Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MadMattH
Sep 8, 2011
The graphics I hope are just placeholders, they look like Starfox 64. The not-even-attempting-to-be-realistic graphics are what turned me off of Flotilla. It just take away from the immersion factor. Otherwise the idea sounds pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadMattH
Sep 8, 2011

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Kind of surprised, or maybe not surprised but rather disappointed, to see a lot of unhappiness with the graphics. I look at games like Freelancer and Darkstart One and Strike Suit Zero and Sol: Exodus and Evochron and Tarr Chronicles and Battlecruiser 3000 and Starshatter and they all just look... uninteresting. It's like come on, I can only play so many games that do a mediocre job of ripping off Star Wars before they just become instantly forgettable. Right now, Enemy Starfighter looks like something new and fresh and beautiful and spare, and I hope it never changes. But I suppose that any interesting aesthetic choice that departs from the fairly boring norm is always going to be met with push-back, which is how you know it's an interesting aesthetic choice.

Well that's kind of the whole point, the graphics aren't new or fresh or even beutiful. The only thing they are is spare. If they were new or interesting then there would't be comparisons to 90's game graphics. The only reason that the aesthetics seem to be an "interesting" choice is that they look so outdated. Nothing new is being presented in this game's graphics. If you watch the video, just about every ship explosion and laser shot looks directly ripped from some older game.

EDIT:

Oh and by the way if you look at the guys Dec 12th blog entry, he straight up says that it's placeholder art. So I guess until we see the actual art, the art discussion is moot.

MadMattH fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jan 26, 2013

MadMattH
Sep 8, 2011

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Yes, it's placeholder art, but the question is whether the finished game will look like a first person version of Flotilla, with orange space and spare, flat colors and simple geometric shapes for the ships, or a first person version of Nexus: The Jupiter Incident and pretty much every other space game we've ever played. Like, when you're whipping up placeholder art you don't accidentally make space orange. I feel like if the goal were to look like most other space sim games, space would be black at this point.

It really could be neither, It doesn't have to be one or the other.

MadMattH
Sep 8, 2011

TychoCelchuuu posted:

That's certainly true, I drew a hell of a false dichotomy there. I guess the best option would be a third, really - something like Homeworld would combine the best of both worlds. Unique + colorful instead of "let's try to ape Star Wars" but also with high production values and shiny stuff for people who don't like the stark, simple flat colors of Flotilla or the placeholder graphics. Space was often orange in Homeworld too! Anything to get us away from generic sci-fi.

Now that's something I'd like to see. A Homeworld art style would fit this perfectly.

• Locked thread