just for the process to gently caress up and drop the wifi connection on the fifth step.

How does the system respond? 'Oh, the transfer was interrupted. We're not going to ask if you'd like to retry, please redo the entire process'. Thankfully the people working CS were cool and let me set it back up, plugged them in behind the counter and go run my errands for an hour and come back, but holy hell what a convoluted process. I want to buy games digitally, but I'm second guessing after that clusterfuck.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

katkillad2 posted:

NA might not be getting any new XL colors, but they did mention if you buy and register an XL Between March 21 and April 30th and also purchase Luigi's Mansion or Pokemans Mystery Dungeon you get a free game. (Super Mario 3D land, Freaky Forms Delux, Art Academy, StarFox 64 3D or Professor Layton Miracle Mask )

So if you don't have an XL yet and are interested in either of those two games i'd hold off until then.

Or just don't use the registration codes until then.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Heads-up for NA dudes - these games are all on sale on the Best Buy website (free shipping, too):

Paper Mario Sticker Star - $20
Style Savvy Trendsetters - $20
Kid Icarus Uprising - $15
Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask - $15 sold out!

Dragon Quest 6 - $15
Dragon Quest 9 - $15
Pokemon Black 2 / White 2 - $15
Space Invaders Extreme 2 - $10

These are all in-store, too. Just wandered in and out of my local BB 30 bucks poorer with Kid Icarus and Pokemon White 2. No web hastle or anything.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Funkmaster General posted:

I've never understood this about hacking/jailbreaking/homebrew communities. It's always this exact story. It doesn't make any sense to me at all. They'll never use their "last" exploit because it might get patched. Yes, whatever exploit you use is going to get patched, but that doesn't mean you need to stockpile them. It's even worse when one gets patched and we can't get a new one even though they know how because they only have two or three more or whatever. I just don't get it at all. You can always just, you know, not update after the patch that fixes the issue is released, after all.

The logic is that the initial exploit is the hardest to get. Once you're inside, it's worlds easier to explore and find new things. If you give up the only exploit anyone knows, it's back to square one of hammering on the door to find a new way in. It makes sense, at least to me.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

My god, Yoshi's Island looks just god drat horrible. What an awful mess of visuals.

On the other hand, the polysprites for Dream Team really remind me of SMRPG, and I like that feeling :3

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Luminous Cow posted:

I bought a 3DS XL today because I am financially irresponsible. I've been having loads of problems getting downloads from the eShop, and it cites error code 007-2913. The Nintendo support site says it means "An error occurred while attempting to connect to the Nintendo eShop. Please try again later." Which is super helpful :rolleye: After some googling and some troubleshooting, I've found that turning off my router's firewall has completely fixed all my problems. Has anyone been able to get their router to not block Nintendo? Or am I doomed to having to log in to my router and disable the firewall every time I want something off the eShop? It doesn't sound like a problem, but it really is an inconvenience.

If you're halfway decent at configuring a router, you could assign the 3DS' MAC address to a permanent Internal IP, then put that address in the router's DMZ.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Ebenezer posted:

In case anyone else has any hints, I'm still struggling with transferring my files on my SD card from a 4GB card to new 32GB card. I'm now using a Sony 32GB SDHC Class 10 and having the same problem I wrote about with the SanDisk card, above.

I have tried re-formatting the card. I have tried using XCOPY through the command prompt to ensure that I'm not missing any files. Hidden files and system files are both shown on my PC, so there can't be anything hidden that I'm missing in the copy.

Searching online turns up no results on anyone who has had a similar problem. The really weird part is how the deleted games show back up after the file transfer.

I'm getting to the point where I'm resigning myself to just using the 4GB card and no longer purchasing anything from the eShop.

Why don't you just throw in the 32gb, queue all your poo poo to redownload and let it go overnight if you're having this much trouble?

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Hace posted:

I mean he could, but I can totally sympathize with not wanting to lose your Fire Emblem or Art Academy saves.

