Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Liandar posted:

Yup, nothing like befriending them and earning their trust before you (literally) stab them in the heart :smithicide:

I guess there was a good reason why Harvest Moon games didn't deal with butchering :v:

They had a pretty good guilt trip if your animals died due to neglect though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Jesto posted:

Also, this thread is about 4 months away from being 3 years old. :stare: When I first saw the game it looked like it might have been out in a couple months, at the time. Feels like forever.

Jesto in 2013 posted:

'bout time a game in this genre showed up somewhere other than a console or handheld. :toot: Unfortunately it's not out yet, the ETA is currently 'Summer 2013' at the earliest with no guarantee, but '2013' is for certain.

:v:

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

drunken officeparty posted:

The #1 thing I'm worried about (apart from multiplayer) is how fast you can mash through textboxes. I may just be a big ADD baby but I find it physically impossible to go back and play games like HM/Animal Crossing because of how you have to mash through slow text. If I wanted book readin' I woulda bought a book

So if you want farm work why don't you buy a farm? :v:

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

LibbyM posted:

Does that 1000g rare seed that takes "all fall to grow" turn into something cool?

You deliver it to a statue in an area north west of the wizard tower in exchange for a purple star fruit thingy (which boosts your max energy). You need either the steel or gold axe (can't remember which) to enter the area though because a hollow tree trunk is blocking the way. When you talk to the statue it says something about "still searching for the sweetest taste", just give it the fruit like a gift.

Incidentally, this area has multiple tree stumps that can be farmed for hardwood, as well as foraging stuff sometimes. There's also a bunch of slimes there, so bring a weapon. Oh, and there's water there, but I'm not sure if you can fish something special out of it because I forgot to try. I'll have to give it a shot once I get off work.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Feb 29, 2016

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Holy crap, just made it to Spring 1 of year two, and my previously clean farm is a complete mess again! Rocks, branches and weeds EVERYWHERE!

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

hopeandjoy posted:

Aw, I was hoping that the upgrades would start watering over a square area instead of longer lines.

They don't until gold (3x3) and Iridium (3x5) sadly.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler
This will probably get fixed at some point, but here's a bug you can exploit: If you have a kitchen, you can make anything you like even without the recipe so long as you have the ingredients on hand or in the fridge. Just click on the greyed out silhouette and your character will make the dish. Doing so won't reveal the recipe or anything though, and short of using a guide you probably won't know what most of the dishes are except for the ones that are easy to tell from the silhouette (like Ice Cream).

If you're struggling with fishing you can use this to make the +3 fishing food (Dish O'The Sea), which needs Hashbrowns (potato and oil) and 2 Sardines.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Mar 1, 2016

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

nutranurse posted:

When I first heard the cutscene I thought a hurricane ripped through or something and destroyed my crops, ala HM. Nope. Just a meteor crashing into my house.

Does anyone know what kind of pick breaks it?

gold, if I remember right. It dropped 15 or so Iridium ore for me.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Demiurge4 posted:

You bastard, I only got 6!

It could have been that too, I honestly don't remember. It was probably 6 since I doubt it is random.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

ChogsEnhour posted:

PLEASE tell me there's a better way to deal with the flies/bats in the caves. It;'s such a pain having to try and turn to face them instead of your character just swinging their weapon in whatever direction you click.

The worst part of this is that sometimes my character DOES turn around and swing in the direction I click instead of the direction I'm facing, but usually only when I click in the opposite direction of the enemy, which tends to get me hurt.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Skaw posted:

What it is, is if you click close to your character, your attack direction is based on which adjacent square you were clicking in. If the cursor is beyond a tile or two, your character will just keep swinging in whatever direction it's facing regardless of the cursors relative location. It should definitely be relative to cursor position all the time. This and the Slingshot aiming mechanic not being too mouse friendly are really my only gripes.

