Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JerksNeedLoveToo
Nov 12, 2006

Zzulu posted:

Be sure to watch the new Dredd movie as well guys, it's pretty good.

There's a pretty cool shout-out to the Chopper storyline midway through the movie, too. Chopper's signature graffiti is displayed prominently during a pan up the inside of the building.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Devlin Waugh is my favourite though.

And is set in the Dredd world, so feel free to elaborate.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!
Devlin Waugh is a bit hit and miss for me, sure the vampiric, musclebound, homosexual, upper class, Terry Thomas lookalike exorcist for the Vatican can be entertaining, but a lot of his stories seem to peter off and the villains can come across as just cardboard cutouts. When it's good it's usually very good though.

DocHorror
Mar 4, 2007

I am the Master, you will obey me...
Hands down the best moment in comics -

edited: so as not to spoiler a 30 year old comic in a thread full of Dredd fans.

DocHorror fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jan 24, 2013

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
That's a huge spoiler dude. Maybe hide it, there's a bunch of people who haven't read that particular story yet?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

DocHorror posted:

edited: so as not to spoiler a 30 year old comic in a thread full of Dredd fans.

Dredd is a pretty niche comic that is hardly read in the UK let alone outside, plus there has just been a Hollywood film which means that lots of people who had maybe not even heard of the character are now interested in reading. Therefore, spoilers I would believe are in order for most major story points.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Dredd has survived everything the world has thrown at him for 36 years. :haw:

This includes being shot in the heart, shot through the heart, shot through the head, 100% burns, cancer, nuclear war and actually dying on at least one occasion.

Senor Science
Aug 21, 2004

MI DIOS!!! ESTA CIENCIA ES DIABOLICO!!!

Cream_Filling posted:

Yeah, I'm saying that a lawless, dog-eat-dog, wasteland is about as libertarian as you can get. And that the presence of the corporate mascots is an additional element that adds support to this interpretation. It's a counter-balance to the Nanny state/welfare state dystopia Megacity One is supposed to represent - 95% unemployment and everyone's on the dole, but it still beats the horrors of the Cursed Earth.

I think I would rather live out in the Cursed Earth. Living a dangerous but free life sounds more appealing to me than being locked up in an isocube for a decade or more.

Speaking of which, I would kill for a licensed Judge Dredd sandbox style game a la New Vegas or Stalker set in the Cursed Earth. The protagonist could be a retired or disgraced judge setting out to bring law to the lawless.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Payndz posted:

Dredd has survived everything the world has thrown at him for 36 years. :haw:

If you consider the future Red Razors storyline, he'll survive until at least 2176.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
How hilarious is Devlin Waugh? He once pile drivered a shark.

Edit: Start with Swimming in Blood.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
One of the crazier things I learned reading Cursed Earth is that The citizens of Mega-city 1 wanted the Judges to take over because the Government went that corrupt and crazy. The straight up blamed the last President for the nuclear war, and locked him up in statis as a punishment

That was pretty interesting.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

twistedmentat posted:

One of the crazier things I learned reading Cursed Earth is that The citizens of Mega-city 1 wanted the Judges to take over because the Government went that corrupt and crazy. The straight up blamed the last President for the nuclear war, and locked him up in statis as a punishment

That was pretty interesting.

Because that's pretty much what happened, President Booth did go power crazy and sparked world war 3 with his "AMERICA RULES OK!" policy, congress did gently caress all to stop him so were dissolved after the Judges cleaned up the mess, what was left of it after the 11 day nuclear war.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Senor Science posted:

Speaking of which, I would kill for a licensed Judge Dredd sandbox style game a la New Vegas or Stalker set in the Cursed Earth. The protagonist could be a retired or disgraced judge setting out to bring law to the lawless.
Cursed Earth Koburn, then. (Yep, there was a whole spin-off series with that very premise.)

ClownSyndrome
Sep 2, 2011

Do you think love can bloom on bob-omb Battlefield?
Don't have much Dredd experience (aside from the movies), but I've been reading through the case files from the start and find them pretty entertaining (if a little goofy at times, but still enjoy that too)

need to start on the 3rd one at some point

Physical
Sep 26, 2007

by T. Finninho
Help me out, what does "Prog" mean?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Physical posted:

It is just 2000 AD name for issue so prog 200 is just issue 200.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Physical posted:

It's what 2000 AD calls its issues.

Physical
Sep 26, 2007

by T. Finninho
Is it short for Progression or Program or something?

I started reading what I think is the right case files, starting with Prog 2. What was Prog 1, some other, Dredd unrelated story? Kind of like Detective Comics and how Batman doesn't even exist until some later issue?

e: Oop kind of answering my own question here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_AD_(comics)

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Physical posted:

Is it short for Progression or Program or something?

I started reading what I think is the right case files, starting with Prog 2. What was Prog 1, some other, Dredd unrelated story? Kind of like Detective Comics and how Batman doesn't even exist until some later issue?

