Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.

'bout time a game in this genre showed up somewhere other than a console or handheld.

Here's the launch trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot7uXNQskhs

Soundtrack available here for $4.99 https://www.humblebundle.com/widget/v2/product/stardew_valley_ost/7jlew7UWdF

Stardew Valley now available on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/413150 :siren:

What is it?

If you have played any Harvest Moon game for the SNES or GBA, chances are Stardew Valley looks immediately identifiable. You end up in ownership of a farm and it's up to you to make something of it while accomplishing various other goals.

So it's Farmville.

:( No, Farmville is a microtransaction click timewaster. In Harvest Moon-style games, you have a certain amount of time each in-game day to devote to whatever you want to do. These activities include:

quote:

Turn your overgrown field into a lively farm! Gather resources and use them to build a variety of farm buildings. You'll have plenty of space to set up your farm just how you like.

Improve your skills over time. As you make your way from a struggling peasant to a master farmer, you'll level up and earn skill points to distribute in 6 different areas: farming, mining, adventuring, fishing, foraging, and luck. As you progress, you'll learn new cooking and crafting recipes, and unlock new areas to explore.

Become part of the local community. With over 30 unique characters living in Stardew Valley, you won't have a problem finding new friends! Each person has their own daily schedule, unique mini-cutscenes, and new things to say throughout the week and year. As you make friends with them, they will open up to you, ask you for help with their personal troubles, or tell you their secrets!

Explore a vast, mysterious cave. Your progress in the cave is saved, so you don't have to worry about making it to the bottom in one day. As you dig deeper and deeper, you'll encounter new and dangerous monsters, different environments, valuable gemstones, raw materials for crafting and upgrading tools, and mysteries to be uncovered.

Court and marry a partner to share your life on the farm with. There are 10 available bachelors and bachelorettes to woo. Date around for a while to get to know your options before you decide on a special someone. Follow your heart and pick any of the 10 eligibles. Your spouse will live on the farm with you and even help you out with chores. [*:ssh: In Stardew Valley you can even marry a boy if you're a boy, or a girl if you're a girl. Stardew doesn't discriminate, unlike some other games named after celestial bodies.]

Spend a relaxing afternoon at one of the local fishing spots. The waters are teeming with seasonal varieties of delicious fish. Craft bobbers to help you in your journey to catch every fish and become a local fishing legend!

Contribute to the field of archaeology. Dig around for ancient artifacts and bring them to the local archaeology office. Turn them in for money, resources, items, or even to expand the town library. Strive to discover every artifact!

Cook delicious meals and craft useful items to help you out. With over 100 cooking and crafting recipes, you'll have a wide variety of items to create. Some dishes you cook will even give you temporary boosts to skills, running speed, or combat prowess. Craft useful objects like scarecrows, oil makers, furnaces, or even the rare and expensive crystalarium.

Customize the appearance of your character and house. Play as a boy or girl and choose from a variety of skin, hair, eye, and clothes colors. The local shop has new wallpaper and floor styles avaible every day. Craft a wide variety of decorative items to furnish your house. As you upgrade your house you'll have more room to decorate!

Compete to become the next Stardew Hero. You'll have two years on the farm to prove your abilities... if you do well enough, you might even beat out the competition to win the coveted title of Stardew Hero! [* This doesn't mean the game ends after 2 years. Just you're judged on how well you've done after 2 years, at which point you can keep playing regardless.]

Over an hour of original music. Each season has 3 unique themes, and as your progress in the mine you'll discover new tunes waiting around the corner. Once you've heard a song, you can play it whenever you like from the jukebox in Gus' Saloon.

So what does it look like?

Stardew Valley Soundtrack Examples - 15 minutes of in-game music
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUalhmz12nc

More videos can be found on the channel here, but they may be significantly outdated.
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheAmazingApes/videos

Images

Gifting Guide

Met posted:

I got tired of bouncing around the wiki.

:frogsiren: Villager Gifting Guide

I didn't include each and every single thing villagers dislike. It's only included on the list as a dislike if it conflicts with a universal love/like.

Mods

quote:

Cantorsdust wrote on Mar 1, 2016 13:15:
Could you toss in a link to the Stardew Valley Mods forum and the general modding thread with master list of tools and mods?

Jesto fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Mar 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asciana
Jun 16, 2008
The new interface system he's added in looks much better to use and the forest nuking looks oh so satisfying. Reading some of the Greenlight comments makes me want to murder people with the amount of folk claiming its basically ripped everything from Minecraft/Terraria.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind

Jesto fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Jul 14, 2017

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
These games aren't normally my cup of tea, but my girlfriend is all over this stuff. As long as co-op is a thing then we'll probably both be getting it. Gave it a vote on Greenlight regardless since it's obvious the guy is putting a lot of effort in to this.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

I'd like a game like this is if I could have children or a child and have them take over the farm when I die and the whole thing starts over again. Or, perhaps more accurately, everything ages and slowly changes over time. Townspeople have children, grow old, and die, their children take their place. And so on.

Asciana
Jun 16, 2008
Dont the Rune Factory games kinda do this, at least once?

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Asciana posted:

Dont the Rune Factory games kinda do this, at least once?

Unfortunately I have zero experience with this type of game, but would certainly look into it if one did do what I described above! :)

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Ray and Shirley posted:

I'd like a game like this is if I could have children or a child and have them take over the farm when I die and the whole thing starts over again. Or, perhaps more accurately, everything ages and slowly changes over time. Townspeople have children, grow old, and die, their children take their place. And so on.

