Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

KimT posted:

Man I never really knew that people were divided on the Skyward Sword motion controls, I thought the new sword controls were one of the best things to happen to the series in a long time. I'm going to miss them in the Wii U Zelda since I imagine they'll probably use the gamepad instead. (Though I'm interested to see what they do with it)

I think the only reason people were divided on SS motion controls was that it seemed like a lot of people had hardware issues with the WiiMotion Plus. General consensus in the last thread seemed to be that the Wii Remote+ with the built-in MotionPlus worked pretty well, but the dongle attachment for the game was finicky as poo poo.

Also, I felt like too many enemies became little miniature puzzles (okay, swing left-to-right, that's the only way you'll do damage! now top-right-to-left-bottom!) but that's probably just me being bad at video games and having a tendency to swing first and ask questions think strategically later. Seriously, gently caress Stalfos. And Lizalfos

RentCavalier posted:

I look forward to Zelda's Epic Yarn, an open world adventure through a magical land made out of yarn and glue.

Nah but seriously, I'm glad that Nintendo is finally getting the hint that Zelda has grown obnoxiously stale. even though I really liked Twilight Princess

Whatup TP fan buddy :hfive:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Regy Rusty posted:

I'm pretty sure its purpose was one tried out solution to the "I have too many rupees" problem that always plagues the series. It's just not a good one. Skyward Sword Majora's Mask finally solved that in a really good way with the upgrade system bank.

Seriously why have they not re-implemented this.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Nintendo definitely added in that out of nowhere 3rd timeline just to gently caress with Zelda fans. Its really great.

I'm pretty sure the 3rd timeline should really be called the "Will you nerds please shut the gently caress up about timelines already?" timeline.

scary ghost dog posted:

It's more like the proto-Zelda, as difficult to enjoy if you're calibrated to the 3D games as Super Metroid.

Yeah, I've tried to play LttP, but I just can't do 2D Zelda. Majora's Mask was my first Zelda and I've played all the console ones, but for some reason it just doesn't click for me. Possibly because I'm a big dumb baby who can't survive a scary world without railroading paths to the end.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jan 28, 2013

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

pentyne posted:

The real story is "Hey, Miyamoto, if you make a timeline we can make insane amounts of money by selling it in a book."

"But guys, we haven't been trying at anything resembling a timeline beyond vague references for years! And the 2D games hardly fit anywhere!"
"Shigeru, listen. INSANE amounts of money."

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Jan 28, 2013

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

gooby on rails posted:

It would be pretty sweet if they did change the setting and everything to the future- except Link himself. For some reason he still has his green tunic and fights with a sword, except now he's in a future space base fighting things that are obviously robots.

Samurai Link.

"I, GANONDORF, THE OCCASIONALLY-A-PIG MASTER OF DARKNESS...

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

WendigoJohnson posted:

The overworld in Skyward Sword reminded me of the overworld in Majora's Mask. It was small but it had alot to do inside of it. It really didn't bother me at all, the atmosphere was great.

Did we play in the same overworlds? Because the Skyward Sword I played had the Lumpy Pumpkin, a couple of minigame islands, and a billion little crapholes with goddess chests.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rake Arms posted:

My crazy fan theory is that the dark "magic" wielded by the Twili is actually the ancient technology found in Lanayru desert

Midna may be the Twilight Princess, but Scrapper is the Twilight KING.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

roybot9000 posted:

Double clawshots were amazing. I was happy to see them return in Skyward Sword.

I was happy to see them return. I was more happy to just see something more loving tangible than a Water Dragon Scale come out of a Silent Realm.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Strange Matter posted:

I was super excited when Zant appeared but then it turns out he's nothing more than thinly veiled Aganihm.

Yeah, when Zant first appears and loving owns the Light Spirit right in front of you, then sideswipes Link's rear end and nearly kills Midna, I was psyched as poo poo to fight him. Then at the end he turns into a loving joke, almost literally, with his goofy face and flailing as his fight went on, just so we could get boring ol' Ganon again.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jim Jam posted:

Switching in and out of wolf Link mode is 100 million times more intrusive than the iron boots in OoT. Seriously.

Say whaaaa? I'd say they're at least equally intrusive.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Epona is pretty much useless in Twilight Princess. Not only do you have Beast Mode to run around in, but even by halfway through the game there's teleports everywhere so you never need to use the horse beyond your first visit anywhere unless you really like horsing it up.

Plus if you're using a horse instead of a boar you're doing it wrong.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

As far as the Moblin thing, that isn't true. Are you thinking of a different enemy? If you're talking about Technoblins, they follow your sword. The way to beat them without taking damage is to hold you sword in a direction and then quickly flick it in another direction.

Personally, I find that type of enemy annoying as I had to move the Wiimote very slowly to stop my Wii from registering my movement as an attack and getting electrocuted (or blocked, by like every other enemy). I understand the concept behind how to attack the enemy type, but frankly, it's a hell of a lot easier to wait to stun them by parrying their attack or spamming the spin attack. Too many of the SS enemies revolve around that, waiting for you to reposition to a specific direction of a sword cut. It's real neat that I can swing diagonal-up-right, but it breaks the flow to have a Stalfos waiting like 15 seconds to attack me while I line up a swing.

The one thing I think that video review posted earlier nailed is the over-reliance on the sword for... everything. It's the beginning and end of pretty much every puzzle and the way to beat every enemy. Like, okay, I get it Nintendo, 1:1 motion is real neat, now how about we use some new poo poo?

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jun 10, 2013

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The answer to a Zelda game starring Zelda is already in Twilight Princess. At least the intro is... Just have this scene happen, but instead of surrendering, either the whole thing turns into either Zelda fighting with that sword or Fire Emblem style gameplay where you lead those troops. You lose the first battle because of plot reasons and have to fight your way back up, but there ya go.