Yeah, that's what I thought it was since it behaves that way with tools as well. Supremely annoying and I hope it gets patched at some point. Either that or at least an option where you can select whether to mouse aim or character facing aim.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

inthesto posted:

I'll give you one guess as to what I accidentally just did :saddowns:

That doesn't seem like a very practical way to harvest your crops.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Broken Cog posted:

I got a quest from Jodi to bring her a Largemouth Bass at 7pm. But I've tried to deliver that over multiple days now, and nothing happens.

Same here, it refuses to trigger for me no matter how many days I've tried it. Maybe the text is wrong and it requires a different fish (like Smallmouth Bass)? Might try that when I get home. Hope it gets patched soon. That, and the bug that makes 95% of the stuff you fish up be trash if your skill is too high.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Mar 2, 2016

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Delaio posted:

Just saw CA post on Twitter that there's an item that you can use to make it rain for the day. Anybody found it?

This is from a while back, but at forage level 8 or 9 you learn Rain Totem, which according to the description says that it "increases the chance" of rain the next day. It might be that he's referring to. I haven't tried using it yet though.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Jesto posted:

I've spent the entire first two days of winter fishing in lakes for the sturgeon, but I've never even had one bite. I've caught every single fish that bit my line. What am I missing here? Perch, Pike, nothing else.

I spent the whole day fishing in the lake near the mine entrance (in summer) and got a total of 1 Sturgeon. It's definitely a bullshit rate.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Mar 3, 2016

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Broken Cog posted:

All you fishers looking for a Sturgeon should do the pro strat like me. That is buying it from the caravan smuggler.

That smuggler is useless and only sells fish I already have.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Reminds me of Metal Gear Solid for some reason...

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Fneeb posted:

Well the tone has been set for my marriage already! Woke up to find Penny sat outside.. "I was totally going to water some crops this morning, but there aren't any! Are you even doing any work?"

"No dear, those fields full of crops just down there are complete figments of my imagination, i'm sorry.." Guess it's a bit buggy still!

I had this with Haley too once, but I attributed it to being the first day of Fall so everything except the corn was rotten, and sprinklers do all my watering anyway. The odd part was that this was after I had restarted the day due to some muckery, and the first time I played that day she just said the normal "I got up early to water some crops for you". I have no idea why she would react differently to the same day.

Khorne posted:

Wool and supposedly the Rabbit's Foot but I haven't received a foot yet. Not sure how to breed them either.

I've had 3 Rabbit's Foot drop in the span of a little under 1 game year (I have 4 rabbits), so it's definitely not common.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Broken Cog posted:

My wife left me... at running speed through the right wall of our house

Ah well, hopefully she'll be back in the morning.

I guess that chicken mask wasn't her definition of a good time. Haley does that in my game too sometimes, for lord knows what reason.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

LibbyM posted:

If I want to let my chickens out to eat grass, it actually needs to be in a careful fenced off area right? I kind of build my coop without taking that into consideration.

Nah, I let mine out without any fences whatsoever, both barn and coop animals. The worst that can happen is that they get in your way when you try to work on your crops. I guess there might be a chance that they eat one of them or something, but if that's the case the odds are so low that it is more or less negligible.

*Edit*

If you have pigs I guess the downside is that if they find truffles it might end up being anywhere in the entire farm area, though to me it seems like they are usually in fairly close proximity to the barn.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Mar 4, 2016

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

LibbyM posted:

Cool, this is good to hear. And the animals will just find grass even if it's not near the door?

I will go ahead and plant some grass near the door just in case I guess though.

Yeah, sometimes cows will go to the far end of my farm for grass (even though there is grass closer by near the back of the barn), never had any issues yet. It might take them longer to get back into the barn when evening comes though if you're present at your farm, whereas they'll just warp back if you're not (I assume).

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Coolguye posted:

Worth noting that hay yield from cutting grass also seems to have increased drastically. I built a silo on spring 14 after having never cut any grass, and filled the drat thing to the brim in a single day, before I'd managed to reap half of the grass that existed in my farm naturally.

I need to build another at this point, but getting the clay is a pain.

