Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I'm staying at the Washington Marriott (1221 22nd Street NW) on Monday night. Can anyone recommend good eats in close walking distance that will be open for dinner on a Monday? Price is not a concern, if it is under $100 for 1 person no wine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Ris is very close by and lots of people rate it highly, although when we went I was unable to determine what all the fuss was about.

Founding Farmers is a few blocks away and would also be worth a visit.

Blue Duck Tavern and Rasika are also both very close to you.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Vidalia is supposed to be pretty good but I haven't been there.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Thanks. I'm going to try Blue Duck Tavern.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Blue Duck is awesome. Get the marrow.

Cbear
Mar 22, 2005
Recommendations for a lunch spot near the monuments and Smithsonian. Going on Saturday.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Cbear posted:

Recommendations for a lunch spot near the monuments and Smithsonian. Going on Saturday.

The cafe in the National Museum of the American Indian is not bad, even if they won't tell me where they source their frog and turtle from. Otherwise you're going to have to walk a bit north of the mall to around Metro Center or Gallery Place or Penn Quarter because it's pretty slim pickings.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Do food trucks run on the weekend? They sit roughly 100 yards from the back side of the Air & Space on normal days.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
But are the decent food trucks there or just the veteran halfsmoke ones that have been there for decades?

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

DC food trucks are more awesome than not. Unfortunately its too much of a crap shoot to say there is going to be something awesome there for you on the weekend.

Unfortunately the restaurants seem to be on the other side of the mall from where I work.

script kitty
Jan 2, 2005

GOTTA GO CATTES

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I live in Southern MD, so trips to DC are infrequent and usually for a special occasion. If you guys are ever in La Plata I highly recommend Casey Jones, and my wife and I just checked out the Blue Dog Saloon and it was also amazing. Not DC proper but I figure this is the closest thing so ther eyou go.

Casey Jones is pretty good, but I really like The Royal Tea Room in La Plata (much better than the Tea Room in Leonardtown). They serve Harney & Sons tea, which is alright tea, but it's one of the few tea places around. Their food is very good too. Creamed crab soup and crabcake salad is fantastic there. Same with their Monte Crisco sandwich.

Does anyone have experience with the Peregrine coffee shop in DC?

mystes
May 31, 2006

script kitty posted:

Yeah, Peregrine is good. It's one of the two or three real coffee places in DC.

script kitty
Jan 2, 2005

GOTTA GO CATTES
Thank you! Would you care to list the other coffee shops you think are worth visiting? Living in Southern Maryland, there isn't a single coffee shop that I've found to be much good.

mystes
May 31, 2006

script kitty posted:

Thank you! Would you care to list the other coffee shops you think are worth visiting? Living in Southern Maryland, there isn't a single coffee shop that I've found to be much good.
Filter and maybe Baked and Wired (I think the latter may be somewhat more variable in quality but it has more baked goods and a nice location next to the canal so I sometimes go to it). Unfortunately I haven't found anything good out toward Maryland or NoVa.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

mystes posted:

Yeah, Peregrine is good. It's one of the two or three real coffee places in DC.

Yes, I get coffee at their Union Market location most weekends when I go fetch breakfast. Their coffee is good. Big Bear Cafe is also decent.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

script kitty posted:

I am really fond of Qualia. I guess it's best if you are looking for the super fresh, small batch, in house roasted pour-over style or need some roasted-yesterday single origin beans. I can't say that I have ever had much espresso there that I didn't buy to dump on gelato, but what I tried was what you would expect from good beans used by reasonably competent people out of a semi-automatic La Marzocco machine.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Baked and Wired is good. It's in Georgetown and they also have some bomb rear end vegan cupcakes. Then there's Northside Social in Arlington which is pretty decent too. Also Peregrine won best coffeehouse on east coast last year: http://dcist.com/2013/03/peregrine_espresso_rules_the_roast.php

GoodluckJonathan fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Oct 30, 2013

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

script kitty posted:

Casey Jones is pretty good, but I really like The Royal Tea Room in La Plata (much better than the Tea Room in Leonardtown). They serve Harney & Sons tea, which is alright tea, but it's one of the few tea places around. Their food is very good too. Creamed crab soup and crabcake salad is fantastic there. Same with their Monte Crisco sandwich.