CURATOR OF ANIME posted:

If Nintendo wanted us to revisit the same area over and over again it would have been nice to play as Zelda during that time.

Clearly the answer is to have an even bigger threat invade Hyrule right after Ganondorf accidentally eats Zelda. You play half the game as Ganondorf trying to retake the land so he can rule and half the time as Zelda helping from the inside/eventually getting out and flying solo. Thus revisiting the areas would present the characters with different goals and...

Yes, I want a sequel to Bowser's Inside Story MAKE IT HAPPEN NINTENDO.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jun 23, 2013

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The whole thing with Fi is really sad just because I really do like her character design. If only there were an actual character there...

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Some Numbers posted:

The Arbiter's Grounds and its associated boss fights are one of my favorite Zelda experiences.

The remainder of Twilight Princess is a dull slog though, with the single exception of the second half of the City in the Sky.

Yeah, I'm one of the biggest defenders of TP around, but City in the Sky is just the loving worst.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

That loving Sned posted:

Little fixes won't make Twilight Princess any less of a dull, unmemorable slog. It's also very linear and fenced off, so there's no way to explore the world at your own pace like in Majora's Mask or The Wind Waker.

I hate to kill your nostalgia, but Wind Waker is pretty fenced off for the first part of the game. You try straying too much from the path of gettin' them jewels and King of Red Lions will shut your rear end right down. It just seems way more open, because, you know, ocean.

Torquemadras posted:

I don't think anybody should worry if there is such a thing like a "true" Zelda game. That just leads to a series forever stuck in its glorious past.

In fact, the only thing I ever wanted from a Zelda game is to have an adventure. Basically, to feel like a kid again, exploring a forest you don't know. That is supposed to be scary, to be full of unknown and/or imagined horrors, full of self-imposed tests of bravery, full of wielding a stick pretending it is a sword. No-one would EVER want to climb a parent-sanctioned tree barely higher than themselves. You can't wrap an adventure in bubble foil.

Seriously, just give me an open and incredibly hostile world, with intriguing things in sight everywhere - BAMM, instant Zelda. Everything you find isn't some kind of glorified key, but rather something that makes you explore in wildly different ways. Wanna have wings? Who cares that it cracks the classic dungeon design wide open, give me those wings. Wanna climb everywhere? Suddenly, the whole world is a potential treasure spot. Wanna destroy every wall in the game? Just imagine what a dungeon using that could look like. It would probably be very hard to make, but dammit, we wanna have an adventure here. Zelda hasn't been anywhere close to that for ages.

It sounds like you want somebody to make a Hyrule mod for Saints Row IV.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Austrian mook posted:

Twilight Princess had some sick loving moments though. Like the horse battles and the final fight was rad as hell

One of my favorites was when Zant just shows up after you clear a dungeon, chumps Link and Lanayru the Light Spirit without lifting a finger, and then nearly kills Midna. I remember being in awe of that at the time. That's how you make a villain seem scary.

Ugh, I'm one of the staunchest Twilight Princess defenders out there, but I will always be disappointed as hell that Zant got turned into such a punchline at the end of TP just so loving Ganondorf could show up again.

Level Slide posted:

I forget, is Fi asleep forever or does she kind of wake up every time the Master Sword is drawn? If it's the latter, I'd imagine three timeline's worth of Demise's curse must be doing wonders for her newfound self awareness.

Should I be spoiler tagging Skyward Sword?

I don't think spoiler tags are necessary. I guess I'll add them 'cause you did, though.

I believe she says her consciousness will slowly fade away over time, so yeah, she's gone. I mean, unless you wanna say it's fading sloooooooowly and just there in all the other Zeldas, just unable to talk.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Oct 10, 2013

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Austrian mook posted:

That would be loving amazing. Like, he spends all day at the ranch doing sidequests and he keeps losing to octorocks and poo poo.

Wasting too much time on sidequests? So the true mirror Link would just be a standard Zelda player...

Truly, we were the Dark Links all along.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Renoistic posted:

Collecting bugs in TP is boring as hell, the overworld is essentially empty, and not even the dungeons are all that interesting. And having to fight those enemies you have to kill simultaneously got old after the first ten or so identical fights. And why the hell do you need to perform a song, watch a cutscene, the perform it AGAIN for it to count?

The opening part was downright pleasant compared to the rest of the game.

I never understand this complaint because the bugs are completely optional. It's like complaining about the Big Poes in OoT. You don't really have to bother with them at all unless you're completely bonkers about 100%-ing the game.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SatansBestBuddy posted:

... no they aren't? You have to collect the light bugs to restore the light guardians to get the various parts of the world out of the twilight zone. It's a hugely annoying pain because you're stuck as a wolf the entire time and the fact that you have to repeat this quest four times just makes it even more annoying.

Unless you're talking about the other bug collecting quest involving the bug girl, which is yes completely optional and also kinda fun but what I do know I like the game.

Yeah, I was talking about the latter, because the bug girl is what I always think people mean when they say "collecting" bugs.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

romanowski posted:

mad respect if dude is just trolling zelda fans though

If I have learned anything in my life about video games by reading interviews with their creators, it's that video game developers love trolling their fans.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I loving loved the Hidden Village and that little sniping minigame. The only thing that would have made it better is if I could've made Link wear a cowboy hat.

(The finding cats version can kiss my rear end though.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

morcant posted:

How was I supposed to know to walk behind a guard because apparently his peripheral vision was poo poo?

Somebody never played a Metal Gear game...

• Locked thread