Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Wroughtirony posted:

Restaurant week is coming up...

I have no idea where I'm going to eat yet. You guys?

I've got reservations for Mintwood Place and Filomena. I've heard Filomena is pretty solid upscale Italian, and I've heard a ton of rave reviews about Mintwood from a bunch of DC food blogs. Has anyone been?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

drgitlin posted:

We went to Graffiato on Monday for the Gems tasting menu as it was my birthday. A couple of the dishes were so-so IMO, but overall it was pretty great. I think my highlight was the scallop abductor.

Menu:

God damned Isabella took the Chicken Thighs off the menu :argh:

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Time Trial posted:

Anyone have any nice desert destinations in the area? I always feel a lack of non-cupcakery/froyo options when wanting to go out just for desert.

Also, I highly recommend Feugo Cocina y Tequileria in Clarendon, fairly new, good Margaritas, truly delicious mussels and tacos.

Depending on your definition of "In the Area", Dangerously Delicious Pies has some pretty tasty Pies, but it's on H Street Northeast.

Last night, I went to Mintwood Place for restaurant week. Somehow, it EXCEEDED all of the hype. It was amazing.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Kase Im Licht posted:

Random question about Thai X-ing for anyone who's been there a few times. Do they ever, possibly by request, mix up the food options? The three times I've been there it's been the same selection of courses. They're good, but it'd be nice to see something new.

Though it's been a long rear end time since I've been there, I agree with Lauriol being overrated. I've been pretty happy with Taquerio el Distrito Federal in Columbia Heights. Cheap, good, sometimes they give me free food. Heard good things about Feugo Cocina so I'll probably hit that up soon. Always on the lookout for good Mexican.

And I just have to get this off my chest. Does anyone else agree that Ben's Chili Bowl is terrible? Just absolute trash. Some sort of pigeon meat hot dogs covered in rat feces chili from the leftovers that failed inspection at some coldwar era Chinese factory.

I've been there once, last summer at some point, and the menu was this:

Chicken laarb
Papaya salad (spicy, somehow!)
Cucumber soup with tuna
Stir fried eggplant
Curried pumpkin
Massaman beef
Pad see iw
Sticky Rice with Mango

Was this what you've encountered?

As for Ben's, as it's been said, it's drunk food. I've taken friends from out of town there because they've heard so much about it, and their response is always "...OK. That's a decent hot dog." But when I go at 2 AM drunk off my rear end, it's pure bliss. My girlfriend swears that the veggie chili is better - it actually has substance to it, as opposed to brown water with a little ground beef.

SgtScruffy fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Feb 18, 2013

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Does anyone know if the quality of the steaks at Rays to the Third is the same as Rays the Steaks? At RTTT, they combine basically all of their restaurant group's menus, and there's never any sort of wait, so I feel like it'd be much easier to just go there for a steak, and you can take friends who aren't in the mood for just steak (although then you miss out on the unlimited sides)

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

It's my girlfriend and my 2 year anniversary on Saturday, so I'm treating her to The Inn at Little Washington. It's supposed to be the best drat restaurant in the area - anyone have any experience with it? Is it all hype or is it actually worth it?

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Has anyone else been to Iron Gate since it reopened late last year? My girlfriend and I went last night and got their tasting menu, and holy poo poo - the whole experience was amazing, and they served a bone-in massive porkchop for two that may be without hyperbole the best tasting thing I've ever eaten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

I went to Baby Wale last night and had the steak - it was really really good. It's apparently the same steak served at Courdoroy, of which Baby Wale is the less-fancy sister restaurant of. Super flavorful. The spring rolls were OK - the main draw behind them is that they were huge (like, 8 inches long each) and had a really good sauce, but I wouldn't say they were anything super crazy to go out of your way for. Also they made a drat good sazerac.

• Locked thread