Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

Hi Kairo, I sent you a Pm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Hah, I wondered if you were a TTA fan. I still have my copy of Spacewreck that I from asking the librarian at my gradeschool if I could keep it when I saw it in a stack of old books that were about to be tossed due to wear/age. Stewart Cowley, Peter Elson, Chris Foss, and similar artists are the best sci-fi art. :allears:

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
I'd just like to say that I'm willing to throw money at you if you decide to kickstart this.

Lots of money.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I normally hate paying for beta versions of games, but seriously. I will pay almost any amount of dollars for this game. That is how loving desperate I am for another good space game :catstare: :pcgaming:

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

Thanks guys, if I could find a good way to handle patching and accounts I would love to do something where it's cheaper to buy in earlier on. Sort of how Mount & Blade and Minecraft worked. It keeps the price fair for what you're getting and helps me out by getting people's eyes on it. Win/win all around.

I'm not aware of any patching solutions for Unity other than M2HPatcher, or if any non-Unity patcher would work too. I'm going to do more research. Ahhh, the joys of doing this on your own. :)

I'd love to get in on Steam's Early Access roster but I need some more historic missions/polish for it to be worth it for them.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
This is such an interesting project. It touches on many of my favorite concepts, especially mission planning. I spent so many hours in the Rainbow Six planner fiddling with the smallest details that it's sort of gross.

When this reaches the testing/preview phase I'll definitely cover it on the front page. We're not exactly GameSpot but this seems like something our readers would enjoy.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

My google-fu is pretty weak at work, can anyone tell me what Unity is? A development framework of some sort?

(edit) vv thanks, I'll give it a look when I get home.

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 01:14 on May 3, 2013

Micr0chiP
Mar 17, 2007
Yes

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

This is such an interesting project. It touches on many of my favorite concepts, especially mission planning. I spent so many hours in the Rainbow Six planner fiddling with the smallest details that it's sort of gross.

Likewise, my excitement for this project is probably equally gross. The artstyle and recent poster just pull all the right strings.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

Kairo posted:

Hey guys, HaydenP said I should stop lurking and post so here I am!

Thanks for checking out the game. I take everyone's feedback (good and especially bad) pretty seriously, so thanks for telling me what you think. To answer a couple questions:

• No multiplayer (at least for 1.0). I wish. I soooo wish. I do some pretty heinous stuff to the Unity engine to get these large distances to work well with floating point error. I know it's been solved in other places like X-Wing vs. TIE, Allegiance, and even FS2 but it's just me and I'm not even a very good programmer.
  • Yes, graphics are simple and often suck but I'm still working on core gameplay. It does me no good to spend a huge amount of time on a ship only to change its hard points or realize that, "yeah I really want a hangar on this ship." I won't make any more excuses for them as it's not like I'm a great artist either. :) But I want the game to be generally colorful with strong contrasting forms to make gameplay easy to read (not to mention stand out among all the other awesome space games coming out soon). The game is sort of part RTS/RTT so readability is even more important than normal.

There will be historic/simulator missions which will evolve from my test missions, and they will probably be finished first. They are just one-off scenarios where I give you control of a fighter group and one or two capital ships (if any), and see how well you can do. Then once I get everything in those up to an acceptable level of polish, I'll shift back to the campaign.

Hey mate. That was me who tweeted you. Glad you could drop in!

The project looks great and so far I really like the visual style, so I hope you don't change it to much. Its simple, sure, but it fits rather well.
Do you have any goals with ship variety for the player? Will we be sticking with a single ship or will be choose one at loadout? (And for some reason I feel like that has been answered before, but anyway!)

Thanks for dropping in mate, I hope you stick around.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Kairo posted:

Thanks for checking out the game. I take everyone's feedback (good and especially bad) pretty seriously, so thanks for telling me what you think. To answer a couple questions:

Will you be selling posters of the cover art?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Dr.Oblivious posted:

Yes please. That is some classic 80s sci-fi movie poster work right there.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Kairo posted:

• No multiplayer (at least for 1.0). I wish. I soooo wish. I do some pretty heinous stuff to the Unity engine to get these large distances to work well with floating point error. I know it's been solved in other places like X-Wing vs. TIE, Allegiance, and even FS2 but it's just me and I'm not even a very good programmer.
  • Yes, graphics are simple and often suck but I'm still working on core gameplay. It does me no good to spend a huge amount of time on a ship only to change its hard points or realize that, "yeah I really want a hangar on this ship." I won't make any more excuses for them as it's not like I'm a great artist either. :) But I want the game to be generally colorful with strong contrasting forms to make gameplay easy to read (not to mention stand out among all the other awesome space games coming out soon). The game is sort of part RTS/RTT so readability is even more important than normal.