Yes he first appeared in Prog 2. Also you have to remember that 2000 AD is an anthology magizine and Judge Dredd is just part.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

bobkatt013 posted:

Yes he first appeared in Prog 2. Also you have to remember that 2000 AD is an anthology magizine and Judge Dredd is just part.
Yeah, Dredd is just one of usually five or six different strips running each week. The best-known of the others are Strontium Dog, Nemesis The Warlock, ABC Warriors, Rogue Trooper, The Ballad Of Halo Jones, Ace Trucking Co, Robo-Hunter, Slaine, Zenith and Nikolai Dante, as well as at least a dozen Dredd spin-offs like Anderson: Psi Division, Low Life, The Dead Man and Chopper, but Dredd's the only one that's been running continuously from the start.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I started reading 2000AD from the jumping on Prog after the film came out and caught the whole Cold Deck/Trifecta Dredd/Low Life/Simping Detective surprise crossover. I loved every minute of it, especially anything that involved Dirty Frank, what a great character he is.

I recently picked up Mega City Undercover Vol. 1 for a bit more Dirty Frank action and was surprised to find out that he isn't even the main character in the first set of Low Life strips.

Senor Science
Aug 21, 2004

MI DIOS!!! ESTA CIENCIA ES DIABOLICO!!!

Payndz posted:

Cursed Earth Koburn, then. (Yep, there was a whole spin-off series with that very premise.)

Thank you, now I have another series to start reading. What are some other 2000 AD titles worth checking out?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Senor Science posted:

Thank you, now I have another series to start reading. What are some other 2000 AD titles worth checking out?

The Dead Man is pretty bad rear end. It starts in Prog 650

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran
In current Dredd-related news, he's gay. Maybe.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

funtax posted:

He is a lawosexual :colbert:

Boody
Aug 15, 2001
The BBC have some 2000AD audio books and classic strips here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/comics/audio/index.shtml Unfortunately they are in realplayer format but VLC seems to be able to handle them.

Big Finish who produced them has more for sale here: http://www.bigfinish.com/ranges/released/2000-ad---judge-dredd

ClownSyndrome
Sep 2, 2011

Do you think love can bloom on bob-omb Battlefield?

funtax posted:

quote:

There is a twist in the tale, with all not being as it seems, the spokesman said.

Well, I'm sure there's more to this than what the story suggests, I mean, a lot of comics start off with some shock twist and by the end- help... my eyes are wandering towards the comments section and OH NO! THE SECRET GAY WORLD ORDER IS OPPRESSING US AGAIN

[quote]

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

They went into more detail in a different interview, spoiler alert for those who want to go into the story blind.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=43316

So probably not actually Joe Dredd in the teaser image.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

bobkatt013 posted:

He is a lawosexual :colbert:

If the law was a human of any gender Dredd would absolutely wreck that.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

He has all their books.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

rejutka posted:

Edit: Start with Swimming in Blood.

I bought Swimming in Blood like three years ago and left it in a box until this weekend. I don't know why, though, Waugh is amazing.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The big bookstore near my work has some of the physical collections, and I was looking at 2, which has cursed earth, but it also has the story that from the early panels sounds like the basic plot of the Stallone film. I must buy it, as I must read all Dredd I can.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Anyone else remember Future Shocks?

I can clearly recall two - one was the story of an attempted robbery of the ultimate weapon it mind controls anyone who looks upon it to guard it and the other being Thatcherism in spaaace burning souls to power their spaceship.

There's been some pretty odd stuff gone through the pages of 2000AD over the years - Larazus Churchyard was rather strange, for a start off.

Button Man was quite popular, wasn't it?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Kerbtree posted:

Anyone else remember Future Shocks?
I wrote one! (Prog 749) :haw:

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Pat Mills's blog has a series of posts about the creation of Dredd and 2000 AD, if anyone is interested: http://patmills.wordpress.com/tag/judge-dredd/

Pretty cool fact: The look of Dredd's uniform was originally based on David Carradine's character from Death Race 2000!

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Just ordered Case Files 2 and 3 on Amazon. Anyone know why Amazon is out of Case Files 1?

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.

VoodooXT posted:

Just ordered Case Files 2 and 3 on Amazon. Anyone know why Amazon is out of Case Files 1?

Possibly an influx of new readers from the movie.

Speaking of Case Files 1, I can't help but love it because of how drat silly it can get - people narrating what they're doing, everyone being able to recognise Dredd from like a mile away, stuff like that, it's endearing to me for some reason.

This is probably the funniest part of the book for me. I just find the sheer ridiculousness of Dredd invoking :godwin: hilarious for some reason.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

VoodooXT posted:

Anyone know why Amazon is out of Case Files 1?
There must be something weird going on with their supplier; I ordered my copy of America in October and it still hasn't shipped.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I read Batman RIP for the first time (was at a library and skimmed it) was the crazy Roman Villain guy a reference to Judge Cal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Finished Dark Judges, I love how much of it is Anderson centric.

• Locked thread