Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Mans posted:

What's the difference between the Knarr and a Cog? Mainly in architectural design.

Cogs were "evolved" from knarrs. So there's not a big difference between a late knarr and a early cog.

Typical 12th century cog's length/width/draugth/freeboard relationship is 14/4/2/2, while typical 9th century knarr's is 14/4/1/1. If you made a cog and a knarr that had the same length, they would need the same amount of sailors because their rigging is identical, ie. one mast with one square-rigged sail. Cog would be higher and deeper than knarr and its cargo capacity would be larger. That means that cogs could transport cargo cheaper and they were more seaworthy and harder to board, but knarrs could travel by river and could be transported overland to the next river. Knarrs could also be rowed easier and could be easily beached so they didn't need harbours. Cogs and knarrs weren't the same length though. Cogs were usually twice the length of knarrs.

Later cogs were quite different from knarrs. They had more masts. Early knarrs had straight or slightly inward curving bow and stern, while later cogs had a bowsprit. Knarrs and early cogs had a side mounted steering oar and later cogs had stern mounted rudder. Later cogs had full deck and earlier cogs and knarrs had no deck or partially covered deck. Must have been fun travelling to Greenland in an open ship. Knarrs and early cogs didn't have castles. Later cog had castles added on after the ship was launched and even later models the castles built-in originally. Later cogs had crows' nests.

Comparison of a cog and knarr.

Knarr replica.

Cog drawing without castles.

Dutch cog replica that has castle built in after launch.

Bremen Kogge replica that has castle built in originally. (Click for larger).

Cogs and knarrs served different needs and both were well suited to their job. Cogs were used by Baltic and North Sea traders who had to transport lots of cargo as cheaply as possible. That means they needed ships with large cargo space and ships that were so seaworthy they could be used also in spring and autumn. High freeboard was useful against pirates who usually used small boats.

Knarrs weren't used by large trading guilds, but by farmers and small-time traders. Each crew member bought a share of the ship. Knarrs weren't built in big city shipyards but in small villages. Knarrs and other Viking era ships weren't really that seaworthy, and they were used usually in coastal and river trading and raiding. Longer journeys were made only once a year in the summer when the winds were calmer. So if you wanted to trade in Iceland, Greenland or Vinland, you made the trip one year, and came back the next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Alhazred posted:

Pretty much:

I remember reading some quote, where an Arab is writing what he saw through the window in the next house in some Crusader state city. He describes a man and a naked woman sitting in the same room talking, and then some other guy comes in and the woman doesn't try to cover herself. It also described minutely how long her pubic and armpit hair was.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Do you have sources about armor penetration, where they have counted how many joules you need to get through and how many joules you get out of different weapons. I have The Knight and the Blast Furnace: A History of the Metallurgy of Armour in the Middle Ages & the Early Modern Period, are there others? I'd be especially interested in pre-medieval armors.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Maybe those aren't boobs, but swollen lymph nodes from bubonic plague.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Obdicut posted:

I've read that during the Mongol invasion of the 'Russian' states, the Mongols made their arrows in such a way that the Russians couldn't use them after they'd been fired, whereas the Mongols could re-use the Russian arrows fired at them.

So how's that work?

This is from multiple sources, most recently "Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World" by Jack Weatherford.

Vikings had a pin in some of their spearheads they could take off before throwing. Then when the spear hits, the head comes off. Maybe the arrows worked likewise?

Quite so. :golfclap:

Hogge Wild fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Apr 21, 2013

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
By the way arrows are shot not fired.
:goonsay:
A pet peeve of mine, and one of the few things that Braveheart got right.

Someone has asked the same question as you: Straight Dope

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Phobophilia posted:

(I can't want to see what :agesilaus: thinks of this discussion of the historicity of the Iliad.)

I'd like to see that too, but alas: http://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?s=&action=getinfo&userid=183787
I think my first post was a reply to him. We really should have kept him around as a History thread jester. Speaking of jesters: was it really customary that they could speak their mind to the king, or is that made up by later playwrights?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Nektu posted:

Asking a historic question again: did the vikings even use bows in warfare or were they only known as hunting weapons?

From Wikipedia:

quote:

The institution known as leiđangr , was a public levy of free farmers typical for medieval Scandinavians. It was a form of conscription to organise coastal fleets for seasonal excursions and in defence of the realm...

The older laws regulating the leiđangr (the Norwegian "Older Law of the Gulating" dates to the 11th or 12th century) require every man to, as a minimum, arm himself with an axe or a sword in addition to spear and shield, and for every rowbench (typically of two men) to have a bow and 24 arrows.

