Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
I never thought something could get me interested in the Zelda series again, but the prospect of a return to the open-ended world of Zelda 1 would do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Just make the next Zelda more like Alundra and I'll buy it on day one.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

I'm doing a challenge run of the first Zelda game where I don't pick up any sword upgrades or rings. I can't make it past level 6. The room early on with all the Wizrobes and Like Likes is brutal.
Do you mean you're playing through the whole game with just the wooden sword or with no sword at all? Because the latter is a hell of a challenge (and ends as soon as you get to Ganon).

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

ImpAtom posted:

There is a market for hard games but it isn't the same as the market for Zelda.
This is unfortunately true. The era of challenging Zelda games is long gone. Nintendo would be alienating their core demographic to create hard games again; the closest we've gotten in recent years is the optional stars in Super Mario Galaxy. Hopefully they'll keep throwing us a bone once in awhile.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Joseph Campbell's Monomyth.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Bombadilillo posted:

Maybe you should stop playing Zelda games.
Or maybe he has a legitimate complaint about every Zelda game after OoT?

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Zelda gets breast cancer.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Unrelated but: I recently started playing the Original NES LoZ. I'm doing okay, but I was wondering if there was a good way to get more health? Like not heart containers, I mean regular hearts and fairies. Killing enemies only rarely gets me hearts and such. You always start with three hearts, and I can't ever seem to get myself up to full health.
Remember the location of fairy fountains in the overworld. When in dungeons, bring a red potion and don't get hit. It's a hard game.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Link has almost no personality anyways, so there isn't much to change or potentially ruin. What would it matter if one of his many incarnations was a girl? It would stir up controversy and sales and we'd have a video game woman protagonist who wasn't sex object garbage. A Zelda-centered game could be rad, too.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Reminder that they did in fact make a Zelda game starring Zelda.

Now can we please have one that isn't for the CD-i?

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
A game where Tingle gets the triforce of courage and gains the temerity to rip off every child in Hyrule by selling them lovely overpriced maps.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Magossa posted:

Don't pull the "multiple Links so it could be a girl one time" card ether.
Why not? The Zelda games don't exactly have amazing storylines so it wouldn't be ruining them.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Tutorials in all games should be optional for obvious reasons. Cutscenes, too. Press Start to skip Link's magical companion blabbing about how much a red rupee is worth or that you need to hit the moblin with your sword, or even better have an option in a menu somewhere to disable that junk entirely. I know Zelda games are still popular with young children who don't have decades of gaming experience like many of us, but cmon Nintendo throw a bone to players who know that a key is used to open doors.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

WendigoJohnson posted:

Also Zelda has always been anime styled. Always, including Windwaker. Even Groose too, especialy Groose.
Zelda used to be cool though.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Regy Rusty posted:

Personally as a Windwaker purist I'm going to refuse to buy this newfangled windless sail. Back in my day when the wind wasn't going our way we used to change it or even learned to tack! And we drat well liked it. :colbert:
Look at this noob who doesn't know how to use a raft.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
You can't get two people to agree on whether a particular Zelda game is any good or even a "true" Zelda game. I've never seen any other series so bafflingly inconsistent both within itself and with fan receptions of it. I think this is actually a good thing; someone will say "Majora's Mask was lame" or "I liked Spirit Tracks" and someone else will go "WHAT!? How dare you have that opinion!" It's great that there isn't some overbearing groupthink that demands everyone have the same pre-established beliefs. People have to debate their positions on Zelda games, which is the proper course of things.

Besides, everyone already knows that Alundra is the best Zelda game. :getin:

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
True. I think the series has gone downhill significantly since the mid-90s days and what Zelda games are now have practically nothing in common with the challenging open-ended games I fell in love with. But I prefer to say that (for example) Skyward Sword is a bad Zelda game rather than not being a Zelda game at all. But that's just semantics.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Nahxela posted:

A lot of people put the mic right in front of their mouth and blow much harder than they need to, which causes the DS to read the inputs poorly.
In most DS games you can just rub a finger over the microphone and it'll register as blowing. Doesn't work for voice commands, though.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Alundra is the best Zelda game. Not even kidding.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
I wrote a crappy review of it last year. Keep in mind I'm a bitter old coot who doesn't like most of the 3D Zeldas, so that definitely colors my opinions.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Draile posted:

The original Legend of Zelda is still excellent for anyone who enjoys open worlds and exploration and dislikes hand-holding.
So... not Zelda fans? :v:

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

jivjov posted:

