Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Matsu Itaru

Itaru had watched the entire affair with a certain reluctance to personally involve himself. Now that Fuyuko-san had departed he stepped forward to the group, in time for Mirumoto Dai to address them. Once that was said and done he thought to himself for a moment. "I hope my instincts lie to me, but I fear something is afoot. Shosuro Shizuka may have a reputation for kindness but her tasks are rarely a pleasant job for all involved." He did not say that it was concerning that the Mirumoto-Sama wished to address them all alone, with or without the Shosuro-Sama's presence. It would have been a very dishonourable insinuation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Ikoma Asano

"She is Scorpion."

Asano speaks in the most deadpan way he can, in order to not imply anything good or bad about it.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.
Win

"Be at peace, Tekre-san. It was a joke, and nothing more. I fear my time in the mountains has not made me fit for court, if Courtier-san reactions are to be believed. I did not mean to cause you disquiet," he says as humbly as he can manage. The Nezumi was fascinating in its way, and he would like to speak further with the creature in the future. Such a curious thing.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Moshi Haruka

"Of course, Doji-san. I understand that monetary value is not always the measure of an item's importance. I will be with you shortly." After the Crane leaves, Haruka turns to the Kitsune and gives her a small smile. "If you would like, Kyubi-san, you could accompany me; I enjoy the talks we have." Her fellow shugenja's thoughts were quite interesting to her, and their respective schools focused on opposite elements, so they had much to learn from each other.

When Dai comes to speak with them, she is somewhat surprised, but agrees to meet with him at the desired time. It wouldn't do to refuse such a simple request from the cousin of her host, though she has to wonder what it is about. Perhaps he was the reason the Shosuro woman had come?

Well, she would find out in three hours time, so rather than speculate on that, she would focus on her task at hand. She could commune with the kami swiftly enough, so as long as their information was clear, the real challenge would be finding whoever had stolen the item (assuming it wasn't simply misplaced) before her meeting with Mirumoto. She would prefer if she were there for that; leaving the task to Fuyuko or others who had not heard the kami's words themselves, lest they misunderstand her or otherwise risk getting the wrong person.

Alright, going with whoever chooses to follow me, first to get some stuff from my quarters (and make sure none of my stuff is missing), then to meet Fuyuko in her room. Let's track down this thief.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jan 29, 2013

CAPSLOCKGIRL
Jul 21, 2011

I actually just hold down the Shift key.
"Tekre does not think you are very good at jokes, Jakr'Chik, if your joke is to offer something you do not have. What do you do if called to present the shiny-thing you say you possess? Admit you do not have it? Lie further? Seems to Tekre you are setting yourself up for a trip-fall with such 'jokes'."

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Win

"I can possess my hands, my thoughts, body and soul. What else? Doji-sama lost her comb and felt sorrow, outrage. Accused you of theft. Yet it was a simple comb, hers only to her mind, no?" He gestures hugely, "The birds of the sky, the roots of the mountain. Can they be possessed? In seeking to hold all in the hands, one can not touch the sun. Do not burden yourself with such things. Her comb as is mine, all combs are as one for Lord Sun shines on the just and unjust alike, does he not?"

CAPSLOCKGIRL
Jul 21, 2011

Tekre folds her arms. "Tekre thinks that it is very easy not to burden yourself with things, yes, until you need something useful. Does the Painted Jakr-Chik not burden himself with items of rice or water-drink?" She holds the Kyoketsu-Shogi wrapped around her shoulder, and raps it against her Ashigaru plates, while she pats the Kama tucked into her belt. "With these, Tekre may be burdened, but she can also climb nearly any tower, castle wall, or rock-cliff you can show her. Tekre may be burdened, but with such burdens, Tekre is free." She then unslings her backpack, opens it up, and pulls out her flute, showing it to Win. "What about burdens such as this, Jakr-Chik? Do not your D'n need such burdens to create happiness?"

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Ikoma Asano

The Lion looks at the ratling.

Then he looks at the Togashi.