Bows are cheap compared to armor, so it would be relatively cheap for farmers to equip themselves with bows. It seems that bows were quite common weapons. They were used in opening phases of battles and in sieges.

Here's more stuff: http://www.strongbowsaga.com/showwik.asp?WikID=38

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

tonberrytoby posted:

They shot some actual arrows at Toshio Mifune back in the days. And it looked really cool.

So it did: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITyt4RvmBFw

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

HEGEL CURES THESES posted:

Yeah, except that they take a shitton of practice to be able to use correctly. The way I've heard it, you can't just go from zero to "can fire the thing" in a day, which may have been one of the reasons that early firearms took off. Although I don't have personal experience with either bows/crossbows or the earliest firearms, so I might be wrong.

I'm not an archer either. What I've read, is that while it's not easy to hit your target with an arrow, it doesn't take years of practice. The hardest part of using those powerful warbows is the amount of strength you need to use them effectively. English longbowmen can be recognized from their skeletons, because their constant practice from an early age made their bodies adapt, and they had enlarged left hands etc.

If half the men in leidang ships were equipped with bows, it would suggest that archery was a popular sport, so I don't think that lack of practice was a problem for the vikings. Early firearms weren't necessary more effective than bows, but you could take some underfed, stunted poor and train him to use a firearm in a short period of time, but you can't create good archers from the thin air. All good archers (and slingers) have come from cultures where their sport has been widely spread. And if you're a war-leader from some of those cultures, then it is relatively cheap to equip large numbers of archers.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Strabo about Balearic slingers: "And their training in the use of slings used to be such, from childhood up, that they would not so much as give bread to their children unless they first hit it with the sling."
From here: http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Roman/Texts/Strabo/3E*.html

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Here's some comparisons between different bows and armors: http://www.scribd.com/doc/32932734/The-Land-Forces-of-Byzantium-in-the-10th-Century
Starts from page 11. It's about Byzantine Army in the 10th century, and there's long digression about bows.

tldr: Sources differ, but going by the lower figure: bows are effective against mail up to 100m, potentially lethal against unarmored humans up to 200m and wounding up to 300m. For horse-bows the ranges are halved. Bows that are good for shooting arrows to long distance aren't good at penetrating armor.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Railtus posted:

I read it and I’m still not sure how he comes to the 100m conclusion. The main test I see is mail piercing being unlikely past 50m even when using a very powerful bow. There are a few cases where he notes people claiming implausibly high numbers, but with the exception of the Williams test there is little indication of what the evidence is for the claims about mail.

Even accepting 50m as a figure, to me it raises the question what stops cavalry charges from just being routinely shot down by archers on the way in. I think there is definitely more going on than is being considered here.

The situation you describe sounds like a mix of Verneuil & Patay. In Verneuil the English archers were quickly scattered by French cavalry (though with not too many dead longbowmen and the English men-at-arms drove off the French) and at Patay a relatively small French cavalry force quickly crushed an English army. The HYW English would have a technological advantage, so it is possible that the Mongol heavy cavalry would not be as well armoured, although the general trend I see is the English did not do well against armoured cavalry unless they were fighting from a prepared defensive position.

However, things like this is what makes me lean towards armour on the armour vs arrows debate. If it was feasible or reliable to shoot down armoured cavalry during a charge then it would be less common for a cavalry charge to defeat archers.

At Mohi, the Mongols used fire weapons on the Hungarian camp rather than try to assault it directly, and just attacked the people escaping from the fire and smoke rather than fight them. I am not sure how well it would work on the English fields of stakes if at all, though.

If the English are dug in, as they preferred during the HYW, then the Mongols could not assault their camp directly. On the other hand, without their field fortifications the English are vulnerable. This raises the question of whether the Mongols need to launch an attack right now, or whether they can fall back and attack at another angle or cut off the English supply lines. My feeling is artillery would play an important role: either for the English as a way of provoking the Mongols into making an attack, or for the Mongols in disrupting the English defences.

The Mongol horse archers would probably not be that important for this scenario. If this specific Mongol army was overly dependent on the horse archers then I would give the advantage to the English, but I think it is important to note that Mongols had far more than horse archers in their toolbox.

If bows start to penetrate armors only at close ranges, then the archers can't inflict great casualties at the charging armored cavalry. Weren't the great English victories in the HYW won on muddy fields where the cavalry couldn't charge properly?

