Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Latest update includes updated AI that seems to do a better job trying to evade the player, and also more voice stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IHjz0MAD9I

From the video description:

quote:

I rewrote the AI!

TL;DR: These improvements will make YOUR experience with the combat more interesting. The AI react much better to you, to each other, and to communications, making for a more immersive experience.

Long Version:

Some of the feedback I've received has been about the AI, and how it could be more interesting. That feedback was spot on. The old AI was some weird combination of state machines and goals as I was first learning how to write it. There was no sensory system or target prioritization outside of "choose the closest enemy that I am allowed to." You saw this during head on passes between flights, where all members would prioritize the frontmost enemy. It looked pretty bad!

Well, that's no more. The AI now use something called behavior trees and have proper sensory systems and target prioritization. They also have a variable called danger, which is just a number boiled down from people shooting in their direction, enemy proximity (and facing), and special cases like missile proximity. If a fighter is in danger long enough, they panic. They also understand how to use afterburners like you do.

You should also notice the AI being more chatty. I wrote a new combat dialogue system that handles variants a lot better, meaning that if possible it won't repeat lines. There are also both local and global cooldowns for line types, letting me tune the chattiness. They also won't talk over each other unless I specifically say it's cool (like for a death scream).

I apologize that I only have one voice right now (mine), which makes it more confusing than it will be. Look for the subtitles and the HUD marker "(O)" to better see who's speaking ("ECHO" is you).

Hooked into the behavior tree, I can do all sorts of special case stuff. Like, when an AI evades, he will tell his flight members. But if he's the only one left, he gets a little more aggressive and taunts the enemy (for example, "Come on you bastard!" is spoken around 0:59). He will also ask for help if he panics, and any squad member that can attack his aggressor will let him know to hang in there.

Sorry these are generally the same assets I've had for a while. I've been working on NEW units and weapons too, so expect those in an upcoming video. I am working toward a combat test using the Unity web browser plugin that will probably be nothing more than a Firefight-style last stand mode where I keep spawning enemy fighters until you die. No date on that, but it's squarely in my sights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The game itself sounds awesome, but count me among the "I hope the graphics are going to get an overhaul" crowd. I may have grown up in the early 80s when stick people and tiny color blobs were state of the art, and I'm not usually a person to require crazy good grahpics to enjoy a game.

But those don't look simplistic. They look lazy. But in my head, it pretty much screams "quick and dirty assets for design and testing", and if that is the case then I'm not worried at all. Freespace mixed with Homeworld seems like a perfect combination.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

This looks a lot like a faster paced Starshatter with a bit of Homeworld's art direction. This is an awesome thing. I don't really mind the graphics so much, but I do hope the ships end up fairly detailed.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
The game is starting to look slightly prettier:

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

drat, that is looking really nice. I read in his blog that he does want some big ships as well so I am starting to get really interested in this project.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
I hope he has some sort of beta we can put money on, I'd totally support it. I hope that there will be some sort of co-op, I totally digged that in Star Wars X-Wing Alliance.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Awwww yeaahhhh

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I need this game.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Yay, he is going for a sort of Homeworld style simple/colorful texturing with gratuitous early 80s scifi stripes.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Wow, this looks really good! Its exactly what i wanted back when playing Homeworld Cataclysm.

Loving that homeworld vibe, hope he keeps sharpening up the looks because i always preferred this "space is an ocean" / "Space is not very empty and very, very glowly" aesthetic. :3:

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Here's another rad gif from this game.

Mike Tipul ‏@tipul posted:

Capital wreckage makes for good cover and terrain variation if it sticks around. Hopefully I can maintain framerate!

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
Each update I see for this game makes me more excited.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

god I wish there were a million videos and pictures of this game I could pour over for hours so I had more things to say about this game :stare:

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Chalk me up as another person absolutely slavering at the sight of this game. Also, at the risk of prolonging an already tired debate, one who likes very much how it looks so far. Hell, I'd love it if it actually did take place in the Flotilla universe, with Rasta Cats and fascist antelopes. I hope it sins more on the side of smooth shading than greebles everywhere. But seeing as how the discussion here seems torn between the two, I don't see anything keeping the dev from allowing mods which would at least allow the possibility for players to express their own style choices.

Putting that away for a moment, I take it this is single player only? Because I would throw about twice the money at this game if I could force my friends to play it with me.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
As always, heavily WIP:

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

TychoCelchuuu posted:

As always, heavily WIP:

.gifs

Homeworld carrier bays, Freespace explosions, I can't even.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Did the HUD get a bit more refined/detailed more recently? It looks like it is providing more information than it used to.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Looks unchanged from the OP screenshots to me.

