Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Aw man I already spent my vote on Starbound :(
gently caress it, I'll vote again with my other E-mail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
I wonder how wooing of NPCs works in terms of multiplayer? Specifically, if multiple players are wooing the same townsperson? Because if you can steal love from another player I know me and my friends' farm will very quickly devolve into a reenactment of Les Liaisons Dangereuses. :v:

dijon du jour fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Apr 27, 2013

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
No one has posted this yet so I'll just put this here.

(from concernedape's twitter)

Apparently there is a wizard and this is his house. :dance:

YOURFRIEND posted:

The dungeons and combat are a huge bummer. If not for that I'd be completely sold on the game in a way I haven't been on any game in a long time. As it stands I'll wait to see whether or not those are pretty much ignorable features.

I believe concernedape has said in the past that you can ignore the mine and just focus on farming, or vise versa, if you want. Dunno if that has changed in the intervening time.

e: OP, there are enough new images that you could probably get rid of the "outdated images" section if you want to. Trim the fat a bit.

dijon du jour fucked around with this message at 09:27 on May 5, 2013

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Corridor posted:

Just watched the trailer that I somehow missed seeing earlier. Man, the music and the writing and the character profile arts are all terrible. It won't stop me sinking many many hours into the game as soon as it comes out, but drat I hope that poo poo gets some improvements before D-day.

Are you talking about the trailer from February?
If so, the character profile arts have been improved since then. That trailer is super outdated. It even has the old, not-snazzy character sprites.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Another Stardew update! Oh boy oh boy! http://stardewvalley.net/dev-update-10/

It talks about fishing and even includes a video!

quote:

The most recent thing I’ve been working on is fishing. I’ve added:

- Fish-catching “minigame” that requires a little bit of skill to succeed at, as well as provide more purpose for fishing equipment.
- Variable casting distance (fishing in deeper waters can net you better fish…) that you can improve by upgrading your fishing rod.
- Baits that entice certain fish, get fish biting faster, and more.
- Bobbers that affect the way the minigame work… making your job easier and increasing your chance of catching difficult fish.
- Improved the look of the water quite a bit.
- A Fishing Shop and a fisherman NPC.
- Fish length… bigger fish sell for more, and your biggest catch for each fish species is recorded!
- More fish.

He talks about some other stuff too, like he's adding item quality that pretty much works the same way it does in Harvest Moon. And also apparently bees will produce different kinds of honey depending on what types of flowers are nearby, which is such a cool little detail. :3:

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

mull posted:

I don't like the RPGMaker-esque sprites/graphics. Hope it does well though.

I'm guessing you haven't seen the new sprites yet. The creator isn't using the edited RPGMaker sprites anymore. The graphics have a better, much more distinctive style now.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
I really like the idea of the specialization mechanic. Seems like even more encouragement to round up a friend or two and co-run a farm.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

J.A.B.C. posted:

Well, since it's delayed until next year, and I'm thinking of starting let's plays, anyone interested in a multiplayer let's play of this?

Interested as in watch or interested as in participate in? 'Cause if I can't convince any of my friends to get into this game (they're all either not gamers or more into shooters than farming sims) I'd love to get together with some people in the thread to play a multiplayer game.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
How'd you like me to plow your field? :heysexy:

Can you even marry other player characters? I vaguely remember that being a thing. Would you even want to, though? That sounds like the most boring option available because you'd miss out on all these story arcs!
Speaking of which I really hope the story of the game is interesting. It has set up neat character arcs for all the characters, but whether they actually pan out depends entirely on ConcernedApe's writing ability, of which we haven't seen any examples yet. I'm cautiously optimistic, though.

dijon du jour fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Nov 13, 2013

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Demiurge4 posted:

Burly men in suspenders is going to be the thing around here when this game comes out.

That's what this game is missing: a swarthy lumberjack bachelor with a brutish demeanor and a beard you could lose small pets in. So far half the bachelors are a bunch of weedy little neeeeerds. A little variety on the other end of the spectrum is all I'm asking for, Stardew Valley. I'm a very choosy person. :colbert:

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
New dev log: http://stardewvalley.net/dev-update-13/

Nothing too exciting, unfortunately. We do get some cool wintery images at least.

It also looks like Concernedape's been working of character portraits some more. Compare Haley in that last screenshot to this older image:

I like it. Much more detailed and she looks a lot more... fancy now. A bit older-looking, too.

I hope Concernedape works on the NPC sprites themselves, too. Their really stiff stance contrasts a little too much with the player character's more relaxed posture. The different perspective of the NPC's is really jarring, too. Notice in the second image how Haley's feet line up on a single plane while the player character's feet are offset a little bit. It looks bad, is what I'm saying.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Trainmonk posted:

As far as writing them in a "genuine way" what does that even mean? Do they need to say certain things or act a certain way? What point of view are you talking about?

Look if there are black people in my game I want them to add some Urban Gangsta Flava (TM) is that too much to ask?

dijon du jour fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Dec 15, 2013

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

mcvey posted:

I'm gonna plant so much corn.

