Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

What did you think of the original Zelda? I still really enjoy it, especially since it's so easy to try dungeons in a different order, or get items before you're expected to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

scary ghost dog posted:

List of requests for new Zelda game:

-link is big and buff
-bring back white tights
-epona gets
a boyfriend
-Zelda is a man & link is his gay lover
-ganondorf is a thousand year old trapped in the body of a young girl

-Goron

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

RentCavalier posted:

Ah, so you've played Majora's Mask then?

Man, I completely forgot about that. I spent most of my time with either the Bunny Hood, or the Zora mask.

Then sometimes I'd put on the mask that let me lead a parade of dogs around.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I don't think anyone wants Zelda to have Dark Souls' combat or difficulty, rather a game that isn't as agressively railroaded as Twilight Princess or Skyward Sword.

Stopping the game to have a supporting character point out what you need to do, and how to do it is the complete opposite of Dark Souls' method of telling you almost nothing, but there's no reason why Nintendo can't make a game that's accessible and intuitive, as well as challenging and open. A lot of older games used clever level design to teach you the game mechanics, so just telling the player removes the fun of working things out.

I don't want just another prettied up Ocarina of Time again, when they completely fail to update the 1998 era game design.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Bring back the light and dark world concept, except the Light World looks like The Wind Waker, and the dark world looks like Twilight Princess.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Runaway Five posted:

What about this? Since prety much every Zelda is about duality (light and dark, light and shadow, past and present, sky and ground) how about this:

Pull a "Sonic Generations." The Zelda Universe already has accepted time travel as perfectly legit for 2 titles, we get Adult Realisticly Rendered Link and Cartoon Style Kid Link teaming up.

I'm not really that fond of Twilight Princesses art style, and Skyward Sword's amalgamation of Wind Waker's colour palette and TP's character models was even worse. The best style was in Majora's Mask, or at least the concept art:

If the game itself had this Killer7-style cell shading, I'd be all over it like a rash. In fact, I'd re-buy a 3DS if a remake was done like this.

In-game, the Wind Waker has an incredibly charming style, with rich colours, distinct NPCs and huge, expressive eyes on Link. Every time I hear that this game got a sequel, I get really excited, and then realise they were talking about Phantom Hourglass.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

GT4 and Tourist Trophy still ran at 632x448, but used upscaling to output at 1080i.

God of War 1 & 2 ran at 512x448, but late in the development of GoW2, the developers were able to get it running at 640x480, but didn't have enough time to properly test it. You can access it by pressing a set of buttons before the title screen. The frame rate is a little lower, and there's more screen tearing, but it's possible to play through the entire game without any problems.

E: Forgot I was in the Zelda thread :doh:

One of the Zelda games that I was never wanted to play was Spirit Tracks, because of how much I disliked Phantom Hourglass. Is is actually a good game, or does it make the same mistakes? I really disliked the touch controls, except when used for items like the boomerang, I couldn't stand the sailing, because it gives you even less control than in the Wind Waker, and I hated revisiting that dungeon, with all of its forced stealth segments.

I know that there were cheat codes that let you control Link with the d-pad for PH, so it might make me want to give it another shot.

That Fucking Sned fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Mar 2, 2013

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I got a really funky idea earlier for a DIY Wii U Wind Waker. I'm going to try it this week since my new video card should be coming in. Basically, just run Wind Waker in Dolphin in DX9 mode... with SweetFX installed. Find some good bloom and fake-HDR settings and it should look sort of similar, right? I know there's probably more at work in the real deal but a nice HD, widescreen hacked(it works pretty well for Wind Waker) version of the game with some effects layered on top could be cool.

I'd love to see the results. Game & Wario, Yarn Yoshi, Bayonetta 2, The Wonderful 101 and The Wind Waker HD are the only games I'm looking forward to getting for the WiiU, so if I could get something close with my computer and a copy of Dolphin, then I'll be able to hold out longer for a more reasonable price.

