Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

My personal views are also well-summarized by racist caricatures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Ocarina of Time: Let's make a prequel to LttP!
Wind Waker: Let's make a sequel to OoT that contradicts LttP!
Twilight Princess: Let's make another sequel to OoT that contradicts WW and LttP!

And that's the story of the three timelines.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

List of Zelda game demands:
-Link can be girl
-Lives in cool swamp (?)
-Mechagohma is a boss (Gohma but with TRON lights all over him)
-Thoughtful exploration of Gerudo politics and the question of isolationism in the context of a single-sex society
-Smooth saxophone rendition of Zelda's Lullaby

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Man, we could have had devil Jesus or pimp Jesus or monster squid head Jesus, but instead we got the personification of Gay Panic.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

No, Skyward Sword was trying to do literally the extreme opposite of that. Nothing was interconnected, let alone open or labyrinthine.

In my view, the ideal 3D Zelda overworld is a lot like the Shadow of the Colossus overworld, except populated with enemies, towns, and dungeons.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The game does kind of train you into a bad habit by having Link casually hold the sword whichever way you hold the remote. This creates the false impression that you should start your swing where you want Link to start his swing.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The "Zelda fans are never satisfied" argument is always cute until you realize it's not all of the same people complaining about all of the Zelda games.

I liked Wind Waker and Twilight Princess. I hated Phantom Hourglass and Skyward Sword. Whoa, watch out, I'm the guy you can't satisfy.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Even if you feel that there needs to be a degree of guidance, Skyward Sword has inexcusable levels of handholding. Fi never stops explaining what it means when you get low on hearts, even though there's already a beeping alarm for that. Fi stops the game to tell you that you've entered the forest, even though you can already see the drat trees and hear the forest music. Fi stops the game to tell you the solutions to puzzles before you've even had a chance to have a look at them.

Weirdly, the one thing that the game actually should explain (that your sword swing direction has nothing to do with your hand's starting position) is never explicitly explained at all.

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Mar 23, 2013

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I don't know how you could remotely claim that, say, Phantom Hourglass feels anything like Link to the Past. It's completely untrue.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I love how wall-Link's design is based on the art from the Wind Waker prologue.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The Mario series has had a homogenous style developed with standardized character models that have been around since the Gamecube era, but basically every other franchise has been allowed to shift wildly from game to game (and the RPG Mario games get to have their own look/models as well).

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I feel doing a simple role-reversal is a superficial way to go about it, and the "Calatia" setting and "Prince Link" rub me the wrong way. For a female protagonist, I think it would fit way better with the current mythos to go with the idea that "Link" can be anyone of either sex who shows superlative courage.

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Apr 19, 2013

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I don't think the motion controls really worked well in concept OR execution.

Pretty much every enemy worked in the same fundamental way: it would indicate which way you'd need to swing, and if you did that quickly enough and enough times, it would die. Not especially exciting.

Almost all of the challenge emerged from the question "Will the software and hardware interpret my swing direction correctly?" For me, it regularly did not.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Bongo Bill posted:

Ideally, you can just voluntarily refrain from pressing the hint button. Granted, that doesn't appear to be an option when discussing Zelda games specifically.

Yeah, if that's how Skyward Sword worked, then that'd be cool and would bump the game up at least one point on my 1-10 scale. As it is, Fi often automatically stops the game to tell you dumb obvious poo poo, and in other cases will make this little alert noise/signal that won't go away until you ask her to tell you dumb obvious poo poo.

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jun 2, 2013

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Strange Matter posted:

That's actually fascinating. I'd put money on one of them being the Temple of Time from Twilight Princess. That dungeon felt like a Wind Waker dungeon.

The Temple of Time felt to me like it was actually supposed to be the same place as the Tower of the Gods, just in a different era/timeline.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I am a staunch advocate of female Link, but Zelda would be cool as long as it's nothing like that Aaron Diaz concept where she just wears Link clothes and does Link things.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

To me, playable Zelda should mean applying the things we know about Zelda to a gameplay context- wisdom as her primary character trait, plenty of magic use, the ability from SSB to electrocute people with her shoes, etc.

If the idea is female Link, then just have Link sometimes be a girl/woman. I like the message that Link can be anyone who shows significant courage.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

jivjov posted:

While I understand the appeal, why is it such a huge deal? You're not supposed to be playing yourself, you're playing as Link. I wholeheartedly agree that in games in which you create an avatar to represent yourself in the game world, the game should accommodate males, females, blacks, asians, etc, etc. But Link has always been the elf-boy-esque pointy eared protagonist. Even if its ostensibly different Links through the timeline, he's pretty much the same character.

No, Link isn't this kind of character at all, which is evidenced by the fact that his personality is limited as much as possible, he never speaks, and he varies significantly in his different incarnations. Link is a lot more like a costume than a person.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The 25th Anniversary Symphony probably makes the possible case in favour of a Zelda film.

Opening exposition/mythology sequence
Link chilling in some idyllic village
Riding out to the climactic battle
Victory and end credits

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I actually suspect the Temple of Time from TP was likely NOT a refurbished Wind Waker dungeon, because it seems like it was supposed to be the Tower of the Gods in a different era.