Mongol horse-archers carried also longer bows for dismounted use, and their cavalry was a mix of archers and lancers. So as you say, they had lots of tools.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Yeah, armor penetration was probably only possible if you hit at a good angle. So that's another reason why bows weren't so effective against armored targets at longer ranges.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

PiratePing posted:

Today I've been reading medieval jokes instead of studying

:) Do you have a link for more of these?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Obdicut posted:

Europe in Medieval times, meanwhile, mostly attacked itself-- aside from the adventures in the Middle East. I think you make a good point that Europe was, say, more militarily dense than other areas, but I think the extreme political fragmentation, especially of the Holy Roman Empire, makes the idea of a coherent defense against the Mongols unlikely, and so victories investable. I also think that the crusading aspect would be limited because the Mongols allowed freedom of religion, which Friar John had reported on (if you haven't read his report, it's awesome: http://depts.washington.edu/silkroad/texts/carpini.html definitely not a guy who believed in Mongol invincibility) even after the "Prester John" myth got deflated. In other words, if you look at Mongol-Christian relations, you definitely don't see a 'crusading' aspect against them in general, more a bunch of shifting and confused attitudes that I don't think indicate either a real comprehension of the possible threat or an idea that unity was necessary to defeat it.

I read the Carpini's book few years ago; good stuff. Here's the complete text: http://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/h/hakluyt/voyages/carpini/complete.html. Everyone in this thread should read it. Carpini would feel himself at home in this thread, because he also spergs on about what kind of weapon combinations one should use to fight against horse-archers. Carpini did write that unity was necessary to defeat Mongols if they attacked, because no country would be able to do it alone.

PiratePing posted:

The ones I quoted I grabbed from here, online/ebook versions of the Facetiae by Poggio here. The Art of Party Crashing is pretty good too.

medievalists.net is a really good website by the way. They have tons of cool resources and amazing articles. :)

Thanks.

Hogge Wild fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Oct 3, 2013

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

handbanana125 posted:

I understand this may be more late-classical era / early Medieval than most of what goes on in this thread, but I'm curious as to how the Vikings were able to develop technology, navigation skills, and the idea of colonization so far ahead of the rest of Europe. I took a couple classes as a history undergrad, but aside from the "they sailed a lot" I never really got an in-depth answer. One of the things I point to is that the Mediterranean cultures had several instances of famous maritime traditions, but despite centuries of experience and advancement, relied heavily on land marks and tended to stick close to shore during their voyages.

Vikings (I'm using the word to mean medieval and earlier era Scandinavians) lived on the coasts and fished a lot. Their famous longships are basically fishing boats that been upgraded generation after generation. The Wikipedia article is quite good at explaining it in depth. The reason that Vikings became so good at navigation and sailing is basically "they sailed a lot". They knew about the latitudes. My guess is that the length of Norway is the reason that they found out about them. People living in the west coast of Norway kept in touch with other colonies on the west coast only with ships. The colonies were sparsely distributed and their ships were fast. So maybe some of the sailors realized that some object's shadow was of different length the more northern they went. Vikings used the latitudes to sail east-west directions. They could easily sail to Britain, Iceland, Greenland and Vinland by using them. Finding new lands was harder, and Vikings found new lands only by accident or by learning from others.

The ancient Mediterraneans could navigate on open sea quite well.

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

The Greeks and Carthaginians were way into colonisation. You just have to like sailing and have a functional military to be able to poo poo out little cities in faraway lands.

I don't know how the Vikings actually navigated their way to Newfoundland, but you can be pretty sure it was possible because of their ships. Classical era ships aren't very seaworthy, and crossing the Atlantic is pretty rough. When the look at the Mediterranean, you see a lot of land and opportunity for people to settle. There's really no reason for anybody to wander out the gates of Gibraltar and keep going West, because there is plenty of poo poo to do already.

The Carthaginians did some incredible stuff with their trading though. I think they were definitely involved in the tin trade with Britain, and possibly gold and slaves from coastal West Africa. There's also that crazy idea that they managed to reach Brazil, but I don't think there's any evidence for that one.

Vikings found Newfoundland probably because a ship was blown away by storm. After that, it was easy for them to find a way back, because they knew about the latitudes. Of course, sailing there wasn't that easy, because their ships while good at rowing quickly on good weather, weren't that good at open sea travel. Not even their merchant ships. Classical era merchant ships were more seaworthy. Roman grain ships were even more seaworthy than the ships Magellan's fleet used to sail around the world.

