Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Unknownone posted:

If it's this, then it is beautiful.

That is indeed the one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Jedit posted:

Oh, I do. I'm so glad that I haven't read a Starblazer in a very long time.

Good drat a lot of Ian Kennedy covers there and that art style always brings a happy nostalgic smile to my face.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010

Payndz posted:

Maybe 'designed' wasn't the right word, since the current system evolved over time and through circumstance (although what was done in 'Mega-City Confidential' absolutely was a deliberate effort), but as in the mattress example above, there are so many byzantine laws that if the Judges want to charge somebody for something, they'll get there in the end. The first time we see a crime blitz, it's stated in dialogue that they have a 100% record of finding some breach of the law, however minor

Hey Dredd couldn't find a single law to help him ban Sump's ugly parlours. So like a dick he had the taxes raised on them instead to try and make them prohibitory expensive.

Read through my mate's kid's most recent copy of 2000AD and was happy to see Walter return.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
I saw on Comixology that there is a new Anderson series being released today. Any thoughts on it?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Trast posted:

I saw on Comixology that there is a new Anderson series being released today. Any thoughts on it?

Got issue 1, haven't read it yet. Carl Critchlow art, which is a good start.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer
Because I didn't know any better, I started buying the .pdf versions of the Complete Case Files from DriveThruComics.

Buying from 2000AD I see I get both a .pdf and .cbz files, and presumably a greater share of money is likely to end up with those responsible, but otherwise is the content the same? Is Volume 1 from DriveTrhu the same as Volume 1 from 2000AD, despite the different cover?

Edit: Too much listening to Off the Hook

Resident Idiot fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Aug 14, 2014

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Gorbash posted:

Because I didn't know any better, I started buying the .pdf versions of the Complete Case Files from DriveThruComics.

Buying from 2600AD I see I get both a .pdf and .cbz files, and presumably a greater share of money is likely to end up with those responsible, but otherwise is the content the same? Is Volume 1 from DriveTrhu the same as Volume 1 from 2600AD, despite the different cover?

I wouldn't buy anything from 2600AD. It sounds like someone pretending to be 2000AD.

E: read the Anderson before I came into work. It's not bad, and the writer definitely gets the character.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I was glad to see the Texas City judge looked exactly as I imagined they would.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

There's a new comic sequel to the movie coming out in October. Story title is Uprise, comes in two parts.

The Illustrated Screenplay is out now. 240 pages including the full pre-production version of the script and Jock's concept art.

Lastly, October 1st is Dredd Day 2014. We are exhorted to spam Facebook and Twitter, tell all our friends, and buy further copies of the DVD/BD for the two people we know who still don't have one. Apparently last September's push sent the movie to the top of the disc sales charts and added 30,000 names to the "Make a Sequel" petition.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

Jedit posted:

There's a new comic sequel to the movie coming out in October. Story title is Uprise, comes in two parts.

The Illustrated Screenplay is out now. 240 pages including the full pre-production version of the script and Jock's concept art.

Lastly, October 1st is Dredd Day 2014. We are exhorted to spam Facebook and Twitter, tell all our friends, and buy further copies of the DVD/BD for the two people we know who still don't have one. Apparently last September's push sent the movie to the top of the disc sales charts and added 30,000 names to the "Make a Sequel" petition.

Okay so I just saw the new Dredd film recently and loved it, and was totally bummed to hear it didn't do well in theaters and wasn't getting a sequel. I still have not bought a copy of it yet, though. So I should totally but it on October 1st, right? Do digital sales help the cause?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Require More Fire posted:

Okay so I just saw the new Dredd film recently and loved it, and was totally bummed to hear it didn't do well in theaters and wasn't getting a sequel. I still have not bought a copy of it yet, though. So I should totally but it on October 1st, right? Do digital sales help the cause?

I don't know. I do know you can get the 3D Blu-ray for $10 or less new, though. And yes, buy it on October 1st and sign the petition. If Blade Runner can get a sequel after becoming a cult hit, so can Dredd.

Dr.Magnificent
Dec 24, 2007

Comes with hands on care.
Fun Shoe

Require More Fire posted:

Split the difference, buy it now and then get someone else to buy it on Oct 1st! I might buy people Dredd as gifts this year.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
So while the Case Files are great for getting into Dredd from the very beginning, what is the best point to jump onto current stuff?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

So while the Case Files are great for getting into Dredd from the very beginning, what is the best point to jump onto current stuff?

Wait for a jumping-on issue of 2000AD. You could possibly get by if you pick up the Tour of Duty and Day of Chaos trades.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Jedit posted:

Wait for a jumping-on issue of 2000AD. You could possibly get by if you pick up the Tour of Duty and Day of Chaos trades.

How can I tell which issue is a jumping on issue?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

How can I tell which issue is a jumping on issue?

Keep an eye on their website. If they don't actually say it's a JOI, they'll still say that Prog xxxx has all new stories. It happens about once a year.

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10
Prog 1900 was a jumping on point and came out three weeks ago.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
Ah great, thanks a lot

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009
Trailer for "Future Shock! The Story of 2000AD"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jStxzQ8g_n0

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Is IDW's new Judge Anderson series good?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Martello posted:

Is IDW's new Judge Anderson series good?

It's better than their Dredd comic, which has gone way off the rails.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Jedit posted:

It's better than their Dredd comic, which has gone way off the rails.

Can you elaborate? I was thinking of picking up the first trade.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Martello posted:

Can you elaborate? I was thinking of picking up the first trade.

