Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Walked posted:

Cafe Mozart is down that way and awesome.
Taylor Gourmet isnt too far up 14th; but its not super close either (It's around T St, so about 7 blocks)

Not sure if youre looking for lunches or dinners, so I'll stop there. :)

Either works for me, I just wanted to know what was around the area. I'll give Cafe Mozart a shot later though, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

the_chavi posted:

No kidding! We've seen a lot of stuff just since we made the offer on our house in January. We're on T street, just across North Cap.

I'll have to give that a try. Every time we've come close to doing that, we've just gone to Bacio instead, because I <3 Bacio and its (Turkish, I think?) owners.

Yeah, Attilla is Turkish, although his wife is American. They also own the pet store (Green Paws) upstairs from Bacio.

RBA Starblade - Taylor will also deliver, if that helps.

Longtiem
Feb 9, 2010
Where should I work? I have James Beard award winning FOH experience and want to be making 13+ an hour at the last. Anyone have recommendations?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Longtiem posted:

Where should I work? I have James Beard award winning FOH experience and want to be making 13+ an hour at the last. Anyone have recommendations?

Don't know specifically, but did you see this? DC might be your oyster: http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/...ting-desperate/

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

RBA Starblade posted:

Either works for me, I just wanted to know what was around the area. I'll give Cafe Mozart a shot later though, thanks!

It's a good spot for food trucks! http://foodtruckfiesta.com/

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ChickenArise posted:

It's a good spot for food trucks! http://foodtruckfiesta.com/

Hell yes! I live out in Fair Lakes so I haven't gotten to get to the food trucks yet.

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008
Anyone know a good italian place in Alexandria? I hate driving into DC (parking, ugh) and italian is by far my favorite cuisine. So far what I've found is this nice little place in Old Town called Faccia Luna. Only been there twice but both times were pretty drat good. One of those visits was on a friday night, though, and I found myself shouting so my dinner guests could hear me over the noise. Anyone have some other suggestions? I'd rather not drive out to Arlington or anything, either.

Is Maggio's in Old Town any good?

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Savio's. It's tucked into that shopping center on Van Dorn with the Giant, but the food is so worth it. It's the go-to Italian restaurant for the missus and me.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
Facia Luna is pretty solid.

On the topic of NE DC spots- I just moved into Eckington and tried Rustik with the housemates a week ago. Ok pizza, rest of the menu seemed like it's got potential. I'm also looking forward to checking out Boundary Stone and Red Hen.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Veritek83 posted:

On the topic of NE DC spots- I just moved into Eckington and tried Rustik with the housemates a week ago. Ok pizza, rest of the menu seemed like it's got potential. I'm also looking forward to checking out Boundary Stone and Red Hen.

What's up neighborhood goon... what's that, 3 of us now?

Rustik's pizza is okay, but I was super not impressed with their brunch. Boundary Stone's brunch is much better.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Veritek83 posted:

All three of those places are quite firmly in NW, thank you very much.

Keep an eye out for the forthcoming neighborhood games between Bloomingdale and Eckington, they should be fun.

[edit - that first statement should have a geography version of the :eng101: to convey the levity of my answer, without it, it just looks mean spirited]

drgitlin fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jun 20, 2013

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

drgitlin posted:

Keep an eye out for the forthcoming neighborhood games between Bloomingdale and Eckington, they should be fun.

[edit - that first statement should have a geography version of the :eng101: to convey the levity of my answer, without it, it just looks mean spirited]

Fair enough. I guess this is what I get for having grown up in NoVA.

I know nothing about these games you speak of. PM me.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
I gave Chutzpah another go the other day. Pretty damned good pastrami. Didn't find out they don't make pastrami (no smoker) until afterwards. They say they get it locally and it looks and tastes good. I guess I'll have to go corned beef next time.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

drgitlin posted:

Neighborhood games?

I finally ate at Red Hen last weekend - oh my. Very good. Saturdays they have a special at the bar for an entree, a drink, and an appetizer that is very reasonable.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe

pr0k posted:

I gave Chutzpah another go the other day. Pretty damned good pastrami. Didn't find out they don't make pastrami (no smoker) until afterwards. They say they get it locally and it looks and tastes good. I guess I'll have to go corned beef next time.