Please, beekeeping's where it's at.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Yet another dev diary, this one on festivals:

http://stardewvalley.net/dev-update-17/

quote:

Egg Festival - Everyone gathers in town for a celebration of new life after a long winter. The festival concludes with an egg hunt.

Flower Dance - The townsfolk congregate in a secret meadow to feast and socialize. The young people pair up and participate in a time-honored tradition, the “Flower Dance”. It’s your chance to show a special someone that you care… just hope that you don’t get rejected!

Luau - The summer luau is one of Stardew Valley’s most beloved events. The beach is decked out with tropical adornments and a huge buffet is provided for everyone to enjoy. The Regional Governor makes a special trip each year to see what the valley has to offer… something that Mayor Lewis takes very seriously. The highlight of the luau has to be the potluck soup… a huge, simmering cauldron full of ingredients provided by the community.

Dance of the Midnight Jellies - On a warm summer night every year, the midnight jellies pass through Stardew Valley on their long migration home.

Harvest Fair - A celebration of the harvest season. Artisans, farmers, and craftspeople alike prepare exhibits to show off their hard work from throughout the year. A panel of judges awards medals to those with the most compelling displays.

I’ll leave the rest for you to discover on your own.

An interesting smattering so far, some are traditional Harvest Moon fare (I know that something like the potluck soup has made an appearance in at least one Harvest Moon game), some less so.

The post also has a little footnote on how development is progressing:

quote:

Festivals (50% finished)

Married/Family life

Joja Corporation storyline (I might cut this)

Finalizing game progression (making sure you can acquire all items, prices make sense, etc.)

Tying up loose ends (taking things i finished 95% to 100%)

Polishing

Testing

More polishing!

More testing!

Seems to me like we're in the homestretch. Kind of odd/worrisome that the major overarching plot of the game is up to be cut, though. If it does end up being nixed I hope it at least gets replaced by something. While the game will likely be fun regardless of whether or not it has a plot it would be a nice thing to have.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

He also hasn't crowdfunded it so either he's working on it part time or he has the means to afford to work on it full time. I suppose chucklefish could probably be fronting dev costs.

Nah, Chucklefish actually has very little money exchanging hands for being a publisher.

Mollygos posted:

We generally ask for 10% from sales-- we don't take any money from Kickstarters or other crowdfunding campaigns. In return we publish them on Steam, assist with press and marketing, provide them with websites and forums if they want them, and any advice or guidance.

Pretty hands-off, all said. So yeah, it's kind of amazing all that CApe has done as a one-person team in their own time with their own money

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Urgh, I'm not sure I like the look of that harvesting/planting with the mouse. Hopefully there's still a button we can press to do those things.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Catts posted:

Has CA mentioned anything about distribution yet? I'm assuming since the game is being published by Chucklefuck it's going to be on Steam at least.

IIRC Stardew Valley was already on Greenlight when it got picked up by Chucklefish and this was just after Steam implemented the rule where once you're on Greenlight you HAVE to get through via Greenlight.

Worry not, though. I just double checked and, yes, Stardew Valley has been greenlit already. So Steam release is a guarantee.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Shoehead posted:

I think he's still soloing this so fair play. That's a lot of work

Hell, Cave Story was also a one-man job, and it took 5 years to make. If you think of it like that ConcernedApe is actually doing pretty good. :v:

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Anyone bought the OST yet? How is it? Those preview songs from a long time ago sounded pretty good and I'd like know if the full OST is worth it quality-wise.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Bamford Brownstone posted:

Everyone needs it in order to live and seeing it makes some people very uncomfortable?

Also it shoots out your nose when you get an erection.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Gamerofthegame posted:

Wow, Stardew dev loving hosed up big time on the release date.

That's when the next Fire Emblem comes out in the US, complete with it's two expansion packs and total 70-80~ price. Yeah, the vocal fanbases for harvest moon and fire emblem totally don't match up closely, no sir.

Still, it's coming out!

Hey, someone needs to scoop up the wayward fans driven away after Fire Emblem's US release dropped the Pokemon-Amie soldier-petting feature.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Iirc Chucklefish doesn't actually provide fiscal support to the games they publish. Instead they take care of the PR and marketing stuff and provide dev advice in exchange for a relatively (compared to other publishers) tiny piece of the revenue. There was no Kickstarter or preorder either.

So yeah, either this dude's independently wealthy or he evolved to eat code.

Or he has a part time job or something.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Chantilly Say posted:

Also what is CA's favorite ice cream flavor

I need to know if I'm going to see all his heart events.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Pfft, I don't care about the getting married part. Running a farm is already like being married, except you can sell your children for a tidy profit.

Or eat them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Initial thoughts:

It's weird that the game doesn't let you chat with each person more than a couple times a day.
I mean, not that that's a bad thing. Makes it a lot easier to tell whether I've gotten that person's socialization points for that day.

I like that the characters seem to have a bunch of ambient actions they can do, like washing dishes or lifting weights. Adds a lot more personality than your average Harvest Moon villager.

Also I'm sure that one guy will be super happy you can click to skip the text appearing and even disable the dialogue typing sound.