Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Moto Daitomu

Dagon posted:

pre:
Name: Moto Daitomu 	Rank: 2
Clan: Unicorn		Experience: 6
School: Death Priest/	Insight: 151
        Shinmaki Order

Earth:  3	 Air:  2 	Honor:   4.5
  Sta:  3	 Ref:  2	Glory:   1.0
  Wil:  4	 Awa:  2	 Infamy: 0
Water:  2	Fire:  2	Status:  1.0
  Str:  2	 Agi:  2	Taint:   0
  Per:  2	 Int:  3
	Void:  2

Initiative: 3k2	

Skill			Rank	Trait	Emp/Mas			Roll
Athletics		1	Str				3k2
Horsemanship		1	Agi				3k2
Hunting			2	Per	Tracking		4k2
Lore: Theology		4	Int	Diamond Sutra		7k3
Meditation		2	Void				4k2
Spellcraft		5	Int	Importune, +1k0		8k3
Etiquette		3	Awa	+3 insight		5k2
Divination		2	Int				5k3
Sincerity		2	Awa				4k2
Spear			3	Agi	-3 Armor 1st Rd		5k2
Defense			2	Per				4k2
Investigation		1	Per				3k2
Divination		1	Int				4k3
Jiujutsu		1	Agi				3k2
Meditation		2	Void				4k2
Calligraphy		1	Int				4k3
Lore: Ghosts		1	Int				4k3
Medicine		1	Int				4k3
Engineering		1	Int				4k3
Stealth		1	Agi				3k2
Sleight of Hand	1	Agi				3k2

Advantage				Points
Sage				  	3
  Unskilled Lore skills are Rank 1.
Friend of the Elements (Earth)		3
  Free Raise with Earth attributes.

Disadvantage				Points
Cursed by the Realm (Gaki-do)		5
  Gaki and hungry dead target you.
Forced Retirement		 	4
  Next IR must be in Monk school.
Disturbing Countenance			0
  TN of Social Skills increased by 5.

Techniques
Blessings of the Shi-Tien Yen-Wang
  Sacrifice spell slot and target one enemy. Contested Will roll. If successful, 
  target can't explode dice or get rerolls for rounds equal to SR.
  Free Raise on any spell with the Travel keyword.
The Diamond Sutra
  +1k0 on Meditation, Fear, and Social Skill rolls involving heimin and hinin. 
  You do not lose Honor for touching dead flesh.

Spells: Affinity/Deficiency: Earth/Air
Non		Earth		  	Fire			Water
Sense		Armor of Earth		Burning Kiss of Steel	The Rushing Wave
Summon 		Stone's Endurance	Envious Flames
Commune		Jade Strike

Kiho
Earth Needs No Eyes (Earth 3/Internal)
  Sense movement within IRx50'
Song of the World (Void 3/Kharmic)
  Contested Void roll to reduce target Initiative by 5 and increase your own by 5.
Depths of the World (Earth 4/Internal)
  Roll to recover from a non-permanent Condition that allows rolls for recovery.

Weapon	Attack	Damage	Notes
Yari	5k2	4k2	Large, Throwable

Equipment
Sturdy Traveling Clothing, Wakizashi, Yari, Traveling Pack, Horse (Unicorn Steed), 5 Koku.

Daitomu spends most of his time playing go with the monks. He was absolutely terrible, no patience for the game really. Maybe it was the mountain air, the solitude, or just throwing himself into the game, but something about working on the problems, losing over and over, distracted him from death at every step. Even the senile Gohei was relaxing to be around, innocent and without a care, except the black and white pieces arrayed before him. Daitomu was happy to be beaten by him, and every match was a wordless lesson, both in go, and somehow a message about life itself.

Now though, there were outsiders coming to the mountains. Outsiders brought questions, brought attention, made things complicated. The empire had enough complications with the Scorpion on the throne. Just when the simple life of a monk was looking appealing, reminders of reality were rearing their heads.