Aren't the saves stored in a certain folder? Might have a better chance with a handful of small files instead of a huge transfer.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

I disagree with that, I've noticed the framerate dip slightly here and there. Nothing major but I noticed it.

Agreed. 1-K was probably the most notable. It's definitely playable and mostly smooth, but there are still a few small, minor hiccups.

On the other hand, its a freaking wii game on the 3ds, and its great. Absolutely worth it.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Sarchasm posted:

Huh. I played that level just last night and didn't notice any dips at all. For full disclosure I played most of the game (including 1-K) in 2D, I'm sure that helps a bit. Are you guys playing in 3D?

I had the 3d on at first. It improved notably with it off. But that's been the case for every game with cited "frame rate issues," so I'm not surprised.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Anyway, both regions got Mega Man 6 (NES) yesterday to coincide with the Smash reveal.

I'm not seeing this in NA via search, virtual console button or in new arrivals. A bit confused, honestly.

Edit: probably just the eShop way of saying "dude, you stopped paying for the good ones at 4. You don't need all 6, you sperg.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

crazkylo posted:

So I'm noticing on my XL (had it for about a month or two) that there are marks on the top screen where it sits on the lower screen when closed. I don't know if they are scratches or just dirt pressed up against it, I tried wiping it off with a small cloth but it just stayed. Is there a way to clean the screen safely to see if it will come off?

I have a screen protector on its way in the mail, Along with a protective case to hopefully keep it in decent condition.

Same thing happened to me. As best I could tell they were scratches. I went ahead and kicked myself for not spending 9 bucks for screen protectors. Then I spent 9 bucks on screen protectors.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

AngryCaterpillar posted:

And everybody else would be surprised if they did since there have never been any SNES games on the 3DS Virtual Console in 2 years :v:

Fingers crossed for a proper, wifi supported version of Four Swords.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

homeless snail posted:

If you're not a slob, no, not really. But you already bought them so you might as well go hog wild, its not like it could hurt.

Unless you carry it in your pockets, at which point the bottom screen will cause wear on the top screen, even on the XL. A top screen protector at minimum is well advised.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

elmer fud posted:

Well its been about seven hours, it doesn't show anything about the coins. It just keeps saying this product has already been registered.

Did you use the registration card or the serial number? One gives you coins, one extends the warranty and registers the system to you.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Macaluso posted:

Wait seriously? What's even the point then

It becomes a sort of referral chain for street pass. You pass it, get the last guy who came by. The next person gets you, etc etc. Here in the US, a simple walk through the shopping mall will yield 3 different nintendo zone hotspots, so it doesn't seem entirely ineffective.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

RyokoTK posted:

Mario and Luigi: Has anyone else experienced the game soft-locking at some point? The game locked up on me in the second giant fight and it took quite a bit of fiddling to figure out how to force a power-off on the 3DS. Thankfully the second time through it worked without any problems and I didn't lose any progress, but it's a little worrisome.

A guy at work was telling me he had the game soft lock on him coming out of a pipe somewhere in the early game and cost him a decent chunk of playtime. I've been saving more often, maybe there'll be a patch if its kinda widespread?

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

I went with the green for full Hero of Hyrule colors when I can my hands on that sweet rear end aLBW unit.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

This is simple speculation, but I just got 4 order confirmations from club nintendo for 4 charging cradles, in spite of only successfully ordering and being charged coins for 1. My suspicion is with how crashy the site was I'm not alone in this, and given how awful Nintendo is at the internet, their inventory might be all hosed up from the duplicates. I wouldn't abandon hope just yet if you couldn't snag one.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Psyker posted:

Very tempted to stand in the XBox One line at my local Gamestop... to pick up Zelda. Dude at the store was like "I will give you so much respect if you do this."