I know that this game is still being worked on, but the lighting when the characters are in shadow looks a bit off:

They seem like they're made of rubber, like some kind of parade balloon. It also doesn't appear that any of the art assets, like the environment models or textures have been updated. The water looked very strange

Also, since I'm putting off doing any actual work, here's something that stood out for me when looking for Wind Waker screenshots.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

If Majora's Mask was the sequel people were expecting, it would have been Twilight Princess. The same game all over again, but with better graphics and a few new items.

Thankfully, what we got was one of my favourite games in the series. Wind Waker was also an especially good sequel to Ocarina of Time, but for completely different reasons.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

In regards to the time limit, I watched a video yesterday that showed how different Luigi's Mansion was originally going to be, by having much more difficult mechanics, as well as a time limit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-8JDO3ZoC8

With Majora's Mask, Luigi's Mansion and Pikmin, you could see that Nintendo were experimenting with time limits in various different ways. However, I prefer the way Majora's Mask handled it, because even though I've never played the first Pikmin, I could understand how frustrating it could be to lose all your progress when you're so close to the end.

Shenmue also had a restriction on the number of in-game days that could pass, where the villain would return and kill you. It would require you to waste a spectacular amount of time, but it seems unfair for them to put it in a sandbox-esque game, especially when it's not always very clear what you need to do to advance.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

If you can answer 20 obscure Zelda trivia questions, then you can play without any hints. You only get one try.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

People fuckin' love Dark Souls and that game buries everything it tells you. You still get people complaining about it, but gently caress it, you can't please everyone; if near-universal acclaim, both critically and in gaming communities, as well as millions of copies sold for a development studio used to selling a fraction of that isn't enough proof that people want to play that kind of game, I want to know what WOULD prove it.

I wonder how you could modify the Dark Souls formula to something that's easier for children to grasp. Games like the original Legend of Zelda could get away with obtuse mechanics or secrets because it was easier to figure out by yourself. There are so many things in Dark Souls that could only be noticed by someone who's done multiple playthroughs, tried every button combination and every starting class, so the full depth of the mechanics are only understandable by someone who has a lot of time on their hands, or a strategy guide.

Zelda 1 didn't hold your hand, but it wasn't hard to figure out either. Sure, you had to enter the cave on the first screen to get your sword, but all there was to the sword combat was pressing the A button. It was figuring out how to effectively take out enemies that was the challenge. It was never too punishing either, since there was no levelling up, nothing that could kill you in one hit, and death would never make you lose much progress.

E:

Runaway Five posted:

Steering the topic back to Zelda, Nintendo just has a tough balancing act. Even though I still love Zelda despite being over 18 years old, the target audience is still somewhere between 8 to 14 year old children. They have to make the game "beatable" for these A.D.D. monsters.

I'm sure there are still just as many kids who have the patience for difficult games, it's just that it's a larger market now. The ones who give up and go back to Call of Duty aren't the type who would've even played video games back in the 80's, it's just that the market has moved from a small niche of hardcore gamers to a huge adoption of casual gamers.

That Fucking Sned fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Mar 24, 2013

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Fuligin posted:

If there's something that Zelda could borrow from the Souls games it's a sense of wonder and exploration, not the combat engine. What made Ocarina and Majora great as a kid was the sense of being let loose into a wider world with a few nudges in the right direction. They weren't difficult games by any means, but they appreciated the fact that sometimes what a kid really wants is the opportunity to get lost. By comparison Skyward Sword felt like a visit to an extremely linear theme park, one with a tour guide that would never shut the hell up. If Nintendo thinks the only good way to direct their player is to repeatedly bury them in text then that's simply bad design. I hear all this talk about child-proofing the game, but I guarantee the last thing a kid wants to do is read endless lists of instructions when they could be running around exploring.

DarkHamsterlord posted:

This is completely right. I don't think anyone wants the next Zelda to be Dark Souls 2, Dark Souls just has a better world than the last few Zelda games and the series could stand to take a more Dark Souls-like approach to world design. I think the last truly great Zelda game was Wind Waker, since then the games have been consistently mediocre, and I think a lot of that is the extremely boring world design.

