Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
CONGRATS TO Saffron by Captain_Indigo as the winner of this contest!

CONGRATS TO Dungeons, Inc. by DirkGently for Best D&D!

UnCO3 posted:

Ad Blurbs and Outlines
1) Tellurian by Error 404
2) Time Gladiators by Jon Joe
3) 迷宮&竜の罰ゲーム by MikanV
4) Letters by Dagon
5) Age of Dinosaurs by Dire Human
6) Metamorphosis Hill by Humbug Scoolbus and outline here
7) Open World by Gau and outline here
8) Die Underground by Golden Bee
9) FIVE FINGERS OF FRIENDSHIP by Ominous Jazz
10) Microfantasia by MadRhetoric
11) Swordsmen and Sorcerers by neongrey
12) Virtuemancy by TheSoundNinja
13) Monsters & MurderHobos by Splicer and outline here
14) Robosaur: the time war by Cardinal Ximenez and ad blurb here
15) Dungeon Adventure by Rulebook Heavily
16) Dungeons and Dragons: Core by Barudak and Minutia
17) Saffron by Captain_Indigo
18) Adventure Friends! by Fuego Fish
19) Hellhole by PixelScum
20) Houses and Hauntings by Alien Rope Burn
21) Caverns and Wyrms by lord_daeloth
22) Empyrean by Etherwind (RIP) and Reene
23) Sawn-Off Shadowrun by ELF Captain Hats
24) Dungeons, Inc. by DirkGently
25) RetrOS by Gr3y
26) KOBOLD: Super Shortened Edition by mepstein73 and LowellDnD
27) DnD: Greatest Hits by eth0.n
28) Heroes of the Fallen Lands by Angrymog
29) Campfire by piL
30) Base Circumstance by bahamut
31) Abomination by UnCO3

Reviews: 1-17, 18-25, 26-31

Progress
1) Die Underground by Golden Bee
2) Dungeons, Inc. by DirkGently
3) Tellurian by Error 404
4) 迷宮&竜の罰ゲーム by Mikan
5) Age of Dinosaurs by Dire Human
6) Dungeon Adventure by Rulebook Heavily
7) Open World by Gau
8) Time Gladiators by Jon Joe
9) Letters by Dagon
10) Saffron by Captain_Indigo
11) Robosaur: the time war by Cardinal Ximenez
12) Caverns and Wyrms by lord_daeloth
13) Microfantasia by MadRhetoric
14) KOBOLD: Super Shortened Edition by mepstein73 and LowellDnD
15) Dungeons and Dragons: Core by Barudak and Minutia
16) Swordsmen and Sorcerers by neongrey
17) Sawn-Off Shadowrun by Captain Hats
18) Base Circumstance by bahamut
19) Houses and Hauntings by Alien Rope Burn
20) Adventure Friends! by Fuego Fish
21) Virtuemancy by TheSoundNinja
22) Empyrean by Etherwind and Reene
23) DnD: Greatest Hits by eth0.n
24) Abomination by UnCO3
25) RetrOS by Gr3y
26) Hellhole by PixelScum THE SHAMEFULLY LATE

Drop-outs: Humbug Scoolbus, Ominous Jazz, Splicer, Angrymog, piL.

Reviews: 2-9, 1/17/10-13, 14-16/18-21, 22-26

Full Rules
1) Tellurian by Error 404
2) Open World by Gau
3) Microfantasia by MadRhetoric
4) Caverns and Wyrms by lord_daeloth
5) 迷宮&竜の罰ゲーム by Mikan
6) Virtuemancy by TheSoundNinja submitted for short review
7) Saffron by Captain_Indigo submitted for short review
8) Dungeons, Inc. by DirkGently
9) Dungeons and Dragons: Core by Barudak and Minutia submitted for short review
10) Swordsmen and Sorcerers by neongrey
11) RetrOS by Gr3y
12) Houses and Hauntings by Alien Rope Burn
13) Abomination by UnCO3
14) DnD: Greatest Hits by eth0.n
15) Robosaur: the time war by Cardinal Ximenez
16) Kobold: Super Short Edition by mepstein73
Drop-outs: Golden Bee, Dire Human, Rulebook Heavily, Jon Joe, Dagon, LowellDnD, Captain Hats, bahamut, Fuego Fish, Etherwind and Reene, PixelScum.

