Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

voltcatfish posted:

Link confirmed not girl, obviously. Says they only considered making Zelda the main character, and abandoned the concept of a female protagonist entirely after that didn't pan out.

Everyone knows women are just too hard to animate, just ask Ubisoft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Buttons for sword. Gyro for aiming things.

So kinda like the 3DS remakes of the 64 games? That sounds perfect.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Honestly, it's a lot worse for Aonuma to give a fake reason that makes no sense than to just be neutrally silent.

As soon as you try to pretend there's some rational basis for the decision, people can spot the holes in your logic. Why does the balance of the triforce require a dude to represent courage? How is it "simpler" to change the protagonist to Zelda than to tweak Link's appearance/voice? If you did change the protagonist to Zelda, why can't Link's role be adjusted accordingly as he becomes an NPC?

Aonuma should have just said "we had a specific vision for this incarnation of Link". It's perfectly honest and it doesn't insult people in the process of trying to placate them.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
So this is post-apocalyptic Hyrule with survivalist Link?

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

voltcatfish posted:

Link confirmed not girl, obviously. Says they only considered making Zelda the main character, and abandoned the concept of a female protagonist entirely after that didn't pan out.

"If Zelda fights, what is there for link to do?"

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Supercar Gautier posted:

Honestly, it's a lot worse for Aonuma to give a fake reason that makes no sense than to just be neutrally silent.

As soon as you try to pretend there's some rational basis for the decision, people can spot the holes in your logic. Why does the balance of the triforce require a dude to represent courage? How is it "simpler" to change the protagonist to Zelda than to tweak Link's appearance/voice? If you did change the protagonist to Zelda, why can't Link's role be adjusted accordingly as he becomes an NPC?

Aonuma should have just said "we had a specific vision for this incarnation of Link". It's perfectly honest and it doesn't insult people in the process of trying to placate them.

The reason isn't fake if they actually did concept out a female Link for the game and internally they just didn't feel satisfied by the end result. We'll never know until we get some sort of art book that has unused concept art or some sort of full disclosure interview. The latter is probably less likely to happen.

People aren't going to be happy no matter what Nintendo says about it, there was a lot of folks interested in the idea of a female Link as is, and the rumors about it only raised people's hopes.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
New Zelda is part cooking sim, awesome.

DigitalDud
Sep 6, 2005
Have they shown any dungeon action yet?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

DigitalDud posted:

Just shrines which they've said are supplemental to actual dungeons.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

DigitalDud posted:

They showed some shrines which are supposed to be mini-dungeons.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

DigitalDud posted:

No, they've shown "shrines" which appear to be little mini-dungeons that give you new unlimited-use items like those blue bombs.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Is that great sword Link was wielding something he can switch to back and forth or was it something you pick up for temporary use ala Wind Waker?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Now this is reminding me of Shadows of Mordor.

e: I'm a big fan of this Chico lady.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jun 14, 2016

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Nickoten posted:

Is that great sword Link was wielding something he can switch to back and forth or was it something you pick up for temporary use ala Wind Waker?

You've got an inventory for that stuff now.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Nickoten posted:

All the weapons seem temporary with their weak durability. I really hope the Master Sword is indestructible...

Edit: I'm "generally ok" with durability, but it doesn't need to be so weak. I'm just hoping it's because like that for the purposes of the E3 demo. I do like the idea that different weapons are better for different enemies (i.e. Axes to take out the Bokoblin's shield, bow and arrow to take out Stalfos in one hit to the head, etc).

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jun 14, 2016

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

fivegears4reverse posted:

The reason isn't fake if they actually did concept out a female Link for the game and internally they just didn't feel satisfied by the end result. We'll never know until we get some sort of art book that has unused concept art or some sort of full disclosure interview. The latter is probably less likely to happen.

People aren't going to be happy no matter what Nintendo says about it, there was a lot of folks interested in the idea of a female Link as is, and the rumors about it only raised people's hopes.