In a nutshell: Duane Swierczynski is a rabid Dredd fanboy who is trying to tell every story he loves in order to a new American audience. In the process, he's lost the essence of what makes the stories work - his just-completed Dark Judges arc being the absolute nadir. The first couple of trades are worth looking at in isolation, but if you really want to read Dredd you're much better off buying the Case Files.

Outside of the main book, IDW Dredd is doing OK. Mega-City Two: City of Courts had the right spirit of fun, while the Anderson series is getting it mostly right and has art by Critchlow.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Reminder to all that part 1 of Dredd: Uprise, the second comic sequel to the movie, is out this week. Also out is a reprint of Dredd: Underbelly, for people who missed it the first time.

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Jedit posted:

Reminder to all that part 1 of Dredd: Uprise, the second comic sequel to the movie, is out this week. Also out is a reprint of Dredd: Underbelly, for people who missed it the first time.

I need to grab both of these. Thanks for the heads up

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

UK Goons, rejoice (a little): Hachette are launching a Judge Dredd partwork collection in January. It's the usual 60 volume run, covering major stories from 1978-2011. All volumes are £9.99 in hardback and contain cover galleries, a few pages about the story and how it fits in with the whole - the usual guff.

Obviously if you want everything you're still far better off with the Case Files. However, as is usual with these things the first couple of issues are discounted heavily, and the first issue in this collection is a killer: it's America. So, if you want one of the best Dredd stories of all time in hardback for less than two Earth Pounds, hie thee to a newsagent on January 21st.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Reminder to all that the Judge Dredd Mega-Collection launched this week. I picked up volume 1 because I want America in hardback and also to see what it's like. Production quality is fine, with the minor quibble that the art is white bordered - it'd look better black bordered. Content-wise, the book has everything from the America TPB plus several one-shot stories: one centring on a character from the America stories, one about Dredd's relationship with his now adult niece Vienna, and one that appears to have been included because Colin MacNeil was the artist. There's also a brief essay on why the Megazine was launched in 1990, and a Brian Bolland poster with fluff for the collection on the back.

Part of the fluff hints at forthcoming stories. Five volumes are devoted to Democracy storylines, the first being America and the others including Democracy Now! (the Blanche Dupree stories) and Total War. The Dark Judges are being collected in eight volumes, which pretty much has to be complete including the Anderson stories, Judgement on Gotham, Boyhood of a Superfiend and the current final story, Dark Justice. Anderson is getting a number of volumes of her own, mostly stuff already in the four volumes of Psi-Files. It's also confirmed that Devlin Waugh, Dirty Frank and Kursed Earth Koburn are getting volumes; probably Missionary Man, Red Razors and Armitage as well. Lastly, they're reprinting all the Mega-Epics.

So, mostly it will be stuff that Case Files collectors will have, but it's still worth dipping in for the volumes centred on ancillary characters.

Unknownone
Apr 23, 2003

Some stupid 04 bought me this
I've not been collecting the case files (been reading 2000AD for goddam years) but I've subscribed to this collection. 2 hardback collections a month for £20 is a good deal for me.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I really wish there was an option to only get stuff that didn't make it into the complete case files. Between those and old 2000AD issues, I'd be triple-dipping on a lot of material, and that's just excessive.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

moths posted:

I really wish there was an option to only get stuff that didn't make it into the complete case files. Between those and old 2000AD issues, I'd be triple-dipping on a lot of material, and that's just excessive.

There is - it's called "don't subscribe". The next three volumes are Mechanismo, Apocalypse War and Origins. The first two are already in CFs; Origins will be eventually as well, though not for a good many years so you're as well getting the HB. Unless you're an anal completist who couldn't bear to see the gaps in the spine picture, I'd say pick up anything originally published after 2002 as it won't be in CFs for five years and anything with a character you like that isn't Dredd or Anderson. The rest can slide.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I had the impression it was subscription only, that's great if I can pick them up independently!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

moths posted:

I had the impression it was subscription only, that's great if I can pick them up independently!

Yeah, they go on sale in newsagents every fortnight. You may be boned if you're not UKian, though.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Yeah I can't get anything state-side unless I specifically order it, and even then it's spotty.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

moths posted:

Yeah I can't get anything state-side unless I specifically order it, and even then it's spotty.

I am UK, but I get Hachette's Marvel piecework from my FLCS so Diamond must carry it. Talk to your own shop, they should be able to get you individual volumes if you can tell them in advance when you want them. Failing that, Hachette do sell back issues through their website.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It'll be a pain to keep on top of but probably worth it, thanks.

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

I found this thought you guys might like it.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

moths posted:

I think after a while it may become subscription only? Then again, the Goon who got the Marvel version of this thinks otherwise. I'm planning on getting Mechanismo, but after that I'm not really interested...

Unless they reprint the Armitage stories, which I can't find anywhere!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

LashLightning posted:

I think after a while it may become subscription only? Then again, the Goon who got the Marvel version of this thinks otherwise. I'm planning on getting Mechanismo, but after that I'm not really interested...

Unless they reprint the Armitage stories, which I can't find anywhere!

Armitage is in the spine art. I would assume at least one volume and possibly two for him.

And no, it won't ever be sub only because you can order it through comic stores and it will be on the shelves in UK newsagents.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Judge Dredd is my favorite comic ever, and it is beautiful that John Wagner, Carlos Esquerra, and others are still on board decades later. There's nothing approaching the endless quality and variety of excellence across Wagner's run on this book from the 70s to present. If you're in this topic you probably know that, but just sayin'! I love that he has this platform to just keep coming back and writing this incredible comic, nothing quite like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

profbobo
May 22, 2004

Vivat Buster!

Goddamn this is so nice in person. Hand-embellished Dredd script book, edition of 5. Need a book stand, but you get the idea.

• Locked thread