Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
There are four different handheld Nintendo chargers, if I remember correctly. Here they are with what they work with and the first time we saw them;

GBA SP Charger
GBA SP
Original DS (the fat one)

GBA Micro Charger

DS Lite charger

DSi Charger
DSi
DSi XL/LL
3DS
3DS XL/LL

Are there any I`m forgetting? Not including things like the Pokewalker (did that even recharge?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006

Keito posted:

Also, what's up with the naming? :confused:
Them dropping the 'Country' part of the title made me believe it was a new game at first. At least they could've gone with Donkey Kong Land Returns 3D as in the good old days

That may just be the Japanese title. The original donkey kong country was called Super Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Country Returns was just called Donkey Kong Returns.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
All the talk about Japan being good for streetpasses is true so much so that the 10 streetpass limit is actually an issue at times. I live in a city, but not even the biggest in the area and one day I stopped to clear the streetpasses and had a total count of 36. I didn`t even go anywhere that geeky or student friendly and probably would have gotten more had I stopped and cleared the streetpasses more often. Quite interesting as a straw poll of what games people are playing in Japan.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006

citizenlowell posted:

Wait, if you go over the 10 it queues up behind them? I thought you just missed any streetpasses until you cleared it out.

Sorry I wasn't clearer but no, it doesn't queue them up. What I meant was every so often I sat down and cleared them out when I had the time which then allowed me to collect more. If I had sat down more often to do this I probably would have gotten more as I reached the max limit 3 times.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006

Katana Gomai posted:

Well the other reason is "we don't think the EU market is profitable enough", but that usually means they don't release the game at all. I know releasing a game in Europe means dealing with several different countries, therefore several delivery systems and markets and what not but frankly, this is something that can be worked through. Same principle as having the translations ready the same day in different languages, it can be done if you want it done. I guess my point is that due to how connected we all are internationally nowadays, the "seperate islands" way of thinking for release territories has to go. Delaying games for months or years for no good reason only leads to piracy because it has never been easier for a European (and, rarely, for Americans in cases such as Xenoblade) to find out that games are already translated and out in other regions.

Whether you want it to be done and can afford it to be done are completely separate issues. Reducing game delays to "bad management" isn`t really true considering there are a lot of factors involved in deciding a release date for something. When it`s ready is only one of them.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
Disney is pretty huge in Japan to the point where they have their own mobile network. It piggy backs on a proper company, but Disney mobile is a thing here. Lots of kids and kindergartens have a load of Disney merchandise.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006

Saoshyant posted:

New Professor Layton isn't burning the sales charts in its homeland and, in comparison with its heyday, reception has been rather lukewarm.

(some chart I found on gonintendo.com)

According to VG chartz it still came in at number 2 in the best sellers. So whilst it`s not done as well as previous Layton`s, it doesn`t look to be doing too badly.

And those of you in Japan, if you want some of the Professor Layton chocolate, it`s now hit Daiso so it`s cheap!

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

VG Chartz literally makes up their numbers.

Unfortunately I couldn`t find any other sources at the time. Here`s a different source (which GoNintendo used for their Layton figures) showing the same thing. They list their sources, but as they`re Japanese sites I can`t tell if they`re reliable or not. Although it`s not a great start compared to previous Layton games, it`s still number 2 in the charts so it`s not all doom and gloom.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
Awesome news! And I couldn't care less about sharing with the global community, so I'm not bothered by the subscription. 3D and more colours! My badly drawn cocks are going to be terrifying!

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006

moths posted:

I just switched back to contact lenses after a few years of glasses, and the 3D effect is much better for me now.

How necessary is the addon stick for Monster Hunter?

You can download a demo from the Eshop. I thought it controlled fine, but download that before so you can have a hands on experience and see if it works for you.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006

Laser Spider posted:

Doesn't the demo specifically not support the Circle Pad Pro, though? Or am I thinking of another game?

