Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Adding in a museum is genius. Scratching some of that Animal Crossing itch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind

Jesto fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Jul 14, 2017

Refried Noodle
Feb 23, 2012

Oh god it's like someone took everything good about Harvest Moon and made it into a new game. He should make a kickstarter or something, he deserves my money more than I do.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Refried Noodle posted:

Oh god it's like someone took everything good about Harvest Moon and made it into a new game. He should make a kickstarter or something, he deserves my money more than I do.
He could but he kind of doesn't really need to at this point, he's already got Greenlit on Steam so it is definitely coming out on there when it's done.

A Kickstarter would probably let him work full time on it if he isn't already, but sometimes it's gotta be nice to not have to deal with the demands of a huge Kickstarter base if you don't really need the seed money to finish your game. And it's also true that generally game development grinds to an absolute halt during a Kickstarter because you often need to devote a lot of time to answering questions and dealing with getting the word out and all that other poo poo.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
For some reason I haven't seen Feburary's Stardew Valley trailer. I want this. I need this.

I'm gonna pick this up for a few buddies.

Refried Noodle
Feb 23, 2012

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

He could but he kind of doesn't really need to at this point, he's already got Greenlit on Steam so it is definitely coming out on there when it's done.

A Kickstarter would probably let him work full time on it if he isn't already, but sometimes it's gotta be nice to not have to deal with the demands of a huge Kickstarter base if you don't really need the seed money to finish your game. And it's also true that generally game development grinds to an absolute halt during a Kickstarter because you often need to devote a lot of time to answering questions and dealing with getting the word out and all that other poo poo.

This is all true but I'm really just looking for a reason to throw money at this project. They don't have a donations page or anything.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Another new dev update!

http://stardewvalley.net/mini-dev-update-7/

Flowers :allears:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Sunflowers! Now I can feed my horrible addiction to their seeds in games too! :haw:

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Is there any info on when this game is coming out? I really want to play it so bad :(

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind

Monowhatever
Mar 19, 2010

Every update makes this game look better and better. I cant wait to play I got a need to grow some e-corn.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

It's looking good.

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
They were all out of Marquess.

quote:

More Info

Some animals (e.g. Dairy Cows) are intended to be kept only for their milk/wool/etc, some (e.g. Hogs) only for their meat, and some (e.g. Chickens) for both!

You can “inspect” animals to see info about their mood, hunger, affection towards you, etc.

Keep your animal happy (and maximize production) like so:

Pet once a day
Make sure she has enough food
Let her outside if the weather is warm
Make sure she is secure at night
Purchase a heater to counteract the unhappiness of being inside all winter

Happy animals produce more valuable products!

Pretty standard Harvest Moon stuff, though I don't think any of them allowed you to raise livestock for meat.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

I hope there are Monkeys inside those stone eggs.

Honestly though I just read the thread title and had a nerdgasm. Gonna grow so many turnips.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind

Jesto fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Jul 14, 2017

Catts
Nov 3, 2011

Jesto posted:

I'm really hoping that pigs aren't only for pork, because there's never any need to raise them. Maybe pigshit will be a great fertilizer to help plants grow, or maybe you can take them into the forests to sniff out truffles.

Maybe happy piggies give better meat when you slaughter them.

:unsmith:

Liandar
Feb 2, 2011

Catts posted:

Maybe happy piggies give better meat when you slaughter them.

:unsmith:

Yup, nothing like befriending them and earning their trust before you (literally) stab them in the heart :smithicide:

I guess there was a good reason why Harvest Moon games didn't deal with butchering :v:

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Liandar posted:

Yup, nothing like befriending them and earning their trust before you (literally) stab them in the heart :smithicide:

I guess there was a good reason why Harvest Moon games didn't deal with butchering :v:

They had a pretty good guilt trip if your animals died due to neglect though.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I dunno, farmers have been keeping and treating livestock animals like beloved pets then killing, cooking, and eating them for centuries. Just the way things are. :v:

Then again, my grandpa grew up on a farm and had a pet sheep and now refuses to eat mutton.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Good news, you don't actually stab a cow through the heart!

You cave their skulls in with a captive bolt pistol!

edit: Someday I wouldn't mind seeing a harvest moon style game that takes the more visceral approach to farming, and has lovingly animated slaughtering and such.

Killer-of-Lawyers fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Aug 4, 2013

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

We need a Harvest Moon game revolving around the American meat industry, complete with pig poo poo lagoons.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I'm just gonna raise a pig as a pet and no one can stop me.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
You can slaughter animals for food in Shepard's Crossing 2! :eng101: In fact it's the best way to get a successful farm: Raise rabbits for meat to feed to your dogs that protect your sheep! With an added bonus that you can sell the rabbit pelts!

I played that game too loving much.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Wandering Knitter posted:

You can slaughter animals for food in Shepard's Crossing 2! :eng101: In fact it's the best way to get a successful farm: Raise rabbits for meat to feed to your dogs that protect your sheep! With an added bonus that you can sell the rabbit pelts!