It's very possible that the reused dungeons ended up being done in a different style than originally intended for WW, anyway, keeping only the layout and mechanics.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

To me, a good vibrant palette requires some restraint and contrast, and that's why I like how WWHD dials down the saturation a little and blends colours more.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

My favourite thing about WWHD's graphics might be the improved skyboxes. The colouring is so painterly. Rather than a flat powdery blue in the daytime, you have a nice deep cyan tinged with gold on the horizon, with the clouds and distant islands blending in nicely. And the Forsaken Fortress segments look amazing now, swapping out the navy blues and flat greys for a gorgeous dark teal sky that pairs wonderfully with the gold searchlights.

The original flat colours may have been more saturated, but without this level of texture and variance they definitely weren't as vibrant.

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Sep 13, 2013

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

LividLiquid posted:

Is Link's "Come on!" The first words we've heard him speak in a Zelda game aside from things like SHHYYYEEEEAHHH!

He doesn't actually say "Come on", though, it's just a gibberish noise.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Nah, there's a V sound instead of an M sound in the middle, and it doesn't end with an N sound.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I love the idea that one can just dig into some SNES code, tweak it to account for a higher resolution, and pop in some larger sprites. It's a very magical, fanciful view of technology.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Alex WS posted:

Anybody playing Wind Waker in Hero Mode? Is it a good challenge or just a frustrating exercise in backtracking to fill up your health? Getting the game tomorrow and unsure of what to mode to go for.

The game's not really tuned around it, so it starts out as kind of a pain in the rear end, and then gradually gets easier as you get more heart containers.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Twilight Princess was on the right track for the ideal 3D Zelda overworld; it just needed to be more populated and less corridor-y.

I'm still waiting for a Zelda game that replicates the vibrant feel of the LttP overworld in 3D.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I'm someone who's quite happy to point out how sexist and racist, for example, the presentation of the Gerudo in OOT is. But getting bogged down in the bits about animal domestication and class warfare is just goofy business.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

SSB games don't usually seem to have content from unreleased or brand new games. There'll be the odd exception here and there, but usually they reach back a generation for character designs and stages.

And popularity is a factor for how characters are represented. The adult representations of Link- OOT, TP, Skyward Sword- seem to be the most popular among fans.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Aonuma is probably not going to outright say "A large proportion of players were insulted by the excessive handholding in Skyward Sword and irritated by its constantly interruptive nature".

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The Wind Temple is the worst of all 3D Zelda dungeons, and also the Molgera theme is the one song in the game that sounds worse remastered for the HD version.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I think there's a couple lines in Wind Waker indicating that the Great Sea is a barren ocean, so maybe it was so inhospitable undersea that the Zora had to move to land.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I like to think that the Gerudo as seen in OoT are an aberration, primarily the result of some idiotic policy on the part of Ganondorf.

Like, what if they're normally all chill and have good relationships with neighbouring regions so they can actually reproduce, Hyrulean dads stay with their Gerudo families, everything's nice... and then some idiot kid comes of age, gets coronated, and decides it's time to go all isolationist. And then by the next game in the timeline they've died off.

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Nov 18, 2013

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I don't think the assumption really relates to the construction workers. I think it's more the fact that Hyrulean men in general are scared of Gerudo.

I mean, you'd think that if Gerudo ladies were propagating their race by dropping into Castle town for some one-night stands at the inn, the resident dudes would be less fearful about the whole situation.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Water in general makes for horrible gameplay. Yeah, I'd like to jump into this substance that massively reduces the speed and precision of all my movement, sounds like a blast.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I feel like LBW was a chance to get back in touch with a style of Zelda game that they haven't really worked with in a long time. Yeah, they leaned hard on LttP to do it, but I hope that its design characteristics do end up informing the next console entry.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

MST is my favourite type of OoT run because the optimal route to get it done is absolutely nuts. In general I enjoy runs with special parameters that the runner has to plan a clever/unusual route through.

But there's no wrong conditions to set for a speedrun! The skips in Any% runs can be really ingenious.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Twilight Princess Link is great because he's like the cool big brother to all the little kids. He's kinda a dumb doof but he's got heart, and Midna is around anyway to be smart for him.

I can't remember any distinguishing aspects of Skyward Sword Link, except for that game's creepy fixation on sexual purity. Uh oh Link, gotta make sure that ~dumb jock~ doesn't get any alone time with Zelda. Uh oh Link, gotta protect Zelda from that flamboyant deviant anime man. Watch her shrieking and writhing helplessly in her plain white dress! Rescue her by testing the might of your erect penis skyward sword against Akuma's!

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

DarkHamsterlord posted:

Alternative explanation: a love triangle between the male lead, female lead, and the jock rival is a cliche in every teenage romance story ever, and protecting the female lead from the main villain is a cliche in every adventure story ever, and you're really weird for getting all this sexual purity stuff from it.

Hmmm, it's almost like variations on the exact same subtext deeply permeate a lot of our culture!

This game in particular just lays it on much thicker than most media does, with its iconography and with the repetition/escalation of that protective motif. It only takes a cursory examination to see. If anyone thinks I've been spending hours on developing this reading, they don't need to fret because it's all pretty close to the surface of the narrative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Chaltab posted:

I think I played a different Skyward Sword than Supercar Gautier because in my version it was Zelda who protected Link from Groose.

Well, the entire bird race segment focuses heavily on stopping Groose from getting alone time with Zelda through his jock trickery. Groose is written as a disruptor to the proper order of Link courting Zelda under Gaepora's fatherly approval.

But hey, sometimes a screaming barefoot girl in a white dress having her soul sucked out by an effeminate vampiresque man is just a screaming barefoot girl in a white dress having her soul sucked out by an effeminate vampiresque man.

• Locked thread