You're both right that the recent games have more problems than just a lack of challenge and too many hints. There is nothing in TP or SS that compares to being let loose in Hyrule Field or Termina, where it's possible to explore where you want. Everything is so railroaded so that you always know exactly where you need to go, and that it's the only place you can go. Despite your only objective being to go to the castle, when you enter Hyrule Field in OoT, you can go to Lon Lon Ranch and get a bottle of milk and a song, go to Lake Hylia and get the silver scale through fishing, or you can go to Gerudo Valley or along the river and see that you'll need an item to progress. In a more recent game, you'd find all of these places blocked off, or trying to enter them would cause your partner to tell you that it's not where you're supposed to go.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

How is this at all different from Twilight Princess' giant shadowy barriers preventing you from going someplace? You want to go there but the game has decided you are not allowed without getting an item, which is exactly the same thing as "beat this dungeon" or "talk to this guy". You're still being managed by the game.

Functionally, it's not any different. Either way, you can't enter the area since you're not supposed to be there yet.

However, Twilight Princess' approach is incredibly lazy game design. In OoT, once you get the hookshot, you'd remember that chasm you couldn't cross before, and that it had wooden bridge supports that you could use to get across, of you'd get Epona and realise that you can now jump across the gap. A big wall saying "You can't come here yet because the plot says so" isn't a puzzle, it's just a barrier to progress.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I still don't get why the Zelda series hasn't added difficulty levels, when they've been in every Metroid game since Fusion and Prime. It's a shame that, despite having the most advanced combat in the series, Twilight Princess never puts you in real danger of dying. The only time someone who's experienced with Zelda games, or even action games in general would need to actually be good at the combat would be in the optional 100-level dungeons, which weren't even included in Skyward Sword.

I really enjoy having a new, more difficult mode to play when I want to return to a game, which can be found in The Legend of Zelda's second quest, and Ocarina of Time Master Quest. Second quest had a modified overworld and 9 brand new dungeons, along with new enemy types, such as bubbles that permanently removed your ability to use the sword, until you found a different coloured bubble that would return it, and an old man hidden in dungeons that would force you to either pay him or give up one of your heart containers permanently. Master Quest was the exact same game outside of the dungeons, but they were redesigned to require much more puzzle solving and knowledge of the game's mechanics. In OoT3D, they made this mode unlockable, and mirrored the game world along with doubling the amount of damage that enemies would do to you.

While I don't expect Nintendo to go to this much effort redesigning their dungeons for an optional difficulty mode, they could at least offer a mode with more difficult combat. Increasing the enemy count, mixing different groups of enemies together, making them more aggressive, using them for puzzle solving, making use of your items in combat more effective, etc. Zelda's combat system since Ocarina of Time has been used as the template for games like Devil May Cry and Dark Souls, so it feels quite dated compared to them since it's only been refined a little bit in each game, before being thrown out completely for Skyward Sword.

I think that the game with the best combat was The Wind Waker, despite its low difficulty. Nearly every item was effective in combat, such as the boomerang, deku leaf, grappling hook, hookshot, and bow. It had the fantastic parry system, which despite being simpler than in Twilight Princess, was more useful since it didn't need to be unlocked. It also had some challenging fights, such as in Hyrule when you restore the flow of time, the 100-floor dungeon, and any room with Wizzrobes in it.

tl;dr, there are two types of difficulty, combat and dungeons. While I enjoy more difficult dungeons, they must take a lot of time to redesign. However, combat difficulty is something that should be an option in every Zelda game, since it provides a more satisfying experience for fans of the series.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Bongo Bill posted:

It's fitting that the Zelda developers considered Ocarina of Time to be the basic template for all the subsequent games, because in narrative terms, it is basically Joseph Campbell's Monomyth in video game form, to an extent not rivaled until 2012's Journey. So closely does it adhere to what is commonly thought of as the ultimate narrative model, it fittingly became such a model for its own medium.

I've been interested in this concept for a long time now, especially since it's use in the original Star Wars. I'd like to hear what you thought about Link's character in Majora's Mask, whether he carries on his growth into maturity, or if he starts from scratch.