There will be historic/simulator missions which will evolve from my test missions, and they will probably be finished first. They are just one-off scenarios where I give you control of a fighter group and one or two capital ships (if any), and see how well you can do. Then once I get everything in those up to an acceptable level of polish, I'll shift back to the campaign.

Not gonna lie, after the game's been out for awhile I would pay decent money for a multiplayer campaign series that are beholden to the same permadeath rules. You gently caress something up and your buddy goes up in space smoke? You're gonna have to live with that weight...

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I too want a video game that kills my friends in real life.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I too want a video game that kills my friends in real life.

This, but completely unironically.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

ghetto wormhole posted:

I'd just like to say that I'm willing to throw money at you if you decide to kickstart this.

Lots of money.

This.

The only question that remains is whether he would prefer it delivered in a non-descript briefcase or a big bag with a dollar sign on it.

Twenty Drunk Apes
Jun 17, 2012

The mane you say? Please note that this is a pity avatar because even bronies feel sorry for this poster so :effort:.
I'm joining in the desire to pay for a Beta of this. Hell, I'll even pay for an Alpha. Also, please tell me it's possible to buy a copy that poster, I need it on my wall right now. :allears:

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

Jumping on the bandwagon for a kickstarter and/or poster, because god drat. These are things I need.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

Dr.Oblivious posted:

It would make an awesome tiered pre-order reward. I would buy it, put that fucker on my wall and force everyone ever to look at it while my 33 earth years old self would proudly stand next to it sperging about space.

Question for Kairo; this game looks like it's pretty much designed from ground up to be played with a joystick. Is it going to be mouse+keyboard friendly too? :ohdear: I don't have anything against sticks but just can't comfortably fit one around my desk.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I'm keeping a close eye on this one (hell, it's probably getting my money just for being a space-sim).

I do wonder to what extent Battle of Endor Syndrome will be a problem though.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

Kairo posted:

First - the graphics may be simple, but i've yet to see a single picture where they 'suck'. It might, to a degree, be nostalgia, but there's a sparse elegance to the designs that you've really nailed. Even if you decide to spruce up the textures later, i'm sure some of us would appreciate a 'Homeworld mode' button that turns them back.

Second - please sell me things. Please.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Alchenar posted:

I'm keeping a close eye on this one (hell, it's probably getting my money just for being a space-sim).

I'm not sure where you'd see this, all the demo gifs I've looked at make it seem like small, tactical battles. Even the game description refers to you as the tip of the spear, crippling the enemy in nasty ambushes; the big battles happen while you're out causing more trouble somewhere else.

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

tehsid posted:

Do you have any goals with ship variety for the player? Will we be sticking with a single ship or will be choose one at loadout?

One ship right now (the Executor), which is mostly because I will only have to make one functioning cockpit. However, I am going to make loadouts go beyond weapon selection and have both pros and cons. So in the end you can make your ship feel like something different. I get where you're coming from though!

Dr.Oblivious posted:

I will figure something out, but yes I want everyone to be able to pick up a print somehow.

Fewd posted:

Question for Kairo; this game looks like it's pretty much designed from ground up to be played with a joystick. Is it going to be mouse+keyboard friendly too? :ohdear: I don't have anything against sticks but just can't comfortably fit one around my desk.

Joystick (+ keyboard) is best for combat, but I also use mouse/keyboard to play when I am working. Right now I'm using something like X3 controls for the mouse but I think I'll have to do something different in the end, probably letting your turrets track the mouse within some limit (like Freelancer?). I'm going to see what the testers think before I do anything though. It's a priority for me to get this to work well.

Alchenar posted:

Ha! I actually have that page bookmarked. Like that page says, there's a certain size of encounter that you can keep in your head at any given time and it's not big. Doctorfrog's right in that most battles will be skirmish sized.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Alchenar posted:

It's hardly a problem in FreeSpace 2 any more if you're good designer. The mission editor has grown powerful enough to let you tame battles of that scope.

e: I guess that's not a great way to put it, it's still a challenge; just a surmountable one.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
It would be great to weave in and out of a battle between capital ships, dodging main gun beams from kilometers away, even if the ships involved were so far from your point of view that they're out of your level of detail range.

