Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Finally caught up on this thread. Favorite one on SA for sure. Thanks for starting it, Railtus!

I've been out of the sword game for a while. Where does everyone look for reasonably priced items now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

DandyLion posted:

I would recommend considering used equipment if cost is a major factor in your decisions.

I've had some amazing finds on reddit from clueless sellers not appraising the value of what they're selling adequately, and there's always the http://www.myarmoury.com/talk/viewforum.php?f=14 marketplace were people are selling their used stuff. I can usually spot several great deals on there at any given time.

Another question, where can one go to try to find lessons? I've tried Google without much success, so I was wondering if there were any better resources.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Siivola posted:

I'm assuming you're looking for historical fencing lessons. This site should be a fairly comprehensive list of active HEMA (historical European martial arts) clubs by area, which should help you get started.

Also, if you like swords (and who doesn't!) do stop by the fencing thread too.

Thanks! That website was helpful! Unfortunately, the only place that offers instruction near me seems...off. Seems like it's more reenacting than legit combat training.

Also, I just started the fencing thread! So much info!

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Here's something I've been wondering about for a few years. In the movie Excalibur, Patrick Stewart's character has this...thing on the left side of his breastplate.

If I remember right, it's only attached at the top, and it swings around a bit when he moves. So, what's it called and what's it's purpose? I'm assuming it's not for emergency battleground orange juice making.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Anyone have experience with the Cold Steel polypropylene wasters? I was thinking about getting one or two, but thought I'd check around first.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Anyone have experience with the Hanwei swords and trainers? I know the katanas used to get pretty good reviews, but I've not researched any of them lately.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

HEY GAL posted:

cheap but bad

Rabhadh posted:

The practical side sword is bad if you want to actually use it

Well, hell. Thanks guys. I'd like something I could use for press drills and light sparring, time to save up, I suppose!

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Rabhadh posted:

I've seen the guard of the practical side sword get loose very quickly and deform after a few hits. You're always better off spending the extra money on a sword that'll hold up to full contact stuff.

Yeah, you're right, really. Are the ideal vendors still Albion and Arms and Armor?

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Alhazred posted:

When it started to rain the Genoese crossbowmen couldn't stop their strings from becoming wet and they had left their shields. That resulted in crossbows that couldn't do that much damage and that they couldn't protect themselves from the British archers.

Crossbows don't work in the rain?

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

DandyLion posted:

Don't let him bind with you. Also plenty of blade grabbing with your free hand if/when he does, and displace/close really fast if he does constrain and smash his face in with your pommel/guard.

I'm totally going to try this the next time I fence against you.

I mean, you're still gonna kill me, but I'm gonna try...

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

HEY GAL posted:

i felt like i had to post it, since there's so much bullshit in the PYF thread right now. Not from you.

Edit: I posted this in the milhist thread years ago, but have a picture of swords in action:

This is from an anonymous Saxon mercenary's sketchbook, 1631. (Sometimes it seems like literally all the guys i study are amateur artists)

I talked about it over beers with a colleague of mine and he thinks it's a rapier on the left (that stance is pretty Italian) and a haudegen on the right.

I love that drawing, there's something so chill about it. A little sparring, a little walking on the earthworks arm in arm with your boyfriend/girlfriend. Look at that dog! (And you imagine whoever owned that sketchbook sitting nearby, maybe on a little hill, watching everything. Did they bring a table out, to set their drawing supplies on? For that matter, was it hard to get drawing supplies in camp or on the march?) The whole thing says "sunny weekend afternoon" to me.

There's a PYF thread about swords?

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Was rock and roll as popular in the middle ages as depicted in popular media?

Freddy Mercury is timeless.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

HEY GAL posted:

so, people who don't actually know how to swordfight at reenactments. All these bullshit little twirls and stage fighting. I want to hurt those guys in specific, tell me how.

Educate them in proper techniques?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Robindaybird posted:

Because they can but also Monks ended up getting a poo poo ton of food as tithes from nobles and local villages.

Beer as well.

• Locked thread