Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

The Wii U has the second screen for it.

Exactly. That's why they'd better loving have it.

Little Mac posted:

I'm weird. I liked Zelda II better than Zelda I. Zelda I's just unplayable to me.

It's almost like they have radically different gameplay! :v: :v: :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I didn't even know about the Wii U remake of Wind Waker. I can't wait to get to that game in my little journey here, I already know it looks amazing in 1080p on my TV running Dolphin.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I'm firmly in the "don't like it" camp for the new Wind Waker visuals. The game already looks fantastic, they could have put it in HD and shipped it and I would have bought it without question. If any game needed an HD overhaul, it's Twilight Princess, that game was gorgeous until you got within 20 feet of any surface and realized every texture in the game was blurry as hell due to compression. (still much love for TP, though, would gladly replay even without HD)

quote:

Aonuma Discusses The Legend of Zelda for Wii U

Franchise producer Eiji Aonuma, citing the scope and ambition of this new Zelda for Wii U, declined to do a full unveiling of the Wii U Zelda entry but provided some insight into his team's mission. Nintendo is "rethinking the conventions of Zelda," including:

Dungeons completed in a set order
Single-player gameplay

Despite considering multiplayer options and possibly an open-world layout for the next Zelda game, Aonuma said that they're "returning to basics." The goal of all this, Aonuma said, was to create a reborn Zelda -- and more details on this will be shared as the game comes together.

Anyone else thinking Dark Souls when they read this? Cause I'm thinking Dark Souls when I read this.

Which is kinda funny, since Dark Souls is basically NES Zelda only next gen and given a dark, gothic medieval aesthetic ala Berserk. I can definitely see some Nintendo guys playing that game and going "Why didn't we think of that?" The messages players leave everywhere definitely remind me of how Miyamoto designed the first game with the idea that talking with friends at school would be how you discover new secrets in the game.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
The messages are already pretty similar to Miiverse in some ways. I think there's some really smart integration stuff they could do in there. I would like to see multiplayer that's less direct than Dark Souls for an actual Zelda game, though. Like I wouldn't like to summon another player, but maybe bringing some part of another player's game into mine, as in the pawn system from Dragon's Dogma, would be cool.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
The biggest strike against Zelda II is that there's no map function. This is why I find the first two Metroid games unplayable, too.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I can wait to bomb some dodongos.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

The Monkey Man posted:

The biggest strike against Zelda II is that there's no map function. This is why I find the first two Metroid games unplayable, too.

I liked that aspect of it personally. If the cost of mismanaging your resources weren't so brutal that would be one of my favorite parts of Zelda 2, as it is for me in Metroid and the Souls games.

I haven't decided if I'm doing the mobile games for my project yet. I really like Link's Awakening DX and the Oracle of ____ games but it's a little boring because I've already played and beaten them, whereas I hadn't beaten almost any console Zelda game(I've beaten OoT and gotten most of the way through LTTP) and there are several I have not played. Is Minish Cap good?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Some people like Minish Cap, but I really just could not stand it. I've tried to finish it like three times and I just quit a few hours in. It isn't really anything like Link's Awakening or Oracles, and it's not like the DS games either (which are pretty great).

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Heran Bago posted:

I can wait to bomb some dodongos.
That is a gently caress ton of bloom, let me tell you.

precision posted:

Some people like Minish Cap, but I really just could not stand it. I've tried to finish it like three times and I just quit a few hours in. It isn't really anything like Link's Awakening or Oracles, and it's not like the DS games either (which are pretty great).
Minish Cap can get pretty boring at times. There's a lot of running around, grabbing poo poo, then running back, then running to somewhere else. After replaying it, it can definitely feel pretty boring, but I do enjoy the silly items and aesthetic of the games.
Awkward Zombie's comic about the magic Canes throughout Zelda demonstrates this well.

Snuffy the Evil
Oct 9, 2012
An HD rerelease of Wind Waker?