There isn't any guidelines for a sequel to this format, so it's interesting to see how it's handled. In The Empire Strikes Back, the focus is more on Han and Leia, who are able to develop their relationship and personalities without having the main character around. I think the character with the most development in Majora's Mask is the Skull Kid, who despite being influenced by the mask, is still just wanting to see his old friends again.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Harlock posted:

I wish they would just make a new 2D game. I didn't like Hourglass or Tracks.

I don't know if we could trust Capcom, considering how blisteringly stupid they've been recently.

Treasure? Now you're talking.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

The next Zelda game will be set in a carnival, and will require you to move a barrel in order to progress.

VVV You got it. Rather than jumping and using your momentum to move the barrel like you did previously, you're supposed to stop and press up and down at the right time, which isn't something you do to move anything else in the game.

That Fucking Sned fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Apr 6, 2013

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Sire Oblivion posted:

I don't think I've seen a single complaint about the slashing in Metal Gear Rising, it works perfectly and is incredibly easy to pick up.

Most of the complaints came from the fact that you needed to do it during the final boss fight. He throws big rocks at you, and you need to cut along the fracture to break it.

You can either aim your slash with the right analogue stick, or use the two attack buttons to do quick horizontal and vertical slashes. Since getting a Zandatsu, which involves slicing open an enemy at the right spot and crushing their spine, both fully restores your health and factors into your ranking, then you should have been doing it on pretty much every enemy you come across. It's like complaining about Mario being too slow to jump over a gap, because they didn't know about the run button.

Anyway, for a new Zelda game I'd love to have a sword combat system that's a combination of No More Heroes and Metal Gear Rising. Just button presses for the normal attacks, and use the remote for a finisher. Might be a bit gory, though.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

LoZ: Legend of Zelda

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

It took a long time for Super Mario 64 hackers to start making their own stages, and seeing that they both run on the same engine, then I'm sure it's going to be possible eventually. I thought that Master Quest was really well designed considering that the level geometry was the same, so this is going to be worth checking out.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

AASman posted:

I don't agree with this at all. Lttp and Link's Awakening got by just fine without any sort of helper character. Just show me on my map where I need to go and I can figure out the rest- you know, the part that makes Zelda games fun? Just have hints spread throughout the game and let me find them by exploring. I don't need someone by my side telling me what I'm suppose to be doing, what I'll need to do it, and what I will be doing in the future and then having a boring conversation with me.

But I did like Tatl and Midna, so...

Technically, LttP had Sahrasala, and Link's Awakening had the owl. But neither of those travel with you at all times, and just provide a hint towards your next goal.

Scrapping the helper character would have two benefits. Uninterrupted gameplay, and Link being truly alone. Metroid works fine without a helper character, and the Prime series even let you receive hints and information from the environment using the scan visor, which was almost completely optional.

In The Wind Waker, Link is alone for most of the time he's not sailing, and asking the King of Red Lions will usually only speak when spoken to. However, he can't provide information when inside dungeons, so it's not perfect.

I'd suggest removing the in-universe justification for giving the player hints. Maybe make it work like the Professor Layton series, where puzzles have tiers of hints, and you can keep spending rupees until they pretty much tell you the solution, rather than have to open GameFAQs for it. Also, a lot of RPG-type games have a big in-game FAQ, where all the tutorials and information are stored, so you can't skip past an important piece of information that's never going to be told to you again.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

The problem with both Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword is that both of them were trying to be the definitive Zelda game. The problem with this approach is that they aren't willing to deviate from the formula enough to feel like distinct games.

Compare this to Majora's Mask. Although that game had a one year development cycle, compared to Skyward Sword's five, the game featured two of the biggest gameplay changes in the series, the three day timer and the transformation masks. It didn't have Hyrule, Zelda, Gannon, the Master Sword, seven sages, three easy dungeons followed by several hard ones, it was a completely new adventure. However, due to the complexity of the game, it assumes that the player has already completed Ocarina of Time, and can adapt their playstyle to account for the flow of time and the ability to access three completely different movesets.