Reviews: not done yet

Playtesting
Not done yet

Hello TG! Not too long ago a conversation began in the D&D Next Thread

Winson_Paine posted:

This thread is hitting the bumpy slopes down to becoming Grogs.txt Jr. again or at least sort of a brain damaged version of the design thread where no one talks about what D&D is or has been and instead hares off on what they would want it to be in some place that never existed. I am going to suggest a constructive thing for the next contest, I will need someone to run/judge it to take some of the pressure off and maybe make this thread a little less shite.

and then this was said

Ulta posted:

Maybe something along the lines of getting to a true basic core. Design something that is D&D, but you only have 2 pages, single space, times new roman, 12 point font.

and thus The February Design Contest was decided

But fear not fans of games other than D&D! Entries for any system, condensed version of other games or entirely original will be accepted and judged. D&D entries will not gain any special advantage in the main competition! Dungeons and Dragons inspired entries will be, however, eligible for an additional prize!

Objective

At the end of the month, you must have a fully playable game system that fits the textual format described below.

Format

Ulta posted:

There seems to be some confusion on this, my ambiguous wording, so I'm adding this to the OP.

Your final product can be in any format you like. If I suspect you have written too much, I will ask for all the text, stripped of formatting, then put in single space, times new roman, 12 point font on Google Docs. This will be used to evaluate length, and nothing else. This requirement is independent of the space requirement.

The space requirement gives your final product 374 square inches to present itself. This is 4 sides of A4 paper. You do not have to use A4 paper. If I suspect you have taken too much space, I will measure.

Officially, all of the text of your final product must fit on two pages, single spaced, times new roman, 12 point font. I will be using Google Drive to judge this, so if you are unsure, put your stuff in there.

"Ah ha!" says the clever goon "I will use pictures and take as many pages as I want."

Sorry, I do not have time to look at your RPG in comic book form. In addition to the above stipulation You final product must fit on 4 sides of 8.5 by 11 inches pieces of paper (aka A4, or basic printer paper). This means if you were to print your final product on both sides of the paper, it would take two pieces of paper. You can also get creative if you wish, as long as you stick to the prescribed area. A single sided poster 17 by 22 inches would also be acceptable for example.

Also formatting, presentation and fluff will be a significant part of scoring this time around

Rules

1. Discussion abut your game and how to condense D&D into a sweet nugget of playing in your parents basement when you were twelve is certainly allowed and encouraged, but edition warring, D&D Next bashing, and general unpleasantness will get you kicked from the contest faster than a monk with barbarian levels.

2. Lateness! Strictly bad and unacceptable. February is the shortest month, so I do not have time to deal with late things. I am a busy man with many important papers and important appointments and these video games will not play themselves.

3. One game per entrant. Up to two authors per game!

4. The overall winner and the D&D winner may be the same person.

5. A play test is a prerequisite for even being considered eligible for prizes!

6. The format of the contest should be familiar to you all now. Outlines will be due Feb. 3 at Midnight GMT. Part 1 will be done Feb 10th Midnight GMT, Part 2 will be due the 17th Midnight GMT, and the final play test must be in by Feb 28th Midnight GMT

The outlines, parts 1 and 2 will be judged on a 10 point scale, with bonus objectives. Any score of 8 or above will net you a bonus, which will be used in the case of a tie. A score of 0 will disqualify you from the contest.

The final contest will be judged slightly differently. Up to 5 points will be awarded for Presentation, Up to 5 points will be awarded for Fluff, Up to 10 points for how the actual play test goes. Once again the most important part of this contest is how your play test goes. A great presentation will not save clunky mechanics.

Carrying over from last contest, you may play test your own game, but incentives will be offered to play test others games.

Prizes
Lets get to the good stuff

There are two tiers of prizes for this contest! For the overall winner, they will have the following choices!