:stare:

I need a Wii U. I don't even care about the bloom.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??
Thread title has never been more accurate. I think I know where my tax return money is going. :sigh:

Baron FU posted:

All Zelda games are amazing for speedrunning. I'm going to paste a couple of must watch runs here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0M7IINwTFVw Amazing OOT run where Cosmo explains the story behind the speedrunning in OOT.
http://fr.twitch.tv/speeddemosarchivesda/b/355843975?t=22h02m01s Zelda 2 broken.

Loads more on Youtube.

I'm currently playing LTTP exclusively. Also a great game to speedrun.

It's always fun to see how much you can break these games, honestly. :allears:

RME posted:

I would love if the world was open like Dark Souls. I would also love if it took the coop/pvp structure of dark souls.
What I'm saying is if Nintendo made Zelda Souls I might never stop buying the game.

I think most of us have been thinking this, but I remain apprehensive as to what kind of options and designs for potential co-op they're looking into for the next game. Nintendo's idea of co-op is really inconsistent between many titles, from might as well be non-existent to actively encouraging you to gently caress your allies over for shits and giggles.

I'm not saying it's not a bad idea, I just hope they find a decent middle ground that complements the gameplay in the right way.

Also I would like it if the next game didn't give me wrist damage, tia Nintendo.

Super Ness
Jan 14, 2011

~It's in...your..heart..~
ERMAHGERD I wonder if they'll add the motion plus sword control into WWHD and alter the enemies to be able to block your attacks. That sword master on your home island will have a ball teaching you how to get past his defenses!

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.

Super Ness posted:

ERMAHGERD I wonder if they'll add the motion plus sword control into WWHD and alter the enemies to be able to block your attacks. That sword master on your home island will have a ball teaching you how to get past his defenses!

I'm part of the %50 of Zelda fans that would love and use this, and I would repeatedly return to Outset to play the gently caress out of Orca's sparring game.

Thinking ahead to Zelda U, I think Miiverse is the perfect excuse for Zelda to go back to the idea that players would need to communicate to find all the game's secrets, or even to find their way through the main quest. Imagine finding a Gossip Stone or something with a carved message from "other adventurers" saying "bomb this wall" or "move this gravestone" to find well-hidden secrets. It would be rad as gently caress if you could hide treasure chests with money or loot, then go to a shop in the main town to sell a map and key or purchase maps/keys left by other players.

Liam Acerbus
Sep 17, 2007

I hope I'm not the only one who just wants the motion controls to go away. I haven't even started the first real dungeon in Skyward Sword, and I think the controls are why. It's just so tedious to play. I do need to beat it before I get the WW remake.

Dark Souls owns, so I wouldn't mind seeing the next Zelda take some inspiration from that.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Snuffy the Evil posted:

An HD rerelease of Wind Waker?

:stare:

I need a Wii U. I don't even care about the bloom.

I'll wait and see if the WW remake actually has any new content. If it does, then hell yeah that's an instant Wii U purchase. Otherwise I can probably live without it.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Liam Acerbus posted:

I hope I'm not the only one who just wants the motion controls to go away. I haven't even started the first real dungeon in Skyward Sword, and I think the controls are why. It's just so tedious to play. I do need to beat it before I get the WW remake.

Dark Souls owns, so I wouldn't mind seeing the next Zelda take some inspiration from that.

