Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Asbestos posted:

Just ate at Kabob Palace in Arlington VA.

Kabob Palace is pretty great. I like that there are basically 2 storefronts - one for most of us, one for taxi drivers. The number of drivers who go there certainly speaks to something, though (price and deliciousness).

I don't currently have a ton to add to the discussion, but I eat out way too much. Mad Fox brewpub out in Falls Church is waybetter than it ought to be, and I've been salivating for it pretty hard recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

rumspringa57 posted:

I'm going to have to disagree strongly withe the Lauriol recommendation. Supremely douchy and loud environment, mediocre boring bland tex/mex style food that's passable at best, and the worst margarita I've ever had. And the 'rita was ~$15 for a nasty sour mix concoction with hardly any tequila in it :barf:.

As for pizza it took me a while but Pete's Apizza is pretty good and it's the best I've had in the area.

I love Pete's so much.

For Tex-Mex, my favorite spot is unfortunately located in Del Ray, just south of Pentagon City and north of Braddock Rd. http://www.lostiosgrill.com

The little thing of hot sauce they give you is very serious.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Oakland Martini posted:

Anything fast but good for lunch near the Board of Governors? I'm giving a talk there on Friday and I've got plans all day and night. I'm leaving on Saturday but my flight isn't until 2:45 so I have time for lunch on the way out. Food trucks or something along those lines would be great.

For what it's worth, http://foodtruckfiesta.com/ is pretty good for DC area food trucks.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

jbeeney posted:

Where's a good place to go that's near the Verizon Center? As long as it has pizza and/or burgers, my husband will be content. Just trying to find something that's kind of quick before the Caps game on Thursday night since we're taking the metro from Greenbelt and the possible snowstorm screwing everything up.

The first thing that comes to mind is RFD. Caveat - it kind of sucks. If you order the right things (beer, burger/bison burger, fish + chips), it's passable. Avoid most of the appetizers (very obviously fried frozen stuff) or anything adventurous. http://www.lovethebeer.com/rfd.html

Alternatively, I want to check out Hill Country, but I haven't yet http://www.hillcountrywdc.com/locations.dc

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

mich posted:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/02/what-to-eat-at-eden-center-falls-church-vietnamese-food.html

Fairly solid list, though don't know if the pho listed is good, I almost always go to Pho 75 so don't know how Eden Center pho is.

Thanks for that list. For Pho specifically in Eden center, I'd go a block east and hit up Mr. Pho. Realistically, you aren't going to find a ton of variation, though. And speaking of Pho, I recently went to Nam Viet (Clearendon) and Minh's (Courthouse) in the same weekend. Minh's was easily better Pho, but I do like Nam Viet for other stuff. Nam Viet also has the benefit of being next to Leonora bakery, and I loving love bread.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
Has anyone been to the Green Pig in Clarendon yet? It's on the list of places I'm considering next time I can afford a nice meal, and it's a lot closer than Virtue (though I'm also long overdue for a trip to Vermilion)

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

The Muffinlord posted:

I don't really know if this is the place for this, but I work at National Airport and I can say, without a doubt, the fries at the DCA Bistro are the best I've ever had in my life
Oh really? Anyone else agree/disagree? I love fries and I want to try these. My current favorite are probably Lyon Hall's fries in Clarendon. IIRC they're made w/ duck fat, but even when I get them to go I can smell the rosemary for the whole walk home.

I'm also interested in fried pickles or onion rings. For pickles, I'd go to the Mad Fox in Falls Church (for everything, food + beer, but always get frickles)

vxk5004 posted:

I was there last month, I liked it too. Had the braised cheek, meatballs, fried oysters, and the bbq pig tails, which really surprised me. They were delicious!

