Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
It's all in the way you use it. You don't have to set up a fully-automated factory farm, I just use it to deal with annoying things like feeding garbage into recyclers and dumping the ore from my mining trips into a smelting chest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
I would never recommend that anyone use automate on their first few runs, and maybe not even on the first year of game-time in any run.

But there eventually comes a point where you have had enough of running up and down rows of kegs clicking on them, but still want to see what happens next with your farm.

I don't use automate to get significantly more cash, I use it because I get bored of some game actions long before I get bored of others.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I filled out my big shed with kegs and looked at all the oak resin I was still producing and had a vision of ANOTHER shed of kegs and immediately noped out and took down my oak tappers. It would be too much, honestly I can barely keep up with the fruit demands as it is and am having to resort to occasionally kegging cranberries.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

tildes posted:

e: Also - I'm playing coop on the switch but also sort of want to start a singleplayer PC farm to try out mods. What are the best mods people would recommend? It seems like Automate definitely should definitely be part of it. Is Stardew Valley Expanded also worth it? I'm just not sure what the priority mods are -- the forum threads from the OP have so many it's tough to filter.

As others have said, I wouldn't recommend Automate for your first couple of farms until at least a couple of years in, and I wouldn't really recommend SVE either.

My latest farm I've been running:
- LookupAnything (mouseover something, hit F1, and all of its information gets displayed - time to harvest, sell values, achievement requirements, love/like with different villagers, construction materials etc)
- Seasonal Outfits (as much as I love the artwork, I've really enjoyed seeing people wear hats and singlets in the summer, beanies and scarves in the winter etc)
- NPCMapLocations (as simple as it sounds, it shows who's where on the map), saving you endless wiki alt-tabs to figure out where someone is going to be on their birthday if its raining etc
- Skull Cavern Elevator (yeah I'm lazy, I've done it before :shrug:)
- Fishing Made Easy (yeah another cheat mod, I wanted the fishing cheevos)
- Daily Screenshot (takes a full farm screenshot every morning, one day I'll make a big GIF of my farm developing over time)
- Dachshund (turns my dog into a dachshund, because dachshunds are the best dogs)

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

Atopian posted:

I would never recommend that anyone use automate on their first few runs, and maybe not even on the first year of game-time in any run.

But there eventually comes a point where you have had enough of running up and down rows of kegs clicking on them, but still want to see what happens next with your farm.

I don't use automate to get significantly more cash, I use it because I get bored of some game actions long before I get bored of others.

This, absolutely. I love me some Stardew Valley, but the only reason I've done dozens of playthroughs and still come back for another is because of mods that alleviate the worst of the tedium. Automate, Color Crop Combiner, Walk Through Trellis, Automatic Gates, Harvest With Scythe. They all 'cheat' the game, and they're all awesome.

Oh, and Activate Sprinklers. Why in gods name do I have to wait for the next day to turn the sprinklers on, CA?

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

AJA posted:

Oh, and Activate Sprinklers. Why in gods name do I have to wait for the next day to turn the sprinklers on, CA?

Probably to prevent the exploit of watering with no stamina by putting a sprinkler down for a second then moving it.

But yeah, mods to remove the parts you find tedious is an excellent practice.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Atopian posted:

AJA posted:

This, absolutely. I love me some Stardew Valley, but the only reason I've done dozens of playthroughs and still come back for another is because of mods that alleviate the worst of the tedium. Automate, Color Crop Combiner, Walk Through Trellis, Automatic Gates, Harvest With Scythe. They all 'cheat' the game, and they're all awesome.

I think therein lies the difference. I have maybe only done three runs of this game over my lifetime, and instead of starting over a lot I keep on developing the files I come back to every now and again. It doesn't get tedious to me because I don't let it, I guess? If I get bored I just play a different video game, instead, and come back when I'm more in the mood. Some of those are less cheaty than others though, and I don't think any really reach the level of automate in my opinion - it just enables an entirely different way of playing that's beyond me.

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

Alxprit posted:

I think therein lies the difference. I have maybe only done three runs of this game over my lifetime, and instead of starting over a lot I keep on developing the files I come back to every now and again. It doesn't get tedious to me because I don't let it, I guess? If I get bored I just play a different video game, instead, and come back when I'm more in the mood. Some of those are less cheaty than others though, and I don't think any really reach the level of automate in my opinion - it just enables an entirely different way of playing that's beyond me.

