Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

I'd say, even more so than the graphics, that the new controls are what make it better. The new UI makes Ocarina way more fun to play because I'm spending far less time switching items in and out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

homeless snail posted:

Anything ulillillia likes is alright by me. Jumping Flash, Bubsy 3D, Disgaea.

Ulilllia got into Disgaea? That sounds amazing. I'm guessing he broke 20 million on his Yoshitsune. :v:

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Dehry posted:

It's always funny when people post their idea of what a redesigned 3DS with two analog sticks would look like, because they almost always put it below the abxy buttons, which if you've ever held one would realize how awkward it feels.

If they really wanted to make it specifically for Monster Hunter, they should have put the second slide pad on the back and adjusted the inputs accordingly. :colbert:

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Shelf Adventure posted:

All the talk about Japan being good for streetpasses is true so much so that the 10 streetpass limit is actually an issue at times. I live in a city, but not even the biggest in the area and one day I stopped to clear the streetpasses and had a total count of 36. I didn`t even go anywhere that geeky or student friendly and probably would have gotten more had I stopped and cleared the streetpasses more often. Quite interesting as a straw poll of what games people are playing in Japan.

I had the same problem. Just getting on a train would max out my street passes, to the point where I got tired of letting everyone in 10 at a time and just stopped playing Street Pass stuff altogether. And that was in a very small town (Tenri-shi, Nara Prefecture).

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

I'd also be up for straight up having the N64 VC catalog available. I'd like to have the original game playable on the 3DS.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Artix posted:

Unfortunately, the 3DS doesn't have enough buttons to do a straight N64 VC. If you mapped everything directly (ie A to A), you'd have two unused buttons (X and Y), and five buttons left from the N64 (Z and the C buttons). You'd basically auve to customize the controls for every single game.

I think it's kind of a requirement anyway, because direct mapping for controls that had shapes as unique as the N64 won't work anyway, even if the 3DS had dual sticks and four shoulder buttons. A good example is the Gamecube re-release of Ocarina of Time. It used the C-stick as a replacement for the C-buttons and it mostly worked. I think it also used L for the Z-button instead of the Gamecube's Z button, which was smart. All in all it worked well, but different games are going to have different buttons mapped to X and Y. In Ocarina of Time I don't want X or Y mapped to C-Up because that's Navi. In Smash Brothers it's fine because the C buttons are all "jump."

I remember on the Wii when the VC first came out and people were trying to use Gamecube controllers to play VC titles and it was all direct mappings which really made no sense. You'd be playing Super Mario World and the red B button would be the SNES's B button, and the Y button also directly correlated so running and jumping become really awkward.

Point is, I'd rather whatever VC titles the 3DS gets to not default to direct-mapping, or at least allow for reconfigurable controls. It makes me think of fan-made emulators for the DS that didn't feature remappable controls and so required you to use B and A on the DS the same way they were ordered on the NES. A lot less comfortable.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

NESguerilla posted:

Is monster hunter worth getting at all if I am never going to find a friend that would want to play it with/have no interest in meeting up with people to play. It's always been a game that I wanted to get into, but the lack of online co-op makes me wonder if it's worth getting.

I like the game but I couldn't honestly recommend it if you're never going to group. There's definitely fun to be had by yourself, but I dunno if it's worth paying full price for. If you happen to get a Wii U I'd get it though, since you can take it online that way. Of course at that point you're better off just getting the Wii U version.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

I like Woolsey most of the time but his translation had a big chunk of literally making poo poo up. Like not just colorful localization (which I like) but actively randomly changing things for no reason.

The DS translation is pretty objectively better as a translation in any way which doesn't involve nostalgia. That doesn't mean the original is awful and incoherent like the FF7 translation but it was a pretty problem-filled translation. It's not a mark against the translator since he had some strict requirements to work under and did wonders while working under them, but it isn't a case of it being one step away from "Magus-sama."

I played the hell out of Chrono Trigger on the SNES, and I also thought the DS re-translation was better. Frog having that dialect made absolutely not sense when no other character in the era had it, and Magus's lines just weren't as cool. It's not even like the game takes itself seriously all of a sudden - they just got rid of a lot of stuff that simply didn't make sense.