Carthagians (a Phoenician colony) could have accidentally sailed to Brazil. There's just not any evidence about it. In fact it's easier to sail from Carthage to Brazil, than from Roskilde to Newfoundland. Phoenicians traded in western Africa, and only thing needed for them to find Brazil was one storm. And to survive back home. There is even some literary evidence that Phoenicians sailed around the Africa.

Prevailing winds.

Clipper route. The most efficient sailing route.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

poisonpill posted:

Whoa, what texts?

[quote="The History of Herodotus Book IV
Written 440 B.C.E
Translated by George Rawlinson"]
For my part I am astonished that men should ever have divided Libya, Asia, and Europe as they have, for they are exceedingly unequal. Europe extends the entire length of the other two, and for breadth will not even (as I think) bear to be compared to them. As for Libya, we know it to be washed on all sides by the sea, except where it is attached to Asia. This discovery was first made by Necos, the Egyptian king, who on desisting from the canal which he had begun between the Nile and the Arabian gulf, sent to sea a number of ships manned by Phoenicians, with orders to make for the Pillars of Hercules, and return to Egypt through them, and by the Mediterranean. The Phoenicians took their departure from Egypt by way of the Erythraean sea, and so sailed into the southern ocean. When autumn came, they went ashore, wherever they might happen to be, and having sown a tract of land with corn, waited until the grain was fit to cut. Having reaped it, they again set sail; and thus it came to pass that two whole years went by, and it was not till the third year that they doubled the Pillars of Hercules, and made good their voyage home. On their return, they declared- I for my part do not believe them, but perhaps others may- that in sailing round Libya they had the sun upon their right hand. In this way was the extent of Libya first discovered.
[/quote]

From here: http://classics.mit.edu/Herodotus/history.4.iv.html.

It was also done with a replica: http://www.sail-world.com/Cruising/international/Phoenicia-proves-the-skeptics-wrong-by-circumnavigating-Africa/75982

It's by Herodotus, so take it with a grain of salt.

By Kate Beaton.

Hogge Wild fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Nov 21, 2013

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Everyone has problems at sieging good fortifications. The reason for tearing down castles is that your enemies can't occupy them again, and that the governors or vassals you appoint to rule the area can't rebel so easily.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
I've just recently realized how widespread and popular cloth armors were. But how good were they at protecting against swords and arrows?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

DandyLion posted:

Here is a really good hands-on test/review (that I believe is what RabidWeasel was referencing from earlier in the thread) of a variety of cloth armor thicknesses (along with some maille testing). Really fascinating how effective against cuts cloth armors were.

http://www.myarmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=11131

Interesting test, pity that they used modern target practice arrows.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Cacotopic Stain posted:

For weapons like the kanabo and scythe were they ever used in battle or is that just the stuff of fiction and legends? Also what books are good for giving some of the more unique weapons like the khanda or the urumi the spotlight?

War scythes were used.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

veekie posted:

Looks a bit more like a naginata than a scythe, but that makes sense too.

Naginata is sharpened on the other side.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Kopijeger posted:

Probably with any absorbent material that was readily available, like straw, dried leaves, old rags and suchlike.

Also moss.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Squalid posted:

Lol.

How do you justify your absurd pomposity when you're literally reading children's books

BTW I can answer the question, with academic sources. I've held off so far because I wasn't familiar with specific circumstances on the border, but also in the hope you'd pull your head out of your rear end. It's obvious that's isn't going to happen now, you seem about as self aware as a pile of bricks. Still I think there's enough interest in the topic that I'd like to share anyway. Bell the Cat would you mind, uh, never posting here again, in exchange?

Can you take your head out of your own arse Squalid?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Railtus posted:

I think the difference between metal and non-metal armour can be overstated. There is a lot of variation within each category. The Conquistadors would, on occasion, favour Aztec cotton armour over their own breastplates.

For instance, the Ordinances of Louis XI of France, describes a padded jack with “For never have I seen half a dozen men killed by stabs or arrow wounds in such jacks, particularly if they be troops accustomed to fighting.” This is from the 15th century, but it shows that organic armours can still be very protective. This kind of armour would certainly be protective in a shield wall (although the bulk might be a factor).

Metal armour can cover a lot of ground as well. For instance, a Viking in metal armour could be just be wearing a waist-length byrnie with T-shirt length sleeves and a helmet, or he could be wearing more complete armour (byrnie down to the knees with elbow-length sleeves, avantail for the neck on his helmet, metal splint forearms as in the picture below).

http://weaponsandwarfare.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/dSreatrshyjhn.jpg

If the metal armour covers primarily the torso, then it might not give much protection that the shield wall does not already provide. Under some circumstances, a shield wall could help compensate for being at a disadvantage of armour.