You`re right in that it specifically doesn`t support the Circle Pad Pro, but if you`re not sure about whether you need it or not you can try it without to see how it handles.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I think you get the new puzzles via spot pass (ie Internet) rather than street pass. It could also be that the new ones people are talking about here aren't up in Japan, so you wouldn't be getting them via streetpass anyway. I don't know which are available in japan, but they definetly have a few that aren't recognized by my euro 3DS.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
Have you checked spot pass is on in the street pass plaza settings?

EDIT: Have fun with the new pieces!

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
The stand works fine with the 3DSXL and can also be used for smart phones or small tablets.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006

jtm33 posted:

I just think it is really strange to delay an English language release in countries like the UK and Australia when it is already finished in shipped in other countries. The SMT:Overclocked situation is an exaggerated example of how ridiculous it can get and it makes you wonder about why this is still happening.

I think this is because they usually just produce a European cart and it`s probably cheaper/easier for stock to just produce one cartridge for the region. Australia just gets screwed for old PAL region traditions it seems. It might be that Nintendo of Europe and Australia have close links due to the old system.

I`m wondering if the introduction of region locking has anything to do with piracy. It was pretty rampant and easy on the DS, but if they can isolate exploits to certain regions it may slow things down. It didn`t seem to matter with the Wii, but their security measures this time round seem to be working so far.

EDIT: Not that I`m suggesting their security measures are working so it must be the region lock`s doing.

Shelf Adventure fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Apr 8, 2013

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
That`s awesome. I got Professor Layton for buying a 3DSXL that I was going to buy anyway, and now I`m going to get a another free game when buying games I was going to buy anyway. It will be difficult to chose the free one.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
One thing worth thinking about is that if you already have 2 of the games, and want a third, some of the others may drop in price before the end of June. The Nintendo ones are likely locked in place until the end of time, but I could see Castlevania going on sale online before that for example.

If you buy that for 20 pound and then get the game you want for free, it`s like you`ve only paid 20 pound for the game you want and you can sell off Castlevania if you don`t want it.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006

KimT posted:

I think the biggest surprise for me on the list is Nintendogs, I had no idea it was so popular.

It`s one of those things that doesn`t really get discussed on gaming forums for obvious reasons, but sold amazingly on the DS. It didn`t seem to be a system seller considering how the launch went (the cross over between early adopters and Nintendogs fans might not have been great), but it`s looking to be another "ever green" title which consistently sells.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006

GreenBuckanneer posted:

How the gently caress does this mario kart and mario bros sell so much? I wouldn't buy them if you paid me.

They're well polished family friendly games with a huge brand recognition and a big marketing push.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006

irlZaphod posted:

Give me your friend code so I can send you abuse via Nintendo Letterbox. ;)

Why does the PAL XL come with no charger anyway? That seems like a really weird thing to do.

The official reason is cutting waste, especially as many people buying an xl will already have a 3ds. Really, it's because they can charge you money to buy it separately and the amount of sales lost because of it is minimal.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006

iajanus posted:

That's literally insane; how the gently caress are you supposed to charge it (I realise that this is probably a conversation had a few times, but still, :wtf:)? You'd think there were a few pissed off consumers with that one.

It's crap, but unfortunately the amount of people who would decide not to buy the xl because of it is pretty minimal so they can get away with it. Not only do they make a bit more profit on the xl themselves but also on the overpriced chargers.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I`m working through Luigi`s Mansion and I`ve just ordered Monster Hunter and Fire Emblem. Come early June I`ll get to download Animal Crossing free. I`ve never played Monster Hunter or Fire Emblem, but by the sounds of how big they are (and the relaxing time sink of Animal Crossing) I`ve enough game content to last me all summer.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006

homeless snail posted:

I dunno about price drops, but when they went back and added all the launch games, the third party stuff was slightly discounted over MSRP. Most stuff was $30, RE Mercenaries came down to $20, and Tetris is very wisely $10. Nintendo games will probably be full retail forever though, because Nintendo.
In Europe, Ocarina of Time got reduced to £20 in a sale which was pretty good.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
Nintendo of Europe have been pretty generous this year. For some people they will have gotten Monster Hunter free as part of the buy three games get one free deal, anyway.