If Linkle wasn't right there, maybe things would have played out differently. But they made a big showing of 'hey here's what a female Link is like' in HW and then turning around and going 'our simplest solution was to have Zelda as the playable character but then what would Link do?!'

Man what?

Just don't have dude Link. Link or Linkle choice at the start and then literally nothing else changes. I've fixed the 'problem.'

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
This game looks good except for the Havok physics engine controlling your fate

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Like, bill tried to put down a bunch of barrels and he carefully positioned himself and then they just started rolling away. Who wants that. Who wants their emergent gameplay to be influenced by Runge-Kutta

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

ChibiSoma posted:

If Linkle wasn't right there, maybe things would have played out differently. But they made a big showing of 'hey here's what a female Link is like' in HW and then turning around and going 'our simplest solution was to have Zelda as the playable character but then what would Link do?!'

Man what?

Just don't have dude Link. Link or Linkle choice at the start and then literally nothing else changes. I've fixed the 'problem.'

Except now the problem is that one of your main character options has the name Linkle.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Suspicious Dish posted:

Like, bill tried to put down a bunch of barrels and he carefully positioned himself and then they just started rolling away. Who wants that. Who wants their emergent gameplay to be influenced by Runge-Kutta

I really do

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

They're showing off what amiibo do now.

Wolf Link amiibo brings Wolf Link sans Midna into the game as a partner character. I was just wondering where the obligatory open world dog buddy was.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jun 14, 2016

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

BJPaskoff posted:

I'm buying an NX for this game. Maybe a Wii U if the game runs smoothly on it, but I'm not confident in last-gen hardware running stripped-down versions of games. I think it's awesome how fun this game looks and the presenters aren't actually doing anything. They found basic items like a bow and some bombs and have just been running around basically farming. No dungeons, no real hint what the game might be once you get into the game part of it, and it's got me wanting an NX.

I'm not looking forward to the inventory management, weapon degradation, and interrupting the flow of the game to pause it and eat food though.

Given that the primary system of development for this one was the Wii U, I can't imagine the Wii U version will be any more "stripped down" than the GCN version of twilight princess was.

If anything, the NX version isnt going to use that system to its best capacity

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

They're showing off what amiibo do now.

Wolf Link amiibo brings Wolf Link sans Midna into the game as a partner character. I was just wondering where the obligatory open world dog buddy was.

If I can have Midna follow Link around and tell him he's a moron, I'll buy that Amiibo in an instant.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Can't wait for the wool yoshi and ROB amiibo to help out

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

That doesn't mean I actually care about the Amiibos themselves, Nintendo.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
The Legend of Zelda: Skyrim Sword

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Being stuck at work I only saw the title release trailer Nintendo posted on Facebook but this looks like the most boring and uninspired open world game so far. I hope I'm missing some really cool poo poo on the stream.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

SeANMcBAY posted:

A cutscene just mentioned a certain antagonist.

Is it Ganon

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

s.i.r.e. posted:

Being stuck at work I only saw the title release trailer Nintendo posted on Facebook but this looks like the most boring and uninspired open world game so far. I hope I'm missing some really cool poo poo on the stream.

Shield snowboarding, you have to care about whether Link's clothes are warm enough when you go somewhere cold or how much sound his armor makes when you're trying to sneak, stealing and using enemy weapons is now your main source of weapons rather than a gimmick like Wind Waker, map is huge and very pretty, there's hunting and did I mention you can snowboard on your shield

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape

Harrow posted:

Shield snowboarding, you have to care about whether Link's clothes are warm enough when you go somewhere cold or how much sound his armor makes when you're trying to sneak, stealing and using enemy weapons is now your main source of weapons rather than a gimmick like Wind Waker, map is huge and very pretty, there's hunting and you can snowboard on your shield

It is important to mention that you don't need snow to snowboard on your shield.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

ChibiSoma posted:

Man what?

Linkle isn't Link.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

New thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3779975

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Blackheart posted:

Is it Ganon

It's a secret to everyone.

Yes and noticeably Ganon, not Ganondorf.

• Locked thread