Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
I look forward to Zelda's Epic Yarn, an open world adventure through a magical land made out of yarn and glue.

Nah but seriously, I'm glad that Nintendo is finally getting the hint that Zelda has grown obnoxiously stale. even though I really liked Twilight Princess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
Wind Waker should have let you warp to more islands and not had the last chunk of the game be a tedious loving scavenger hunt on your slow-rear end boat.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Ah, so you've played Majora's Mask then?

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Just get rid of the wallet concept

This.

You know, honestly, I think Zelda should just try more wildly new things more often. Like, just start with the combat. Okami has amazing combat, because it's basically a mini Devil May Cry system built into a Zelda engine. In Zelda, most of your combat is just tapping a button and hopping to the side, or shooting your bow. It's very basic, and kind of dull. Newer Zeldas have incorporated new moves and the like, but most of them are just superficial and don't really add any real depth to the combat. Giving Zelda a new, more kinetic and fast-paced battle system would be a pretty nice new change to the system.

I'd also like to see less clear distinctions between dungeons and the overworld. I'd like a scenario where you enter a location and get lost for an hour, end up clearing through two dungeons and ending up in a completely new area without even meaning to. Give us a sense of discovery, rather than just checking off items in a list.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Rake Arms posted:

You know what would really shock everyone? Straight up reboot the series as a dark medieval fantasy, reinterpreting the imagery of the original NES game. Hyrule is western Europe near the end of the Roman conquest. The spread of Christianity plunged the pagan religion of the Three Goddesses into obscurity, and with it, the once-mighty Hyrule became an eerie no-man's land, scarcely populated, save for the old wise men/women living in caves and abandoned temples, and hordes of monsters. Link, a Christian knight from a neighboring kingdom, wanders into Hyrule to seek his fortune. He ends up vowing to defeat Ganon in the name of Christ, but along the way, becomes ensnared by the forgotten world of fairies, magic, spirits, demons, etc.

I'm just kidding Nintendo, please do not do this. I'm fine if someone wants to make an original IP of it, but not Zelda.

Somebody should make this game. Kickstarter it. Maybe not as a Zelda, but I'd play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
I've been playing 3-D Dot Game Heroes lately, which I'm certain has been brought up in this thread before, since it's an enormous homage to Zelda 1. It takes the same exploration and kind of looser, more open world and gives it a neat 3-D pixel look, you have an enormous sword that fills the screen, and you can make your own character or pick from an absurd assortment of possibilities. I am a sentient arcade machine wandering the countryside hurling boomerangs at lightning clouds and that's alright with me.

But playing this game makes me realize just how unlike Zelda 1 the Zelda series really has become. In Zelda, you're dumped into a world and just set loose--there's nobody explicitly telling you where to go, but you may have a general idea or some suggestions from NPCs. It's pretty refreshing to actually get lost in a game like this, and have to figure out which canyon I'd taken to get back to where I was. I can't remember the last time I was just kind of expected to roam aimlessly in a Zelda game, or when I could get lost in a really big world. Dot Game Heroes can be a little clunky in places, since it does more or less play exactly like an NES game, but the boss fights are really cool, the music is nice and if you're nostalgic for old-school Zelda, you should give this one a try. Plus, it's made by From Software, who made Dark Souls, and that's super duper excellent.

• Locked thread