I haven't tried this is a while so it might have been fixed/changed, but when I was farming for Snow Yams a few patches ago I discovered that the plot you find a yam on will ALWAYS yield a yam. So if you just find a spot with a Snow Yam, cover it up with your pickaxe and then hoe it again, a new Snow Yam pops up. Repeat until you pass out from energy loss or 2AM rolling around. If it hasn't been fixed since then I guess clay might act the same way?

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Gamerofthegame posted:

I didn't notice and new logs or stumps, but there is this weird fallen log on the edge of the map just above your wizard bro's hang out...

A certain nameless carpenter who sells wood hates it!

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Someone Awful! posted:

everyone gets fuckin rejected at the flower dance :smith::hf::smith:

This might be a given seeing as it's been standard Harvest Moon stuff, but you DO get heart points for each day you talk to someone, not just giving them gifts twice a week. You can spot this if you pay attention to the order people appear in on the social tab. If you have two people with roughly similar affection, if you talk to the bottom one they'll often climb on the list, and occasionally it might be just the extra push you need to get an extra heart, even if you already gave them both two gifts earlier in the week.

I wouldn't bother trying to talk to everyone every single day just for the minor boost in affection, that would be a waste of valuable time, but if you're trying to get along with a specific person talking to them every day will speed up the process a little.

I'm not sure you can get anyone but Haley for the first flower dance even with that though, seeing as the boost from giving her a birthday present is more or less mandatory.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Mar 5, 2016

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Rookersh posted:

You can get Haley ( birthday plus daffodil every week ). Harvey ( coffee at 300g a pop, so you basically sacrifice your entire first Spring/Summer worth of farming for him.... ), Abigail ( you need to get an Amethyst on the first Friday the Mines open, and then another on that Saturday, and get her two Amethysts a week, including two on the week of the Festival ), and Leah ( Salads at 200-300g a pop every week, so like Harvey you basically sacrifice your farm to get a dance. ).

Ah, I forgot about Harvey loving coffee. But yeah, 600g a week in early spring is... As for Abigail, you'd probably have to save-scum to get the amethysts required, but it's doable. Biggest challenge of getting Leah is finding her without the zoom patch :v:

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Gamerofthegame posted:

Coal and bits of wood, apparently. Not a lot of either.

It dropped like 3 regular Geodes for me. So yeah, pretty much crap and pointless. I'm guessing it was meant to do something else once upon a time but got canned due to time restrictions or something.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Eschers Basement posted:

::runs into thread, grabs a cow by the face, screams "my farmer, have you tried Pepper Poppers???"::

Holy poo poo those things. Stock up on Hot Peppers in Summer, people, because once you have a cow and regular cheese production you can eat a Pepper Popper every morning for +1 speed and +2 farming until mid-afternoon, letting you do serious agriculture for less energy and less time. And you can start staying up until past 1, because who cares if you lose energy in the morning? You're going to pop some Pepper Poppers and get in right back.

Edit: to clarify, that's not "I swing my sword faster" speed, that's "run from one end of the farm to the other" speed

The best part is that +speed food stacks with Coffee, which for some reason isn't considered a food buff. So you can have +2 speed all the time if you're willing to spend all your money on Coffee. It's not very good for planting work though because +2 speed is just a hair too fast and when you're planting seeds by running, you'll sometimes skip a square, unlike when you're only on +1.

Also found out that you don't need the bouquet to date someone. I gave Elliot a gift he loved, and apparently the +3 hearts from getting something they love for their birthday bypasses the limit on 8 hearts and sends them straight to 10 hearts.

That was an... interesting boat ride.... I'm so sorry, Abigail.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler
This is the 5th most played game on Steam right now. It's nice to see his work over the past few years pay off.

Also I'm currently at 99.2 hours played at the moment, send help (don't send help). Best value for money in a long, long time. Now I just need to finish the current farm and not be tempted to restart halfway through year 2 again...

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Keshik posted:

Can someone help explain how the Galaxy Sword's effect procs? I was in my slime hutch the other day getting beaten up by my slimes, and then started running around at 4 speed, and obviously thought this was the best thing that had ever happened.