Oh for sure. There is only one completely wrong way to play this game (and yes I'm looking at you, Jojafascists), everything else is just what you like, as you like. I run hundreds of mods because I love the endless variety (and ease of play), but I still watch unmodded Twitch lets plays because the base game is that incredible (and because I love watching the wonderment of someone discovering the game for the first time).

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Currently annoyed that my plan to complete the Community Centre restoration in Fall of year 1 has stalled because I totally forgot that Winter Seeds don't yield Holly :argh:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Akratic Method posted:

Probably to prevent the exploit of watering with no stamina by putting a sprinkler down for a second then moving it.

But yeah, mods to remove the parts you find tedious is an excellent practice.

Have a button on the farm computer, it'd be tedious enough running back and forth from sprinkler to computer that is not really worth it to exploit stamina Vs the utility of watering the hoed ground midday 1st of the season.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Woohoo, got holly in a travelling cart on Fall 26, back on track baby!

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Has anyone found a Bat Fossil on the switch version? I've been strip mining that dungeon for multiple seasons, both with bombs, the pickaxe and hunting down lava lurks, and I have not seen a single one. I just wanna breed big birds man. :(

Also what is the best place to find strange dolls? The secret note one fell into the river when I dug it up and it did not respawn as I thought it would.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Out of all the things a Lava Eel could want they choose a particular Dwarf Scroll. I think I'm done until the next big update. Island Pineapple kegging operation is up and running. Full basement of Ancient Fruit Wine is aging.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
That is the curse of the Lava Eel. All I can recommend is slaying Blue Slimes: Dwarf.Scroll III is a 1/66 drop on them, vs 1/200 for everything else that carries them.

I think I have been finding them more often than previously, but that may be just me spending more time on Blue Slime floors in the mines.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I think if either the hopper was changed, or just one more 'collector' machine was introduced, that'd be enough to satiate non-mod players. At least it would be for me.

I think a better alternative to the hopper would have been just a Factorio-style inserter, ie a robotic arm to take things from one container into another. Or if they really wanted to be nice about it, an attachment you could put on your machines to do that job, similar to the sprinkler upgrades.

Having to pay a notable price would be a good balancing factor; even if the Qi reward is a recipe for it and you build inserters out of a battery and an iridum bar or something.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

Pocket Billiards posted:

Out of all the things a Lava Eel could want they choose a particular Dwarf Scroll. I think I'm done until the next big update. Island Pineapple kegging operation is up and running. Full basement of Ancient Fruit Wine is aging.

One trick I did when I got Basalt for Laval Eel and had like 3 Dwarf Scrolls ready was to "reset" the pond. In otherwords fish all the lava eel out and select the pond and choose "empty fish pond" then throw one lava eel back in the pond and put the rest in a chest. Then when the new fish quests are complete throw the lava eels back in until full. It'll reroll what is needed for that step (you need 1 Basalt, 2 Diamond, or 1 Dwarf Scroll III). If you have two out of the three sometimes it's worth it to go for a reroll instead of looking for the third.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I think if either the hopper was changed, or just one more 'collector' machine was introduced, that'd be enough to satiate non-mod players. At least it would be for me.
just let the little creatures be able to do it, they can already carry things. or let me load more than one at a time

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
https://twitter.com/ConcernedApe/status/1364322680804057090

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I am completely all over this, holy poo poo.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Not to take away from this announcement, but anyone have any hot tips for finding Radioactive Ore more consistently?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Is there any way to get battery packs besides praying for a storm?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Traveling cart or a rare drop (5% I think) from iridium bats in the skull cavern. That's it as far as I know.

e: I've also gotten them in the mail from Pam I think

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

RCarr posted:

Very late game, yes. A special order available after the Island opens up can give you a machine for it.

And Pam sometimes posts you one. And Iridium Bats apparently.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Not shipping out of the US yet! I may need some goon-assistance for this.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Red_Fred posted:

Yeah, that makes me sad. I'm not bothered enough (or flush enough in cash) to try and have someone order and mail it, though.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Alxprit posted:

Not to take away from this announcement, but anyone have any hot tips for finding Radioactive Ore more consistently?