I played that game too loving much.

Me too, man. :smith: It was funny how it managed to be even more batshit than RF3 despite looking kinda normal. That weird alcoholic duck strutting around amongst all the other ducks destined for the pot was kinda surreal.

Now I wanna play it again but I'm not sure I could remember all the weird little micromanagement rules.

E. just remembered that weird lady who forces marriage on you if you try to stay single,... regardless of your gender?

Corridor fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Aug 5, 2013

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Just watched the trailer that I somehow missed seeing earlier. Man, the music and the writing and the character profile arts are all terrible. It won't stop me sinking many many hours into the game as soon as it comes out, but drat I hope that poo poo gets some improvements before D-day.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Corridor posted:

Just watched the trailer that I somehow missed seeing earlier. Man, the music and the writing and the character profile arts are all terrible. It won't stop me sinking many many hours into the game as soon as it comes out, but drat I hope that poo poo gets some improvements before D-day.

Are you talking about the trailer from February?
If so, the character profile arts have been improved since then. That trailer is super outdated. It even has the old, not-snazzy character sprites.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Corridor posted:

The OP already has these improvements... :eng99:

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Don't make that face at me! <:mad:> Yeah the profiles are visibly better, I'd forgotten about them when I watched the older trailer. I really hope the writing for NPC dialogues and stuff gets better too though. Charming or insane NPCs can really just elevate these kinds of games, RF2 and RF3 being case in point. I find the HMs up to Mineral Town to be a bit unplayable because of how drat boring the NPCs are, it wasn't until Forget-Me-Not Valley that I started to properly get into the franchise even though the games are a bit inferior. Oh god I'm such a sperg.

I'll say something positive now. I like how there's a bit of a Terraria thing going on where you can mine poo poo away and change the terrain, and presumably gotta grow more trees if you cut all the original ones down.

SUPERFINE CONCUBINE
Jun 28, 2008

☆ catgroove ☆
There's a thread for this?! gently caress I am so pumped. It looks like everything I want in a Harvest Moon but without Natsume putting one good innovation in and taking one out like they do every single god drat game. No wonder it's taking so long to develop, considering how much stuff seems to be in it. I hope the characters are cool and have lots to say.

Does anyone know whether you'll be able to plant crops during winter? I want to grow bok choy and broccoli!

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Oh god I will sink hours into the fishing thing alone :(

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Jesto posted:

A preview image of the fishing minigame was released. Personally? I'm happy that it isn't "Wait for corker to bob, press button" like 99% of fishing 'minigames' in games.

Well it all depends on how sensitive it is and how well they do their jackpot calculation. Breath of Fire 3's fishing was pretty predictable and you could dictate your winnings to a certain extent, but you REALLY had to know what you were doing to game your haul, and its controls were loving horrendous like trying to drive a tank up a freeway ramp. Suikoden 2's fishing was easy to control and very intuitive, but at the price of the payout being completely unrewarding.

They should hire a mathematician with some sociology education to crunch their payouts :v:

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind

Jesto fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Jul 14, 2017

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Another Stardew update! Oh boy oh boy! http://stardewvalley.net/dev-update-10/

It talks about fishing and even includes a video!

quote:

The most recent thing I’ve been working on is fishing. I’ve added:

- Fish-catching “minigame” that requires a little bit of skill to succeed at, as well as provide more purpose for fishing equipment.
- Variable casting distance (fishing in deeper waters can net you better fish…) that you can improve by upgrading your fishing rod.
- Baits that entice certain fish, get fish biting faster, and more.
- Bobbers that affect the way the minigame work… making your job easier and increasing your chance of catching difficult fish.
- Improved the look of the water quite a bit.
- A Fishing Shop and a fisherman NPC.
- Fish length… bigger fish sell for more, and your biggest catch for each fish species is recorded!
- More fish.

He talks about some other stuff too, like he's adding item quality that pretty much works the same way it does in Harvest Moon. And also apparently bees will produce different kinds of honey depending on what types of flowers are nearby, which is such a cool little detail. :3:

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

dijon du jour posted:

Another Stardew update! Oh boy oh boy! http://stardewvalley.net/dev-update-10/

It talks about fishing and even includes a video!

He talks about some other stuff too, like he's adding item quality that pretty much works the same way it does in Harvest Moon. And also apparently bees will produce different kinds of honey depending on what types of flowers are nearby, which is such a cool little detail. :3:

As a person who enjoys farm fresh honey that is an amazing detail and I love him for that.

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...
I wonder if he's planning to add butchering ala Shepard's Crossing? Obviously not that in-depth though.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Spaceking posted:

I wonder if he's planning to add butchering ala Shepard's Crossing? Obviously not that in-depth though.

I think this has been confirmed...

e. but, y'know, cute butchering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Corridor posted:

I think this has been confirmed...

e. but, y'know, cute butchering.

Maybe if they skipped the "dead animal laying around" part from Shepherd's Crossing?