I saw a few places mentioned in Alexandria, anyone know of any others? I'm spending a few days near Ft. Belvoir next week.
I've been going to Vermillion for years, Ichiban Sushi was always good to me, Morrison Grille if you want to drop some extra $$ and enjoy yourself, Bistrot Lafayette did nice the one time I went there, Eamonn's is really solid fish & chips, the original Hard Times Cafe is there, Taverna Cretekou for Greek, and I'm chomping at the bit to get to Virtue Feed & Grain. Also, plenty of good bars (Pizzeria Paradiso for beer). That's really only off the top of my head.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

RBA Starblade posted:

Either works for me, I just wanted to know what was around the area. I'll give Cafe Mozart a shot later though, thanks!

It's a good spot for food trucks! http://foodtruckfiesta.com/

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Asbestos posted:

Does anyone know a decent vegetarian or Indian place near Dulles, or not too far off route between Dulles, and I-270? The quality needn't be much better than noodles and co, or that sort of thing, but it should be palatable to the Indian palate, so to speak.

I'm a big fan of http://www.paradiseindiancuisine.com/index_pc.html off the toll road in Herndon, and I wish there was something as good near me in Arlington. They have meat and veg dishes; the Navratan Korma is my favorite.

There's also a http://www.paradisebiryanipointe.com/menu.php on the other side of the toll road, but it's not nearly as good imo. I'm not a big fan of http://www.minervacuisine.com/ despite hearing some good stuff about it. Finally there's http://www.supperclubofindia.com/ which I haven't tried, but has good reviews.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

FairGame posted:

A little late with this, but if anyone wants a good vegan-friendly bar, Galaxy Hut in Courthouse/Clarendon is amazing. Only place I've ever been that makes a better vegan cheesesteak than I can. Also they have tables where you can play Pac-Man.

I love Galaxy Hut. They recently added a fair bit of non-vegan stuff, too, and doubled the number of taps. Also: eggplant fries. One of these days I'll make it to Spacebar (same owners, Falls Church) for the expanded grilled cheese selection, but it's so close to Mad Fox and so far from a metro stop.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

TheLizard posted:

We left DC last Friday to move to Raleigh, and our last meal was at Growlers (which was where Hochi and I first met, thanks to this board). I'm going to miss DC's incredible diversity but not so much the traffic and overpopulation. I met a fair number of you guys in person, and I hope you come visit us in Raleigh, which has a totally bitching food scene.

I came here from Raleigh in 2005, but still go see family/friends often. Enjoy the BBQ! (personal rec: http://www.oletimebarbecue.com/ on Hilsborough or Snoopy's/Cookout if it's for a hangover) The food and beer scene there in general has blown up big time since I left.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
For NoVA Coffee, in addition to Northside (which is a pretty mixed experience for me), there's also Oby Lee and Bayou Bakery. In Alexandria, I like to hit Missha's.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I don't do Old town like I used to but: Vermilion, Bistrot Lafayette, Sushi Ichiban, Bilbo Baggins

I've never made it to Brabo but I'd like to. Virtue didn't really live up to my expectations (which were basically the Green Pig). I'll stop in Pizzeria Paradiso for beer but not so much for food. The Grille At Morrison House is quite nice for your $$$$, Quattro Formaggi is greasy as gently caress pizza in the best way, and there are a number of good coffee shops and/or delis.

Also, just on the north side of Washington Pkwy for Old Town is the newest location of Haute Dogs. I'm somewhat addicted to this place partially for the price. TJ Stone's next door is also a decent sports pub with really cheap happy hour food.

e: gently caress, forgot Caphe Bahn Mi. It's the only legit bahn mi I've found, and their Pho is on par with Minh's if not better.

ChickenArise fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jan 8, 2014

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

bunnielab posted:

Hey, you guys have a decent bbq place from what I remember.

I'm interested in this. I end up in Waldorf once or twice a year and I wouldn't mind coming back with more than cheap booze. I think I saw a tempting Texas BBQ place once?

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Tweek posted:

While we're on the subject, have you tried their Smoked Old Fashioned? They set a God-damned plank of ceder on fire and invert your glass over it, getting all that smoky goodness up inside there. Then they add Old Overholt Rye, Fee Brother’s Old Fashioned Bitters, and simple syrup.

