Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

MustelaFuro posted:

Concerning Aonuma mentioning that the next Zelda installment may have multiplayer got me thinking how awesome it would be if instead of Link saving Zelda, Link and Zelda work together to defeat whoever.

That's a lot like how Spirit Tracks worked in some places, though it was a single player game (of course) where you switched between Link and Zelda. Still, there need to be more Zelda games where the princess helps get poo poo done. :hellyeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I will say that if you HATE skyward sword for any reason, you might be slightly put off by this book. The first 60 pages are like Skyward Sword alone, and I think the next 60 pages go on to talk about the timeline.

So half the book is Skyward Sword + timeline stuff. The rest is the cool art, but the bonus comic is also about skyward sword.

Still it's pretty handy to have around. I just wish there was more stuff on the old 2D Zeldas, but I can understand that not a lot of art may have survived since then.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Ineffiable posted:

Still it's pretty handy to have around. I just wish there was more stuff on the old 2D Zeldas, but I can understand that not a lot of art may have survived since then.

I think most of the suff is barely surviving, it's also just that there arn't a real whole lot of interesting stuff. It was like the first SMB game, all they had for art assets were box art, maybe 1 or 2 character drawings, and the rest are sprite traces on graph paper.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jan 30, 2013

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Ineffiable posted:

I will say that if you HATE skyward sword for any reason, you might be slightly put off by this book. The first 60 pages are like Skyward Sword alone, and I think the next 60 pages go on to talk about the timeline.

So half the book is Skyward Sword + timeline stuff. The rest is the cool art, but the bonus comic is also about skyward sword.

Yeah, Aonuma mentioned that they had to scrounge the Nintendo building to find the few scraps of the older game documents just for the book. It's a shame because there's a huge difference the earliest design documents and the kind of work they have to put out now just for the handheld games and it's fascinating.

VVV I think they were probably trying to evoke a similiar feel with the previous iterations of Ganon that they used in other games while still trying to create a new enemy. All the same, yeah his design does feel a bit hackneyed in comparison to other previous final bosses in the LoZ series.

Obligatory Toast fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jan 30, 2013

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

So in retrospect, I still don't get Demise from a character design standpoint. I mean, he's literally Akuma from Street Fighter. Where the hell did that idea even come from? His art style doesn't fit in with the rest of the game whatsoever.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I might be slightly biased as Link's Awakening is my favorite Zelda ever and I'd take any new piece of art I could find for it.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

WendigoJohnson posted:

This is what I was hoping the New Game+ would be for Skyward Sword since they seemed to be hinting at it. I really wanted to play as characters other than link.

Ideally, we could have four player with Link, Zelda, Tingle and Groose. Everybody loving wins.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

nerdbot posted:

Ideally, we could have four player with Link, Zelda, Tingle and Groose. Groose always loving wins.

Edited for accuracy.

Runaway Five
Dec 31, 2007
I hate gays almost as much as I hate good posting. Also, God is good. Amen
To those who got their copies of Hyrule Historia, did you order through Amazon? I got an email that mine just shipped today and should arrive on the Thursday.

Just curious how the couple of you got yours early. I need to play the Song of Double Time so mine will get here sooner. I've got a place on my bookshelf for my Hyrule Historia, right next to my Twilight Princess Limited Edition Strategy Guide!

Also, to anyone not sure about the Wii-U, I'll say this. I finally got to actually play it. A friend of mine got one. 5 hours just passed like the blink of an eye playing that thing man! Actually discussing strategy to get through the Legend of Zelda Nintendoland Attraction is pretty bad rear end. The later levels will actually cause you to die if you aren't really good and able to do teamwork.

Multiplayer Nintendoland games are drat fun! I think that is key. I probably wouldn't have had nearly as much fun playing solo Wii-U. So, I'll have to eventually get a Wii-U now. I was surpised how much fun I had. So, to anyone who hasn't tried one yet, go find someone who has one and crash their house!

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Realistically, I doubt it would happen, but I think it would be cool for a Zelda that would superficially follow the expected conventions up to a point. There'd be a Link, a Master Sword, a Triforce... stuff like that. Except there would be a few things that would be a bit off, even from the outset.

Link would look noticeably different this time around, as would the Master Sword. But that's alright, there's nothing wrong with mixing up the designs. And then the player would get to the Triforce part where- hey that's not where the Triforce of Courage (was it internally consistent on where Courage, Wisdom, and Power went on the big Triforce?) usually is! "You got the Triforce of Power!"