As long as Zelda games keep trying to return to the formula that made A Link to the Past so successful, and trying to be everyone's first Zelda game, then we're just going to be stuck with another formulaic Zelda game each generation, with some token attempt to seem unique. Skyward Sword didn't offer anything to me that hadn't been done better in previous Zelda games, and its art style was more just an attempt to sidestep photorealism than a complete embrace of the style like The Wind Waker was.

I know that a lot of kids used to modern games get frustrated when a solution isn't immediately obvious, but we were all able to enjoy the earlier games with their more difficult combat and puzzles, even though they asked a little more from the player. There's no point in me playing a Zelda game if I can do the combat blindfolded and all the puzzles are made so obvious.

This is a pretty comprehensive review of Skyward Sword, which demonstrates a lot of its flaws in comparison to previous Zelda games:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qAjK7wd5QE

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Don't worry, Platinum Games is here for your "incomprehensible gameplay" needs. I died so many times in Vanquish to a QTE with no explanation of how it worked, fuckers! :argh:

What stage was that in? The only QTE's I remember are mash buttons, spin stick, and press left or right. You can press all the face buttons at once to make it easier, and you can use either analogue stick for the spinning ones.

Anyway, there's an easy way to stop yourself running out of time in a dungeon in Majora's Mask. Once you access the owl statue at the entrance of the dungeon, you should reset time and start it with a fresh cycle.

I also don't understand why people act like all their progress is undone with each reset. Once you complete a sidequest or a dungeon, you keep the reward for it, even if you turn back time. It's like getting upset that an NPC in an MMO asks you to collect 10 bear asses, and after a while he resets and wants those asses again. You've already got the reward, it doesn't matter to you any more.

If you feel bad about it, there is a way to complete every sidequest in a single cycle, and if you finish the game at the end then you've solved everyone's problems. Being able to accept that you fail to save the world over and over again is one of Majora's Mask's strongest points.

E:

Lurdiak posted:

He didn't rip enough on how awful grinding for items to use to upgrade equipment is and how obnoxious having a damage meter for your shield is, but overall he's right. It really is the worst 3D Zelda for a bunch of little obnoxious reasons (as opposed to one big one).

Motion controls. It's the worst thing to ever happen to combat in Zelda games. It could be as good as Devil May Cry, Dark Souls or Dragon's Dogma, which all take inspiration from it, but it still hasn't improved much since Ocarina of Time.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

I don't know anything about how Dragon's Dogma plays, but Zelda can't have combat as good as action games like Devil May Cry, Dark Souls, or Ninja Gaiden unless Nintendo is willing to go all out and make Zelda really challenging.

Skyward Sword had issues, but I think it did have the best combat (and boss fights) out of any 3D Zelda since the N64 games.

They're able to have much higher skill ceilings because their combat systems are so diverse, responsive and fluid. You may have a point with Dark Souls, which wouldn't really work with a low difficulty level, but Devil May Cry games often feature enough difficulty settings that even a brand new player can make it through without a problem.

Besides, complexity does not directly correlate to difficulty. The first Zelda game has only one sword attack, which stops Link in place and can only be done in one of four directions. Clearing a room full of Darknuts with the sword is very challenging, due to the need to predict their movement and change your positioning accordingly.

The problem with combat in Zelda games is that once you figure out the strategy, it's trivial to kill almost any enemy in the game without taking damage. The most challenging enemy in Ocarina of Time, the Darknut, just requires you to move close, wait for it to attack, back off, then jump slash. You never fight more than two at once, and since it's possible to activate one by itself, then there's no additional difficulty.

I understand that a child may not want to face difficult segments that require them to learn enemy patterns or the limits of the combat system, but that's why a single difficulty setting can't please everyone. Just doubling the amount of damage enemies do in 3D's Master Quest doesn't solve anything, it just means I actually have to use my fairies.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I should make a .gif of that one part in the Matthewmatosis review, where he he attacks a moblin three times, and gets blocked each time. They can only block in one of four directions, but they can instantly switch to another direction mid-swing, quicker than you can react. This even happens with the more deadly ones with stun rods, so it's complete luck whether you can kill the enemy without taking damage.