Asano decides to abandon his previous neutrality and asks the Moshi if she would mind him going along with. If the other choice is a conversation between ratlings and mad monks, perhaps haughty, yelling Crane women are the lesser evil.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Moshi Haruka

Haruka nods to Asano. "Of course. Anyone who wishes to join me may do so, if they are interested in observing. I may require assistance afterward, as well." Though, depending on who the culprit is it will likely be simpler to report the matter to Mirumoto Tarou himself, provided he is finished with his meeting by then. If not, Haruka would like to handle the matter before her own rendezvous, as the more time that goes by the more likely the one responsible may learn of her discovery and attempt to cover their tracks.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Jan 29, 2013

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Win

"A chopstick in a mountain of straw can be found if all beside is burned away. Music is as a singular blade of truth, the mask pulled aside for only a moment. Beautiful, yes, but to lay it aside and draw back the shade further is the task of he who would seek enlightenment," the monk says with all sincerity. "Happiness can not be created or destroyed, only revealed or buried. The truth of happiness is within the unshadowed heart." He finds himself wondering if the creature could become enlightened or not. Certainly the Little Teacher had not much to say on the subject of talking rats, nor did Togashi himself. Perhaps this task was his then.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Daitomu

With his fruit finally finished, Daitomu brushes the sticky juices from his hands on a nearby plant. "I believe I will go search the dreamlands for the Doji Comb. Plenty of time for a nap before Dai-san's request for our presence."

If there is nothing else going on, Daitomu is going to rest in wherever he rests until the appointed time.

CAPSLOCKGIRL
Jul 21, 2011

Tekre's eyes widen slightly at the mention of enlightenment, but she otherwise remains composed. "Tekre thinks you are dumb-stupid if you think you will find anything but burnt-ashes if you try to find a eating-stick in a haystack by burning the haystack. And she doubts that the Painted Jakr-Chik can find enlightenment by becoming blind-blind to the beauty of the world, since Tekre has heard that enlightenment is the most beautiful shiny-thing of all."

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Matsu Itaru

Although the little rat-person had answered before he could, Itaru none the less felt compelled to correct the monk. "I am afraid you are wrong, Togashi-san, happiness can be destyoed and I hope that you never have to learn this for yourself." Itaru said sadly and his eyes held a great deal of pain and sadness when he spoke. "It seems we never truly appreciate what we have until it is taken from us."

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Win

"Perhaps yours is a different path," Win says calmly. "My own understanding of the truth is incomplete as well." He turns to the Matsu, offering a slight bow. "I did not say it could not be lost, only that it could not be destroyed. Love and happiness are enlightenment revealed through a narrow window, while circumstance can close that window and bar that door the light within still burns. It is in pulling down those walls one realizes the truth. It lies behind masks, it wears a false face."

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Matsu Itaru

Itaru shook his head sadly. "My wife cannot be returned to me, that happiness never regained. What difference then is there between it being lost or destroyed? Even if the words are different the result is the same." While it wasn't uncommon for people to mourn for lost loved ones, it seemed as though a part of Itaru had remained in the part. It was probably doubtful that the monk's teachings would reach through to him in his current fugue. As if sensing the futility of it Matsu Itaru also bowed slightly. "I apologise for taking your time, I should attend to my own matter. I believe we will see each other in three hours." Bowing only just perceptibly to the Nezumi Itaru left to find one of the gardens and spend some time contemplating Sayaka's pendant.

CAPSLOCKGIRL
Jul 21, 2011

Tekre mutters to herself; "Seems to Tekre that Jakr-Chik thinks truth is the most false thing of all."

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Win

He respectfully returns the bow offered by the Matsu. Much of his mirth has faded, and he watches as he leaves. However, on hearing the words of the ratling, a genuine smile crosses his face. "You are a quick study," he says bowing to the Ratling. "It took me months to realize that. We may make a wise... being of you yet." With that, he heads off about his own business. The arrival of the Scorpion was a curious thing, he would mark it very well. He would start by seeking out Togashi Goro and seeing what the man had to say or did not have to say on the matter.

CAPSLOCKGIRL
Jul 21, 2011

I suppose Tekre just shrugs and makes her way to the tower, then.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Haruka, Asano

Fuyuko is impatiently waiting for you when you arrive. Her chambers are a stark contrast to the rest of the austere fortress, being almost over-decorated, like something you'd expect more from a Yoritomo than a Doji.

"How long is this going to take?" she demands. "I have a lot to do, you know." She eyes Asano suspiciously. "And why are you here? Do you need something?"

This shouldn't take long, and once it's cleared up I'll move on to the tower thing.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Win

Togashi Goro isn't hard to find--he's seated in the lotus position atop the wall to the courtyard, apparently meditating. When you approach, he opens one eye.

"Win-san. Interesting conversation with the ratling. The Doji, though, is a lost cause."

