Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Outsider perspective: Korea goons are cool, the group chat is all kinds of crazy. A++ would visit again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

The codeword is anime

Is there a way to register for a DMZ tour online? It seems like they're all by phone. I'm alright with Skype calling them but it's a bit of a bother with the time difference, I'm in the USA at the moment.

The USO lets you do it by email.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

HIV is a Western affliction and does not exist in South Korea.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

joedevola posted:

This sentence is bending my mind into a pretzel.

I wonder what the guys got in return for their services :heysexy:

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Yeah but the Catholics are all slave to a Pope. That's also the main issue China has with Catholics, iirc.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

:argh: bones in my tender, tender meat.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

If you smoke the weed, it's gone. That's my advice. I'm Dutch so I'm an expert on these things, you see.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Toussaint Louverture posted:

My old hagwon gave Themata poo poo at least partly because she wasn't white.

Here's the kicker though, my old hagwon had teachers do the interviews for new hires. Around my 11th month they had me interview 4 candidates for a job. This is already a terrible decision because the only thing relevant to a hagwon that I am utterly, woefully abysmal at it is interviews and giving them is even worse than having one. That said, there were four candidates:

A: TESOL, no work experience teaching or otherwise, no travel, sounded high strung.

B: No TESOL, no relevant work experience, Church experience, rampant typos in resume, OK interview.

C: In class TESOL, coaching, clerical experience, extensive travel, good interview.

D: Took another job.

So naturally I recommend C. However, she's a black South African. My director says they can't hire her because she's black. They ask me to recommend someone else. Naturally I said no. There were a tense couple of days and then they hired her. I hope she's still doing alright over there. If they weren't already two foreigners down I probably would have been given some poo poo.

So yeah, if you aren't white you really are at a serious disadvantage, at least for hagwons and after-schools.

Korea Megathread V: I'm black. Why am I black.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Last topic I promised a guide to making makgeolli and I still haven't posted it. But instead I have something better: http://www.mistermakgeolli.com/

It's all scientific and poo poo. Enjoy.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I wish you could make buildings historical so I could have the same apartments everywhere.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

K-pop needs more Hwayoungs. Except a little older I guess.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Good news everyone. KakaoTalk coming to PC?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Brimmy posted:

I feel like I'll lose gooncred for asking but are we all supposed to know who this is?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=75218.0

A 17-year old girl modeling for BitCoins, inspired by a known pedophile. Good stuff.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Spills the Moon posted:

I've got a request that I'm hoping some of you here might be able to help me with.
My dad and step mom might be coming to Korea this summer, and my dad wants me to find a site where he can book hotels and search about the best places to go in Korea. The reason I don't know of anything like that is because most of my travels have been done on recommendations and out of guide books, and I've always just trusted to the fates that I'd be able to find someplace to sleep of a night. My dad, on the other hand, much prefers to have a watertight itinerary where every stop and hotel is booked months in advance. Any websites I can guide him to?

The KTO website? It's pretty good. http://english.visitkorea.or.kr/enu/index.kto
WikiTravel also has good info on Korea.

Maxsmart posted:

Fear Mexichat. (Well any food chat)

Fear any chat related to digestion, really.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

BrainDance posted:

The place hosed up too and scheduled some guys 70th birthday thing at the same time one room over, so our music today was "old guy noraebang trot hits."

They probably had better booze as well, should've crashed that party.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

It'll be like Brasilia except with less cool city design.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

What are they gonna do with all the Gyeong- lines?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

There's also a cool sealife museum thingie near Ulsan and a pottery. Why yes I took the Ulsan City Tour Bus™.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

ReindeerF posted:

Do you want to know a true one? On a sad note, KoreaIsBest.com has fallen out of current registration. The Internet Archive copy is still around. That site generated a lot of laughs even among those of us with very little experience with Korea or Koreans.

Absolute goldmine.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Yeah, eat a lot of food, drink a lot of booze, climb a few mountains, visit a few museums. It's basically the same as in any other country except that the food and booze are really cheap.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

This video previously contained a copyrighted audio track. Due to a claim by a copyright holder, the audio track has been muted.

Wonderful.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Where's the decent action movies and hair metal :colbert:

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Fraktur or bust.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Got this one through a friend, for those who want the sweet sweet life of a university job: http://seoulprofessionals.com/jobs/english-instructor-hansung-university/

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Read every single thing that's posted in the chat. It's worth it.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

반말 ain't got poo poo on Bokmål. :norway:

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I'm gonna introduce Suikerbrood to Korea and make millions.

See those brown spots? It's all sugar, baby.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

According to the Googles there's a 시나본 at 18-12 Euljiro 6-ga in Seoul (near Dongdaemun exit 8).

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Why do you hate the job creators? Why don't you move to North Korea, you communist?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Aesis posted:

Typical Korean conservative response. Is that the best you can come up with?

Why do home owners who use way less electricity have to pay multiple the amount of money compared to industries that use megawatts' worth of electricity in literally blink of an eye? Is it really justifiable because 'they provide jobs'? Do you even realize that they pay minimal amount to profit lot more for themselves?

Is the chaebol not entitled to the sweat of its brow?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I went to Ansan once with Kant and now I'm missing a lung. Thanks Obama!

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

It was nice to use in Daejeon as a tourist even though they were basically children's bicycles for a foreign giant like me.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Spiderjelly posted:

I am China goon. I understand that this was passed down through IRC:

"tell him to book the uso panmunjeom/conference room/ dora observatory tour or its a waste of time USO site has all the rules"

Can anyone provide a link to which specific process I need to follow? I found the USO website:

http://affiliates.uso.org/Korea/?contentid=347

but I didn't find any specific way to reserve tickets other than a Korean phone number.

Also, does anyone need me to mule anything from China? Tea? Ming pottery? Wife?

Send an e-mail to nicole@koridoor.co.kr and tell her the dates you want to travel. IIRC she handles the reservations. This is the information I had to give:

First/Last name:
Passport number:
Nationality:
Civilian/Military:
Phone number:
Tour date:

:siren: Don't go into the tunnel, it's poo poo :siren:

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

96k is for the full tour, afaik.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I went all the way in and all I got was a headache. Running back up is fun though.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Cameron posted:

Aesis, can you explain what she did in the most angry and aggressive way possible? I really want to hate this woman but I just don't know how.

quote:

Often held up as a model of Confucian ideals

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Put the chaebol logos on a new 100k bill.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I hope Kant beats GF with some variation on jjajangmyeon.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

It's not a group chat, it's an experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

When I think of Sistar, I see Lummox.

• Locked thread