Dagon fucked around with this message at 00:37 on May 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Moto Daitomu

"Scales from the heart of the wind? What are you even talking about?" Daitomu replies. Surely it was some sort of proverb from the boy, wise beyond his years. Daitomu was eager to learn, but it always felt awkward to be lectured about theology by someone nearer to half his age. Humility was just one of many things the monks would need to teach.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Moto Daitomu

Moto Daitomu steps into the courtyard, more to see who the new arrival will be, but the Doji's outburst gave a good excuse. "Calm yourself, Doji-san. I'm sure your comb is a valuable family heirloom that has only touched the tenderest of Crane scalps, but we have visitors."

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Moto Daitomu

Scorpions. Their presence here couldn't mean anything good. As they dismount, Daitomu gracefully exits, courtyard left, getting out of the way. Just who was this woman? He would watch, and wait, for now.

Lore: Heraldry (from sage) 4k3 to recognize the 'mistress'

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Moto Daitomu

It could be worse. Shizuka wasn't one of the zealots, but her presence meant there was something amiss. Daitomu would watch and wait, for now, taking a seat nearby, and producing a Yuzu fruit from his satchel to snack upon while he watches.

Dagon fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jan 29, 2013

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Daitomu

"The monk is right, Doji-san." Daitomu says through a mouthful of the fleshy citrus fruit. "Among my people, when the Lords of Death take you, it is only you, your horse, and whatever is on your back. Trinkets like combs are of no importance."

"This, though." He gestures with his half-eaten fruit towards the troubled gossips in the courtyard, whirlpools left in the Shosuro's wake. "Conspiracy! Inquisitors! Something important has come to court."

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Daitomu

With his fruit finally finished, Daitomu brushes the sticky juices from his hands on a nearby plant. "I believe I will go search the dreamlands for the Doji Comb. Plenty of time for a nap before Dai-san's request for our presence."

If there is nothing else going on, Daitomu is going to rest in wherever he rests until the appointed time.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Moto Daitomu

Daitomu looks no more refreshed than when he left, arriving at the observation deck. "Quite the climb, but a breathtaking reward at the end." He says, to no one in particular. Way up here in the cold air, looking out over the mountains, Daitomu reminisced about riding through the high plains.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Moto Daitomu

Dai was there one second. Gone the next. Such is the fleeting nature of life, and Daitomu can not begin to contain himself at the absurdity of it. Laughter escapes as a snorting noise, despite his best efforts to keep his lips clamped shut.

Once he regains himself, Daitomu can only stare at the body below and shake his head. "When the Lords of Death come looking for you, there is no tower high enough to escape them." He says, following it with a heavy sigh. "Trust Me, he says, before plummeting to his death."

Daitomu knew better than to try and run, so simply waited there for the guards and inquisitor to arrive atop the tower. Perhaps they too, would try to fly.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Moto Daitomu

"Guilt? All of us here saw what happened, the man tripped. Our testimony absolves us of any guilt." Daitomu says. "Do not mistake laughter for humor. It is what it is, the beginning of a link that is as sure to be as ridiculous as any other in this chain of events. What else is there to do but laugh?"

He turns to face the stairway, awaiting the inevitable arrival of Shizuka and the Dragon guards at the scene.

Spellcraft to 4 (7xp) and Lore: Theology to 2 (2xp), saving the remaining 1xp.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Moto Daitomu

"After your meeting with Dai-san," Daitomu starts his recollection, delivering it flat and matter-of-factly, "He approached us and requested our presence in the tower. That is, the Monk, both Lions, the Centipede, the rat, and myself. I had not spent any significant time with any of them before, a word in passing or dining in common company here and there, so I thought his selection somewhat odd, but payed it no mind. He left to confer with a guard, I believe, but by then my attention was back to observing Fuyuko fling accusations."

"I suppose I was expecting some deep intellectual discussion. A group with surely mixed opinions about any topic, brought in private before a senior adviser to Tarao-san? I thought I would clear my head with meditation or sleep, and sleep won that battle. I retired to my quarters and rested, until shortly before the time of the meeting."