This is the sims 3 with a gardener sim.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind

Jesto fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Jul 14, 2017

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

Thou bootless clapper-clawed varlot!
I always wanted to play Animal Crossing, but it's not available for pc. I bought Scribblenauts when it came out for pc, finally we get some of this console-y goodness direct to Steam. I'll probably buy this the day it comes out.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

quote:

Tiy ‏@Tiyuri
@ConcernedApe Hey Eric, I sent you an email :) I'd love to have a chat with you some time

Tiyrui of Starbound fame seems interested in Stardew Valley. I recall a recent Q&A with Tiyuri where he said he said he wanted to make a Harvest Moon / Rune Factory type game next.

Tiyuri posted:

We’ve not really discussed a next project yet but I’ve wanted to do a multiplayer harvest moon/rune factory style game for a while.

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

Oh god, it's so beautiful. My dreams of the simple days of Harvest Moon might be coming back.

Ray and Shirley posted:

I've always wanted this in a HM game (a farmsim one, not some bullshit rpg dungeon crawler one), but it's certainly not a dealbreaker to the glory of the original few titles (SNES & PSX, the second GCN one).

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
Oh god, I want to play this now. Got my vote. I've always wanted a good Harvest Moon type game on PC, and if they even are thinking about coop... oh god

Monowhatever
Mar 19, 2010

Happy to see a thread for this pop up I voted for it as soon as I saw it pop up on green light. Can't wait for it to be released

Arbor Day
Jun 24, 2004

vrooom vrooom crash
This looks great. Thanks for posting this, I'd have missed it otherwise. I'm totally gonna keep an eye on this.

Spills the Moon
Aug 20, 2008
My feelings about this were pretty tepid initially, but now I'm legitimately excited. It takes a lot to actually get me to want a game on PC. Congrats OP! It's all thanks to your excellent write/hype-up!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Looks interesting, but I hope the combat sections are optional, or at least not a major focus. I never much liked it when Harvest Moon stopped being about farming and was more about things that weren't farming.

I just want to grow peas, carrots, and potatoes. :unsmith:

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Looks nice. But I'm assuming this isn't multiplayer?

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
Can't help but wonder if Tiy wants to help them get published on Steam, like they did for Yeti Trunk & Wanderlust. Then maybe they can collaborate on a sequel. :allears:

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Co-op Harvest Moon... will we be able to tag-team the men/women in town?

Also I love Harvest Moon and Rune Factory style games so this is good news. The art could do some improvement, though.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

I adore harvest moon, but when it switched to the less than memorable PS2 games and became an anime slugfest with rune factory on the DS I lost interest.

I really do wish that combat wasn't a necessity in the newer HM games now though.

That said, I will most likely buy this the second it comes out despite my reservations.

Grimdaddy
Dec 1, 2003

The question isn't indiscreet. But the answer could be.
This looks great, voted it up on Greenlight. I have always tried to like this sort of game, but the limitations and opacity always put me off - but this one looks to be less obtuse.
The wife loves Rune Factory, so she will surely love this one. Thanks for bringing our attention to it!

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

I kind of wish that the Rune Factory aspects of the game were cut out just because it seems like a lot of work to make combat in these games not an atrocious chore, not to mention the work required to add diversity in the form of combat items/monsters that could have been used to improve other aspects of the game.

I'll still be getting it though because Natsume has really dropped the ball on making good harvest moon games and maybe this will be better.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Another game I really want to play right now but isn't out yet :suicide:

Voted for it, I've always wanted one of these for PC.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Moridin920 posted:

Another game I really want to play right now but isn't out yet :suicide:

Voted for it, I've always wanted one of these for PC.

This is the most terrible trend. SO many games I want to play that aren't out yet. including this awesome looking thing.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Reason posted:

This is the most terrible trend. SO many games I want to play that aren't out yet. including this awesome looking thing.

Hopefully this will get some more attention on Greenlight and ConcernedApe will be inspired to create like the wind. It's incredibly impressive what he's done just as a single dude.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind

Jesto fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Jul 14, 2017

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
I like that he's doing both the farming and combat elements but making them seemingly entirely optional. So if all you want to do is farm and raise animals you can do that. If you want to focus more on the dungeons and combat, it seems like you can do that too. It'd be neat for him to implement some unlockable in-game cheat modes too though for people who just wanna go all out and have fun in multiple replays. Things like infinite stamina, time freeze, etc. I'm sure these are things that could be done with cheat engine but I always appreciate games that build them into the game itself as unlockables. Oddly enough, I'm more inclined to replay games with features like this, especially console games.

edit: I'm gonna be honest and say I probably won't give him that suggestion so if anyone else is making their own suggestion and agree with what I'm saying, feel free to add it to your posts. :v:

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Now I'm imagining digital love triangles as two players pursue the same villager.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I have been mega stoked for this since the day I found it waaaaaay back when greenlight started. I hear it's getting pretty close to breaking into the greenlight top 100?

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I'll have to keep an eye on this one. I hope it does things differently from Harvest Moon. While it's a great series, HM has these weird things that it always holds on to that holds it back.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Jesto posted:

For anyone wondering if Stardew Valley would be getting co-op or not, the answer is officially yes. :dance:

Co-op gameplay teaser!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJggZec6qqo

Oh My God.:dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Stardew Valley just got a little writeup on IndieGames http://indiegames.com/2013/02/multiplayer_farming_rpg_starde.html