Or Wisdom, that works too, I guess. But this big twist would only work on people who are familiar with the series, it would fall flat for anyone who picked this theoretical fanfiction as their first Zelda.

Alternatively, I'm up for Groose's Catapult Training.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Runaway Five posted:

To those who got their copies of Hyrule Historia, did you order through Amazon?

Yeah, I had it preordered months ago and it arrived today. Maybe I did release day shipping or something, not sure.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I preordered the book maybe a half year ago and just got it today. I guess I feel guilty for giving up on Skyward Sword after one dungeon, but that game really didn't make me want to finish it.

I do wonder how calculated the idea of making an "official" timeline was to garner interest for this Skyward-centered art book.

edit:

And still... Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland still isn't in the timeline. :(

edit2:

Oh poo poo... it had a sequel.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jan 30, 2013

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Echo Chamber posted:

And still... Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland still isn't in the timeline. :(

edit2:

Oh poo poo... it had a sequel.
Never translated. :( I don't want to be the sad weeaboo who learns a language just to play a game, but dammit....

Rosy Rupeeland did the area-integration thing so drat well, but people won't play it because ew, Tingle, ew. Even when I tell them you get Rupee Lasers in the final boss battle. Rupee Lasers!

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

WendigoJohnson posted:

This is what I was hoping the New Game+ would be for Skyward Sword since they seemed to be hinting at it. I really wanted to play as characters other than link.

The Zelda franchise is due for a major overhaul to break away from the standard

- small town Link attacked
- set off for main hub
- visit first set of temples
- receive magic plot item
- Second set of temples
- Last boss fight

I think they're afraid to do anything radically new to the series since its a flagship title for Nintendo. One thing I've always wanted to see was adding a new non-sword main weapon and various armor outifts. They did a good job in TP with the water armor looking like a strange scuba diving outfit but the Rupee armor was pretty boring.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Call back to Rogue and Wizardry: make the whole thing a dungeon with different sub-areas. Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup has cool tangents and stuff you can go on that spawn with every dungeon.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Runaway Five posted:

To those who got their copies of Hyrule Historia, did you order through Amazon? I got an email that mine just shipped today and should arrive on the Thursday.

Just curious how the couple of you got yours early. I need to play the Song of Double Time so mine will get here sooner. I've got a place on my bookshelf for my Hyrule Historia, right next to my Twilight Princess Limited Edition Strategy Guide!
They shipped my stuff on Sunday apparently? And I live close to an Amazon distribution facility. I get books stupid fast, sometimes next day.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

WendigoJohnson posted:

I have this rad Nintendo Power poster of Ocarina of Time where Link and Sheik are back to back, holding off a horde of monsters on all sides. I was really hoping you got to play as Sheik at some point, or that there'd even be co-op. Oh the naivete of youth.

E: Still looks rad:

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jan 30, 2013

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It will never happen but I think it'd honestly be kinda neat to play as Zelda or even Ganondorf for a whole LoZ game. Maybe have Link become corrupted by the triforce or some junk like that. I just want Ganondorf to win for once, poor guy can't catch a break.

Or maybe create a Zelda tennis game spin off based on that one phase in almost every Ganondorf fight where you hit a ball of energy to each other.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

KimT posted:

It will never happen but I think it'd honestly be kinda neat to play as Zelda or even Ganondorf for a whole LoZ game. Maybe have Link become corrupted by the triforce or some junk like that. I just want Ganondorf to win for once, poor guy can't catch a break.

Ganondorf can be a partner character in Paper Legend of Zelda. It is revealed that he is just lonely and wants the Triforce to be cool and get more friends. Has massive crush on every generation's Zelda.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Gutcruncher posted:

Ganondorf can be a partner character in Paper Legend of Zelda. It is revealed that he is just lonely and wants the Triforce to be cool and get more friends. Has massive crush on every generation's Zelda.

Personally, I'd never stop playing such a game.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.

Gutcruncher posted:

He's Ice King?

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

It'd be cool to see some other characters wind up with the Triforce than the standard three as a plot thing.

I was one of those people who thought Groose was poised to be given the Triforce of Power in Skyward Sword for most of the game, even after he became a good guy, and I thought it was gonna be really cool to see someone use the evil part of the Triforce for less dubious causes.

Tingle should get the middle part of the Triforce. That's his part.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

List of Zelda game demands:
-Link can be girl
-Lives in cool swamp (?)
-Mechagohma is a boss (Gohma but with TRON lights all over him)
-Thoughtful exploration of Gerudo politics and the question of isolationism in the context of a single-sex society
-Smooth saxophone rendition of Zelda's Lullaby

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

KimT posted:

Maybe have Link become corrupted by the triforce or some junk like that.