Speaking entirely from anectodal experience, their spawn rate seem to be dictated by daily luck. I've plumbed the danger mines a fair amount of times on bad/neutral luck days without seeing a single vein. I found maybe two whole veins when I did the level 100 challenge for the skull cave. Most of the ones I've found have been on high luck days, and even then it's maybe a single vein every three levels.

E: Most of my forays have been with +4 luck from quality lucky lunches, so either buff luck isn't accounted into the spawn rate or the spawn rate is straight up abysmal without it.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

RCarr posted:

Once you eventually get stormy weather, you can use a rain totem that day and it will 100% storm the following day (normally the rain totem only causes rain, not storms). You can chain this as long as you want until the end of the month or a festival day, so you can farm up a bunch of battery packs.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

webmeister posted:

Once you eventually get stormy weather, you can use a rain totem that day and it will 100% storm the following day (normally the rain totem only causes rain, not storms). You can chain this as long as you want until the end of the month or a festival day, so you can farm up a bunch of battery packs.

This is exactly what I’m looking for, thank you!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
There is also a Special Order quest board item which gives you battery packs without storms.

specifically, https://stardewvalleywiki.com/Solar_Panel - from Caroline's quest

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
What is the max for split screen on switch? Is it only 2?

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

tildes posted:

What is the max for split screen on switch? Is it only 2?

Yep.

According to the wiki PS4 and Xbox (whatever) versions have more but Switch is limited to 2 players splitscreen.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Psion posted:

There is also a Special Order quest board item which gives you battery packs without storms.

specifically, https://stardewvalleywiki.com/Solar_Panel - from Caroline's quest

I'm nearing the end of Fall Y2 and still haven't seen that quest :(

Still, I've had enough storms that I've got more iridium sprinklers than I need to cover the map and greenhouse now so :shrug:

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Red_Fred posted:

I'd offer my assistance, but I'm already paying 2/3rds the cost of the game in shipping alone. I imagine reshipment you'd get the price of three games for just the one. But they are shipping here!

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Oh my dear lord, this cannot possibly ship internationally soon enough.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I just installed UI Info Suite (I think on a recommendation further up the thread), and it's really nifty, definitely something I'll consider for the next drat marathon run in this dumb game of ours.

One thing though, the sprinkler overlay is off by a couple of squares and kinda "floats" around, not sticking to the grid even if the position of the irrigated squares were off.
I assumed it may have had something to do with running SDV on a 4K display (like almost every other problem in other games), but googling around doesn't yield any results.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I just installed UI Info Suite (I think on a recommendation further up the thread), and it's really nifty, definitely something I'll consider for the next drat marathon run in this dumb game of ours.

One thing though, the sprinkler overlay is off by a couple of squares and kinda "floats" around, not sticking to the grid even if the position of the irrigated squares were off.
I assumed it may have had something to do with running SDV on a 4K display (like almost every other problem in other games), but googling around doesn't yield any results.

It might be 4K but I use a basic bitch flat screen monitor. I've been out of the PC market for a while so I don't know anything. I guess you can check the dependencies and make sure everything is up to date? It might also be because you're using sprinklers on the beach map from the looks of it. :shrug:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Have you tried decreasing resolution to 1440 or 1080, I'm not sure what the problem could be, I can tell you it works fine on my 1440p monitor.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Interesting. I'd assumed it was just an issue with 1.5 that the developer was looking into. I'm also experiencing offset overlays for the sprinklers.

Currently using:
Automate
AutomaticGates
BetterArtisanGoodIcons
ChestsAnywhere
ContentPatcher
DailyScreenshot
GenericModConfigMenu
ImagEd
NPCMapLocations
SkullCavernElevator
UI Info Suite
WinterGrass
[CP] Seasonal Villager Outfits

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
Problem may have to do with being zoomed out in the options

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Frida Call Me posted:

Problem may have to do with being zoomed out in the options

Yes, it's definitely related to the zoom level. Experimenting has now shown me that if the UI Scale and the Zoom Level are not set to the same factor in the game options, UI Info Suite shows the sprinkler range as offset. Thanks.