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Moshi Haruka

Kneeling on the floor, Haruka explains as she begins setting up. "Asano-san is here to watch. Don't worry, the process won't be disturbed by onlookers." She sets her incense stand in front of her, putting three sticks of incense in it. She doesn't light them; the kami will do that itself when it comes. Holding her hand up front of her, she begins her prayers, calling forth one of the fire spirits in the area for questioning.

Okay, rules aren't clear if communing always requires you to cast Summon first or not. If so, 5k3 for that. As for the Commune itself, casting it with two raises for clarity, and spending a Void point so the spell's cast at 6k4. Casting these both as Fire spells, of course.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jan 30, 2013

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Haruka

You are readily able to commune with one of the fire spirits in the area.

"What do you want?" comes its irritated question. "I'm very busy, you know."

The incense lights itself, which is all the others in the room see happening--they cannot hear the voice of the Kami you are communing with.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Moshi Haruka

"My apologies. However, we require your assistance. Someone has been stealing things from around the estate, including Doji-san's comb. Who stole it, and where did they take it?"

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Haruka

The fire spirit responds with what comes across to you as a snort.

"That's all you want to know? Hah. A mujina took it, and threw it in the stream."

The spirit's presence fades as it departs.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Ikoma Asano

While Haruka confers with the kami, Asano takes the more mundane approach of simply looking around the room for things out of the ordinary that could clue in someone entering and stealing the comb (or perhaps to simply find the comb in an unlooked area)

Investigation: Notice: 3d10r1o10k2 21

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Moshi Haruka

Haruka bows slightly as the kami departs, standing up and leaving the remainder of the incense for the spirit. "Well, Doji-san, it appears that the estate has bigger problems than a simple thief. There is a mujina haunting the area, and it threw your comb in a stream. It may still be there, though." She thinks for a moment. "We will have to inform Agasha-sama of this; the residents of Sakkaku are not my area of expertise." She bows to Fuyuko. "If you need me for anything else, simply ask. I am happy to be of assistance."

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jan 30, 2013

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Haruka, Asano

Asano, you see no sign of any evidence, though Haruka's explanation that a mujina is causing the trouble would seem to explain that quite soundly.

Fuyuko isn't happy with this answer at all. "A what?! Why would it target me? Are you sure? I want a second opinion--I bet you're just trying to keep me from blaming that filthy rat!"

This continues as you take your leave, and you can hear her shrieking all the way up the hall.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Ikoma Asano

Asano sighs - this has gone far enough. He turns to look at the Crane again, keeping a soft, polite voice.

"Doji-san, the ways of the spirits are imperceptible to us. There are any number of reasons a mujina may target you first; after all, I have heard it said the spirits can act in jealousy, and a true Crane's grace would make for a grand target. Now, my own watchful eyes have seen no traces of another entering here, which would match Moshi-san's statements. While the Nezumi are odd, both your clan and mine have had new looks at them in our service to the Wall to show them as more then we thought. A Crane's trust and honor are known throughout the Empire; while a second opinion will indeed show the truth of Moshi-san's honorable statements and my own honorable observations, I fear the arrival of the Scorpion may have them busy, and thus we must rely on that Crane trust and honor."

Courtier: 6d10o10k4 28

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Asano

Fuyuko seems mollified somewhat. "Well...I suppose that makes sense. Still--I suppose I must send the servants to search the streambed for my comb now. This is such a trying assignment, Ikoma-san...why, between the rat-thing, the bizarre monks, and the rest, it is almost like we two are the only civilized people here..."

She flutters her eyelashes at you.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Ikoma Asano

Asano brings his hand to his chest and smiles, relying on the reputation of Ikoma drama to carry him.

"Leaves turn red and gold.
So many with eyes downcast,
Those who see it, smile.

The Togashi have certainly been living up to their reputation; I am but a simple Lion, and their ways and understandings of Shinsei are beyond mine. However, they did tell me of one story I feel is significant, as winter begins to approach. They say there is a very rare flower that grows here in the cold mountains; a beautiful flower of light blue petals. While all the rest of nature falls and turns white in the cold and barren winters, this flower pushes itself upwards to escape the snow. It is a rare flower, for so many do not make it, and die as all the other flowers do. But the rare few that do make it push themselves above the snow, and share their beauty, not only untarnished in such a cold land, but empowered by it, making them that much more resplendent. And when the snow melts, what flower could stand taller or grander then the one who survived the cold?"

Asano gives another smile and a small bow before turning to leave...only to stop and give a curious look upwards.

"Oh yes...the group of Scorpion who arrived. I fear I could not fully identify their leader; too much time reading poetry and playing Go, I'm afraid. I wonder, could you tell me anything of the group or their leader? I do not wish to appear ignorant before them if they will be joining us in court. I fear the reputation of the Scorpion, and how they could use such against me."