I think I need this. Why must the place be so far from everywhere else I normally go (alternatively, perfectly placed to drop by Meridian Pint and double-up on being a lush).

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
Yeah, avoid the fries. The dog collars are better, but still overcooked and disappointing (but I order and eat them anyway). I've ordered a lot from both Arlington locations and I've been to the Dunn Loring location. North Arlington is the best. I found South Arlington to have a lot of variation in the sandwiches. I'm not too big on the pizza from any of them as I find that it often doesn't travel well or is undercooked. Delivery guys are frequently hilariously high. Salads are good, shakes are good. If you're getting sandwiches, I highly recommend the Irish Gyro, the El Bandido, and the Pound Hound. The new bark-scetta or whatever is sort of a horrifying delicious creation also. Recently I've also discovered that I can just order a few custom fancy grilled cheeses and a bowl of tomato soup, also, which is an amazing delivery option.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I keep trying BBQ places in NoVA without much success. I'm generally looking for Eastern NC style, though. Rocklands does a number of things fairly well, and has good sides. Some people hate their cole slaw; I think it has fennel in it. Willard's is great and I never go because of the location. Slightly closer is Boss Hog BBQ in McLean near Total Wine. It's a really basic sort of storefront/interior (not kitschy that I recall), and the BBQ pork was a little dry. They made up for it with the quality and variety of sauces, though. They had BBQ sauces based with vinegar, tomato, mustard, or mayo, and I think maybe a few more.

I did not like the pork sandwich that I got from the Urban Bumpkin food truck.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

pr0k posted:

I think so. I googled a good bit and can't find anything other than Warrenton. Pity, really. Best carolina-style in the area bar none.

This is so sad. It's like I'm better off just going to visit family friends ~4hrs away in NC. Next time I guess I should get a big bucket to-go and bring a cooler.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
http://www.doener-usa.com/location-adams-morgan.html imo

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Walked posted:

NoMA puts you close to Union Market (not the best dining, but pretty cool and casual and cornhole and also the pop up movie theater).
It's also not far off H St, and the french place there Le Grenier is pretty awesome IMO.

Boundary Rd is on the close side of H St and I really liked it when I went. I think it'd be a very nice date spot.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

kedo posted:

Kushi is also only about four or five blocks from Union Station if you're in the mood for sushi.

I'd second Boundary Road as I was just there recently. The food was fine (didn't blow me away or anything, but was very solidly prepared) and the service was quite nice.

I wouldn't go there for a date, but the food court at Union Station (Kabuki) has really good, cheap sushi.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

HiroProtagonist posted:

Anyone (everyone) have a good brunch place in Arlington? I have a brunch date tomorrow and I just realized I'm clueless about brunch places outside the District.

Kinda late on this, but Lyon Hall, Liberty Tavern, Green Pig, or Eatbar would be my top choices, but Bayou is also great and I do like Ragtime's brunch. Lyon Hall and Eatbar are my favorites.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I like Thai Tada, but I might prefer Chao Phra Ya on the other side of the toll road in the Clocktower shopping center. Drunken Noodle Duck there is so good that I can rarely get anything else.

e: gently caress I love Eatbar. :( :( :(

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Wroughtirony posted:

Where should I eat in Crystal City?

Kabob Palace, Jaleo, La Betolla, or one of the Ethiopian places

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Wroughtirony posted:

Other than Jaleo- (we've been before) would any of those be appropriate for a long sit-down business dinner? I've heard awesome things about kabob palace but I'm not sure of the ambience.

I'd probably avoid Kabob Palace for that, but it's not especially ugly/tacky vs. everywhere else I eat. I haven't been inside La Bettola in ages since I discovered that I can get it delivered, but it's gone through a few rounds of nice <-> cheesy decor. Ethiopian could probably pass for nice enough, but I'm not sure I'd do that in work clothes.

SOCCi might be worth looking at: http://www.marriott.com/hotel-restaurants/waspy-renaissance-arlington-capital-view-hotel/socci/5178631/home-page.mi but I haven't been yet. Yelp seems to rate it passably.