The flying is the worst example of motion controls, but the rest of the game manages to make it work seamlessly. It's one of those weird things where if you don't play through it in long bursts, each time you start Skyward Sword it takes a bit of time to get the feel of the controls. I played probably 13 hours in 2 days, didn't play much for a while, then went back and beat the game in one weekend. I tried playing it a few times between but after 10-15 minutes I'd get frustrated with the controls and drop it.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Liam Acerbus posted:

I'm in the same (talking) boat. I loved Twilight Princess, but I haven't played SS in maybe a year because I got so frustrated by the combat. I must be spastic, because even with the bundled wiimote, and recalibrating it every minute, it would do what I wanted a quarter of the time.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
I never thought something could get me interested in the Zelda series again, but the prospect of a return to the open-ended world of Zelda 1 would do it.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

If you haven't preordered your copy of Hyrule Historia yet, you should do so soon. Amazon's got it for around $16, and it's sad to be pretty comprehensive. if you're a fan of Zelda, at all, this is like the most essential merchandise you need.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

The messages are already pretty similar to Miiverse in some ways. I think there's some really smart integration stuff they could do in there. I would like to see multiplayer that's less direct than Dark Souls for an actual Zelda game, though. Like I wouldn't like to summon another player, but maybe bringing some part of another player's game into mine, as in the pawn system from Dragon's Dogma, would be cool.

What if each town had an NPC that would speak in Miiverse posts? Every town would have a foulmouthed liar that has the amazing ability to speak in dick drawings!

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Gutcruncher posted:

What if each town had an NPC that would speak in Miiverse posts? Every town would have a foulmouthed liar that has the amazing ability to speak in dick drawings!

I want it to speak in Madden posts.

SilentD
Aug 22, 2012

by toby

The Monkey Man posted:

That never bothered me about it. And the only problem area of the original Metroid was Norfair, where things actually got confusing.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Manky posted:

I'm in the same (talking) boat. I loved Twilight Princess, but I haven't played SS in maybe a year because I got so frustrated by the combat. I must be spastic, because even with the bundled wiimote, and recalibrating it every minute, it would do what I wanted a quarter of the time.

Whenever I see someone say that they had to recalibrate every few minutes, I wonder if they're talking about the quick re-centering of the cursor or the full laying down of the wiimote for a few seconds way. If the latter is being needed every minute, then something is distinctly wrong. I don't know if faulty motion pluses were a widespread issue, but I always wished I could see what people were physically doing when they say that the controls never worked.

I never had any issues with the controls, except that trusting was a bit tricky at times. I was grinning like a maniac once Link was given the sword and I realized how much control I had. Maybe I just got lucky. :shobon:

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Ziddar posted:

Whenever I see someone say that they had to recalibrate every few minutes, I wonder if they're talking about the quick re-centering of the cursor or the full laying down of the wiimote for a few seconds way. If the latter is being needed every minute, then something is distinctly wrong. I don't know if faulty motion pluses were a widespread issue, but I always wished I could see what people were physically doing when they say that the controls never worked.

I have to agree, while I occasionally had to recenter the cursor when I got lazy, I only once recalibrated the sensor through the main menu through my 50 hour play through. And I only had to do it because I accidentally tilted the wiimote during the initial "lay the remote down flat".

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
I never had any difficulties with recalibrating the Wiiremote. The only thing I didn't like about the motion controls was using Motion+, which I found to be a lot laggier than the IR in Twilight Princess.

I started playing Wind Waker again about a month ago, and I actually find myself really missing the sword controls from Skyward Sword. I puzzle battle aspect and the feedback it gives you. Fighting moblins and darknuts in Wind Waker is kind of tedious because of needing to wait for Parry prompts.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Super Ness posted:

I can't wait to spend 2 hours on Outset before leaving. :v:

I too, hope they ruin Wind Waker HD with motion controls.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I don't get why Motion+ was ever necessary when all the way back in Super Mario Galaxy they already had control schemes that relied on using the wiimote in 3D. :shrug:

edit: thread title should say 1997 because the N64 was far more devoid of great games than the Gamecube was

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

precision posted:

I don't get why Motion+ was ever necessary when all the way back in Super Mario Galaxy they already had control schemes that relied on using the wiimote in 3D. :shrug:

The motion controls in Skyward Sword are way more complex than what the Galaxy games used (which was just tilt I think).

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Strange Matter posted:

Fighting moblins and darknuts in Wind Waker is kind of tedious because of needing to wait for Parry prompts.

