Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

I hope there are Monkeys inside those stone eggs.

Honestly though I just read the thread title and had a nerdgasm. Gonna grow so many turnips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Wandering Knitter posted:

You can slaughter animals for food in Shepard's Crossing 2! :eng101: In fact it's the best way to get a successful farm: Raise rabbits for meat to feed to your dogs that protect your sheep! With an added bonus that you can sell the rabbit pelts!

I played that game too loving much.

Me too, man. :smith: It was funny how it managed to be even more batshit than RF3 despite looking kinda normal. That weird alcoholic duck strutting around amongst all the other ducks destined for the pot was kinda surreal.

Now I wanna play it again but I'm not sure I could remember all the weird little micromanagement rules.

E. just remembered that weird lady who forces marriage on you if you try to stay single,... regardless of your gender?

Corridor fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Aug 5, 2013

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Just watched the trailer that I somehow missed seeing earlier. Man, the music and the writing and the character profile arts are all terrible. It won't stop me sinking many many hours into the game as soon as it comes out, but drat I hope that poo poo gets some improvements before D-day.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Don't make that face at me! <:mad:> Yeah the profiles are visibly better, I'd forgotten about them when I watched the older trailer. I really hope the writing for NPC dialogues and stuff gets better too though. Charming or insane NPCs can really just elevate these kinds of games, RF2 and RF3 being case in point. I find the HMs up to Mineral Town to be a bit unplayable because of how drat boring the NPCs are, it wasn't until Forget-Me-Not Valley that I started to properly get into the franchise even though the games are a bit inferior. Oh god I'm such a sperg.

I'll say something positive now. I like how there's a bit of a Terraria thing going on where you can mine poo poo away and change the terrain, and presumably gotta grow more trees if you cut all the original ones down.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Oh god I will sink hours into the fishing thing alone :(

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Spaceking posted:

I wonder if he's planning to add butchering ala Shepard's Crossing? Obviously not that in-depth though.

I think this has been confirmed...

e. but, y'know, cute butchering.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Wandering Knitter posted:

Maybe if they skipped the "dead animal laying around" part from Shepherd's Crossing?

Who are you to stand in the way of my corpse farm dreams! :mad:

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

That loving lady. The chookie she gives you is a rooster, and she comes to cook it on the day it grows up. But if you have more than one chookie on that day, the chookie she actually kills is random. I found that out when she killed my loving egg-layer. While cheerfully calling it a rooster, :argh:

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

^^^ It taught me that ducks who drink booze consider themselves better than other ducks, and will calmly assist you in slaughtering their brethren.

SC2 also has the best tutorial intro, even if it tells you nothing at all useful.

Spaceking posted:

Would you like a frog?

Holy poo poo, do you have any of the other arts in high res?

Corridor fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Sep 12, 2013

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Haaaaaaahahahaha

quote:

Apparently you’re not supposed to milk mother animals until their kids have been weaned. Milking them carelessly will cause them to dry up and their babies to starve to death right in front of your eyes. You can’t put them out of their misery, you can’t sell them, you can’t feed them any milk. You just have to sit there and watch them run around helplessly until their final, miserable death.

quote:

I’ve played a lot of games and wooed many a partner. Believe me when I say this game is cold. Maki and Mika, my two previous wives, were friendly in a distant kind of way. Marriage to the mayor’s son is just depressing. (I’m in love with this other girl, but since I can’t have her, and since you obviously want me badly enough to spend 8 years saving up to afford me, I suppose) “I might as well settle for an average woman.” <— his own words. So you’ve got yourself a handsome husband, but he doesn’t love you, he’s hardly ever home, when he is he only ever talks about work and he occasionally throws some money your way and expects you to be happy. I suppose 5 isn’t too young to learn that sometimes the most attractive thing about daddy is his bank account.

quote:

Wow, could these guys be any less eager to marry me, do you think? It took Kai a while to even get his head around the concept, and this was after I’d desperately persuaded him that he couldn’t marry his sister!

It's a shame she doesn't go onto detail about the crazyass ladies in this town. Frog-and-snake girl up there is just the tip of the iceberg, wait until Haru inflicts herself on you, I don't think she says a single thing that isn't loving insane or creepy as hell.

:j: "My sister gave me 20 chickens to raise for their feathers but they keep disappearing. And where do you think they went?"
:v: "Where did they go?"
:j: "Someplace very nice! Very nice..."

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Sputnik posted:

As someone who loves old school Harvest Moons, but doesn't really care if monster slaying is even in there, I'm loving the non-fighting extensions to that list.