Holy crap! There are other goons in Southern MD? I haven't been to the Royal Tea Room myself, although my wife likes it.

Any other places you recommend? We've been to most of the places in the Waldorf/La Plata area. Also if you haven't been to the Blue Dog Saloon I would give it a shot.

Cbear
Mar 22, 2005
Best places to eat in Georgetown this Saturday?

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
For NoVA Coffee, in addition to Northside (which is a pretty mixed experience for me), there's also Oby Lee and Bayou Bakery. In Alexandria, I like to hit Missha's.

script kitty
Jan 2, 2005

GOTTA GO CATTES
I've been to Missha's. I loved it. It was the first coffee shop I have ever been to where they don't add sugar to your drinks by default. That was just amazing to me.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe
I really like Qualia- they're the only place I've found with consistently good, fresh roasted beans. I buy two bags from them every month and they're always roasted either the day before they arrive or two days before. I've only ever been to the actual shop once, so I can't speak to their in-house brewing methods.

v Yeah, that is one drawback- they are in the middle of nowhere

30 Goddamned Dicks fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Nov 1, 2013

mystes
May 31, 2006

Hmm, I want to try Qualia's beans but it's extremely out of the way for me and I'm not sure I want to deal with having them shipped either. Maybe I'll check it out on the weekend if the metro isn't too dysfunctional. It's too bad they don't have a downtown branch.

mystes fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Nov 1, 2013

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

mystes posted:

Hmm, I want to try Qualia's beans but it's extremely out of the way for me and I'm not sure I want to deal with having them shipped either. Maybe I'll check it out on the weekend if the metro isn't too dysfunctional. It's too bad they don't have a downtown branch.

I usually end up buying 5-6 pounds each week because I live a block away and accidentally got all of my coworkers hooked on them.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

It's my girlfriend and my 2 year anniversary on Saturday, so I'm treating her to The Inn at Little Washington. It's supposed to be the best drat restaurant in the area - anyone have any experience with it? Is it all hype or is it actually worth it?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
Went to Thally tonight, was very impressed with the food. Had a delightful rabbit something or other, and some great small plates to start. Beware with the wine by the glass though; both of the first two glasses I ordered tasted off (very strong after taste of liver, which is just bizarre) and they were different wines. Perhaps it's more of a beer restaurant.

Bohemienne
May 15, 2007
Finally went to Bluejacket/Arsenal last weekend and jesus christ I want to eat their whole kitchen. We immediately ordered tickets for their NYE dinner ($160 per) when they went on sale. Anyone else planning to attend? Because you should. Don't let the price tag deter you. It will be worth it.

Beef heart tartare - I'm a tartare junkie and was a little dubious about trying the heart, but it had a really nice lean taste to it that was also somehow a bit creamy.
Ribs - so tender and perfectly spiced with just a bit of sweet, holy god, do not miss out on these.

My wolf fish was freaking phenomenal, my dad's lamb neck cassoulet was unreal how soft it was, and I don't even think I got to try a bite of the boy's carbonara because it evaporated.

The beers were all exceptional as well. My personal favorites were the Ingenue (a lavender gose) and the Seersucker (a gorgeous, clean, just a bit sour berlinerweiss) but seriously, it was all amazing. The boy loved their collab with Stone Brewery as well.

Bohemienne fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Dec 8, 2013

a drink or two
Oct 21, 2008
Hi DC dining thread, I'm going to be in town next weekendish and am looking for some recommendations.

Specifically interested in American/regional/local food, either in terms of the dishes or the ingredients. Coming from London so various "ethnic" foods are not that interesting. Where should I go? cheap to mid range prices although I could go higher if it's really good - anyway would rather eat a really well done classic than the deconstructed version thereof at least on this occasion. Some quick looking around has got me Founding Fathers and Blue Duck Tavern.

Also, what's the best brunch in DC?