GameStop also has a nasty habit of selling opened and handled games as "New" as well. I don't give them my business anymore, but as a heads up, don't trust anything they sell as "new" unless you see the shrinkwrap.
I wouldn't put it past them to just re-shrinkwrap used games. If you buy anything at GameStop, ask to see the CD to make sure it's not covered in scratches and fingerprints.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
The best thing about the Zelda series is that no one can agree on which games are good and which aren't. I'm not being snide; I actually think it's fascinating that opinions can diverge so much, and it definitely generates a lot of discussion that wouldn't exist if everyone agreed that Twilight Princess was the pinnacle of human creation or something.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

chumbler posted:

Zelda 2 also didn't have him really appear (and had some great final boss music to boot). I really want to see a game that fleshes out Ganon/Ganondorf as a character beyond Generic Badman. They did that probably the most out of any game so far with Wind Waker when they gave him an understandable, if disareeable, motivation, but he still could have used more presence. I'd kind of like to see him have an active role similar to how Girahim showed up frequently. Give him a sense of looming threat and an actual personality. Have Link fight him more times and in ways that aren't just The Ganondorf/Agahnim Battle. He's built like a brick house and is a master wizard, have him fight like he's both.

Maybe I just want pro wrestler Ganondorf doing elbow drops from the top rope and suplexing Link.
We have such sights to show you...

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

RyokoTK posted:

Can you point me to the thread where this happens?
https://www.tvtropes.org

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

romanowski posted:

I like it in zelda when you stab the pig man
Lookit this noob who doesn't know about the spin slash.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
The Adventure of Link is a great game in its own right.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Sire Oblivion posted:

Play Faxanadu if you want Zelda II: Done Right.
Fixed that for you.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
I love Dark Souls but not every Games thread has to be about Dark Souls. :shrug:

On topic:

That loving Sned posted:

The only good Zelda game in the last decade was a sequel to a SNES game, rather than a watered-down attempt at capturing Ocarina of Time's magic again. However, they can't keep making throwback games forever (well, this is Nintendo we're talking about), so they'll need to use what they learned in A Link Between Worlds and actually make a brand new game with it.
The Zelda series has been stagnant for quite some time now (I know a lot of you like Twilight Princess/Skyward Sword/the DS ones, but please reconsider your insanity). But why would Nintendo want to mix things up when almost everything they release with the Zelda brand name sells 50 million copies and gets near-perfect ratings everywhere? The Mario Galaxy series showed that they can do something new and interesting with an old franchise and still succeed commercially. The pressure to keep rehashing Ocarina of Time must be too strong, though.

I need to get A Link Between Worlds and see if it deserves the almost universal praise it's been getting.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Bongo Bill posted:

Ocarina of Time was one of the first video games to use cinematographic techniques, alongside (but in a different way than) Metal Gear Solid, which was out at about the same time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhFTBiQhJeA

:raise:

I get what you're saying, though. In the late 90s games started openly attempting to become movies, and the advent of not-terrible-looking 3D graphics were probably the catalyst for that.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

greatn posted:

Not really that I can think of in wind Waker, but in Majora's mask I'd say the dungeon where the second half is the original dungeon flipped entirely upside down is really innovative and surprising, a total "whoa" moment.
Castlevania: Symphony of the night did this earlier but it was a moot point because you could fly and super jump and poo poo by that point. Having to actually walk around in an upside-down level should happen more often.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Torquemadras posted:

100% agreed - I don't really get what's so great about the arbitrary secrets in LoZ, either. Seems more like a hassle than actual exploration to me.
The first LoZ had far too much obtuse crap that necessitated a Nintendo Power (and the mangled Engrish hints from the old men did not help one bit) but it was downright obvious and accessible compared to, say, Tower of Druaga or Wizardry. As irritating as it is, I'd rather be forced to bomb every rock looking for a dungeon than sit through the handholding that 3D Zeldas are famous for.

Austrian mook posted:

Oh come the gently caress on now. It's cool to hate TP but get real, that game had the best loving NPC's, even if we didn't get to do a whole lot with them.
But Groose was in Skyward Sword. :confused:

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Torquemadras posted:

This might sound strange, given how I'd rate Twilight Princess as the worst of all 3D Zeldas,
Don't worry about it. There are no two people with the same beliefs on the Zelda games. Hell, you can even find people who somehow enjoy the CD-i games. Zelda is divisive and open to discussion, and that's a great thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Cornwind Evil posted:

I figure this is the best thread to ask. I'm trying to get the Zelda Challenge: Outlands version of Zelda 1 to work. I overwrote a copy of the Zelda ROM data with the EXE program as told, but the title screen is all screwed up and the actual game is kind of glitchy. Is there something else I have to do? Is it a matter of a certain Zelda 1 ROM or emulator working best?
Try another IPS program and/or another version of the ROM.

• Locked thread