Depending on what sort of business you could always take the default rec of CCR. :getin:

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
That's more like it :toot:

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I think Northside Social in Arlington requires you to sit behind a Macbook if you want to sit somewhere. Oby Lee is pretty good coffee nearby, also, but it's more of a normal cafe than hipster central. I'm also a fan of Misha's in Old Town Alexandria, and there's plenty of cool stuff down there within walking distance if you want to spend some time in a nice pedestrian area.

H St. NE (Atlas District) is also fairly hipster-heavy.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Veritek83 posted:

In the city proper? I dunno about buffets, but the Zengo brunch is unlimited small plates, which has saved my hungover self before weekend afternoon Caps games more than once.

OK, I need to do this next time I can drop that sort of money on brunch. That's awesome.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

El Miguel posted:

Great food - but my wife had her credit card number stolen there, FYI.

Good to know- I've been twice a few years ago and felt that it was a little overpriced but delicious. AKA typical price for DC. I wonder if any of the times I had my CC stolen was from Zengo; it happened a few times in the span of a year.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I finally went to Sushi Taro happy hour yesterday.

Wow, that was really good. Uni black truffle ice cream is a bit strange.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

CronoGamer posted:

Went there for the lunch special a few months back. It was good, but I wouldn't make it a regular visit. What was special about their happy hour?

1/2 price on most sushi, some of the rolls, and most drinks. Downside: you need to line up before they open, probably 15-30 mins, if you want to get a seat for happy hour.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

DARPA Dad posted:

Correct. This Wiseguys only has one location

Soon to be 2! :choco:

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
Any metro stop preferences? Price range? Culinary preference? I'm a big fan of Liberty Tavern and Lyon Hall and both should have veggie options, but you could probably find a more 'romantic' place rather than just a good date place.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I'm a huge fan of Belga Cafe and need to get back sooner rather than later. Out west you also have Rustico and the recently-opened Kapnos Taverna.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

kedo posted:

I had a Ben's open up near me recently (Rosslyn). I pop over now and then for lunch which is nice, but it's still better drunk food than anything. The main reason to go there is to watch the servers heckle all the office workers with the same bad jokes over and over again.

How's that one compare to U St.? I have a few friends from out of town who always want to go when they're around, and Rosslyn is way easier for me to get to.

SUBFRIES posted:

Been a few years, but Belga Cafe is a block away.

I haven't been here in so long and I miss it (and the old prices pre-Top Chef). Augh now I'm hungry.

kedo posted:

Sushi Taro has slightly better food in my opinion, but it's more than twice as expensive and the ambience is totally different.

But totally worth lining up before opening for happy hour imo.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

SUBFRIES posted:

Anyone here have some recommendations for Boston? And no, I did not misspell Balston.

Tried looking for a Boston dining thread, no luck, but figured I'd ask in case anyone here has any tips from travel / visits / living up there.

Interest in beer? http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3470054&pagenumber=1010&perpage=40#post446283917

Trillium is amazing imo, but teeny tiny. For food I really like the Public House, and also check out Craigie on Main. If you want ramen, try http://www.yumewokatare.com/

There's tons more. It's a cool city with excellent food and drink.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I'm really easy to please when it comes to burgers. Ray's isn't what it used to be but it's still good. Burger Tap Shake has a few good ones, too. I'd eat any of the above though (just not often)

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
Cherrydale/Arlington BGR has been fine in my experience, but I usually get the lamb thing.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

kedo posted:

I've said it before (in the non-food DC thread) and I'll say it again, the best burger I've had in DC is the bacon cheeseburger from the Green Pig.

Don't remind me; I want it so bad.

Citizen Burger Bar seemed good too, but they failed miserably on the buns and I care about buns. I'll go back, though. They have shishitos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
aLso not on a Metro, but in Del Rey: http://www.letsmeatontheavenue.com/

I haven't been in a while so I can't speak to selection, but I don't remember it being cheap.

• Locked thread