Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah, it's a cultural difference. Art and literature ended up occupying the same mental space that architecture does in the west, since it was mostly all wood construction and constantly rebuilt here.

Don't go during New Year but after that it would be no problem. I'll sadly be back at work and unable to join you, even though it's right next door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Anyone know of Korean subs for The Emperor's new Groove? I'm looking but I can't find it.

Korean name is "쿠스코? 쿠스코!"

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jan 31, 2013

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Oh, you're entirely welcome, glad I could help.

ladron fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jan 31, 2013

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I find the easiest way is to just find the Korean name of the movie and good it with a "자막" at the end.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
ESL Korea: Canadian Language Institute doesn't pay so I trashed thier apartment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CB8v2SM80hA

:lol:

Where to begin with this champion of passive aggression?

"They just fired me because they don't like me...

...I haven't paid my bills in six months."

You failed at Korea, where life comes with training wheels. Throwing a literally infantile fit is a perfect way to cap that failure.

Watch his other videos, his gradual descent into madness is glorious to watch.

Yes, you don't have any friends because everyone else sucks. Amazing.

edit

I just noticed these videos are over a year old, has everyone seen this already? It should really be added to the OP as an example of how not to act.

joedevola fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Jan 31, 2013

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's a good thing he was so insightful that he started his plot for revenge six months before they decided to slight him.

Canadian Language Institute does have a poo poo reputation though.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Holy gently caress how did that guy get hired. Like at what point did they talk to that guy and say "hey, this dude would make a fine teacher".

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

I felt like the camera was always a half second away from panning over a pile of decapitated nurse corpses. :ohdear:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

LimburgLimbo posted:

Holy gently caress how did that guy get hired. Like at what point did they talk to that guy and say "hey, this dude would make a fine teacher".

You haven't been interviewed for a hagwon job I take it.

I forgot how entertaining the Black List is.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
Has anyone been paid for teaching a demo class as part of a job interview? Is this some sneaky test to see how well I know the restrictions on E2 visas?:ohdear:

40k is 40k though. Even if the hr person knows almost nothing about the program and I basically lead the interview. On the plus side my "so, I got this job already in case you didn't know" attitude seems to have worked or everyone else was poo poo. 3.0 no benefits. I hate the idea of putting key money down for a place, landlords and I have a... 'history'

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
This video is pretty funny, even if it's mega-racist and virulent, but I think just about everyone in this thread has felt like this at times:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNmVx4UgSok

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

joedevola posted:

I cant tell if he's drunk in that video or if he really lost his grip. Poor bunny though.

I'd go crazy living there too, his apartment looks tiny as hell. I've stayed in bottom level love motels for extended periods that are bigger than that. He won't get much by trashing it though, they're going to have to pay an ajumma max 30k to take care of that, then have a laugh at him. What was that poo poo on his floor though? Looked like gravel... Or noodles?

Cameron, I wouldn't say we all have days like that. At least nothing close to that. I have bad Korea days, but the worst that comes from that is "loving bitch cutting in front of me, why are there no lines at lottemart this makes no sense. I'm having a bad korea day" then I go home, have a cup of tea and settle down.

Half the poo poo he said sucks about this country I like. I think the passed out dudes making GBS threads their pants give Korea character.

Edit: actually last thread someone did that. They got hosed by their hagwon so they and a friend hosed it up. Not like that guy though.

Double edit: What an rear end in a top hat, http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mXKWKqmsT8Y&feature=youtube_gdata_player

BrainDance fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jan 31, 2013

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

Cameron posted:

just about everyone in this thread has felt like this at times...

No.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I always wonder about guys who put things like this on video publicly. I mean, okay, you have a bad day, but taking that bad day and broadcasting it to the world along with rants against an entire nation, its individual sexes, its culture and so on - not the best of ideas, heh. On my worst day, my private rants about Thailand haven't been anywhere near this awful. They're more like, "WHY CAN'T ANYONE ANSWER A loving EMAIL CORRECTLY!?"

