Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Hayuma

Hayuma watches the duel with some interest. It's a bad sign. While the Shadowlands are quiet now, the forces of Fu Leng are always out there, waiting. That's why those assigned to the Wall must always be ready, committed to defending the wall rather than engaging in personal vendettas. So, to see the two dueling, or worse, brawling, is a bad sign indeed. He sees that one of his companions seems to be seeking out more information about the event, so he stays close ho her, hoping that she'll be able to uncover what is going on.

code:
Name: Otomo Hayuma           Rank:  1
Clan:   Imperial	     Experience: 95/100 
School: Otomo Courtier       Insight:  158

Earth: 3 	 Air: 3		Honor:   6
 Sta:  3	 Ref: 3		Glory:   2
 Wil:  3	 Awa: 4		Infamy:  0
Water: 2	Fire: 3		Status:  1
 Str:  2	 Agi: 3		Taint:   0
 Per:  2	 Int: 3
	Void: 2
Wounds
Healthy  (+ 0):  15
Nicked   (+ 3):   6
Grazed   (+ 5):   6
Hurt     (+10):   6
Injured  (+15):   6
Crippled (+20):   6
Down     (+40):   6
Out           :   6

Skill		Rank	Trait   	Emphasis

Etiquette        3      Awareness
Courtier         3      Awareness       Manipulation
Investigation    2      Perception
Intimidation     3      Awareness       Control
Defense          1      Reflexes
Sincerity        3      Awareness
Lore (Theology)  1      Intelligence
Kenjutsu         3      Agility
Caligraphy       1      Intelligence
Iajitsu          2      Reflexes

Advantage	              Points    Disadvantage	Points

Allies (Otomo Yoshiro 4,1)      4       Rumormonger           5
Techniques

The Voice of Heaven 

Equipment

Wakizashi
Knife
Calligraphy Set
10 Koku

Weapon		Attack	Damage	Notes
Wakizashi	6k3	4k2	

Epicurius fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jun 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Hayuma

Hayuma, stepping into the office, hurries to clarify the Kaiu's words. It's not that he said anything incorrect, of course, but he said it in a coarse and unappealing manner that, while sometimes necessary, can offend. And it wouldn't do to offend the watchpoint commander without cause. Not yet. (Of course, he thinks to himself, as a Crab, the watchpoint commander might not even see the threat in Kaiu's words. They sometimes accept the most appalling rudeness.

"We realize, of course, the difficulty of your task, especially the difficulties that sometimes can occur when multiple clans are required to work together on a project. Indeed, one of the reasons we're here is to discover any problems that you might be facing due to these extraordinary circumstances and help fix them if possible. I know we are outsiders here, and not so familiar with the situations that you face down here on the Wall, so, I would consider it a kindness if you could tell us your impressions on the situation, and any concerns you might have."

6k3 Aware/Etiquette (or is that courtesy?) to smooth over any ruffled feathers and get info out of him

Epicurius fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Jan 28, 2013

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Hayuma

Hayuma doesn't say anything, but quietly is in agreement with the Soshi. It would do good to see these performances and their effects. Then he thinks for a minute as something Tarou said stands out. "You've said that the patrols now are the same as they've always been? But there are so many more people. What do the rest do all day?"

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Hayuma

"Strange, strange, indeed", Hayuma mutters to himself as he takes in the spectacle. "Why did you have no tribe, Ch'kriri? What happened to it?" Hayuma realizes he knows little of the nezumi, the strange rat devils who dwell in the Shadowlands and fight the corruption there.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Hayuma

"I've heard it said that it's bad luck to watch rehearsals. I'm sure if we're still here when they perform, we'll be able to watch the performance. But I agree with Tarou-san and Masami-san. We should continue our inspection, I think." He looks at the Nezumi in the kimono again. "Yes, we should continue the inspection."

Epicurius fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jan 30, 2013

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Hiyama

Masami-san, it's all well and good to say this, and really it's important that they all cooperate on the wall, but every clan has its own customs and own way of living. Is it wise to try to bring them together like that? Is it even possible?"

