Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

What did the lower down troops like the longbowman wear into battle?

And speaking of longbowman, what were the non-english counterparts to the longbowmen like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Were there any formalized systems for unarmed combat during the medieval era, and if so, what were they like?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I read that the Spanish even developed a kind of modern racism during the inquisition. Most of the Muslims in Spain were North African in origin, so dark skin became linked with Islamist leanings.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

edit: gently caress, wrong thread

SlothfulCobra fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Mar 18, 2013

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

What was slavery like in medieval Europe? I understand that the bulk of the old Roman slavery system had dissolved in the mess that was feudalism by then, but there must have still been some proper slaves, since Portugal at least was buying African slaves through Morocco before they developed sailing techniques to cut out the middleman.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Are those Bat'leths?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It seems so wrong that that beautiful calligraphy next to those childish scrawls.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

How did people in medieval times react to beached whales? It seems like it happens fairly often in the modern age, so they must've encountered some. Did they know about whales, or did they make up crazy stories to explain it?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Jesus, I never knew that whaling went back that far.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

What did heavily armored soldiers do when they needed to go to the bathroom? Were there any sorts of shortcuts to taking off the armor, or did they just always risk soiling their armor?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

edit: wrong thread

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Where did the concept of a crown come from?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

How were children raised in royal courts, and how much did they get to socialize with other children?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

HEY GAL posted:

Nope, those borders settled a while ago and now we coexist.

Dirty heathens.

It's a soda.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

how much trauma does it take to bust some heavy armor like that? Are there any busted helmet artifacts remaining from those times?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

How common were bandits and raiders living outside the normal borders of society?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

But how many potatoes have ever become knights?!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'm having trouble figuring out how...prominent currency would have been during the medieval period. I read a book a little while back all about how lots of people had sort of a "favor" economy with people that they dealt with on a regular bases, especially in situations where there was insufficient money supply, and I can't really figure out how much physical coinage people lower down like peasants would have on hand.

And then there's all the pilgrims you hear about in these days. Did people trying to go on long journeys around this time amass lots of coinage to pay for food and places to stay, did they rely on the kindness of strangers, or did they just try their luck at living off the land along their way?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

From the way it reads, it sounds more like somebody just really hated the 30 years' war.

Maybe some salty papists.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

How did various nobles prove that they had their titles? Were there any sorts of official documents regarding them?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Kemper Boyd posted:

I always groan when someone fights a duel with their visor down. That is a really good choice if you don't want to see poo poo while fighting, and getting winded as fast as you can.

Also, the swordplay on the show is subpar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN30YMzja6Y

I can see that being done by a dork who's only ever fought in the field, or doesn't have confidence in their skill in not getting hit.

I'm no swordfighting expert, but I guess even if the moment-to-moment actions are kinda dumb, the overall idea behind that fight is sound? The dude without armor is better off using his mobility to his advantage and letting the dude with armor tire himself, while the armorless dude looks for a good opening. I'm not sure how exactly those couple of slashes took down the dude with armor though, running the blade over the armor shouldn't do much, unless there's no chainmail or anything beneath the plate armor to guard against a simple cut? What a dork.

Also the hole in the floor seems like a dumb feature for the duel. If you've got dudes fighting each other with swords, than I'd expect most of the harm that comes to the your swordfighting dudes to come from sword-related reasons as opposed to a lack of OSHA standards. Also it brings to mind a lot of weird engineering questions as to how they have a room that big made entirely of stone that high up with apparently no support from below, unless the hole is some kind of warp portal or some weird thing, I don't know anything about Game of Thrones lore.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Yeah, but there very clearly isn't a dome or anything like that supporting the room, because there's no shadow being cast by what any sort of massive domelike structure, and there's even a goddamn forest directly beneath the building, which either means that that there's some kind of bizarre arboretum being maintained within the castle walls, or the whole room is on some weird outcropping off to the side of the supporting structure rather than being supported on all sides. And then on top of all of that, this big ol' fancy chamber is high enough that there are clouds passing beneath it.

If it weren't supposed to be a medieval setting, I'd guess that they were all in a giant blimp.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Is it legal to go walking around with a sword on you in the US, or do you have to strap a gun to it for safety.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Man, who even checks for a penis while they're in the middle of wrestling, that's real weird.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I've had questions in my head for a while about bandits and what they are in an actual historical setting, but I've been having a hard time figuring out how to phrase them. Free-floating groups of bandits are a fixture in fiction, especially in medieval settings, but I can't really wrap my head around them.

