Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

It's just been announced that 2000AD and Dredd artist Brett Ewins has passed away. Very sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

profbobo posted:

Goddamn this is so nice in person. Hand-embellished Dredd script book, edition of 5. Need a book stand, but you get the idea.

This is pretty much the coolest thing I've ever seen. Got any better photos of the statue? It looks a tad dark.

profbobo
May 22, 2004

Vivat Buster!
It's this figure: http://toyhaven.blogspot.com/2014/11/art-figures-af-015-16th-scale-heavy.html

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Case Files 24 is out in the UK this week. This volume is worth picking up just for The Pit, which is one of the highlights of latter day Dredd.

CF25 will if I recall see the point where I stopped buying 2000AD, so after that it'll mostly be new to me.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Got 'The Apocalypse War' as part of the Mega Collection, and drat, reading it as one continuous story rather than individual episodes for the first time hammered home just how good a piece of action storytelling it is. If you include 'Block Mania' (which you should), it's, what, 36 or so weeks of story, and it never. loving. Stops. For. A. Moment. It's relentless, and every time it looks like the biggest thing ever has happened, something comes along right after and tops it.

It's also an insanely good collection of art, with pretty much all the classic Dredd artists represented: McMahon, Ron Smith, Dillon, Bolland and Ezquerra. Only Gibson and Ewins (RIP) missed the Apocalypso party.

I did notice that some of the repro is dodgy, though; McMahon's map of MC1 in 'Block Mania' originally had detail that's missing here, and the 'Block Mania' title logo itself is often smudged and bleeding. There's even a greyscale reproduction (despite their attempts to hide it) of one of Ezquerra's spreads while everything else is B&W, which makes me wonder if 2000AD are missing some of the original art/plates/film/whatever and having to make do with scans of actual issues.

Also, I can't work out their numbering system. This was #3 in sale order, but #36 in "shelving" order for the spine artwork? :wtc:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Payndz posted:

I did notice that some of the repro is dodgy, though; McMahon's map of MC1 in 'Block Mania' originally had detail that's missing here, and the 'Block Mania' title logo itself is often smudged and bleeding. There's even a greyscale reproduction (despite their attempts to hide it) of one of Ezquerra's spreads while everything else is B&W, which makes me wonder if 2000AD are missing some of the original art/plates/film/whatever and having to make do with scans of actual issues.

They're missing all the original art, because Ezquerra owns it.

Regarding the spine numbering: the way these collections work is to number them in some specific order - chronological, in the case of the Marvel piecework - but release them in an order most likely to maintain sales. In the case of the Dredd piecework they've subdivided the run into several categories. Apocalypse War is in Mega-Epics, which should start at 33 with The Cursed Earth and finish somewhere in the 40s with either Origins or Day of Chaos.

Unknownone
Apr 23, 2003

Some stupid 04 bought me this
Or if you wish to be cynical, so you have to buy them all and can't just stop a few months in because the spine artwork will be all out of whack and OCD will kick in.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Unknownone posted:

Or if you wish to be cynical, so you have to buy them all and can't just stop a few months in because the spine artwork will be all out of whack and OCD will kick in.

No need to be cynical, that's another reason why they do it. If you own no Dredd, though, you won't pick up much that is bad here and you'll get it all in hardback.

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Jedit posted:

It's just been announced that 2000AD and Dredd artist Brett Ewins has passed away. Very sad.

oh Wow that loving blows.

profbobo
May 22, 2004

Vivat Buster!
As someone that's relatively new to Dredd, how should I go about picking it up? Case Files or these nifty hardbacks? Any way to get those Mega Collections in the US?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

profbobo posted:

As someone that's relatively new to Dredd, how should I go about picking it up? Case Files or these nifty hardbacks? Any way to get those Mega Collections in the US?

There's a suggested reading list in the OP.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

Payndz posted:

Got 'The Apocalypse War' as part of the Mega Collection, and drat, reading it as one continuous story rather than individual episodes for the first time hammered home just how good a piece of action storytelling it is. If you include 'Block Mania' (which you should), it's, what, 36 or so weeks of story, and it never. loving. Stops. For. A. Moment. It's relentless, and every time it looks like the biggest thing ever has happened, something comes along right after and tops it.

It's also an insanely good collection of art, with pretty much all the classic Dredd artists represented: McMahon, Ron Smith, Dillon, Bolland and Ezquerra. Only Gibson and Ewins (RIP) missed the Apocalypso party.

Also, I can't work out their numbering system. This was #3 in sale order, but #36 in "shelving" order for the spine artwork? :wtc:

Possibly the lack of colour spreads is because they're about to start reissuing the early Case Files again with the colour pages included this time, and that would be a pretty big selling point. Unfortunately b/w art from this era always seems to lose a ton of detail when it's scaled down, as the original pages were huge by the standard of today's comics. For my money the best repro was in the now OOP Titan edition.

The numbering thing is essentially bait for OCD types and completionists. You have to get them all or forever suffer the torment of an incomplete spine!