Valiant did it!

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Supercar Gautier posted:

-Smooth saxophone rendition of Zelda's Lullaby
gently caress the rest but yes to this.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.

Obligatory Toast posted:

gently caress the rest but yes to this.

Performed by Nick Offerman in his "Duke Silver" persona.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
List of requests for new Zelda game:

-link is big and buff
-bring back white tights
-epona gets a boyfriend
-Zelda is a man & link is his gay lover
-ganondorf is a thousand year old trapped in the body of a young girl
-Goron

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

KimT posted:

I've always had the fanboy fantasy of a game where Link gets corrupted and you have to play as Ganondorf and use magic and hand to hand combat.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

It's time for the Legend of Zelda to move on. Nintendo has realized, like Squaresoft before it, that the "fantasy" genre is tapped out. You can only go back to that well so many times.

Here's to the forthcoming Cyberlegend of Z.E.L.D.A., An HTTP Link to the Future! You play, of course, LiNk, a hacker. Use the Wiimote waggle to sift through lines of code! Your special companion this time is a holographic cube with a sassy personality. Uncover the mystery behind the death of your girlfriend beneath those detuned-TV skies of the corporation-nation known as Hi/Rul.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It would be pretty sweet if they did change the setting and everything to the future- except Link himself. For some reason he still has his green tunic and fights with a sword, except now he's in a future space base fighting things that are obviously robots.

Samurai Link.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??
Just make it all steampunk. Steampunk everything. Link has goggles with gears, Zelda wears a corset, Ganon is a dapper gentleman and has a tophat, Epona is a dirigible.

VV You know some fan has posed the exact same idea to a forum unironically, and not only was it not roundly mocked, it was lauded. Isn't that horrifying?

Obligatory Toast fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jan 30, 2013

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Obligatory Toast posted:

Just make it all steampunk. Steampunk everything. Link has goggles with gears, Zelda wears a corset, Ganon is a dapper gentleman and has a tophat, Epona is a dirigible.

If there's anything that could make me not buy another Zelda game...

Really, I think if they revive the old Ultima vibes of Zelda 1 in the overworld exploration I think they will be fine. It's that feeling and atmosphere that I think is important to a Zelda game more than anything.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?
I asked this in the Wii U megathread but I figure this is probably a better place to ask. Is the Hyrule Historia not being sold in stores? I forgot to preorder it online and was hoping I could just go out and grab it, but nowhere has it in stock. If I can't find it somewhere in the next few days I'll definitely just order on Amazon, but I'd rather be able to just pick up the book.

And Nintendo really needs to get on their 3DS VC releases, I want to play through the Oracle games again, dammit! (especially Ages, my sister lost our copy so I never beat it)

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

MissileWaster posted:

And Nintendo really needs to get on their 3DS VC releases, I want to play through the Oracle games again, dammit! (especially Ages, my sister lost our copy so I never beat it)

Id totally rebuy the Oracle games if they made the connection stuff totally automatic, no passwords or anything.

Who am I kidding, Im rebuying them no matter what.

CrushedB
Jun 2, 2008

Obligatory Toast posted:

Now I want to find that Ghirahim art from Hyrule Historia where he looked like a cross between Jesus and a Guy Fawkes mask wearing a tophat.

Wait I found it:

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Man, we could have had devil Jesus or pimp Jesus or monster squid head Jesus, but instead we got the personification of Gay Panic.

CrushedB
Jun 2, 2008

It's weird that they started out with a gruff manly dude and ended up with David Bowie as JoJo's Bizarre Adventure character, and then there's the initial sketches for Ganondorf in Twilight Princess where at one point was a wise crackin' clown with no pants.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Supercar Gautier posted:

Man, we could have had devil Jesus or pimp Jesus or monster squid head Jesus, but instead we got the personification of Gay Panic.

You only hate him because he's fabulous. :colbert:

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

scary ghost dog posted:

List of requests for new Zelda game:

-link is big and buff
-bring back white tights
-epona gets
a boyfriend
-Zelda is a man & link is his gay lover
-ganondorf is a thousand year old trapped in the body of a young girl

-Goron

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Obligatory Toast posted:

One of the things I like about more recent Zelda is the old-tech and retro-tech designs - Ancient Hyrule seems to have been full of automata and quasi-mechanical stuff. But I'm really, really glad that they keep it subtle.

• Locked thread