Those are my thoughts, I hope they are helpful.

Armours in shield walls aren't probably that important. Alexander the Great favoured linen or leather torso armours for his hoplites. They did have metal helms and greaves, but those protect the areas not protected by the shield.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

JaucheCharly posted:

A linothorax isn't exactly weak armor

Yeah, cloth armour seems pretty effective.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Jabarto posted:

Since it's come up, I've been told that leather armor was rarely, if ever, used in Europe, and that mail or padded cloth were pretty much the only things used for armor until plate came along. Is that true?

I mentioned leather earlier, because some of hoplite cuirass armour was made from it. Romans also used some, but Medieval and Modern Europeans didn't use it almost at all.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Didn't the victim have to collect the reparations himself?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Finland and Sweden have Doom Churches instead of Cathedrals.

edit: hahaha Xiahou Dun, your world view is restored, I checked the etymology and in this case the 'dom' in 'domkyrka' does not come from the word 'doom', but the latin word 'domus' :).

Hogge Wild fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jul 8, 2014

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

Also, shield size DID NOT decrease uniformly. Large shields like pavises were used into the 15th century by foot soldiers for fighting, not just as mobile cover for archers.

I always thought they were just used as mobile covers. Did the foot soldiers use them like Roman Legionnaires? Can you post pics?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Are they using single sided picks at the gate or is it a sickle like weapon?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

JaucheCharly posted:

bows and arrows

Don't the crossbows shoot a slower but heavier projectile and therefore gain better penetration?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

my dad posted:

Man, the bow posts are such a joy to read. :allears:

Agreed. I love reading about crafts. I wish we could get some smiths here too.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

HEY GAL posted:

And even the kills aren't insta-kills.

Imagine being chased by that guy.

Even if the blood flow is stopped, the brains will have oxygen for some seconds. Striking a few blows sounds realistic, but running 200 paces may be a bit exaggerated.

Only blows to the brain or the spinal cord will stop a human instantly.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

HEY GAL posted:

It makes sense that the witnesses and the guy he was chasing might have exaggerated though. You think you've dropped him, and then holy poo poo

I hope he was wearing his brown breeches.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

I'm not surprised that longbows are more powerful than slings, although it seems unfair to compare slings with technology at least 2000 years more modern. I don't think the material has any effect on the impact, because I've never heard of arrows killing somebody without penetrating their armour, while bullets were widely known to be capable of doing so.

Nobody's army is really training slingers en-masse . The most skilled slingers in classical times came from Rhodes or the Balearics where they developed a mercenary industry, but everybody who picks up slinging is doing it because they need to guard their livestock. Whereas a steppe nomad can ride around on a horse and get somebody to make a fancy composite bow, a Balearic shepherd needs to trot up and down hills all day and doesn't know how to make a worthwhile bow. He'll throw rocks at other rocks, or wolves, maybe people, all day and get really good at it. Thing is, "lifestyle" weapons get isolated to specific groups of people, and over time demographic changes can make them less relevant. The middle ages see professional armies develop, and there isn't much place in those for shepherds from the booniest of boonies.

There were professional armies a long time before the Middle Ages. And some of those ancient armies did have professional slingers. I'm not sure if anyone trained even archers en-masse. Weren't they, like slingers, from groups that were accustomed to their weapon from a young age.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

NyxBiker posted:

I bet the slings were very unprecise though, also why use a Sling instead of a Bow? Which is faster and way more precise in my opinion

Have you tried both? I haven't tried shooting with either so I wouldn't know. Is there anyone here who has experience with both weapons?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Since ranged weapons in general take more time to get acquainted with, I'm wondering if it's possible that a military might not have any ranged weapons due to a lack of recruits familiar with bows or whatnot. Does your average peasant own a bow?

It kind of happened every now and then. If a state didn't have means to recruit specialist forces like archers or mounted archers, they hired them amongst some other people. But that isn't to say that they didn't have any ranged weapons. Everyone used at least thrown weapons if nothing else, and there were always some people who could use bows, even when there weren't enough archers to form whole units.

In 1360 a thatcher earned 3.5p/day and a labourer 1.5p/day. Longbow cost was 1s (ie. 12p), so your average peasant could have owned a bow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Frostwerks posted:

I've heard that the M1A1 carbine would be stopped at range by sufficiently thick overcoats.

I've heard about it too. But it's probably just some ricochet.

• Locked thread