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Castle Radium posted:

Possibly the lack of colour spreads is because they're about to start reissuing the early Case Files again with the colour pages included this time, and that would be a pretty big selling point. Unfortunately b/w art from this era always seems to lose a ton of detail when it's scaled down, as the original pages were huge by the standard of today's comics. For my money the best repro was in the now OOP Titan edition.
I've got some of the old Titan reprints, and yes, they're the best presentation of the art I've seen. Nice thick pristine white (even after 25 years) paper, and I think bigger than in 2000AD itself. (The Titan edition of The ABC Warriors: Black Hole even has Bisley's original uncensored artwork and SMS redrawing several panels he wasn't happy with!)

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10
This got asked before and and since it's happening again I wanted to share.

Tomorrow's issue of 2000 AD is a jumping on point with all new stories. So if you're looking to start reading the galaxy's greatest comic , now's the time.

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Just finished The Judge Child saga and I'm in love with Judge Dredd, It really is the best. It's a shame Judge Lopez died so quickly, Dredd's growing obsession with his moustache was cracking me up.

I've heard such good things about it but I've yet to watch the new Dredd film, does it have any of the goofiness that makes this such a great series?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Flython posted:

I've heard such good things about it but I've yet to watch the new Dredd film, does it have any of the goofiness that makes this such a great series?
Mainly in background details that are pretty easy to overlook. It's a lot closer to the modern grim Dredd comics than the old goofy stuff.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

IDW's Judge Dredd series has come to an end with issue 30. It was a bit of a mercy killing, really - it never recovered from the debacle of the Dark Judges, although Swierczynski's one original story that followed was interesting as a premise at least. Still it's the longest run that a US Dredd comic has had, by a long way if you include Year One and City of Courts in with it.

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer

david_a posted:

Mainly in background details that are pretty easy to overlook. It's a lot closer to the modern grim Dredd comics than the old goofy stuff.

I just re-watched it yesterday. The only overt nod I could find towards the usual black humour in the series was in the food court after the slo-mo addicts shot it up, with someone on the PA saying the food court would be open in half an hour while floor machines are cleaning up the blood and bodies are cooling on the tiles.

Such an enjoyable film.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Robot Wendigo posted:

I just re-watched it yesterday. The only overt nod I could find towards the usual black humour in the series was in the food court after the slo-mo addicts shot it up, with someone on the PA saying the food court would be open in half an hour while floor machines are cleaning up the blood and bodies are cooling on the tiles.

Such an enjoyable film.

Also the homeless guy at the front door.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!
You can also see the fat guy's bellywheel in the foodcourt, which I thought was a nice touch.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Castle Radium posted:

Possibly the lack of colour spreads is because they're about to start reissuing the early Case Files again with the colour pages included this time, and that would be a pretty big selling point. Unfortunately b/w art from this era always seems to lose a ton of detail when it's scaled down, as the original pages were huge by the standard of today's comics.

Could you explain more? How big was a 2000AD comic back then, compared to a typical comic now?

I do know scans and digital versions of current-day comics are far bigger and prettier on my monitor than they are in print form.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

qntm posted:

Could you explain more? How big was a 2000AD comic back then, compared to a typical comic now?

Like most British comics 2000 AD was and is magazine sized - roughly A4. However, it was and is drawn on A2. The scaling on modern comics looks better because computer scanning is more precise than repro.

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Up to number 13 of the complete case files and still loving it. Only real problem so far is anything deals with the far east, it's clear several people on staff loving hated Asian people.

It's funny how poo poo and gently caress gave way to drokk but nip stood strong.

Flython fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jun 20, 2015

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Flython posted:

Up to number 13 of the complete case files and still loving it. Only real problem so far is anything deals with the far east, it's clear several people on staff loving hated Asian people.

It's funny how poo poo and gently caress gave way to drokk but nip stood strong.

It's more that this was 1986 and we really were not very reconstructed in the UK. I don't think any harm was meant by it, and the stuff in Dredd mostly doesn't even come close to "Blakee Pentax!"

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Jedit posted:

It's more that this was 1986 and we really were not very reconstructed in the UK. I don't think any harm was meant by it, and the stuff in Dredd mostly doesn't even come close to "Blakee Pentax!"

It doesn't help that the stories with this stuff in are poo poo. Sure I roll my eyes whenever Maria or someone from the Andean Conurb shows up but her being the last person with block mania was great.

The fact that it's so of it's time is a huge reason why I like this series, I guess you've just got to take the good with the bad.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Flython posted:

Up to number 13 of the complete case files and still loving it.
Number 14 coming up for you is one of the all time greats, big fav of mine. Sure you've heard about the Necropolis epic! It rocks.

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Heavy Metal posted:

Number 14 coming up for you is one of the all time greats, big fav of mine. Sure you've heard about the Necropolis epic! It rocks.

Just picked it up on my way home and it's already so good. Poor Morph

The change to colour took a little time to hit me but everything's so vibrant and colourful. It's Beautiful.

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Judgement day is really making me want to pick up Strontium Dog. Good decision?

He's pretty good this Garth Ennis fellow, I think he's got a bright future ahead of him.