Where do they come from? I hear things about out of work soldiers and how the scandinavians did it as some kind of hobby/vacation and get together in a roving band to wreak havoc in Europe independently of the actual Scandinavian conquests going on at the time, but I also read things about little communities hiding away like a bunch of muslims setting up shop in one of northern Italy's mountain passes to harass travelers or sallying forth to raid and such. Do entire communities just sometimes up and lift anchor to wander off somewhere to become bandits? I get that especially in a pre-nation-state world where borders aren't strictly maintained there can be entirely undocumented groups roving around in lands that are ostensibly somebody's dominion, but settling down? How does that work?

What do they eat? I get that they're supposed to be sustained by their banditry, but it feels like stealing all that food would be a lot of work, and very quickly draw attention from authorities. Sure if they get loot they could theoretically translate that into food, but how do you liquidate that loot? Especially when any big merchants will be wary of the area because there's supposed to be bandits out there.

I get really caught up on all these things because I'm always wondering about the economics of these situations, and the idea of bandits just seems really unfeasible to me. Like there's this whole built up idea about criminals in the wild west, but as I understand it, the stories are all overblown because rural towns in the middle of nowhere without business to bring money or supplies in just can't sustain lots of criminal activity. How well could bandits do when they're not under employ as soldiers?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Thanks for the answers. That's always been something that bugged me.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

He's got some good points, but you have to take a lot of grains of salt with some things he says, since he does a lot of conjecture with little support. Also he comes off as a bit of a smug prick.

He's sort of a lite version of an academic.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

That really makes Poland's origin story of being founded by one of three brothers who got lost hunting seem weak in comparison. I guess it was at least more plausible?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There wasn't so much a loss of technology in the middle ages as there was a loss of industrial capacity from the downfall of the roman empire. I don't think there are too many examples of actual innovations being lost to the ages except for the exact recipe for greek fire and that one time it turned out Archimedes discovered calculus.

Far more important to the layman perspective, is the fact that if you look at a glance at the shift from ancient to medieval is that the narrative that most of us follow along shifts location by a couple thousand miles, while the actual resources and power structures of the world moved a couple thousand miles in the opposite direction towards anatolia and the middle east. Rome may have seen better days, but it was still a massive city. In comparison to the glories of ancient Rome, England and Germany seemed like a much of idiot mud farmers, but they weren't any better during the ancient era.

SlothfulCobra fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Sep 28, 2016

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

And here I thought that Aristotle's works were just a giant list of animals, a summary of physics as they best knew it at the time, teaching Alexander the great, and getting snubbed by Plato for being a nerd.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Some of those ancient era god-kings seem like they'd fit the bill. There's some degree to which an absolute dictatorship is more viable than ever in the modern era where you can have a smaller group of individuals being able to oppress greater amounts of people with modern technology, but that same technology also makes any sort of rebels far more effective, so it's a mixed bag.

Medieval Europe is sort of an aberration in how they had to deal with a separate and independent church that could draw its own taxes and exert its own control over the populace.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There's really no definite answer. Even if you and your family have become fully entrenched and part of the community, others may turn on you if the political situation prompted it. I think a lot of muslims in america were thought of as entirely native before islamophobia started sweeping the US to make people think of them as totally foreign.

Back in medieval times, I think people would've mostly cared about being native to their own village rather than to their country. I'm really not sure if they really bothered much about who was ruling them unless they were part of the aristocracy.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Debt: The First 5000 Years was a really useful book for me, but it has a significantly wider scope than just the medieval era.

Also, I got some really nice answers last time I asked a similar question in this thread, this was among them.

Schenck v. U.S. posted:

Here, have a lecture Christopher Dyer (PDF) delivered at the British Numismatic Society. Dyer is probably the most prominent historian of daily life in medieval Britain, and the currency nerds invited him to talk about what ordinary rural people did with coins.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Xiahou Dun posted:

It doesn't have a trigger????

More importantly, it looks like a Luger, but it's missing the entire bolt.

Gotta love that ultra-useless sight.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

They weren't necessarily on good terms with the Byzantine empire, and I really wouldn't expect an illiterate frank like Charlemagne to see inherent superiority in Greek scholarship. Rome itself was valuable because it had the Pope to proclaim him Emperor of all Romans, but the Byzantines not so much.

He did reach out to the Muslim Empire though, but all he got out of that were some cool-rear end elephants.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's a different writing system that you read significantly differently from plain ol' letter printing, but if you're educated about it and used to it, you'll be able to deal with it. That's half the reason they teach cursive in schools, not necessarily so kids will pick it up as a faster way to write, but so they'll just be able to read other people's handwriting.

At least in theory. I still can only barely read cursive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

A duke rules a duchy, a count rules a county, a baron rules a barony, and a margrave rules a march. Prince can mean multiple things, but in-keeping with the rest of those, a prince rules a principality. Normally the size of the domain goes like duchy > county > barony, and then a march is sort of above county, but it's supposed to be like the border territory of the realm that the margrave looks after.

• Locked thread