"Dai-san had barely begun speaking. Who builds towers such without at least a low wall? He began to speak of trust, and praising the honor of his clan. Now I am not one to sit still, but that place was dangerous, and I kept myself seated. Dai-san was walking about, as if his feet were planted firmly on the earth, and then, all of a sudden, woosh."

Daitomu shakes his head. "I wish there was someone to blame, but from my vantage, he tripped on his own feet. Nobody was near him, and he was going somewhere with his speech. If it was suicide, I would think he would at least get his final words out."

Sincerity: 3d10o10k2 7 WELP

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Moto Daitomu

"Is the task Kenji was sent on the concern, here, or that he has not returned?" Daitomu asks, not knowing the surrounding area well. "He may not know of what happened to Dai-san, and return on his own any time."

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Moto Daitomu

"Mujina? Sakkaku's trickster spirits are annoying, of course, but the pranks rarely lead to harm, let alone death. What suggests one of them in this?"

Just making conversation mostly. Daitomu doesn't have a lot to say here.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Moto Daitomu

"That is your concern now? A history lesson?" Daitomu says. "Kitsune-sama, a man has fallen to his death here, if you hadn't noticed. Now, if you want to speak on the nature of death, I may have words to share. As far as the Unicorn's Fox cousin, it sounds like your ancestors did you a favor by staying behind and not saddling you with the misfortune and curses that plague us." His tone is irritated, to be sure, but he does manage to stop short of accusing his clan of licking Scorpion boots.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Daitomu

"What else is there to think about? Here, let me give you your history lesson, then. Once, my people-" he sneers and spits the word as it leaves a foul taste in his mouth, "- the Moto, were known as the Ujik-hai. We were on a different path, and the Lords of Death guided us against their foes. When the Ki-Rin, the same cousins that left your family behind here in Rokugan, came to the Burning Sands, they found the Ujik-hai and taught us honor."

"We abandoned the Lords of Death to follow Lady Shinjo, and they have been after our souls ever since. So you see, it is not about wanting to think about death, it is death haunting your dreams, hiding in the shadows of every nook and cranny, ready to whisk away your spirit to whatever place they call home the moment they catch you. I trust you understand, Kitsune-san, why death sits at the forefront of my mind."

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Daitomu

"The death is unfortunate, but I do not think anyone here is suspected of being a part of it. Even our guest has not pointed any fingers, and many of us were there. Kenji-san, unless you are a mujina in disguise or the embodiment of ill fate, I think you are free from any worry."

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Moto Daitomu

What a gift! Both ancient and full of meaning, the priceless chime would surely bring honor to giver and recipient. If only there was one of the emperor's blood around so that we may hear the tone. Daitomu remembers a tale, a test of sorts to choose a bride... oh.

Oh.

The Unicorn wasn't at home here, and even though he had one foot out the door of his clan, he still needed to act the part of a respectable samurai. Daitomu was smart enough to keep his mouth shut, applaud, ooh, and aah with the others present. Chihiro and Kenta's would be as priceless as the wind chime.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Moto Daitomu

"I have to agree with what has been said. Shosuro-san, an explanation is in order. What would you have to gain from a false explanation of your gift? Is this the Kami's chime?"

Daitomu brushed through the crowed as he spoke, getting close to the action. Of course it was the Kami's chime, the reactions of the Dragons present told him enough. Daitomu's eyes were as much on them as on the Scorpion, and he could feel the Shi-Tien Yen-Wang's presence lurking.

Etiquette: 5d10o10k2 14 (Trying not to be a dick)

Etiquette to 3, Spellcraft to 5, and mastering The Rushing Wave (11xp total)

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Moto Daitomu

He still didn't trust the Scorpion. Was this all a plot to have all those kneeling executed? Still, Daitomu didn't want to be the only one standing, and so knelt.

The chime rang true, though. No-one, not even Kenta attempted to deny it. Regardless of the political state of the empire, he was in the presence of a son of heaven. Thoughts raced at the implication. The Lords of Death that lurked were dispelled by His mere presence, but Daitomu could not even think of them now.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Moto Daitomu

"Praise and congratulations, your imperial highness!" Daitomu exclaims. He sees Chihiro's expression, and attempts to calm that situation. The poor girl must be doubly overwhelmed. "Let us consider this foremost, a time for the honor and glory of marriage, all other implications and preparations set aside. This is a celebration, let us celebrate!"