I don`t think I know anyone who would be getting a 3DS, but if I`ve got a code for a free download I may try and sell it on.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
Red or Silver 3DS XL with New Super Mario Brothers 2 for £120 if you`re in the UK - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/feature.html/ref=pe_283501_37019471_pe_02b/?docId=1000727133&ie=UTF8

If you know someone with Monster Hunter 3 you can get a free download code from them, or you could probably buy it at retail, get a download code and sell it back for a cheap digital version of the game (someone correct me if I`m wrong on that.)

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
The new update to the streetpass plaza not only ups the frame rate for the plaza, in the puzzle swap it also no longer slows down when you`re trying to quickly skip to a puzzle at the end to check for pieces. Nice! It has a loading icon when you do this now, too.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
Another improvement to the streetpass plaza - when you streetpass a person more than once you can now add an expression with your personal greeting. There are 6 different facial expressions to choose from.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I`d say all the new games are worth it except the garden one, but if you`re getting the others you might as well get the bundle and get that one for free.

Streetpass Squad/Mii Force is a great shooter. It`s by GoodFeel who did play with a few shooting levels in Kirby`s Epic Yarn, but there`s a lot more depth here and each different colour Mii brings a different weapon. Sometimes I end up meeting 4 red Miis and turn into a flaming ball of death.

Streetpass Battle/Warrior`s Way is pretty cool (and the 3D effect is really nice because there are loads of little soldiers on the screen at once) though I`m not sure how well it will work outside of Japan. Basically your army grows depending on how many people other people have met. So if you meet someone who has met 500 people, you get 500 people in your army. In Japan this is alright as people often have met 1000 or more people, but if you`re getting 50s it might be hard to progress. I`ve not looked into hiring people with playcoins but I`d imagine it`s a viable option. (Just to note, I`m in Japan but using a European system, so I don`t think they`ve reduced the army sizes of other generals based on your region and expected levels of streetpasses.) A tip - don`t always rush into battle. If you don`t think you have enough troops, just wait it out until you get more streetpasses, you`ll still have those people added to your army.

Streetpass Mansion/Monster Manor is pretty cool though I don`t think I fully understand all the mechanics. That hasn`t stopped me from enjoying it though and it`s nice to progress. It`s a bit slow and certain things could be sped up (such as sending people to the back of the line) but it`s good fun.

Streetpass garden/Flower Town is just kind of confusing. There seems to be a lot to do and a lot of content, but it`s presented in such a long tutorial that you forget what`s going on. The main issue is that you can`t continue the tutorial without more streetpasses, so by the time you get them you`ve forgotten what you were doing last time. But for a good while you`re restricted to just doing what the gardener tells you (as in, I was for 3 or 4 occasions of full 10 streetpasses) so you just kind of follow along with what he tells you to do without much control, and then when you get more freedom it`s a bit like "uh, what was the point in x, y and z again?" It`s not a complicated game, but I don`t think the format is suited to only continuing when you have streetpasses. It`s a go at your own pace and do whatever you want kind of non-game, which is fine, but your own pace is stunted by streetpasses. At least at the beginning. (Again, I haven`t experimented with play coins.)

Regarding new hats - Don`t just go crazy and buy all the hats because they are there as you may end up with a day with a few great hats you really want but no play tickets because you bought lovely ones. A lot of the games give away play tickets like sweets at the beginning of the game, but looking at the achievements (especially for streetpass battle) it looks like they`re much more difficult to get later on. The shooting game still seems to reward you with one every time you complete a new level.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006

Bigass Moth posted:

Why are they charging real money for these new Mii Plaza shovelware games?