Also, I love that he's chain-smoking the whole time. Just kind of adds that touch of class. The "blow drying his public hair in the loving bathroom" line was pretty funny and reflects a metrosexual reality in much of cosmopolitan Asia. Standing around waiting for a sink in the pisser while a line of metrosexual wannabe pretty boys endlessly primp their hair in the mirror - always leaving, stutter stepping and coming back for one last tussle - that does drive me insane.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jan 31, 2013

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

No, that reflects people blow drying their pubic hair, often in JJBs. I normally see old rear end men doing it, not the young ones. Stop projecting.

Also his apartment is bigger than mine. And when I saw "trashing", I thought punching holes in the walls, which I do without any malicious intent (my security deposit is going to be gone because I am an idiot)

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)

Arctic Baldwin posted:

Also his apartment is bigger than mine.

His apartment is not the largest one around, but it's maybe triple the size of mine. Plus it has a kitchen.

DontAskKant fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jan 31, 2013

GZA Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Ya his room is a lot bigger than the one I stayed in for two years and his bathroom walls aren't made of glass!

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Arctic Baldwin posted:

No, that reflects people blow drying their pubic hair, often in JJBs. I normally see old rear end men doing it, not the young ones. Stop projecting.
Ah, interesting - old rear end men in JJBs can't be cosmopolitan? Some of the worst wannabe-cosmopolitan offenders here are old rear end men in our equivalent of JJBs with their popped collars and young consorts of various genders, heh. If you live near or in one of the giant, 99%-empty-and-100%-sold-out "fancy" new condos you can spot them driving out with their popped collars and sunglasses, mia nois and gigs in the passenger seat (when you own 20 empty units in a massive condo complex, it's a hammer looking for a nail, right?). Interesting to hear that in Korea the vast majority of people who stop in public restrooms to blow dry their pubes and waste everyone's time are old men - who would've guessed!

I'm not "projecting" so much as describing reality as it is here, though, having lived in two of the posher neighborhoods, but then Bangkok's internationally famous as a Bohemian capital, so imagining that a large city in Korea would be anything like it is definitely reaching, heh. The major relationship according to Thai people is the Thai pursuit of Korea's image in its role as the increasingly dominant cultural exporter in Asia. Thanks for the bottle job blonde trend, guys! Anyway, if being pissy about primping fashionistas taking up the sink for ridiculous amounts of time is offensive, that's life, but if you're one of them then gently caress you in the goat rear end, basically. I need to wash my hands and this isn't your dressing room.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jan 31, 2013

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

DontAskKant posted:

His apartment is not the largest one around, but it's maybe triple the size of mine. Plus it has a kitchen.

Are we watching the same video? I didn't see a kitchen and more of the standard kitchen-like stuff shoved in the corner. His fridge looked bigger than mine but whatever, mine matches the aesthetic of my apartment more.

I'm not saying I don't believe you but gently caress dude, wouldn't a third of that apartment be like... A closet? I've seen one apartment before that was literally the size of a walk in closet but the guy living there was Korean.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Have a 12 hour layover in Seoul. Probably 8 hours to go walk around and do stuff, any recommendations for must see sights? Preferably accessible by mass transit?

Will most likely grab food on the go, so no culinary attractions. Also, it will be in September. Still hot around then or flip flops should be a no no?

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

GZA Genius posted:

...his bathroom walls aren't made of glass!

Ha! My first flat in Seoul had that. Made hosting parties awkward.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

joedevola posted:

:lol:

Where to begin with this champion of passive aggression?

"They just fired me because they don't like me...

...I haven't paid my bills in six months."

You failed at Korea, where life comes with training wheels. Throwing a literally infantile fit is a perfect way to cap that failure.

Watch his other videos, his gradual descent into madness is glorious to watch.

Yes, you don't have any friends because everyone else sucks. Amazing.

edit

I just noticed these videos are over a year old, has everyone seen this already? It should really be added to the OP as an example of how not to act.