Dagon fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Feb 13, 2013

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Moto Daitomu

"How things have changed. Years ago, my people would have been in my heart, and at the tip of my tongue for suggestion, but now..." Daitomu shakes his head. "Old enemies become allies. The Lion and Crane are the obvious choices, to me. Both are close to the Emperor traditionally, and now both are cast out. The Lion, in particular; 'When the last Akodo falls, so falls the last Hantei.'"

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Moto Daitomu

"Moshi-san poses an interesting question. Just who are we allowed to reveal your existence to? Are your words for Toturi-sama only? Are you concerned about unseen eyes to the events of the past days? Should we be?"

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Moto Daitomu

Daitomu watches close by, warming his hands on a steaming cup of tea. He didn't know any of these games, but it seemed to be what monks did in their spare time, so he should probably start learning. Luckily, he wasn't the only one, and could watch without revealing his embarrassing lack of knowledge.

"What temple do you belong to?" He asks of the monk, while the pieces are being set.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Daitomu

"Seven Fortunes, eh?" Daitomu says. He didn't let the game interrupt his conversation. If anything, he was giving the young monk an advantage, or testing the concentration and skill of Haru. "I do not mean to pry, but I am seeking a monastery myself. What sets your temple apart? I hear there are others, with thousands of fortunes. Surely that is better than your seven. Or four temples. How many temples does your order hold?"

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Daitomu

"Some of us at least, yes. I'm not sure reverence is the correct term. It is a respect born of a healthy fear for our immortal souls. The fortunes are not foreign to me, but I must admit, I have not contemplated the interaction between the teachings my family have learnt in our long journeys and the known spirit realms here."

Daitomu excuses himself for just long enough to get some sake. "To ignite a fire in the belly to heat the forge of the mind." He says, taking a long drink. "Is there mobility within the ranks of the fortunes? Who decides their ranks? How can we know that the Greater Fortunes are truly greater?"

If needed- Lore: Theology: 5d10o10k3 32

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Daitomu

Daitomu rolls his eyes. If he wanted a lesson from the Centipede, he would flip over some rocks. For his search, the monk's words were what was interesting. "So the greatest comes first? Surely something came before them? The Shi-Tien Yen-Wang have always been, and who are we to doubt their claim. No, I suspect Haru-sensei has better reasons than 'they got here first' and 'Isawa said so' for holding these seven in such high regard."

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Daitomu

"A reason for joining that I can appreciate. I am sure that as hard as you work to honor Ebisu, you are allowed peaceful relaxation with Hotei." Daitomu stops to drain, and then refill, his sake.

With a smirk, he continues, "Maybe the fortunes are not for me. Too many to remember who to honor and for what. Perhaps the Tao better suits me."

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Daitomu

"Hrmph. This conversation has soured." Daitomu says, behind narrow eyes and accusing glances at everyone present. "I believe I will retire, before the inquisitors and bounty hunters show up."

Sincerity: 3d10o10k2 13

Once in private, Daitomu digs out his spell scrolls. The earth kami around and under this inn may have heard something, and somehow, he trusted them more than the suspicious ronin. A scoop of earth from outside his window would do the trick to make a connection, and he began to spread it in a ring while muttering the prayers the scroll described.

Commune: Earth (1 raise for clarity, 1 (free) for extra question or to wake up if needed): 5d10o10k3 39

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Daitomu

Thinking about what he was going to ask the earth kami, Daitomu barely even notices the question, the weapons, or much else.

Initiative: 3d10o10k2 8

Waiting my turn, which could be a while.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Daitomu

When fists and blades start flying, Daitomu knows to keep his head down. A quick prayer, a whispered word to the ambient water spirits, droplets from spilled cups, sweat and blood in the air, and the Lion was propelled. He wasn't sure if Itaru was the best choice, but the Lion seemed like he could hurt someone before they hurt Daitomu.