If there was one thing I really, really liked about SS was that it did not have this and once you got the reaction timing down just right, things were significantly less frustrating.

VVV You couldn't, in fact! I do miss helmsplitter.

Obligatory Toast fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jan 25, 2013

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

Obligatory Toast posted:

If there was one thing I really, really liked about SS was that it did not have this and once you got the reaction timing down just right, things were significantly less frustrating.

I did miss the backslice and helm-splitter, though (unless they were in SS and I'm retarded?). I wouldn't mind if they let you do them whenever you want, like in TP.

precision posted:

I'm guessing you haven't had much hands-on time with Motion+ vs. non-Motion+ games. The difference is night and day.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
If there's one thing that needs to go away from this series it's all the gimmicky bullshit. It started in Ocarina of Time with the whole time mechanic which, at first, seemed pretty awesome. Then by the end of the game (the Desert Colossus temple for instance) the pacing gets all hosed up because now you need to go through a dungeon twice, once as young Link and once as adult Link.

Wind Waker had sailing which, again, on the surface seems really cool and admitted did make the world feel large and interesting. But then you have to gently caress around with changing the wind and it just made everything a bog.

Twilight Princess had the wretched wolf mechanic, the light and dark world mechanic (which wasn't even that fun in LotP), and then they started this thing where they would lazily repeat this entire gameplay mechanic over and over again. In order to give you fast travel spots in TP, you'd have to fight these big shadowy gorilla beasts. Fine, except they weren't all that fun to fight and you had to kill them in the most asinine way. Don't get me started on the Tears of Light collecting bullshit...

Then Skyward Sword came out and surprised me since I didn't know you could create an entire video game comprised of tedious, repetitive nonsense.

Motion Controls are pretty mixed for people, but I definitely thought they were completely unnecessary and just acted as another boundary between me and the game.

The Tears of Light mechanic shows up AGAIN, and you have to do it FOUR TIMES. You like boss fights? Then you must like all their weak points being the same thing, their eye(s). Hope you like collecting pointless garbage to upgrade your equipment! Hey Fi, why don't you tell me some pointless trollop and that I can't skip?

Luckily, it had some fine moments. Groose was endlessly entertaining. The graphic style was gorgeous. Some of the dungeon designs were wonderful, the music was gorgeous (thanks for FINALLY using real orchestrations instead of MIDI, you twats) and it has one of my favourite end boss battles of all time.

tl;dr Nintendo needs to go back to the basics and stop piling garbage over their gameplay mechanics

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Link to the Past had the dark world and the light world. I guess Zelda 2's gimmick is being an action RPG.

But hey, everyone knows if there's anything that would keep Zelda fresh it's boiling everything down to the same go to dungeon/get item/use item/go to dungeon/get item... structure that everyone's been complaining about lately with nothing to spice it up.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

If there's one thing that needs to go away from this series it's all the gimmicky bullshit. It started in Ocarina of Time with the whole time mechanic which, at first, seemed pretty awesome. Then by the end of the game (the Desert Colossus temple for instance) the pacing gets all hosed up because now you need to go through a dungeon twice, once as young Link and once as adult Link.

Uh, what? The Desert Colossus has you go through half (or maybe 1/3rd) of the dungeon as young Link, and the other half (or 2/3rds, whatever) as adult Link. You never have to go through the same dungeon twice, what are you even talking about???

I'm also a little confused as to what your criteria for describing mechanics as "gimmicks" are

edit: and of course by Desert Colossus I mean Spirit Temple

edit again: wait I guess it is also called the Desert Colossus ignore me pretend this never happened

romanowski fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 25, 2013

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

romanowski posted:

Uh, what? The Desert Colossus has you go through half (or maybe 1/3rd) of the dungeon as young Link, and the other half (or 2/3rds, whatever) as adult Link. You never have to go through the same dungeon twice, what are you even talking about???