$50 for a charity of your choice, donated in your name!*

or

$30 Gift Certificate for DrivethruRPG!

or

a forum upgrade!

Like heroes in all great stories, a moral choice must be made! RPGs, internet cred, or helping the townsfolk!

Second place gets to watch in envy.

On the D&D side of things, conveniently DrivethruRPG has started stocking Dungeons and Dragons pdfs. The winner of the D&D contest will get a package of these pdfs based on their preferences, approximately a 30 dollar value.

*said charity must be a registered US 501(c) organization

Inspiration

Look at this game. This is what I am holding up as something that would win.

Humor is also a valid way to go!

Outline and Ad blurb

Your Project Outline must contain no less than half a page of text and no more than five pages. If you write 5 pages, this does not bode well for your final product, and you will have to do trimming for the next part. Your ad blurb (a short pitch of the game, as if going on the back of the book) must be no more than 250 words. Yes, like all the other times, we’re demanding an ad blurb.

If your organization involves wiki or Google docs, I will copy the whole thing into Word in size 12 Times New Roman single column and line spacing and check for myself. More detailed and complete project outlines will be regarded more highly.

The outline and blurb may be presented separately or together: however, they must be clearly marked as such (title and mark not included in the total word count) and the actual outline must still fill half a page on its own. Your blurb is not an outline.

Scoring for Outline Ad blurb

I am stealing Mors Rattus's judging rubric for this outline.

1. How complete and detailed your outline is and how clear your goals for the game is. A good project outline is a strong step towards completion. You will be rated from 0 to 5, with points awarded for Clarity (how easy your outline is to understand for someone not privy to your thoughts), Completeness (How many of the required rules modules and their component elements you plan ahead) and Concept (not just how interesting it is, but also how interesting you make it seem). Completeness is worth up to three points, the other two up to one each. I will be posting no further guidelines as to what Completeness entails.

2. How engaging your ad blurb is. A bad blurb is one that starts on "I guess it's like a game of romance or something" and will rate low. A good blurb is like a tiny textual orgasm that starts off slow and builds to a climax. You will be rated from 0 to 5 based on the construction of your blurb. Your goal is to sell me on what your game is about, its concepts and on wanting to try it for myself. If you want to know more, there is plenty of information on what a good blurb entails available online and I will be posting no further guidelines on it in this thread.

Bonus Objectives
1. Call the shot - Declare what prize you will be taking and why. If you chose the charity, name the charity and why its good. If you take the gift card, provide a link to what you will be buying. The forum upgrade doesn't count for this one

2. I like dinosaurs - Somehow incorporate dinosaurs into your outline or ad blurb. Basically pander to me.

3. Gary's Ghost - Have a quote from Gygax or some other "founder" incorporated in your outline. Yes it must be an actual quote and should make sense in context.

NO OUTLINE MAY BE POSTED BEFORE THE MONTH OF FEBRUARY. TO DO SO IS DISQUALIFICATION. Feel free to bandy about ideas however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Does the final 2 page product count as including our ad blurb? Also are we allowed to include excel documentation provided it fits on the two pages?

I've been thinking about this concept since it got posted Winson. I got my charts all fired up.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Barudak posted:

Does the final 2 page product count as including our ad blurb? Also are we allowed to include excel documentation provided it fits on the two pages?

I've been thinking about this concept since it got posted Winson. I got my charts all fired up.

As long as the text can be contained within the two typed pages, and the charts themselves fit within the presentation area. Charts are a good way to say a lot with a small amount of words and space and are therefore encouraged.

The ad blurb does not have to appear in your final product, but it may if you want it to. So no.

Cardinal Ximenez
Oct 25, 2008

"You could call it heroic responsibility, maybe," Harry Potter said. "Not like the usual sort. It means that whatever happens, no matter what, it's always your fault."
One word: BattleTech. :smugdog:

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012
This looks like it might be just the right thing for what I've been thinking about recently. Sort of a d&d that takes a lot of cues from narrative games. Only question is fitting it into the space requirements.

That's why it's a challenge, right?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Holy poo poo, I have a half-assed heartbreaker system idea that would be perfect for this!

Count me in tentatively.