You might as well just swing the remote in any direction, if the game isn't going to let you land a correct hit. As Sire Oblivion said, there's nothing in the motion controls that couldn't be done better and with more accuracy and faster response with a regular controller. Metal Gear Rising's blade mode was extremely enjoyable for me, especially when I was able to perform a Zandatsu within a split-second. It's possible to use blade mode in a way very similar to Skyward Sword, where you can walk about and slash in whichever direction you want, but that's more for messing about with the destructible environment than for actual combat.

You don't need motion controls to pull this off.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

haveblue posted:

I'm not saying I disagree with you but that gif is a bad example because he obviously pressed the "slash horizontally" button rather than using the stick.

Actually, I used the analogue stick. I never use the buttons unless I want to slice an enemy into the most number of parts.

ImpAtom posted:

... Yes? Because all that is is a horizontal slash (the default positioning when you start Blade Mode) during a sequence where time is slowed down dramatically and all the enemies are incapable of moving? What the hell is even your point? They're not even remotely the same thing. The only two significant "you have to hit the enemy in this way" things in MGR are Sundowner and Armstrong and you can go to the MGR thread to see plenty of people discussing the trouble they had with those guys.

The default position doesn't matter, since you need to move the analogue stick to make a slash anyway. Also, the problems people had stemmed from either using the buttons for blade mode exclusively, or thought you needed to follow through with your slash, when just releasing the analogue stick is enough. Shame this game doesn't have Fi to endlessly explain this sort of thing.

E: There are certain enemies in the game that have left arms you can collect. They need to be chopped off while they're still alive, and cutting them incorrectly means you can't recover them. It is also possible to do a no-kill run, by disabling enemies by incapacitating them, such as cutting off their legs. They'll activate stealth camo, and effectively be removed from the battlefield.

That Fucking Sned fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jun 9, 2013

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

They removed the Wind Waker repeating the song, so everything it does now takes half the time. This was one of the things that was brought up in the video review.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Groose can have the bit in the middle of the Triforce.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

You could pay Tingle to free the slaves he keeps on Tingle island, I guess. It's like Pleasure Island in Pinocchio, something that's left unresolved.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

There's a boss rush too, like Skyward Sword. I wish there was an option to not have Master Quest mirrored, though. It's like the PAL version of Luigi's Mansion, where the second quest is made more annoying by it.

E: VVV If a game's going to have cutscenes, they had better be skippable. Even though you have to wait a few minutes for OoT's unskippable intro to finish, at least you can get to the first dungeon within five minutes and actually get to play the game you bought.

Games used to need clever level design or intuitive controls to teach the player, but now you can just stop the player in their tracks to tell them something they might know already or could have easily figured out, that kind of elegant design isn't required any more.

If Miyamoto made Star Wars, the prequels would've had a 30 minute opening scrawl.

That Fucking Sned fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Aug 13, 2013

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

deadwing posted:

So Wind Waker HD is just a lazy cash-in, Nintendo didn't even redo the music.

Or wait a second...

Both the Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy HD Collections have remastered music, in addition to having two games and a ton of bonus content.

Still, it sounds quite a bit better, although I'd like to hear what they did to the boss battle music since The Wind Waker had some of the best in the series.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I'd love to play through Twilight Princess again if there was some way I could just do the dungeons, and with much harder combat. Every time I try to replay it, I get about an hour into the game, put it down, and forget about it for a long time.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

Not being able to sumo wrestle in a huge tournament for prizes later in the game was the single biggest letdown in Twilight Princess. It really does feel like they ran out of dev time on the game in some parts.

The final opponent would be a Zora. How can you wrestle someone who just slips out of your grasp?

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

In Link's Awakening, the game would sometimes talk directly to the player, as was often pretty funny and self-referential too. OK, there was that owl, but if the game had something important to tell you, then it would just tell you.