(I'm not a digital pacifist or anything retarded; it just never seemed like a good genre mashup to have farming and dungeoneering together)

Rune factory 2 & 3 totally own. :colbert:

God this game is going to be huge. I hope I don't just get overwhelmed with indecision when choosing paths to take and stuff.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

dijon du jour posted:

I hope Concernedape works on the NPC sprites themselves, too. Their really stiff stance contrasts a little too much with the player character's more relaxed posture. The different perspective of the NPC's is really jarring, too. Notice in the second image how Haley's feet line up on a single plane while the player character's feet are offset a little bit. It looks bad, is what I'm saying.

drat, those look pretty good. I'm not too crazy about the sprites either though.

dijon du jour posted:

That's what this game is missing: a swarthy lumberjack bachelor with a brutish demeanor and a beard you could lose small pets in. So far half the bachelors are a bunch of weedy little neeeeerds. A little variety on the other end of the spectrum is all I'm asking for, Stardew Valley. I'm a very choosy person. :colbert:

Seconding this. HM was all about kids and teens, let's date some grown ups already. Maybe some guys who aren't damaged goods waiting to be rescued would be nice.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

The White Dragon posted:

It does sound like an American version of that game where you date disabled girls, except it's their mental health instead of their being deaf or whatever. Not everyone needs to have capital-p Problems to be interesting characters and even reading those descriptions feels a little predatory.

Could a charming new farmer cultivate the wasteland of his heart?

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Jesto posted:

You make it sound like each of the characters are completely mentally crippled. They look no worse off than any character on the Breakfast Club to me. Characters need flaws if you want to give them any sort of depth when writing them, especially for relationships, unless you want Harvest Moon style relationships where the extent of it is throwing eggs at some girl every day until a wedding cutscene happens, she moves into your house and then never has anything to say past that beyond "Good morning, sweetie!"

You seriously think a character has to be mentally broken to have a personality?

e. this is from watching too much anime

Corridor fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Dec 14, 2013

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

It's mostly just the way the dudes' descriptions are phrased with the angsty goon and the alcoholic and the dudes whose loving parents vanished and left a gaping void wtf. CAN YOU SAVE HIM FROM... HIMSELF?

The girls don't seem too bad.

Corridor fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Dec 14, 2013

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Funso Banjo posted:

If I was creating a world based on our rural life, I would probably not include dark skin unless I was doing so artificially in the hope people wouldn't call me racist. Which I think we can all agree is the wrong reason to do anything. I certainly wouldn't consider myself racist for doing this, though judging by a few posts in this thread some others would consider me racist.

Did I wander into goons.txt by mistake?

This game isn't real. It isn't set in a real place. It is an entertainment product for consumption. If everyone in the game full of loads of npcs is white then it's very much sending a message, that message being "I either don't give a poo poo about any non-white players who might want to relate to characters, or I am so goddamn white that I forgot other races exist".

Also,

quote:

I would probably not include dark skin unless I was doing so artificially in the hope people wouldn't call me racist. Which I think we can all agree is the wrong reason to do anything.

I started typing up a reply to this but gently caress it, I'm just going to point at it silently

e. I don't even care that much about the races of the sprites or whatever, but goddamn this post

Corridor fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Dec 14, 2013

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

^^^ I think that 'more than three, or none' might be a good starting figure?

Jackard posted:

Stardew Valley is being developed by a gorilla, you cannot expect gorillas to be aware of issues like this.

I think that if the gorilla is concerned enough, they might make an effort.

But I am not really that bothered about racist sprites. I am more annoyed at goons typing retarded things, which always makes me type into the abyss and become that which I loathe. (Banjo is still dumb though)

VVVVV was meant sarcastically. I am used to gbs 2.1 and I forget that other forums have seriousposting.

Corridor fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Dec 14, 2013

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

I want inuit romance in my anime farming sim.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

I am definitely on your side with this and would love to see broader ethnicity in all forms of entertainment media, and in irl communities. But discussion about Real Issues on the autistic nerd escapism forum don't usually go too well, and now that it has been addressed in this thread and acknowledged as something that could be improved, it might be best to stop while we're ahead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Mordaedil posted:

This actually brings up an interesting point with relevance to how anime does it. Have you ever seen an anime and thought "boy, those people sure look white"? To a Japanese person, those same people look Japanese. It is because they use their drawing style as a blank slate, not a racial indicator, most of the time (there are plenty of exceptions, but for the majority this holds up) and of course it does run into the problem that to a black person, a blank slate like that doesn't really work as well.

There is really no good solution but to leave everyone for the most part a blank slate and allow the players to project whatever race they fancy on it. It is just going to end up wrong and offensive otherwise, because of exactly what you describe.

It might mean that the one black character we have seen in the screenshot could be more problematic than his absence by the very problem you described.

In the end, status quo for what currently is, might just be the best idea.

As long as I can have blue hair when I make a character, that is.

Sorry but this is a bad post. Also the Japanese are racist as gently caress.