TychoCelchuuu fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Mar 28, 2013

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

ghetto wormhole posted:

Homeworld carrier bays, Freespace explosions, I can't even.

Now all we need are the capital-class laser weapons from Freespace 2*, and... well, if there isn't a Donate button on the website (can't check at work), there should be. Mike Tipul, I want to give you some money.

I like how the paragraph in the OP makes the story (as much as it exists, anyway) sound like the WH40K Imperium in the times of the Great Crusades. FOR THE EMPRAH :black101:

* Has to have the right sound effects, though. Hell, just steal them straight from FS2, I sure wouldn't mind.

rrrrrRRRBERRRRRRRRRRRRRrrrr

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Mar 28, 2013

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Are the gifs coming from his twitter feed?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

doctorfrog posted:

Are the gifs coming from his twitter feed?
Yes. Every time he tweets it brightens my day. With explosions.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Speaking of "do these show up anywhere other than twitter," he just posted an update on the game's progress including information about lead reticles, which features this picture:

(Plus the other pictures. So, don't fear - even if you stop reading this thread, you don't have to keep up on twitter to learn about progress._

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Speaking of "do these show up anywhere other than twitter," he just posted an update on the game's progress including information about lead reticles, which features this picture:

(Plus the other pictures. So, don't fear - even if you stop reading this thread, you don't have to keep up on twitter to learn about progress._

I like that style of lead reticle - his reasoning for it is exactly what I thought it would be; it increases the visual focus on the target, rather than on an arbitrary point in space in front of the target.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Mar 28, 2013

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Are those supposed to be nebula/gas clouds in the backgrounds of those GIFs? With the sunset-like orange coloring it would almost seem like atmospheric flight, if it weren't for the stellar objects in the backgrounds.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

That seems like a really backwards way of having lead reticles work, at least compared to other games. I don't think it is a bad thing necessarily, but it does make my brain hurt a little just out of unfamiliarity.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Zaodai posted:

That seems like a really backwards way of having lead reticles work, at least compared to other games. I don't think it is a bad thing necessarily, but it does make my brain hurt a little just out of unfamiliarity.

Honestly I took one look at it and thought 'that's loving genius, why aren't other games allowing that?' Maybe it's just brain wiring, but seeing it as 'where your weapons are going to go at this distance from your target' as opposed to the more standard 'aim here to hit if the enemy doesn't jink' makes it much easier for me to visualize where I want to be moving.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Ciaphas posted:

Are those supposed to be nebula/gas clouds in the backgrounds of those GIFs? With the sunset-like orange coloring it would almost seem like atmospheric flight, if it weren't for the stellar objects in the backgrounds.
I think they're placeholder art for nebulae. That at least would be my best guess. Orange is just stylization, presumably - like in Homeworld and Flotilla, both of which had orange space.

Zaodai posted:

And by "really backwards" you must mean "better than every game that has ever been made and so smart and good that any game that doesn't use the same style in the future is needlessly shooting itself in the foot" and yes I agree. But unlike you, unfamiliarity does not make my brain hurt. It makes my brain happy.

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I really dig this reticle style. Hope he keeps it in like that.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

And by "really backwards" you must mean "better than every game that has ever been made and so smart and good that any game that doesn't use the same style in the future is needlessly shooting itself in the foot" and yes I agree. But unlike you, unfamiliarity does not make my brain hurt. It makes my brain happy.

Well if you want to be a smug dick about it, sure.

I would say it is more likely that I've shot enough guns in real life (though admittedly not at spaceships) that I'm used to having to lead a target with my sights, not have my focus pulled away from them. So to my brain, it is completely backwards.

[EDIT] And just to reiterate, I never said it was a BAD system. I said it wasn't easily adaptable for me, personally. I didn't make any demands it be changed, or act like I was speaking for everyone.

Zaodai fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Mar 28, 2013

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
The excellent BSG flight sim Diaspora also used that reticle style, and I imagine they drew on the same inspiration - it's a gunsight mode used in modern fighter aircraft.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Zaodai posted:

Well if you want to be a smug dick about it, sure.

I would say it is more likely that I've shot enough guns in real life (though admittedly not at spaceships) that I'm used to having to lead a target with my sights, not have my focus pulled away from them. So to my brain, it is completely backwards.

[EDIT] And just to reiterate, I never said it was a BAD system. I said it wasn't easily adaptable for me, personally. I didn't make any demands it be changed, or act like I was speaking for everyone.
You do still have to lead the target with your sights. This just adds a lead indicator that shows where your shots will land, if you're curious.