Maybe they could have the next game set in a storybook, and have the narrator be an actual character, like Bastion or the recent Winnie the Pooh movie?

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Professor Wayne posted:

The only complaint I have the music is very Game Boy beep boop.

Oh is it now? :colbert:

I actually prefer the original Game Boy music of Pokemon Gold and Silver over the rearranged DS soundtracks, although it's hard to explain why. With Super Mario All-Stars, I'm fine with either the NES or SNES versions of the music, but with the SNES Dragon Quest remakes, the remixed music is fantastic.

Chiptunes are really good unless they're used for the right sort of music, but in a lot of cases they can sound really grating, although I wouldn't say that any of Nintendo's games have that issue.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Momomo posted:

I just kind of assumed the encore for playing the song was only removed for the Wind's Requium, since you're using it so often. You barely use any of the other songs more than a few times, so keeping them is fine.

You use the possession song a ton of times in three of the dungeons, so this should speed that up.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Little fixes won't make Twilight Princess any less of a dull, unmemorable slog. It's also very linear and fenced off, so there's no way to explore the world at your own pace like in Majora's Mask or The Wind Waker.

I can't see anyone being nostalgic for it, especially when the latest game was very similar in a lot of aspects, although with a different art style and another attempt at using motion controls. I can't even say that Skyward Sword was better at that, since they decided to use the Motion Plus gyroscope for aiming, rather than the normal pointer. The pointer's the best and most reliable part of the Wii's motion controls, so I don't know why they changed it to something that required you to recalibrate every so often. Apart from aiming with the bow in Twilight Princess, neither game uses motion controls as well as Pikmin or Resident Evil 4, and they weren't even designed for it in the first place.

Maybe if you could start up the game, walk out of your house and run to anywhere you want in Hyrule, I might actually get through a second playthrough. I can't stand being dripfed new areas because the game can't stand to have me explore off the beaten path.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

One of the problems is that if a dungeon item isn't useless outside of its dungeon, then it means that there will be some items that require it for exploration. Then, there's no reason to explore every nook and cranny until you've beaten everything but the last dungeon, so you won't have to keep track of what you still need to get.

It's why I actually like the Triforce hunt in The Wind Waker, since you need to explore the world anyway, but you have everything you need at that point to do it thoroughly. You can still explore off the beaten path before that point, though, but it's still really satisfying to sweep across the world, filling in the map squares, and getting every piece of heart.

I feel like the items which have no utility in fighting outside of their dungeon are the ones people say are useless, as Zelda is so combat-heavy. Stuff like the boomerang is a combat item which also solves puzzles. Useful! Stuff like the hookshot is a puzzle-solving item which can also be used decently in combat! Versatile!

The spinner is a doodad you stand on which does nothing if you're not on a track.

Nearly all of the items in The Wind Waker are useful in combat, even the Deku Leaf. The grappling hook isn't really an offensive item, but it's great for stealing items off enemies.

That Fucking Sned fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Sep 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

TwoPair posted:

I hate to kill your nostalgia, but Wind Waker is pretty fenced off for the first part of the game. You try straying too much from the path of gettin' them jewels and King of Red Lions will shut your rear end right down. It just seems way more open, because, you know, ocean.

The Wind Waker still gives you a lot more freedom even before the game properly opens up. I could start the Pictobox quest when I first visit windfall island, visit Tingle to get the Tingle Tuner, go to the auction house etc. The game also gets you into the first dungeon pretty quickly, Forsaken Fortress, and the dungeon in Dragon Roost island isn't long after that. The opening hours of Twilight Princess mostly involve finding cutscene triggers and doing busywork for the villagers, and I'm dying to get this over with so I can actually start playing the game.

Even things like the combat tutorials are much more arduous in Twilight Princess, because even though they teach you the same techniques in the same way, there's so much superfluous dialogue between each move that it feels like it's treating you like an idiot. They even make you go through tutorials for fishing, using the slingshot, and riding the horse, which weren't given to you in previous games until you actually needed to use them.

• Locked thread