What I think is odd is expecting someone who provides a new translation for a game to purposely copy changes made by the translator of the original American release due to problems with censorship and line width. There should be no expectation to keep quirks that simply didn't exist in the original script, and I'd rather the new person be free to localize things their own way rather than be constricted by how someone else might have done it twenty years ago.

quote:

The thing with Magus' name is that it isn't a name, it's his title which basically amounts to "evil guy." Magus was an attempt by the translator to fit that into the naming limitations on an English release because there's only so much you can do with that. (It's the same reason it's Crono instead of Chrono.) "Fiendlord Magus" is an attempt by the translation to balance the intent ("this dude's name is Darkdeath Evilking") and the established name which people were familiar with.

I think it's more that they decided to give him a second name rather than a title in the original English version. In the new translation I imagine they wanted to keep the character's name (since I assume changes as big as character names would be cause more trouble than it's worth) while still having the intent of the original script, so they went with both a title and a new name. It works out this way because in Japanese you wouldn't need an article like "the" before it to signify a title rather than a name, and in English Magus would allow them to not have to mess with the character limit for names. "Darkdeath Evilking" implies that a native English speaker would read "Fiendlord Magus" as two combined titles which I don't think is the case.

Nickoten fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Apr 9, 2013

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

I was unclear there. The "Fiendlord" part is what I meant by "Darkdeath Evilking." You're saying exactly what I intended. They gave him a name that implied "this guy is literally an evil king" and then kept the Magus part as a 'name' for nostalgia + name limitations.

Ah, okay. Sorry about that.

absolutely anything posted:

When I first played the game as a kid (before I knew he didn't speak all Olde English in the Japanese version, obviously) after I saw the flashback scene and how Frog talked like a scared dorky normal dude as Glenn I just figured he was trying really hard to put out some tough mysterious swordsman image. I kinda like it better like that.

TEHJOE posted:

Woolsey's version is the superior translation. Frog's accent is a great example of this. Notice how he speaks normally until Cyrus passes and he has to become a true hero.He adopts the whole accent as a coping mechanism as he strains to be a hero. .

This is actually a pretty cool perspective on it. It'd be even better if they'd had some NPC comment on Frog's weird speech to solidify the idea of him putting on an air. In its current state I think the idea just doesn't feel complete, but I acknowledge that could very well have been what Woolsey was getting at.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Thanks, I read that. I still don't think the accent is quite justified by what's in the game, but I do think it's a strong interpretation and certainly adds to my appreciation of Woolsey's translation.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

The chances of someone being able to play the fan-translated ROM on a hacked 3DS are probably higher than an official release at this point, and the 3DS hack situation is not exactly promising.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Barudak posted:

I hate to say it given how much I loved LttP but that 2d wall mechanic looks tedious even in the short gameplay they showed.

Yeah, I agree. Not to mention the art style looks really ugly to me, not really taking the best qualities from Wind Waker's or Link to the Past's styles. LttP is like my favorite game, so I hope this turns out well.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

big mean giraffe posted:

As someone who has played SNES roms on a 3ds, no it doesn't.

Wouldn't you have been playing it in DS mode, though? Doesn't that affect the possible resolution?

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Yeah, I also think the 3DS version is far and away the best way to play the game. The interface is much faster and way more convenient, and the graphics look pretty good. It really lets the better parts of the game be even better now that you're not constantly going in and out of menus to switch items around. It just feels like you're doing the fun parts all the time and the less fun parts very rarely. I also dig the ability to fine tune aim with the gyroscope.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

DoctorWhat posted:

You can also, I think, hook a 3DS into an online multiplayer session with a Wii U but I'm not sure.

Unfortunately, you can't go this far with. I've been told you can but nothing I've tried so far has allowed me to take a 3DS copy online with me on the Wii U. You can, however, use an app on the Wii U to allow the 3DS access to online play.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

I personally think Dragon Quest IV is the perfect place to start. It's not my favorite in the series (III is), but it's a fantastic game that's got pretty low difficulty, is separated into a bunch of smaller chapters with clearly defined goals and constantly changing casts of characters, and requires pretty much no grinding. The format really lends itself to being a game anyone new to Dragon Quest can get into without being overwhelmed. Plus at the end everything converges into a more typical DQ experience with a big overworld and lots of sidequests that you'll now be ready to take on.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Taima posted:

The 3DS has pretty much the shittiest possible components that Nintendo could muster. That's kind of their thing... releasing garbage consoles that are years behind and have poo poo online capability.

Of course, the games do a great job of making up for the comical lack of technical foresight. But no, I wouldn't expect much in the way of AA, no siree.

But some games already do have anti-aliasing? Ocarina of Time applies a bit whenever you turn off 3D.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

DQ7 is slow and terrible anyway.
Remake 3.