Also, if you're going to build around joystick controls, I hope you include proper support for HOTAS setups. I got a Saitek X52 for a Christmas gift and so far I've only used it in Freespace. When I play X3 I'm usually fast-tracking it to a small capital ship as soon as I start, and then I end up mainly playing with a mouse and letting my turrets do the work.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

General Battuta posted:

It's hardly a problem in FreeSpace 2 any more if you're good designer. The mission editor has grown powerful enough to let you tame battles of that scope.

e: I guess that's not a great way to put it, it's still a challenge; just a surmountable one.

Even discounting the technical problems, there's still the fundamental issue of 'how do you build a battle so big it's impressive and yet small enough that the player has something meaningful to do'.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Alchenar posted:

Even discounting the technical problems, there's still the fundamental issue of 'how do you build a battle so big it's impressive and yet small enough that the player has something meaningful to do'.

Large shielded warships with small weak spots. Or torpedo bombers. Or let you BE a torpedo bomber! Or just a huge skirmish with hundreds of fighters on each side.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Alchenar posted:

A fair point with plenty of solutions. From torpedo interception, to sinking "That one critical cruiser.", to catching a transport unawares or destroying a bomberwing at a clutch moment.

To me, such a clusterfuck really comes down to the fact that you are doing small things that nudge the battle in your sides favour, or doesn't because the plot says otherwise.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Shadowmorn posted:

A fair point with plenty of solutions. From torpedo interception, to sinking "That one critical cruiser.", to catching a transport unawares or destroying a bomberwing at a clutch moment.

To me, such a clusterfuck really comes down to the fact that you are doing small things that nudge the battle in your sides favour, or doesn't because the plot says otherwise.

Yeah. One way things can go wrong are to have a freeform skirmish of 200 fighters, only for the player to end up with an unwinnable mission through no fault of his own because his side all got shot down.

The opposite problem is Starlancer Syndrome, where literally nothing happens unless the player makes it happen and all suspense of disbelief of a living world that the game is set in is lost.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Alchenar posted:

Yeah. One way things can go wrong are to have a freeform skirmish of 200 fighters, only for the player to end up with an unwinnable mission through no fault of his own because his side all got shot down.

I agree that this is a terrible approach that must be avoided at all costs, but this

Alchenar posted:

is an issue that I think you can see solved quite happily in a number of recent campaigns. I've done it myself in a couple of ways, ranging from letting the player fly a warship to giving them meaningful tactical control of artillery and reinforcements to the aforementioned 'intervene at a key moment' approach (save the jamming ship, snipe the beam cannon, etc). Wings of Dawn also had a few excellent missions where you were dropped into an enormous battle and your task was simply to make one engagement within that battle work out well; that would kick in a chain of events that led to major changes in the course of the battle as a whole.

e: Really when I said above that the editor had grown powerful enough to do this, I didn't mean anything about technical problems; I meant it had given mission designers so many insane tools that you could pull off very complex missions with considerable control.

General Battuta fucked around with this message at 19:12 on May 3, 2013

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Kairo posted:

Thanks guys, if I could find a good way to handle patching and accounts I would love to do something where it's cheaper to buy in earlier on. Sort of how Mount & Blade and Minecraft worked. It keeps the price fair for what you're getting and helps me out by getting people's eyes on it. Win/win all around.

I'm not aware of any patching solutions for Unity other than M2HPatcher, or if any non-Unity patcher would work too. I'm going to do more research. Ahhh, the joys of doing this on your own. :)

I'd love to get in on Steam's Early Access roster but I need some more historic missions/polish for it to be worth it for them.

Maybe talk to Chris Park and Keith Lamothe from Arcen Games? AI War is Unity and they put out patches all the time (at one point almost daily).

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

Oh poo poo, I didn't know they used Unity. Thanks, Glimpse!

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

If you're taking recommendations for stand-alone mission types, I would love to see one that is a sort of survival mode where you're basically the rearguard of your fleet trying to escape and you have to hold out against never-ending (or seemingly never-ending? :v:) waves of enemies. The primary goal wouldn't be to "win", but to take out as much as you can and buy time for the rest of the fleet to get away. It may be a little more arcade-y than some of the other content, but considering you'd actually be able to see your friendly fleet making their escape while doing your work I think it would work better in this game than most.