Not to mention it's probably the shortest of the Medallion dungeons. You also only have to go back to being a kid twice I believe (The Well and Sand Temple). Can't really say the game was based around going back and forth through time as much as you'd think.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

In all fairness, I think the Silent Realms were an awesome concept that never hit their stride. The first one was great because it transformed the peaceful, tranquil woods into a Silent Hill-esque nightmare. The sense of urgency when you're collecting tears and panic when they're chasing you (especially with loving music). I didn't mind them on the whole, but I was disappointed that the next three didn't offer unique variations on the concept.

Also, The Spirit Temple is awesome, partly because you do it in two stages :colbert:

edit: I also wish they would go farther with the blurring fields/dungeons thing they promised in SS. The overworlds were cool, but the dungeons were just dungeons. I remember the (bogus) pre-E3 rumors in 2010 said that in "Zelda Wii," you wouldn't even realize you were in a dungeon until halfway through. That's what I would love to see. Like, imagine you roll into Kakariko to do something important and find out it's overrun with monsters. So you start exploring the various buildings, the windmill, the cemetery, etc. while finding keys to buildings and helping the townspeople. Then a boss pops up and you're like "Oh poo poo, Kakariko Village was dungeon."

Rake Arms fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jan 25, 2013

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Crazy poo poo

And whats with all this sword bullshit? GIMMICK! Real men use their hands. :colbert:

Runaway Five
Dec 31, 2007
I hate gays almost as much as I hate good posting. Also, God is good. Amen

Heran Bago posted:

As mentioned above Wind Waker and OoT are some of the best Speedruns to watch:

That's hilarious, I once watched a Wind Waker sentiment speed run and saw basically that :)

I must say, so many of us nerds have forgotten Wind Waker when it was first shown and when it first came out.

The masses cried "Celda!" and how it looked horrible, especially after we had just seen that Spaceworld 2000 footage of the realistic Ganondorf Versus Adult Link fight, and then we got this cartoon looking thing that was for babbies. (Go google some ancient message board conversations, these were the norms).

Also, everyone bitched about sailing, the massively empty pointless sea, the triforce sea chart fetch quests, etc...

Then, we let 5 years pass and everyone says how much they loved Wind Waker. (Myself included for some crazy reason).

At the time it came out, I didn't like it overall. I really liked the game up until the last few hours of the game. I thought the ending dungeon was rushed and that the ending was terrible Destroy ancient Hyrule, the exact OPPOSITE of what the purpose of the game was about. Link was supposed to resurrect ancient Hyrule. Also, the Dead King pulls the worse deus ex machina in the series. He pops out of no where and wishes for 'hope' and the destruction of ancient Hyrule. He could have wished for anything better than that. Why not wish for Ganondorf to be destroyed for eternity and everything to be good from now on? Nope, he goes "Hyrule sucks, and I wish for these kids to probably not die..."

So in short, when it came out, most people didn't like it. How many of you who like it now actually liked it when it came out? I didn't like Wind Waker then, but I like it now. Isn't that weird?

edit: removed image, I didn't think it would offend anybody. I thought it made a valid point about Zelda fans.

I'm totally getting Hyrule Historia. I looked at Wii-U's today, but I just can't justify $350 for a console. If I ever DO get a Wii-U, I'll buy Wind Waker HD for sure. It just belongs in my collection being a Zelda nerd and all.

Runaway Five fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jan 25, 2013

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

My personal views are also well-summarized by racist caricatures.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
My only problem with Skyward Sword is that it will be the hardest Zelda game to re-release in six years, two games down the line, when it's at peak popularity, since it's a known fact that Zelda games always reach peak popularity when they're two generations old. (LTTP>Majora's Mask, OOT>Wind Waker, Majora's Mask>Twilight Princess, now Wind Waker>Skyward Sword)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

I thought all the negativity around Wind Waker was only before release. Seriously, how can you not fall in love with that game by the end of Dragon Roost Cavern?

• Locked thread