The things I would do for this.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Saoshyant posted:

For you guys who like numbers (it isn't just me, right?), here's the top sales chart in Japan for June 3rd to 9th:

code:
01. [3DS] Friend Collection: New Life # (Nintendo) {2013.04.18} (¥4.800) - 46.787 / 1.090.875
02. [PS3] Kamen Rider: Battride War # (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.05.23} (¥7.480) - 18.059 / 166.794
03. [3DS] Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon (Nintendo) {2013.03.20} (¥4.800) - 15.759 / 766.712
04. [PS3] Resident Evil: Revelations (Capcom) {2013.05.23} (¥4.990) - 15.495 / 150.361
05. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf # (Nintendo) {2012.11.08} (¥4.800) - 13.953 / 3.263.663
06. [3DS] Shin Megami Tensei IV # (Atlus) {2013.05.23} (¥6.980) - 13.649 / 232.636
07. [PS3] Terraria (Spike Chunsoft) {2013.05.23} (¥4.179) - 7.619 / 35.941
08. [PSV] Valhalla Knights 3 (Marvelous AQL) {2013.05.23} (¥5.980) - 5.710 / 57.195
09. [3DS] Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission (Bandai Namco) {2013.02.28} (¥5.800) - 5.148 / 203.609
10. [WII] Taiko no Tatsujin Wii: Deluxe Edition # (Bandai Namco) {2012.11.29} (¥5.040) - 4.300 / 492.793
11. [360] Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition (Microsoft Game Studios) {2013.06.06} (¥2.079) - 4.268 / NEW
12. [3DS] Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Best Price!) (Capcom) {2012.11.15} (¥3.800) - 3.510 / 316.487
13. [3DS] New Super Mario Bros. 2 # (Nintendo) {2012.07.28} (¥4.800) - 3.330 / 2.039.477
14. [PSP] Norn9: Norn + Nonette # (Idea Factory) {2013.05.30} (¥6.090) - 3.121 / 17.956
15. [3DS] Mario Kart 7 (Nintendo) {2011.12.01} (¥4.800) - 3.034 / 2.060.698
SMT IV is surprisingly not doing as well as I expected. At 232k sales is not even reaching a third of the bad sales of the Wii U's Dragon Quest X. I imagined the Japanese were rather more into mainline SMT than this.

While not related with the 3DS, it's rather interesting to see Minecraft 360 on this list. Every time one says the X360 is completly dead in there, one of their exclusives gets to the top.

Also, that fan Zelda Universe site got hold of Eiji Aonuma and had an interview with the guy. He's surprisingly cool even though some of the questions are dumb.

Could it be due to the availability of it on the eShop?

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

CyclicalAberration posted:

I was pleasantly surprised by the demo at first but as I got the feeling that the game would start to feel repetitive to me pretty quickly. Where is the fun in this? The building your own party is cool but the combat is standard and... thats really all it seemed to have? I think I should play it a bit more but that was my initial impression of it.

I haven't played any of these games. Which is a good place to start?

Radiant Historia looks very good. I think I'll start with that.

The combat in EO might seem simple at first, but in practice it ends up being pretty intense and offering lots of options. You'll use items to deal elemental damage (or otherwise fulfill certain conditions for drops), keep defensive buffs up as bosses ravage your front lines, use status effects that actually work and make a difference, etc. The combat is simple on paper but it works because the game actually focuses on it rather than using it as a backdrop to a story.

Radiant Historia is a game that I really wanted to love, and I probably have a minority opinion on this, but I didn't like how they handled time travel in that game at all. It felt extremely arbitrary and more like a cuts end trigger hunt than anything. It seemed like the developers pretended to give you an amazing power but didn't feel like coding any use of it in the game but in the exact locations they want you to use it in, which aren't always the most obvious spots.

I'll give an example that won't spoil too much. There's a point at which you're on one timeline and you need to learn "Sword Dancing" or something like that to progress. You know exactly who will give you this information, but no matter when you talk to him (and he's just sitting there doing nothing), you don't get the option to ask him. They didn't even see fit to let you ask and get rejected. Instead, you need to progress one of the stories until you're in the middle of a military campaign and you're waiting for an army to come attack you or something, and at that point your character decides it's okay to ask him.

Then there are cases where doing something in one timeline affects the other in some arbitrary way, but in the ten hours I invested in the game I was never given any real explanation of the logic behind how it happens, so it basically translates to me just doing things and seeing what happens or waiting for the game to throw me some deus ex machine in the form of a timeline adjustment. Overall the game just feels to strip me of any agency I might expect to have in video game Groundhog's Day, but pretends to be doing the opposite. I don't need a lot of freedom to enjoy an RPG, but here the pretense of it really got in the way of me doing what I thought had to be done.