Objective 4: Die a glorious death!

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The trick to making very large battles that play well is to not make very large battles, instead you make smaller battles with a massive battle going on around you as window dressing.

Massive ships are going to be blowing up all over the place, fighter and bomber wings will be flying around everywhere, but it's predominantly window dressing that the player can't affect outside of the intended skirmish-size encounters (destroy a bomber wing before they do too much damage to one of your capital ships, escort your own bomber wing against an enemy ship, some sort of trench run as a finale). If you really want the massive battle feel, make it so it's fine if the player loses one of the smaller battles, it just means they'll need to win harder at the others in order to win the overall mission.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Zaodai posted:

If you're taking recommendations for stand-alone mission types, I would love to see one that is a sort of survival mode where you're basically the rearguard of your fleet trying to escape and you have to hold out against never-ending (or seemingly never-ending? :v:) waves of enemies. The primary goal wouldn't be to "win", but to take out as much as you can and buy time for the rest of the fleet to get away. It may be a little more arcade-y than some of the other content, but considering you'd actually be able to see your friendly fleet making their escape while doing your work I think it would work better in this game than most.

Objective 4: Die a glorious death!

Reminds me of the final level of Freespace 2, where you can botch it and die a heroic death.

Jabor posted:

The trick to making very large battles that play well is to not make very large battles, instead you make smaller battles with a massive battle going on around you as window dressing.

Massive ships are going to be blowing up all over the place, fighter and bomber wings will be flying around everywhere, but it's predominantly window dressing that the player can't affect outside of the intended skirmish-size encounters (destroy a bomber wing before they do too much damage to one of your capital ships, escort your own bomber wing against an enemy ship, some sort of trench run as a finale). If you really want the massive battle feel, make it so it's fine if the player loses one of the smaller battles, it just means they'll need to win harder at the others in order to win the overall mission.

I couldn't agree more. I mean, its easy enough to make sure the player doesn't feel like he/she's in a small window either, just having splash damage from the nearby battles or a twist in the combat flow as a warship limps by into "Your space.", throwing current objectives out of the window, is the way to go about this.

I vaguely remember a mod pack for freespace 2 doing that in a clever way, a warship from a nearby battle that it had finished tried an in-system jump without having enough time to fully recharge the engines, queue it coming out the other end an exploding wreck, much to the dismay of your XO who had been yelling at the captain to not do it in the first place. All the while you are fighting for your life and alittle bit too busy to watch the fuckup unfold.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 02:01 on May 4, 2013

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Anyone who keeps pasting the Battle of Endor syndrome is still living in the Tie Fighter days. Please don't let that deter you from making some pretty cool immersive fleet battles!

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Jabor posted:

Or (at least in the context of FreeSpace 2) you expand the tools available to the player so they can have a meaningful impact on the larger battle. Again, I've used the strategies you suggested, but there are really a lot of other options available that weren't around when that doctrinal Battle of Endor Syndrome article was written.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

The original Freespace didn't have any massive battles, but its capital ships were more like decorations than anything else. They could barely scratch each other. I remember one mission where you have to escort a cruiser past a bunch of other cruisers and none of them died even though they were blasting away at each other the entire time with their small weapons. Plus the ships weren't threatening to fighters unless you stayed still or flew directly at them.

I think that if you do capital ships like that you can pretty much have as many of them in a mission as you like without having to worry about things going too askew. Not like Freespace 2 where every capital ship has multiple massive death-ray cutting beams.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

BattleMaster posted:

I think that if you do capital ships like that you can pretty much have as many of them in a mission as you like without having to worry about things going too askew. Not like Freespace 2 where every capital ship has multiple massive death-ray cutting beams.

Speaking of which, Kairo, I'm going to express a counter opinion and say the capital ships should have as many noisy death-dealing :stare:->:stonk: beam weapons Freespace 2 style as they can possibly hold. Then a couple more.

Anyone who says their first encounter with them wasn't impressive is a damned liar :colbert:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 04:27 on May 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Nothing better then adding the weight of 20 years worth of video game space combat design onto a single poor indie dev.

• Locked thread