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Hayami

Hayami is shocked at the news. "And the Lion are supposed to be famous for Bushido!", he exclaims, half out loud. "Tarou-san, we clearly need to find Sayako-san at once. You know this area and we do not. Where would she run? Only if we find her and execute her quickly can we keep this from turning into a bigger thing." It was, of course, obvious to anyone who could see it. The Hida and Matsu had quarreled, and while the arrival of the inspection team had broken the brawl up, unfortunately, their rage (both Hida and Matsu were known for their fury) remained. So, Sayako came to finish the job of the day before, and then, filled with shame for her actions, fled the Wall.

It was sad, but that's what can come of mingling the clans like that for an extended period.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Hayami

Hayami considers the Utaku's suggestion of a Shadowlands assassin and dismisses it. "Are you suggesting there's some assassin from the Shadowlands hiding nearby? If so, why kill her? Wouldn't an assassin strike at Haruma-san or someone important? Why just a regular guard? More likely she was killed by the woman she quarreled with, who then disappeared. At any rate, I agree we need to find Sakayo. But did Sakayo have any friends here? Maybe one of them would know something about where she might go or what she might do. Otherwise, we're just running around blind."

"Take us to the Lion barracks", he orders Tarou. "If we're done here?", he asks the rest.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Hayama

"I was overwhelmed by your acting talent, and decided to throw myself at your feet as your servant, Serika-san", he says jokingly. "But alas, we are here for another reason. You have no doubt heard that Hida Yoshimi is dead and Matsu Sayako is missing? We were hoping that there might be something here that might tell us what happened to her, or someone here who might have some idea as to where she might be. Is there anything you might know that can help us, Serika-san?

Investigation/perception to interrogate her? 4k2.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Hayama

The Otomo had been quiet, letting the others take the lead, but the questions and answers just confirmed what he thought. The Matsu was a troublemaker, a brawler, who had some quarrel with Hida Yoshimi. He looks at the rest of them, and then says in a low voice, "Unless you have any more questions, perhaps we should go to the Crab barracks. If we know what the grudge was about, it might give us some clue as to where to look for her."

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Hayama

"Forgive us the intrusion, Kuni-san. Fortunately, no one is in need of your medical services. Instead, we come seeking your help of a different kind. Tell us, please, is there any of the medicinal opium missing from the stores? We found some opium that was hidden, and were afraid that the person who hid it might have been stealing it from the camp. We would be quite grateful for any help you might give. It may help bring a thief and murderer to justice."

Aware/Courtier to influence her to help us. 6k3

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Hayama

"Don't jump to conclusions.", Hayuma mumbles to the Matsu, quietly, so that others won't be able to hear. We've been here less than a day. We don't yet know what the story is behind the murder and the smuggling. And one of the things you learn quickly at the Capital is that, when you come across something so obvious that you can't believe no one has seen it before, it's probably a trap."

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Hayama

Hayama considers Sayako's amswer. "If you were lovers, Sayako-san, why were you and she fighting when we came across you yesterday?"

Epicurius fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Feb 12, 2013

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Hayama

Hayama lets the others ask their questions as he tries to take in the situation. There are serious problems here, even not considering the mysterious murderer and kidnapper. Rampant opium use, bad blood between the clans assigned to guard the Wall, trained samurai so involved in their private passions they neglect their duties. It's a good thing for the Empire that the creatures of the Shadowlands are temporarily in retreat, because if the rest of the wall is in the same shape as this watchpost, Hayama doubts the Empire can hold.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Hayama

Hayama joins in the search. A saying about too many cooks starts to come to mind.

Since everyone else is, Investigation, 4k2

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Hayama

'What they did with their leisure time was no business of anyone's while it did not interfere with that.', Koichi had said. Clearly true, Hayama agreed, but it was also clear that their private activities did interfere in their duties. Three warriors have died really to no purpose. But he doesn't say any of this. No use, he decides, arguing with Koichi. Ginzo is doing enough of that, and no reason to offend Koichi more than necessary.

"It is premature yet to say what will be in the reports", he addresses Koichi. "But it's our intention only to address the garrison's readiness, and not personal gossip. There's no need for sordidness, I'm sure."