Chutzpah is awesome. My favorite Saturday lunch spot before going to the enormous Whole Foods in Fair Lakes for groceries.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009
Stopped by Rasika West End yesterday before a show and we ordered off their Pre-Theatre menu, MY GIRLFRIEND has a garlic allergy and they were able to accommodate her allergy (she mentioned the Dal Dhungaree was a bit too plain, but then again it was missing delicious delicious garlic). The Palak Chaat is still my favorite dish of theirs and we were stuffed by the end of the 2nd course. We lost track of time so we skipped dessert so we wouldn't be late to the show and they told us to come back after for it and we did since they had already charged us for it.

Overall it was a pretty excellent meal and I kind of forgot how much food they serve you, so if we go to eat here again we'll probably just do two courses since we were both stuffed even after the 2 1/2 hours the play lasted.

Red Hen is pretty great, MY GF lives in Bloomingdale so she's eaten there a few more times than me and says their pastas are extremely consistent.

We're doing Barmini next week. Has anyone gone? If so, any recommendations (everyone mentions the Veruka Salt)?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

30 Goddamned Dicks posted:

Chutzpah is awesome. My favorite Saturday lunch spot before going to the enormous Whole Foods in Fair Lakes for groceries.

I live across the street from the Whole Foods, and coming from a rural shithole it's still mindblowing to me. Except for the meat, the prices are about on par with Safeway too, which is nice. One thing I can't find though is an italian market. Does anyone know of any in the area, or am I out of luck unless I head east?

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

If you want to go to Arlington: http://www.italianstore.com/. I've only been there a few times and it's always packed. It's a combination deli/small market.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Wachepti posted:

If you want to go to Arlington: http://www.italianstore.com/

Would I be allowed to take anything I buy on the metro? I don't know if it's open food containers or no food at all.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
It's the metro, nobody really cares. But I believe the rule is open food containers. Really, just don't eat on the train like a loving slob and you'll be fine.

rumspringa57
May 7, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

I live across the street from the Whole Foods, and coming from a rural shithole it's still mindblowing to me. Except for the meat, the prices are about on par with Safeway too, which is nice. One thing I can't find though is an italian market. Does anyone know of any in the area, or am I out of luck unless I head east?

I like Vace in Cleveland park.
http://www.vaceitaliandeli.com/

It's a fairly small place and they can be a bit surly, but they have good stuff at fair prices. Strangely they put the sauce on top of the cheese with their pizza.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Muffinlord posted:

It's the metro, nobody really cares. But I believe the rule is open food containers. Really, just don't eat on the train like a loving slob and you'll be fine.

This. People drag groceries on the metro all the time- it's the eating and the spilling and the crumbs that are the problem.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
There's also a Vace in Bethesda.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Anyone know a good place to watch the Wimbledon? I'm thinking Nellie's. I really want to watch it in an environment with a lot of other people freaking out about it.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

30 Goddamned Dicks posted:

Gave it another go and finally had the reuben with house-made corned beef. Pretty damned good. Not as good as in NY but close.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
If I go to DC without hitting Dukem I feel cheated.

I've had a real hit and miss experience at Serendipity 3 in Georgetown. I had the ribs and some Frozen Hot Chocolate and it was awesome. I went back one night for the same thing and it was very mediocre. Yelp reviews tend towards the negative so I don't know what is up with this place.

All the Ray's places are fantastic. That barely needs to be said. Ray's the Steaks is my default location for catching up with old friends.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

I really wish my experience at Ray's was better. Our waiter was such a oval office and our steaks were so easily outdone at home I doubt I'll ever convince my wife to go back.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Does anyone know if the quality of the steaks at Rays to the Third is the same as Rays the Steaks? At RTTT, they combine basically all of their restaurant group's menus, and there's never any sort of wait, so I feel like it'd be much easier to just go there for a steak, and you can take friends who aren't in the mood for just steak (although then you miss out on the unlimited sides)

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007
My company gave me some free tickets to an upcoming Nats game but my wife and I haven't been into the city for a good while. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a restaurant to try near the stadium or nearby off the Metro.

Time Trial
Aug 5, 2004

A saucerful of cyanide

Sacred Cow posted:

My company gave me some free tickets to an upcoming Nats game but my wife and I haven't been into the city for a good while. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a restaurant to try near the stadium or nearby off the Metro.