General Battuta posted:

The excellent BSG flight sim Diaspora also used that reticle style, and I imagine they drew on the same inspiration - it's a gunsight mode used in modern fighter aircraft.
I knew I had seen it somewhere before! It makes so much sense that it's surprising more than Diaspora + real life fighters haven't caught on. Normal lead indicators suck because you can't keep your eye on the target to figure out where it's heading next - you just have to chase the lead around.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

You do still have to lead the target with your sights. This just adds a lead indicator that shows where your shots will land, if you're curious.

I knew I had seen it somewhere before! It makes so much sense that it's surprising more than Diaspora + real life fighters haven't caught on. Normal lead indicators suck because you can't keep your eye on the target to figure out where it's heading next - you just have to chase the lead around.

I know. Conceptually, I understand what the sight is doing. I'm sure in time, I'll get used to doing it this way. I'll just have to retrain my brain to work that way. Alternately, if there is an option to turn the lead indicator off entirely and just have to deal with manual aiming, I'd totally be down for that. WW2 in space! :v:

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Zaodai posted:

I know. Conceptually, I understand what the sight is doing. I'm sure in time, I'll get used to doing it this way. I'll just have to retrain my brain to work that way. Alternately, if there is an option to turn the lead indicator off entirely and just have to deal with manual aiming, I'd totally be down for that. WW2 in space! :v:

They had lead indicators in WW2 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyro_gunsight :eng101:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

What I'm trying to figure out is what the two ladders on the HUD mean. One might be range and the other speed, hard to tell.

[edit] Also I loving love that gunsight method and wish more games used it. The only games I can think of that do are Diaspora, as mentioned, and Ace Combat.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Mar 28, 2013

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

What I'm trying to figure out is what the two ladders on the HUD mean. One might be range and the other speed, hard to tell.

[edit] Also I loving love that gunsight method and wish more games used it. The only games I can think of that do are Diaspora, as mentioned, and Ace Combat.

Looks to me like the left is some kind of galactic center (a reference plane? astronomers give me the right term), the right one is distance to target in meters?

timn
Mar 16, 2010
While the idea for the lead indicator is cool in theory, I think it will be frustrating to use in practice.

Notice how the location of the indicator relative to your cross-hair floats around. You have to mentally manage three variables at once now: the direction of your ship, the position of the enemy on the screen, and the position of the lead indicator on the screen. You're steering your ship to try to nudge this floating green circle on top of the enemy, rather than just pointing your cross-hairs at a moving lead indicator. It seems backwards because it's adding an unnecessary layer of abstraction to whole thing.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
It's a lot easier to hit an evasive target by knowing where your shots are going to go than it is by aiming at him using his current trajectory IMO.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

timn posted:

While the idea for the lead indicator is cool in theory, I think it will be frustrating to use in practice.

Notice how the location of the indicator relative to your cross-hair floats around. You have to mentally manage three variables at once now: the direction of your ship, the position of the enemy on the screen, and the position of the lead indicator on the screen. You're steering your ship to try to nudge this floating green circle on top of the enemy, rather than just pointing your cross-hairs at a moving lead indicator. It seems backwards because it's adding an unnecessary layer of abstraction to whole thing.

In practice it's not that bad. It works really well during close pursuit when you're trying to make the same turns as your target. I've spent years and years with flight sims that use the classic lead indicator model and I had no trouble swapping over (and back).

timn
Mar 16, 2010

ghetto wormhole posted:

It's a lot easier to hit an evasive target by knowing where your shots are going to go than it is by aiming at him using his current trajectory IMO.

Assuming you can keep up when the targeting response to your control input isn't instantly predictable. To me it looks like the difference between pushing a coin around with a stick and actually putting your finger on it and moving it where you want it to go.

Maybe muscle memory and practice helps to compensate, but when I imagine dropping this system into a game like Freespace with very quick and erratic enemies it becomes an exercise in frustration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

timn posted:

Assuming you can keep up when the targeting response to your control input isn't instantly predictable. To me it looks like the difference between pushing a coin around with a stick and actually putting your finger on it and moving it where you want it to go.

Maybe muscle memory and practice helps to compensate, but when I imagine dropping this system into a game like Freespace with very quick and erratic enemies it becomes an exercise in frustration.

I wish you'd read my post. I have literally spent hours playing a game on the FreeSpace engine with quicker and more erratic enemies than FreeSpace and this type of gunsight works fine (better, maybe - it certainly seemed to make it easier to get shots on Raiders). It wasn't difficult to make the switch, or too hard to switch back.

Shame on you for not playing that excellent game, too! (And even if you still disagree with me you can just go give it a shot there).

• Locked thread