Now, if you can get past that, the battles are interesting, the art is great, and the story is (as far as I got into it) pretty intriguing. If what described above is not a deal breaker, I think there's a lot to like in the game.

Nickoten fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jun 17, 2013

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

ImpAtom, you said SMTIV reminds you the most of Nocturne. Press Turn stuff aside, what about it is like Nocturne? I loved SMT3 and I'm thinking about getting 4 but I'm still waiting on more impressions.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Mainline SMT games are dungeon crawlers descended from Wizardry. This one apparently has a more overt narrative to it and smaller dungeons, though.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

SMT is certainly pretty different from Wizardry now, but that's why I said it was "descended" from it. I guess when I think of Wizardry I think of exploring long, intricate dungeons so it makes sense to me. The games have all been heavily focused on dungeon crawling up until now (even Nocturne), and I did note that the new one is said to be more story-oriented. I didn't mean to mislead anyone looking to buy it, so I apologize if I did. :(

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

I feel like their success with Catherine might be a push toward releasing Persona 5 on consoles, then porting it to handhelds later.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

What am I missing about Monster Hunter? I just tried the demo and it was basically junk. I had one attack, moved slow as hell even with my weapon away, the controls are janky, there's apparently no lock on, and the enemies don't seem to care that I'm hitting them with a gun-lance. Maybe I'm supposed to use the gun part of it more, but the game didn't give me any ammo for it, so I wouldn't know.

If you press the Home button you should be able to access a manual for the game. It has move lists for every weapon. It sounds like you're having trouble figuring out the different maneuvers so that should shed a lot of light on the game. Fighting well is very much about using the right attack for the situation. As a side note, enemies react based on how hard you're hitting them as well as where you're hitting them, so once you figure out how and when to use the big damage stuff you'll be flinching and knocking enemies over with the best of them.

Honestly, for how long this game has you in tutorial (in single-player) it's pretty bad at actually preparing you to play the rest of the game.

Nickoten fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jul 11, 2013

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

My account status page says I qualify for Platinum for 2013, but on the other pages the top right still tells me to get 300 coins for Gold. That's normal, right?

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Shards of Fate posted:

I'm gonna be in Tokyo for 3 weeks, and I have to decide between taking a 3DS or Vita along for the trip. Would bringing a 3DS be more socially accepted there?

As a foreigner you shouldn't really worry about being socially accepted, but I recommend taking the 3DS, as this is your chance to really experience what Streetpass is supposed to be like.

As far as what's common there, obviously the 3DS is everywhere but you'll see old dudes walking around airports with PSPs and poo poo so it's not really weird to carry a portable game system.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

This might sound ludicrous, but maybe more people would bite if Nintendo decided to have its own online subscription model, only it gives you access to the entirety of the Virtual Console backlog for free while subscribed? I'm sure they made a lot of money from Virtual Console on the Wii, but no one's even buying the Wii U right now so would it really be much of a loss of money? Granted, when Mario Kart and such come out sales will probably pick up, but I bet that if not the entire thing, at least offering a portion of Virtual Console offerings on a rotating basis could help them out.

Edit: Whoops! Thought I was in the Wii U thread.

Nickoten fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jul 15, 2013

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Those rewards are pretty underwhelming. And this is coming from a guy who thought the Mario pin set was cool. We only get to choose one, right?

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Yeah, I also think it still holds up. It's far from my favorite Zelda, but the pacing is actually pretty good compared to some of the more modern games. As much as Twilight Princess wants to be Ocarina of Time, it really fails to grasp how that game balanced its plot with giving you interesting and seemingly important things to do constantly. Ocarina has very few things that felt like collecting invisible bugs like in TP or finding key parts in Skyward Sword. When I'm doing something in Ocarina of Time it usually doesn't feel like busy work.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

I honestly think the 3DS version makes the Water Temple really fun, because it's one of the few dungeons in the game where I felt like I was solving one giant puzzle rather than a bunch of smaller ones. Kinda reminded me of how some of the dungeons in Link to the Past were - like you were slowly untying a knot.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

And if you're curious about Dungeon Crawlers, Etrian Odyssey is a pretty good introduction. The new one even has a mode where you can save anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

But that's a baby mode for babys where the enemies have much lower stats.

That mode weakens enemies? I had no idea. I'll keep that in mind when I pick it up.

• Locked thread