Bohemienne
May 15, 2007
I'm gonna recommend The Federalist (1777 15th St NW) to get both your awesome brunch and local table fix. Their brunch is like a big a farm table where you grab endless amounts of deliciousness such as white bean gazpacho shooters and deviled egg spoonfuls and fresh veggies and home fries and a ton of other tasties, all from area farms. Also, just about anything from the NRG family (but especially Birch & Barley, Rustico, and Bluejacket/Arsenal) is going to have loving amazing brunch, amazing dinner, and amazing fresh food, most of it from their own Arcadia farms. Ted's Bulletin is great for breakfast/brunch diner food (of the upscale variety) and Smith Commons is pretty delicious as well, though I think I prefer their dinner to their brunch.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

If you're looking to go a bit (albeit only a little bit and this is assuming you're staying in the more downtown area which most seem to) off the beaten path, Granville Moore's is good for a hearty dinner. Good food; good drinks.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

drgitlin posted:

The cafe in the National Museum of the American Indian is not bad, even if they won't tell me where they source their frog and turtle from. Otherwise you're going to have to walk a bit north of the mall to around Metro Center or Gallery Place or Penn Quarter because it's pretty slim pickings.

I know this is from forever ago but I used to work there and the turtle is from a family run farm in Louisiana. No idea on the frog- we didn't serve any when I was working there. For some reason a lot of people were sure we were importing the turtle from China. That is not the case. Everything there is from north or south america.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

a drink or two posted:

Hi DC dining thread, I'm going to be in town next weekendish and am looking for some recommendations.

Specifically interested in American/regional/local food, either in terms of the dishes or the ingredients. Coming from London so various "ethnic" foods are not that interesting. Where should I go? cheap to mid range prices although I could go higher if it's really good - anyway would rather eat a really well done classic than the deconstructed version thereof at least on this occasion. Some quick looking around has got me Founding Fathers and Blue Duck Tavern.

Founding :eng101: Farmers :eng101:, not Fathers. Just in case you get lost trying to find it.

If you can't get in at Founding Farmers, there's Fishers Farmers and Bakers which is on the Georgetown Waterfront and tremendously similar.

I'm a fan of the brunch at Busboys and Poets, but I may be alone in that.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

a drink or two posted:

You should definitely go to Oyamel; you won't get anything like it in London. Their brunch is great but then I say that because it isn't just 34 variations on eggs and cheese on a plate. Acadiana does interesting cajun food. I'd say go to DCity Smokehouse and get some truly excellent bbq but it's not really that tourist-friendly. Le Diplomate does a great brunch but it can be hard to get a table.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Wroughtirony posted:

I know this is from forever ago but I used to work there and the turtle is from a family run farm in Louisiana. No idea on the frog- we didn't serve any when I was working there. For some reason a lot of people were sure we were importing the turtle from China. That is not the case. Everything there is from north or south america.

Thank you! I tried emailing the museum but they never replied.

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008
Can anyone recommend a good restaurant in National Harbor, MD? I'm gonna be in the area tomorrow.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
Nandos? My in-laws were staying there over Christmas it looked like everything was chains.

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008
Yeah I tried looking around on Yelp and couldn't find anything. Might end up having to stop in Old Town on the way home, then.

Angrykraut
Jul 23, 2004

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Holy crap! There are other goons in Southern MD? I haven't been to the Royal Tea Room myself, although my wife likes it.

Any other places you recommend? We've been to most of the places in the Waldorf/La Plata area. Also if you haven't been to the Blue Dog Saloon I would give it a shot.

I was really surprised to see SoMD goons. I third both the blue dog and casey jones/the crossing. My understanding is the chef at Blue Dog came from Casey Jones. I went to Blue Dog a few months back and had snakehead fish, which really surprised me.

I enjoy the Port Tobacco Marina restaurant. It's a crab house atmosphere, but I think the food is a cut above. I also like Ouzo's and the Prime Street Grill.

Anyone heard anything about the new place that opened behind Colonial Liquors/the Roy Rogers, where the Town Mouse used to be.

script kitty
Jan 2, 2005

GOTTA GO CATTES

Angrykraut posted:

Anyone heard anything about the new place that opened behind Colonial Liquors/the Roy Rogers, where the Town Mouse used to be.

No, what's this new place called? That's just a few minutes away. I'm going to be in National Harbor today for Magfest. Hope to find something good to eat in that area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

script kitty posted:

No, what's this new place called? That's just a few minutes away. I'm going to be in National Harbor today for Magfest. Hope to find something good to eat in that area.

I was there for lunch a few weeks ago. It's like a bistro with a bar. Food was great, at least for lunch. I would go again.

For the life of me I can't remember the name.

• Locked thread