I think you might be out of luck for restaurants by the stadium unless any of the couple new places that have opened are any good. The ballpark does have a Shake Shack and Ben's Chili Bowl though! The closest area with good restaurants is probably Eastern Market (I like Matchbox and Belga) which is then maybe 20 minutes walking to the park.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Sacred Cow posted:

As Time Trial says, there's a Shake Shack at Nats Park now, and the friterie a couple of concessions down is also very good. Also spotted a falafel stand there last week, and then there's also Five Guys, Bens, and some other options too.

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Highly trained by the US military at expedient semen processing.
What's a place close to BWI that is recommended. I'm going to be there for one night and would like to enjoy some awesome food.

notmandatory
May 18, 2006

HClChicken posted:

What's a place close to BWI that is recommended. I'm going to be there for one night and would like to enjoy some awesome food.

What sort of food do you like, and how much are you looking to spend? The food options right near BWI are pretty bad, mostly chains. G&M is very close, and many people love their crab cakes, but my one experience there was awful (tons of filler and green beans from a can). It's possible I was there on a bad day, or it may just be one of those places that people have been saying is great for so long, it doesn't actually have to be good anymore. Elkridge Furnace Inn is another well known place nearby, but it's never seemed exciting to me.

I'm assuming you won't have a car for one night, but you could hop on the light rail and take it into Baltimore. The Brewer's Art and Woodberry Kitchen are two good options less than a 5 minute walk from the light rail. I hear B&O Brasserie is good, as well, but haven't made it there myself. Avoid any restaurants in the Inner Harbor, but if you want to walk around a bit, there are a number of good restaurants just past it at Harbor East. Having thought about it as I typed this, this is what I would do. If it's nice out and you're up for a bit of a walk, walk through the Inner Harbor to Harbor East and get a meal at the bar at one of the restaurants there. Personally I would do Fleet Street Kitchen or Cinghiale, depending on my mood, or Charleston if I were feeling really spendy. Wit and Wisdom has seating right on the water, so that would be another good option on a nice day, but it gets mixed reviews (although my one meal there was good).

If it's too hot to walk (or you're just not interested in walking), stay on the light rail until the Woodberry stop. Within one block, there is Woodberry Kitchen on the higher end, and Artifact Coffee on the budget end. They have the same owner, so the quality of food is really the same, you're just looking at more sandwiches and salads at Artifact. I find that the small plates tend to outshine the entrees at Woodberry, so I usually make a meal out of a few of them. Their desserts tend to be amazing.

I'm happy to give more ideas if there are other cuisines/price ranges you're interested in, or if you will have access to a car and would rather head to, say, the Columbia/Ellicott City area.

Biosludge
Mar 17, 2008
Slightly off topic, but I'd love to hear everyone's favorite ethnic grocery stores in the area. I'm in Arlington, but can make the trip for something worthwhile. I'm familiar with H Mart, Glebe Market, and a couple others, but I'm looking for places with good bulk spices and great produce. The absolute insanity that is trader joes or wegmans on a weekend around here makes me cringe ...

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

There's the Bangkok 54 Asian grocery store on Colombia Pike. Pretty nice if you live in Arlington.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

It'd be a hike for you, but GrandMart on rt 7 in sterling sells a lot of veg at cost to get people in the door.

Fairfax and Loudoun folks - what's the best ramen around here? We've been watching David Chang eat a shitload of ramen lately and have a hankering. Plug - Mind of a Chef is good tv.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Biosludge posted:

Slightly off topic, but I'd love to hear everyone's favorite ethnic grocery stores in the area. I'm in Arlington, but can make the trip for something worthwhile. I'm familiar with H Mart, Glebe Market, and a couple others, but I'm looking for places with good bulk spices and great produce. The absolute insanity that is trader joes or wegmans on a weekend around here makes me cringe ...

I got a lot of dried goods and Indian spices at Ginger & Spice in Alexandria. There's a Lebanese place in Bailey's Crossroads (named Athena or something, it's got Greek Orthodox owners) that has good frozen and fresh stuff like cheeses and dough.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Oh, and I finally went to Red Hen in Bloomingdale. Love at first nom.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

the_chavi posted:

Oh, and I finally went to Red Hen in Bloomingdale. Love at first nom.

Yes! They ended up closing early yesterday since the power went out on that block.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chicago Death Rate
Jul 23, 2001

by Ralp
What do you all recommend for Korean BBQ that's closer more to Fredericksburg/Stafford?

• Locked thread