OoC: That poem is so loving awful

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Asano

Fuyuko shakes her head sadly. "I'm afraid I know little more than you do at this point. Soshis and Shosuros, I just can't keep them all straight, I'm sorry to say!" She giggles in a flirtatious manner, but you can tell she's not joking.

This Doji is bad at being a Doji.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Togashi Win

Win joins him up on the wall. "The Nezumi is interesting," he says. "Do you think such a creature could become enlightened? As to the Doji, I can sense some worth there. Perhaps only the right tool is needed. I do not know. What do you think of our newest guest? Scorpion-sama seemed in something of a hurry."

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Win

"The Scorpion are all too fond of playing games within games. Is she as she appears, or does she disguise her true nature? Is the disguise merely another layer, to conceal that she is in fact as she appears? When one peels away all the layers, will there be anything left at all?" Goro shrugs. "These are the things one could ponder for a lifetime. And yet, they are not what I ponder."

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Moshi Haruka

Having given her regards to Fuyuko and Asano before she left, Haruka walks through the manor, possibly talking with Kyubi if she's still around. While the thief has been discovered, it still needs to be dealt with. Agasha-sama is more than likely already aware of it, but she was worth telling nevertheless, being the only one who was likely able to actually do anything about it. Informing Tarou-sama would be important, too, so he is aware before it interferes with his business with the Shosuro or Chihiro's bridegroom, but he was likely still busy, so she'd tell someone who could speak with him when he was finished; she had her own business to attend to as well, after all.

Informing the third shugenja here and either the master of the house or one of his attendants, hey, there's a trickster spirit messing things up around here, so watch out for that.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Win

"And what is it Goro-sama meditates on?" This was a common enough question back in the mountains, but here it seemed to have more weight by half.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Win

The enigmatic Togashi smiles. "Twenty pounds of millet, and a juicy peach." He closes his eyes again and begins mumbling, repeating a passage of the Tao under his breath. You've seen him like this before, and will almost certainly get no more answers from him until he's finished his meditations.

Haruka

You converse with Kyubi as you traverse the halls of Shiro Murakumo, but with Lord Tarou involved in private discussions with the unexpected Shosuro visitor, it would be difficult to gain access to him just now. As for Agasha Arashi, you are informed by her heimin assistant that she has departed the castle to seek certain herbs in the mountains to replace those she had lost, and will likely not be back until late this evening.

Everyone

The appointed time for the meeting with Mirumoto Dai draws near. Unless anyone else has any immediate business, or was specifically intending to sit this out...you make your way to the observation tower. It is the tallest structure on the grounds of Shiro Murakumo. The ground level is constructed of stone, with higher floors made of wood. An interior set of stairs winds up around the tower, leading to a top floor largely open around the sides, featuring a breathtaking view of the castle and the surrounding mountains. There's a small easel and a set of pigments and brushes tucked off to one side where Kitsune Kyubi has stored them, with permission, to avoid having to lug them up and down the many stairs.

Mirumoto Dai is already present, alone, when you arrive. It's fairly chilly in this tower, but he seems to be perspiring slightly. Nerves? He greets you all politely, though somewhat subdued.

MollyMetroid fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jan 30, 2013

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Moshi Haruka

Haruka bows to Dai as she enters, glancing around, at both the others and the area surrounding them. "Good afternoon, Mirumoto-sama." She does not ask why they are here, though she is curious. That will presumably be explained soon enough. As such, she simply waits for him to begin.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Matsu Itaru

Itaru entered shortly before the appointed time, bowing to Mirumoto Dai after he entered as well. "Greetings Mirumoto-Sama." He added and then stepped to the side, waiting to see what would happen next. Itaru carefully took stock of who was present, he knew that he and the other guests in the courtyard had been invited but he did not know if anyone else had been. Especially of note would be the Shosuro-san, should she be present (although he only used that for of address in his mind).

HiKaizer fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jan 31, 2013

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Moto Daitomu

Daitomu looks no more refreshed than when he left, arriving at the observation deck. "Quite the climb, but a breathtaking reward at the end." He says, to no one in particular. Way up here in the cold air, looking out over the mountains, Daitomu reminisced about riding through the high plains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPSLOCKGIRL
Jul 21, 2011

Tekre doesn't want any more Krtichik nonsense being spouted at her, so she's just staying quiet for the moment.

• Locked thread