Even if you think they are shovelware, what do you think the point of shovelware is? Why wouldn't they charge money for them?

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
Oh, if that's what he means by "real money" (I thought that was to make the distinction between play coins) then it's because Nintendo always prices a bit higher than they should for eshop things. It's the same way with virtual console stuff. The reason they do it is because they can.

If it's any consolation, the new games are really polished.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Ah I see, thanks.
So like... you can spend hundreds of dollars and get a Game Boy game in return if you don't hit Platinum? Hm.

Think of it less as "spending hundreds of dollars to get x" and more "spending hundreds of dollars and getting x for free."

Some people chase platinum status at the end of the year, but usually just small games to tip them over the edge. The rewards are usually a bit crap, but of you're going to be buying the stuff anyway, hey, free is free. (Well, it costs you time registering the games and surveys.)

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006

Slightly Toasted posted:

:stare: holy hell.

Is there any justification for it or is it just a gently caress those kiwis kinda thing?

Game prices are ridiculous in Australia and New Zealand. A lot of people still pay them though, so the game companies have no reason to drop them.

If I remember what people from Australia have said in this topic, you can just change the region of your 3DS to Europe and get an instant discount in the e-shop. It`s kinda crazy.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
On the other hand, all those Pikmin would look awesome in 3D. One of the new street pass games (the one where you conquer the world) has an army of lots of people at once and it looks great. Though I'm not sure the 3DS could handle that and AI and a nice background at the same time.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006

Call Now posted:

Will the Bit.trip saga game also be on discount in Europe? :ohdear:

It has a different publisher so I wouldn't hold your breath. :(

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
After you streetpass the first 10 people you can`t get any more until you`ve welcomed them at your gate, then you can get another 10. But you`ll have to play the games with the first 10 before you welcome anyone else or you`ll use them in those games (puzzle swap, the RPG, any of the new games.)

If you welcome 10 people, close your 3DS and then get another 10 you can "store" at most 20 streetpasses before playing any games.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006

Star Guarded posted:

I think Animal Crossing stores twenty (because the notification says "#/20" instead of "#/10") but I'm not positive on that - I've certainly never gotten more than a couple streetpasses.

I`ve never considered that actually. I`ve always just thought that if you get more than the plaza they disappear. I`ll experiment this weekend and find out - I live in Japan so it`s easy to max out. I get two streetpasses without leaving my apartment.

EDIT: :smug:

Shelf Adventure fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Aug 26, 2013

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006

Austrian mook posted:

What games are better/only playable with the circle pad pro?

I picked one up recently for my 3DSXL as it was fairly cheap (1500¥) and I had a few games that used it. Monster hunter makes a massive difference, especially in the water sections. Metal gear solid 3 makes it a lot easier to aim without tiny adjustments. Nano assault ex (on the eshop) is a great little twin stick shooter which is improved by actually having a 2nd stick. I'd highly recommend it, it feels a bit like a shooter set in the metroid universe with the sound and artwork style.

It's also pretty comfortable, though pressing L sometimes feels a bit awkward.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006

Shards of Fate posted:

Sorry if it's off topic, but is Nintendo just pretending the Circle Pad Pro XL doesn't exist anymore?

They barely even acknowledged it in the first place to be honest. Are there any other first party games other than Kid Icarus that use it? (And even that isn`t really that great of a use.)

I`ve recently picked one up as it was cheap, and I`m pretty happy with it even if I only get to use it for a few games.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006

Minidust posted:

Is Pokemon X/Y going to have a digital version on the eShop? I was poking around on the official site, but didn't see it mentioned one way or the other. Is it just assumed that all first-party retail games get an eShop version now?
All first party games get released on the eshop now but if there was any doubt the pokemon 3ds bundle in Japan comes with a digital copy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I have a Europan copy of animal crossing - can I visit someone who has a Japanese version of the game?

• Locked thread