Of course he has an animal.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

ReindeerF posted:

Ah, interesting - old rear end men in JJBs can't be cosmopolitan? Some of the worst wannabe-cosmopolitan offenders here are old rear end men in our equivalent of JJBs with their popped collars and young consorts of various genders, heh. If you live near or in one of the giant, 99%-empty-and-100%-sold-out "fancy" new condos you can spot them driving out with their popped collars and sunglasses, mia nois and gigs in the passenger seat (when you own 20 empty units in a massive condo complex, it's a hammer looking for a nail, right?). Interesting to hear that in Korea the vast majority of people who stop in public restrooms to blow dry their pubes and waste everyone's time are old men - who would've guessed!

It's not public bathrooms, it's jimjilbangs. And I would say that metrosexual does not really describe the people I see doing it... it's a common thing. And it doesnt really waste anyone's time unless they need to use the blow dryer.

While there is certainly an appearance based custom in Korea (trying to look nice, owning expensive brands, surgery) I wouldn't say that most of your examples fit Korea as well as they fit Thailand

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
Must be some crazy long pubes if you need to blow dry them. Do they comb them as well?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Arctic Baldwin posted:

It's not public bathrooms, it's jimjilbangs.

A Thai guy might not know that jimjibang means public bathhouse guys. :downs:

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
What's a Thai guy doing in here anyways? This is are thread. :japan:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of, you can blame Japan for bottle blond, ladyboy. They did it before (can I say us? what the hell.) Us. Send me some police dog brand tea as recompense for your slander.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Old dudes blowdrying their nuts is hardly a Korea thing. It's a feature of every gym ever built anywhere.
I'm not even sure they come in from outside - I think they just spawn in locker rooms like video game enemies.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

Can you jerks stop talking about pubes?

I give you gold and this is what you do with it. Jesus wept.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

^^^ Oops, sorry man. ^^^

imnotinsane posted:

Must be some crazy long pubes if you need to blow dry them. Do they comb them as well?

It's when they sit in a line braiding each others long luxurious pubes that it gets a little awkward.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Feb 1, 2013

terivinix
Feb 15, 2012

Arctic Baldwin posted:

Also his apartment is bigger than mine. And when I saw "trashing", I thought punching holes in the walls, which I do without any malicious intent (my security deposit is going to be gone because I am an idiot)

I have confirmation from a female friend that Korean women also blowdry their pubes. She used to regale me with stories about how all the girls in the locker room looked naked, which kicked off a lesbian phase. The only downside she said was when these perfectly built girls would aim the public hairdryers crotchward.

And you guys have noticed that Korean pubes aren't curly, right? Really adds a bit of length to them artificially.

terivinix
Feb 15, 2012

lol internet. posted:

Have a 12 hour layover in Seoul. Probably 8 hours to go walk around and do stuff, any recommendations for must see sights? Preferably accessible by mass transit?

Will most likely grab food on the go, so no culinary attractions. Also, it will be in September. Still hot around then or flip flops should be a no no?

Well if you're not interested in checking out Korean pubes, you can take the very affordable airport train line to either Hongdae or the city center. Hongdae is the youth culture part of Korea and there's lots of shopping that would impress girls as well as good bars, live music venues, and nightclubs. Downtown has traditional markets and palaces to visit.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Get outta here Joe, pube talk is the funniest part of this thread every time it rolls around.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Why Korea, why?? What once was great is being reduced to this :emo: New K-pop song to rid the curse please :smith:

SCMP posted:

A laser rendition of South Korean rapper Psy, dancing to fireworks set to the beats of his hit song Gangnam Style, will welcome the Year of the Snake at the Lunar New Year fireworks display on February 11.

"The horse-riding dance symbolises Hong Kong's unchanged spirit," said the fireworks' organisers making reference to Deng Xiaoping's famous promise to the city that "horses will keep racing and nightclub dancing will continue" in post-handover Hong Kong.

"We wanted to do something different this year … so we spent more money and brought in lasers … to accompany the display," said Chong Shing-hum, president of the Chinese Importers' & Exporters' Association.

The organisation is co-hosting the fireworks with the Hainan Commercial Association.