Awareness/Sincerity, 6k3

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Hayama

There is a good deal that Hayama could write about the lack of discipline or combat readiness in the camp, but that's not his warrant. It's merely a question of the troops' loyalty to the Empire, and he doesn't see any overt disloyalty, although, like Matsu-san, he's concerned that the troops' first loyalty is to their clans, and he includes that in his report. He also points out that there seems to be a concern that their passions may override their duty or loyalty

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Hayama

Hayama, who had been quiet as the others made fools of themselves in front of the Hida, takes a look at the accommodations. "It is clear that the Crab do not waste their funds on luxuries.", he says to the rest of them with a slight sniff before entering his room. When inside, he washes (he'd prefer a bath, but there probably isn't enough time) and changes out of his travelling clothes into court clothing. Then, taking out a makeup kit, he powders his face and draws in his eyebrows. He's a representative of the Emperor, and he's going to show that, and perhaps court finery and correct behavior will overawe the half barbarian Crab. He sits and blackens his teeth.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Hayama

Hayama looks around the court chambers. Poor Hida Sukune. Consumption was usually fatal in the long term, and, at any rate, would make him a laughing stock among the vigorous Crab. Well, nothing much to do with him, although he keeps it in mind. It's a weakness among the Crab, this rift between him and his father, and one that might be exploited.

He stands back, trying to identify the other courtiers and the relationships between them through their body language and who they speak to, and then watches with mixed horror and amusement at the Matsu who has decided to publically introduce herself to the assembled group.

Examining the crowd and trying to figure out the power dynamics and relationships. Would that be investigation? Courtier?

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Hayuma

Hayuma continues to scan the room while this is going on, hoping to find where true power lies in this room, the connections between people, and possible points of fracture.

Aware/Courtier 6k3 This is the first time I tried to do this on invisible castle. I think I did it right.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Hayuma

While the rest of them are fascinated by the monk who so highly regards infrastructure (odd, for one of his kind), Hayuma goes over to the Doji. "This isn't as exciting a court as you're used to, Doji-san?", he asks. "It must be very dull for one of the Crane. Hardly anything to compare to Kyuden Doji, I'm sure. Why, does anything even happen in this court at all? You must get so bored here."

Trying to get the Doji to open up/gossip/bitch about the court and its inhabitants. Awareness/Courtier 6k3

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Hayuma

"Oh, I'd imagine it must be so incredibly boring. Debating logistics? This place must be starved for decent conversation or diversion." His eyes flick over to the Asako. "At least you get some guests here. Or is the Asako a permanent resident? I didn't know the Phoenix were defending the walls now."

Courtier 6k3, specialty manipulation to get him talking about the Asako.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Hayuma

"To broaden one's knowledge of infrastructure? What a fascinating topic! Still, I'd imagine that there are those who interest themselves in all sorts of topics, no matter how dull, and that's what the Asako are known for, isn't it? Don't they seek to know everything about everything? If you'll excuse me, Doji-san, I should go and find out discoveries he has made!", he says in slightly sarcastic tone. Hayuma has, he thinks, found his target.

Excusing himself from the Doji, he goes over to introduce himself to the Asako. "Greetings, Asako-san. I am Otomo Hayuma. I trust that you are enjoying yourself at court? You're interested in infrastructure, is that right?"

Introducing myself to the Asako, trying to win his trust and find out exactly why he's here. Courtier 6k3, manipulation

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Hayuma

Hayuma listens. This isn't exactly what he had expected, but still, perhaps knowledge could be gained here. People caught up in a passion are sometimes indiscreet.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Hayuma

"This is indeed a most fascinating topic. One takes infrastructure so much for granted, it's hardly thought of, Asako Doruki-san, but it's so vital, which makes me even more impressed by your knowledge. That's why I don't pay any attention to the people who. . .but no, never mind. It's nothing." He waits until the Asako reacts and continues. "It's just, well, look at Doji-san over there. He's a master of poetry. That's what he focuses on. But it would be wrong of him to call you a dilettante, just because your base of knowledge is broader than his. I certainly don't think there's anything shameful about it.:

6k3 to use the technique "The Voice of Heaven"

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Hayuma

"Ah, cousin.", he says, and the faintest hint of a smile can be seen on his face. "I must confess, I did it because the man was so boring. This court, it seems that all they talk of are building projects. Important work, I'm sure, but. . . But this one was apparently too dull to know he was being insulted. Eh, shigata ga nai."

"But, Jiyo-chan, I haven't seen you since Totomo's elevation to Dai-so-ig-i. You're married now, and to a Matsu no less. Is it terrible, being stuck down here? Do you manage to keep busy, or is it just talk of infrastructure? You'd heard I married Haru-hime? I think you know her."