I figured it triggered because I had taken damage, but I can't seem to get going that fast anymore, and I loved it more than life itself.

I think what you experienced is the speed bug that sometimes happen after you get poisoned, which gives you an insane speed boost once the debuff fades. I've had it happen a few times. Some say it happens if you get poisoned while having the coffee buff, but if that's the case it definitely doesn't happen 100% of the time. Sadly it happens very rarely for me at least, but it's awesome when it does.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler
You occasionally get Iridium from Omni Geodes, but you'd probably need a huge quantity in order to get any measurable amount of Iridium. And Omni Geodes aren't that plentyful to begin with. I guess maybe if you have the miner 10 trait that increases Geode drops, but leveling mining is a pain in the rear end and even halfway through year 2 I'm only on 8.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Still can't get Abigail's 10 heart event to trigger, and I'm starting to fear it's permanently bugged or something.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Rookersh posted:

Is it raining and or not winter.

It's autumn, neither rain nor clear weather seems to make it trigger.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Indecisive posted:

Man, 300 omni geodes and only got one prismatic shard, does using it at that one place in the desert consume it? I haven't actually looked up what happens, just remember someone mentioning in the thread.

Yes, it uses it up. In fact, something I painfully discovered, if you have multiple in a stack and carry the stack it will consume all of them. That was the clearest Alt+F4 moment in the game so far for me. Splitting the stack and carrying only one doesn't consume all of them though.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Digirat posted:

I got a letter from elliot saying his novel was finished and he would be reading it in the library tomorrow, which was the fair, so it never happened. I went to the library the day after that and he wasn't there. Can I still marry him

Like Leah's and Jodi's events, while he says that the event takes place the same day it basically have no time limit and can happen any day that meets the requirements for weather/season/time, so just keep trying at the appropriate hours and it'll trigger at some point. There's usually a 2 hour interval during which it can trigger, so just make sure it's the appropriate hour and it should happen sooner or later.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Mar 9, 2016

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Germstore posted:

I'm scrolling down. All I have is Trout Soup, Bait, Crab Pot, Bamboo Pole, and Fiberglass Pole.

You'll get a mail once it's ready for sale, I guess it might have a random chance of appearing every day after you meet the conditions? 8 Fishing is definitely enough, and I can't remember doing anything special in my game for it to pop up. I went heavy on the fishing and the Iridium rod unlocked only a few days after the fibreglass one did, and all I did was just fish.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Fishing is great.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Barn breweries are the best. Make alcohol out of everything!

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

RatHat posted:

Breweries really seem like the easiest way to make money. Brew beer or ale in summer, wine or juice in other seasons. Only problem is you need farming level 8 to make kegs.

You also pretty much need your own sizeable tree farm if you want to be able to get enough lumber for all the kegs.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Kyrosiris posted:

Jesus, and I thought my current setup with 43 kegs was nice. :stare:

That's so late in the game that it's pretty much just for kicks, there's nothing else to spend money on at this point. Unless I want to furnish every square of my farm with endless fortune statues.

On a related note I've been revisiting Rune Factory 3 lately (don't have a 3DS to play 4th; too bad it's not on the Vita), and while I appreciate the combat aspect of RF3 more than in Stardew Valley, the farming feels terrible compared to SV's quality of life improvements. I'm half tempted to fire up Harvest Moon: Back to Nature again which I still feel is the best HM game to date, but I'm pretty sure I'd sorely miss the improvements SV has over it.

What I'm saying is that we need SV2.

RatHat posted:

When I run out of trees in my farm I'll chop down the trees in the forest and leave the stumps so they regrow.

Don't leave the stumps; that actually prevents the trees from regrowing. Chop them down completely and they will regrow fairly soon'ish.

*Edit*
Note to self, Stardew Valley does not abbreviate to SW.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Mar 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Haifisch posted:

The latest update made kegs require oak resin now. Plan accordingly for your ever-expanding boozepires.

Phew, made my 109 kegs just in time then. No time for tapping trees, I had to chop all of them down for said kegs. All of them.