There are three of us tonight doing this. We took Friday/Saturday off for a zelda/doctor who 50th weekend to blow off steam before Black Friday.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Luigi figure up in NA. 1500 coins :(

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Starhawk64 posted:

As I'm playing the 3D Sega Classic games, I've come to a realization:

Nintendo is loving lazy with their own Virtual Console ports. Every virtual console game should get the 3D Classics treatment. Super Mario Bros 3 given the same treatment as Sonic or Kirby's Adventure would be goddamn amazing. Seriously, buy the 3D Sega Classic games, they are amazing and make real good use of the 3D effect.

I've bought more of them at this point, and every club nintendo survey has been filled out with "look at all this awesome poo poo sega games are doing for 6 bucks, and I can't even remap controls on my 5 dollar NES rom". I can only hope this is setting the bar a little higher for the vc in the near future, but I sort of doubt it :(

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

ChaosArgate posted:

Just buy all three. They're all fantastic. SMTIV and Phoenix Wright are both the same price right now, if that helps your decision on which one you should buy first. You really can't go wrong with any of those though.

If you go hog wild, go buy physical cards from best buy. 20% off all eShop cards plus 15 dollar gift card if you spend over 100. I believe you could get 2 50 and a 35 dollar cards and end up with 135 in eShop bucks for 108 plus a 15 dollar gift card.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Kyoujin posted:

How do you get the $15 gift card? Ordered $110 in eshop cards for $88 a few days ago online but might cancel and spend a bit more for the gift card instead.

If you do it in store, the register prompts them to scan a GC and hand it over. Online I think it emails you a code sometime in the next couple weeks? Not really sure.

Also, thanks to cheapassgamer, the optimum setup is 3x 35 cards and 1x 20 for a perfect 100 dollar total. You can turn around and use the 15 dollar GC for another 20 dollar card on a separate transaction for a cool 145 bucks in eShop credit for 101 dollars.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Fix posted:

What's the deal with the Hori protectors? Is the bottom screen supposed to be blue? It looks like poo poo, how much it tints the screen. Also, I hosed up application of the top screen and am hoping I got a bad set that I can return instead of just admitting I'm an idiot.

You're supposed to peel the blue layer off with the tab that's attached to it. The proper clear layer is underneath it.

E:f,B

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Lexicon posted:

Am I the only one who thinks it's nuts to be fussing around with screen protectors on a relatively cheap device whose owners, in this thread at least, are presumably careful adults?

Since Nintendo didn't think the 3DS design through and the touchscreen bezels can and will dig in to the top screen, it's a pretty good idea to spend the extra 7 bucks to not gently caress it up for no good reason at all. Keeping it in your pocket at all is just an invitation for this.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Talkc posted:

Thank you! i would have never known this otherwise.

Now just to decide on a color....

You can also keep an eye on the Amazon Warehouse Deals 3ds page. Just read the notes on condition, a lot of the stuff there is just dinged up corners or torn boxes, but the notes will typically explain any flaws there may be. I see a blue/black one up there right now listed as Like New.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Ursine Asylum posted:

Serial number is just a sticker. I just peeled it off of the colored case and stuck it onto the actual case beneath it.

I'm pretty sure it's actually reprinted underneath the back cover on the body as well. I'm positive one of the models has it there, but it may have been the OG 3DS.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Pomp posted:

I dropped my XL, and now my sound is permanently stuck on max. The slider does nothing, and kinda gets stick if I slide it up. How long would it be away for repairs? There's way worse problems to have, and I'm not sure I even want to bother.

edit:also, dropping an XL on your foot loving HURTS

This would likely be a stupidly easy fix if you're competent with a screwdriver anyway, assuming the 3ds is built like all other nintendo handhelds. Your volume slider probably got hopped out of the plastic button that sits on the outside of the casing.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

NWL4WHJKJ44N

Snagged that one. This looks like a nice little reference. Thanks!

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Where are you located? NA and Japan both got that XL, the NA version comes with Dream Team pre-installed.

NA never got that one. We got an exclusive silver topped one embossed with the bros or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Crawfish posted:

New Streetpass puzzles. In Australia at least.

I got one for Super Mario 3D World. Don't know what the other ones could be.

Just got one in NA too, Mario 3d world too.

• Locked thread