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Hayuma

He seems almost apologetic when he says. "Thank you. She's a good woman. I'm sorry that father broke off the betrothal, It wasn't my choice, you know. I wanted you to know that." He stops for a minute as the full impact of her words sink in. "Is it really so bad down here? I could write father. He might be able to do something; get your husband transferred off the wall. Get him sent to Shiro Matsu or something. Father doesn't have the influence he did, but he can try."

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Hayuma

Scaring off people is my specialty. Banking the xp for now. As far as actions, if Jiyo wants me to, I'll write a letter to my father about her circumstances. It might not do any good, but I can try.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Hayuma

Hayuma puts his fan up to his face. That...didn't go well. Such plain speaking had its place on the battlefield, but not so much in court. He just considered it lucky that they were in a Crab court and not one of the Crane or Scorpion, for the Crab were so much more tolerant of...outbursts, than the more civilized clans were. Still, this was a setback, and it made their task to root out corruption and disloyalty on the wall harder.

But, a setback was not a defeat. When Sukune-dono had recovered, he would see about regaining ground. That monk, though. He was someone to watch. The way he jumped to assist medically. It's possible he was just trying to follow the teachings of Shinsei, but if Hayuma had any experience at court at all, and he did, he'd bet the other man wanted something.

Trying a lore/theology roll of my own to discover what I know about the Order of the Viper. 4k3

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Hayuma

Hayuma waits a minute, and then heads over to Doji Saito. "Saito-domo", he says, "I hope you are recovering from this morning's meeting. There was certainly excitement, if nothing else. This is why more Matsu aren't found in court, I'm sure.", he says, trying to make a joke of it. "While her timing was atrocious and her words uncivilized, she wasn't without a point, you know. Morale along the wall seems very low right now; the forces along the wall not a coherent unit. If the forces of the Shadowlands were to come in force, I wonder if the defenses could be maintained."

Lobbying this guy to try to win him over to the 'Do something about lack of unit cohesion' side, Courtier 6k3, manipulation

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Hayuma

He sighs. "Clearly, it's regrettable. One certainly hopes that before attending court, one understands the basic niceties of behavior. But I suppose it can't be helped. Oh, I did mean to ask, that monk who was here, do you know anything about him or his order? I like to think I'm a good Shinseist, but I can't keep up with all the different sects."

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Hayuma

"An excellent idea. If you will excuse me, I will do so presently", Hayuma says, taking his leave.

He walks over to the monk. "Greetings, teacher. Mioht you do me the honor of telling me about your order?"

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Hayuma

Hayuma smiles slightly. "Why, teacher, who would ever keep you from going wherever an eminent person such as yourself desires? It's certainly none of my concern. But, perhaps, with knowledge of your purpose here, I could assist you in carrying out and thereby gain the favor of the fortunes and begin go remove myself from the great wheel?"

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Hayuma

"I must say that that is an impressive attitude, Jinmen. Too many monks are content to sit in their monasteries and attempt to block out the outside world, instead of learning from it, as Shinsei demanded. I have faith that I will hear much about your order in time to come."

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Hayumi

Seeing that the afternoon session is about to begin, Hayumi nods his head to be monk and the Kaiu, and goes b back to find his place.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Hayuma

Hayuma sees Doruki leave and follows him, curious as to what the other man is up to.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Hayuma

Hayuma follows the man, not taking any special precautions to not be seen, but trying to make it seem like he doesn't have much of an interest...like he was going in that direction anyway.

Otomo don't sneak...especially when they don't have any ranks in stealth and only have an agility of 2

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Hayuma

"Wait, Asako-domo, I wanted to talk to you!", Hayuma says, trying to come up with a plausible reason for following the other man out. "Do you have a moment to talk?"

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Hayuma

"Well, Doruki-domo, I was hoping you could tell me what you thought about the proposal to improve morale along the wall? Do you agree that it's a problem that needs to be dealt with, and that the condition of morale is more serious than the condition of the barracks? But, if you're busy, of course, we can certainly discuss it some other time. Where were you going, by the way, if you don't mind my asking? Would you like a companion? I'm new here, of course, and don't know the area well."

Trying to ferret out where he was going and what he was doing? 6k3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Hayuma

Hayuma bows as the other one scurries off. What a strange little man. Shrugging, he heads back to the main chamber. Perhaps his cousin can give him more information about the Asako.

• Locked thread