"The sun rose on Mega-City Two at 05.50-- It sparkled like a shower of gold on the sea, cast a rich array of pink and orange on the giant glasseen towers, banished the darkness of the night for another day... At 05.51 it rose again."

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Flython posted:

Judgement day is really making me want to pick up Strontium Dog. Good decision?

He's pretty good this Garth Ennis fellow, I think he's got a bright future ahead of him.

"The sun rose on Mega-City Two at 05.50-- It sparkled like a shower of gold on the sea, cast a rich array of pink and orange on the giant glasseen towers, banished the darkness of the night for another day... At 05.51 it rose again."

There are five collected volumes of classic Strontium Dog in the same format as the Case Files - they're called the SD Files - and they're well worth picking up.

I take it you're being sarcastic about Ennis. He was very hit and miss on Dredd, but that particular sequence was good.

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Jedit posted:

There are five collected volumes of classic Strontium Dog in the same format as the Case Files - they're called the SD Files - and they're well worth picking up.

I take it you're being sarcastic about Ennis. He was very hit and miss on Dredd, but that particular sequence was good.

Picked up Strontium Dog #1, going to give it a go after I finish Case File 19. Bought 18 & 19 together and was really enjoying them both. Mechanismo was great and looks so good, Colin MacNeil might be my favourite artist so far. Muzak Killer really cracked me up as did the Branch Moronian.

Then I got to the Bagwan prog. Ugly, lovely art for an ugly, lovely story. I guess they can't all be gold.

Would it be worth tracking down the dead man stories from when Dredd took the long walk before Necropolis? I'm quite surprised they weren't in the case files and was pretty drat confused for the first half of the storyline. It's also too bad we saw so little of Judge Kraken, what we got was good but I really wish there was more. Are there any other good parts missing from the case files?

Flython fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jul 11, 2015

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Flython posted:

Would it be worth tracking down the dead man stories from when Dredd took the long walk before Necropolis? I'm quite surprised they weren't in the case files and was pretty drat confused for the first half of the storyline. It's also too bad we saw so little of Judge Kraken, what we got was good but I really wish there was more. Are there any other good parts missing from the case files?

The Dead Man was collected as a separate volume. It's absolutely worth picking up, and it wasn't included in the CFs because they ran concurrently with Dredd rather than in main continuity. John Ridgway was a great artist - I say was, he's not dead but is mostly retired now.

The only other crucial story missing from the Case Files is America.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Just got Dark Justice, that is one fine looking book. It's beautiful man. I nominate all 2000AD collections come in this size from now on.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Ive been working through the US versions of the case files which presumably will go color at 13, but were progs before that in color and the case files in b/w to save on costs? One of the posts above implies as such.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Zachack posted:

Ive been working through the US versions of the case files which presumably will go color at 13, but were progs before that in color and the case files in b/w to save on costs? One of the posts above implies as such.
There were 2 color pages in the center of a 2000AD issue, so a Judge Dredd story usually had the first two pages in color, and the rest of the story in black and white. The majority of 2000AD was black and white until the early 90s. That said, I don't think you're missing much, the coloring got much better when the magazine went full color.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

So there's a big ol' IDW Dredd sale on at Comixology. Any of that stuff worthwhile?

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Re-reading my collection, Ennis had some good stuff, but once you go into the Prog 800 era it gets terrible, as he's clearly more concerned with writing Preacher at the same time and also shoehorning Irish into it like he does with everything. Then Mark Millar takes over and it goes right downhill in quality. Same with the rest of 2000AD at that time really, aside from the few shining lights like Revere or Indigo Prime. Matches the time Vertigo/DC/Marvel were snapping up all the talent, so you're left with dodgy artists whose style doesn't fit, like Anthony Williams or Simon Coleby.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

A Tin Of Beans posted:

So there's a big ol' IDW Dredd sale on at Comixology. Any of that stuff worthwhile?

Anderson, Year One, City of Courts and the first three volumes of the main book are worth it at that cost. After that it went into terminal tailspin that wasn't quite saved by an interesting twist on Cal.

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Thanks for the recommendation Jedit, I'm enjoying Strontium Dog just as much as Dredd. I always wanted more space shenanigans from Dredd and SD scratches that particular itch so well. Time grenades are still just one of the coolest little things.

They're so similar but I think SD might be even bleaker than Dredd. The end of the Mutant Uprising was the blackest comedy and the Rage storyline really took me by surprise. It's not all sadness though, drat did the Bitch progs have my laughing every page, I don't think I could ever get tired of Reagan in space.

I'm also sorry to say that I never really appreciated Carlos Ezquerra's art for Dredd but that's definitely changed now. Well time to check out Rogue Trooper.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Payndz posted:

I wrote one! (Prog 749) :haw:

This is from pages ago, but how is the submissions process, if you don't mind? I'm thinking of trying to break into comics as a writer and I love the hell out of 2000AD, so submitting a Future Shock or two seems like a reasonable enough way to go about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Flython posted:

Well time to check out Rogue Trooper.

Stop with the end of the Traitor General storyline. Maybe read the Horst storyline. Don't bother with the Hits.

• Locked thread