The laser show, featuring other images such as snakes, dolphins and pigeons, will be beamed onto the wall of the Cultural Centre.

The display will also feature pop songs for the first time, such as Katy Perry's hit Firework for the finale, along with Chinese classics.

Three barges in Victoria Harbour will send out 4.5 tonnes of fireworks to a top height of 75 metres during the 23-minute display.

http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/article/1140501/psy-laser-form-will-welcome-new-year

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

The greatest moment I ever had connecting with Koreans happened in an E-Mart bathroom in Mokpo.

I was getting Sunday Hangover McDonalds, and desperately needed to poo poo. So I went over to the shitter, and upon entry I'm hit by a horrendous smell. Worse than your average Korean bathroom. More akin to the Cairo train station.

At the sink there is a adjushi, with no pants on. There is a brown smear on his rear end, and he is scubbing at a pair of pants in the sink. It appears he poo poo himself.

There is a Korean guy about my age(27) assisting, with rubber gloves separating him from the sojushit. Our eyes meet, and in that glance there is an understanding between us. I have been in his place, cleaning poo poo-smeared walls before. A simple nod between us transmits that kinship.

Then I crapped in the clean stall and finished my Quarter pounder.

Since we were talking about bathrooms an poo poo, y'know.

Ceramic Shot
Dec 21, 2006

The stars aren't in the right places.
They obviously needed the posters they put in the stalls at Seoul Station that say something like: "우리 아름다운 화장실문화:" with all the explanation you could ever hope to read afterwards.

I wonder if Korean is the only language that uses "Our" so egregiously (우리 나라/우리 가족/우리 은행). Just for fun while talking to a Korean I said "우리 나라" referring the US and got a chuckle but they wouldn't say why.

dsh
Aug 2, 2003
A friend is visiting me from Korea in LA on a tourist visa next week, landing at LAX around noon. How long I should expect customs to take? I've only ever experienced the green card/citizen line personally.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

I wouldn't expect it to be very long, except for the fact that it's LAX, the most idiotically designed airport

Ceramic Shot posted:

I wonder if Korean is the only language that uses "Our" so egregiously (우리 나라/우리 가족/우리 은행). Just for fun while talking to a Korean I said "우리 나라" referring the US and got a chuckle but they wouldn't say why.

Most of those make sense in English. The thing that gets me is when I have to describe my single apartment. But that's what happens when you make a huge point of filial obligation in culture

poly and open-minded fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Feb 2, 2013

The Bible
May 8, 2010

MA-Horus posted:

The greatest moment I ever had connecting with Koreans happened in an E-Mart bathroom in Mokpo.

I was getting Sunday Hangover McDonalds, and desperately needed to poo poo. So I went over to the shitter, and upon entry I'm hit by a horrendous smell. Worse than your average Korean bathroom. More akin to the Cairo train station.

At the sink there is a adjushi, with no pants on. There is a brown smear on his rear end, and he is scubbing at a pair of pants in the sink. It appears he poo poo himself.

There is a Korean guy about my age(27) assisting, with rubber gloves separating him from the sojushit. Our eyes meet, and in that glance there is an understanding between us. I have been in his place, cleaning poo poo-smeared walls before. A simple nod between us transmits that kinship.

Then I crapped in the clean stall and finished my Quarter pounder.

Since we were talking about bathrooms an poo poo, y'know.

It was pretty damned awesome of that younger guy to help the poor old guy out like that. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nervana
Dec 9, 2010

dsh posted:

A friend is visiting me from Korea in LA on a tourist visa next week, landing at LAX around noon. How long I should expect customs to take? I've only ever experienced the green card/citizen line personally.

Took me almost two hours to clear customs just because of the insane lineup. Once i was through though i got out pretty quick. Maybe a little over half an hour.

Ps. Are canadians allowed to line up on the us citizens/green card line? It was the only time in a long time i entered through a noncanadian route and i was really tempted to try because the lineup was a lot shorter. I noticed they didnt scan my fingerprints like they did with other people.

• Locked thread