Defense Stance, Armor TN 19. Casting The Rushing Wave: 3d10o10k2 10, 1 free raise (duration) since it is travel. Itaru gets a free move of Water*10 each of the next two rounds.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Daitomu

Things were quickly getting very bloody. Daitomu could feel them, even here, cowering in the shadows. The Lords of Death were after him, but he was a game to them and they would not take him here, so easily and simply. Not while there were others around who did not even respect them. Daitomu locks eyes with a spirit that only he can see, and with a shaking hand, points at the Yasuki, while slipping away towards the exit, ready to block it from anyone who might flee.

Using my other water spell slot to Blessings of the Shi-Tien Yen-Wang the Yasuki. Contested Will: 3d10o10k3 27. If I win, he can't explode dice or get rerolls next round. Then draw my Yari and move 10' towards the door for my free action.

pre:
TNtBH: 19	 Init: 8	Stance: Defense    Void: 2/2
Wound Track:     [OOOOO OOOOO OOOOO]+0 [OOOOOO]+3 [OOOOOO]+5 
[OOOOOO]+10 [OOOOOO]+15 [OOOOOO]+20 [OOOOOO]+40 [OOOOOO] RIP
Spells: 3/3 Earth, 2/2 Fire, 0/2 Water, 2/2 Free

Dagon fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Feb 21, 2013

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Moto Daitomu

"You do know where Toturi's Army is, or your sandals are on the wrong feet?"

Daitomu was getting a little confused himself. "Maybe I should go consult the earth, the spirits speak in less riddles."

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Daitomu

"Wait, what? Where do you get the other sandal from? Do they never find its mate?"

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Daitomu

"We should help the owner of this place with the mess too. No sense in depriving the man of his livelihood with a pile of corpses."

7 to take Lore: Theology to 4, 2 to take Sincerity to 2, and 1 for Investigation 1.

Ready to move on.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Daitomu

Was it this easy? Chat with a monk and beat up, no- murder, a few people. Were they just there at the right place and time? Everything was falling in their favor... except Dai.

But they were here, in the camp of Toturi the Black. Daitomu looked over the books. Why would a army of ronin need books? His head was full of questions, so perhaps it was a good time to just sit back and rest a moment. He picks up a book, something mundane and pointless, and finds a place to sit and act interested in the words.

Daitomu didn't say anything about the mission, but would express an interest in helping the cause.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Daitomu

"Unfortunate." Daitomu says, searching for appropriate words, but finding none other. "You two, then? You guide this army in his name?"

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Daitomu

"Moshi-san speaks the truth. We all heard the sound of a chime that only rings in the presence of the favored son of heaven." Daitomu adds. "As I am sure you know, we must be careful with this information. There is no doubt your armies are full of honorable samurai, but what of scorpion infiltrators? Revealing the emperor too soon may start a war we cannot hope to win without support."

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Daitomu

"Yes, where, and uh," Daitomu glances back and forth between Asano and Gennosuke, "who is Doji Shika?"

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Daitomu

"An Otomo, undone by his own hubris? A likely story! If none have returned sane, then we are surely the right mix of mental states to solve this riddle, and give Toturi a base of operations.

May we have use of the camp to prepare, before we depart?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Daitomu

"I think we are looking for Shika," whoever that is, "and the mystery of what is driving people mad. If we can survive the madness ourselves, then Toturi's Army gains a fortress, and we, hopefully, gain their support. At least that is what I gathered."

Daitomu sets his pack down, adjusting the positioning of the scroll case. There were a few spells he may need quick access to in such a place, and those get checked to be sure they weren't damaged along the way, and placed in an easy location. He didn't have anything specifically for dealing with an angry spirit, but if they had a body, he had a spear, and this time, it would be ready. He unties the wrappings around the head of it, tucking them away, before setting out.

"Deal with spirits like you'd deal with any other trespasser. We tell them to get out, and if they don't listen," he makes a thrust with the butt of the yari, "pow!"

• Locked thread