Question: what counts for the D&D bonus objective? Like if I'm doing a fantasy game that is evocative of D&D fluff, but diverges wildly from it mechanically, is that ok?

Finally, I am probably gonna shoot for the D&D bonus, and I'll donate my (possible) victory to Child's Play.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Dungeons and Dragons is like art, I know it when I see it.

I don't want to put down explicit guidelines for what constitutes Dungeons and Dragons because D&D means different things different people, and there's 4+ different versions out there. When it comes down to it, I'll read the thing and decide, but when I do I'll keep in mind authorial intent.

To be more vague, is the fluff what makes D&D? is it the mechanical structure? is it spells and d20s? Is it cutting a ladder in half to get two poles and selling the poles for a profit? is it chokeslaming an orc? Is it just being in a dungeon and fighting a dragon? These are things you have to decide for yourself and communicate in the space allowed.

Etherwind
Apr 22, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 80 days!
Soiled Meat
Does the final "four sides" limit include a character sheet? I'm not asking out of some clever subterfuge to get around the text restriction.

Edit: I would like to make a nice character sheet to go with the idea I have, but if it counts toward the limit then gently caress it, players can make their own.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I have some minimalist, grim fantasy that just might scratch this itch.

I don't think it'll necessarily be D&D, but there will be dungeons and dragons in.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Etherwind posted:

Does the final "four sides" limit include a character sheet? I'm not asking out of some clever subterfuge to get around the text restriction.

Edit: I would like to make a nice character sheet to go with the idea I have, but if it counts toward the limit then gently caress it, players can make their own.

This is a contest where one of the challenges is economy. Also, a lot of rules can be conveyed in a character sheet. Therefore, any formal character sheet will count towards the text/space limit.

Etherwind
Apr 22, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 80 days!
Soiled Meat
I think that might be throwing the baby out with the bath water. I'll abide by the final decision, but here's a suggestion: a character sheet need not count toward the limit so long as all text and any rules that appear on it are already covered by the main rules document. So you can have a character sheet, so long as you're not using it to introduce new information or otherwise gently caress with the spirit of the contest.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ulta posted:

This is a contest where one of the challenges is economy. Also, a lot of rules can be conveyed in a character sheet. Therefore, any formal character sheet will count towards the text/space limit.
Would it counting towards the final page limit (the two pages A4 both sides) but not the text limit (two pages, single spaced, time new roman) be an acceptable compromise? Basically counting the character sheet as a "picture".

Any situation where half the rules end up on the character sheet can be dealt with via the fine tradition of "Stop taking the piss".

Etherwind
Apr 22, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 80 days!
Soiled Meat
If someone wants to get in on this with me, I've got a strong mechanical outline in place for a quick and straightforward fantasy adventure game that follows some of the D&D hallmarks while keeping it light and narrative-driven. It's fit for play testing as of ten minutes ago.

I'm specifically looking for someone who can deliver an evocative setting with few words, has an eye for presentation (illustration and layout skills are a positive: I have Photoshop skills and a eye for typography, but it's not my forte) and who has a knack for condensing information.

Basically, I need an ideas guy with aesthetic skills. Anyone up for it?

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
This one's going to be tricky. I like it.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
A question: How true to the original game do your rules need to be if you're "shortening" an already existing property? I had some possibilities I was considering that involved adapting drastically different mechanics for the game. It's fine if that's not alright too. I really don't have any trouble doing a homebrew and will probably end up doing that anyway, but basically one of the ideas I was tossing around was Rifts and figured that if I did, I might as well fix the game while I'm at it.

The advantage to Rifts is that the concept is actually super easy to explain. The world blew up, and now there are portals to everything you thought was cool when you were 14. That leaves me 1.9 pages left for mechanics.

Edit: I also think the concept is pretty sweet, so good idea!

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Character sheets
Character sheets absolutely count towards the space limit. I may be convinced that individual character sheets count as "pictures" if they contain no "new" rules content AND wording is very sparse. Sparse is a subjective term, but if a sentence appears, that's definitely not sparse. No garuntees here, and remember the spirit of the challenge is condensing. More points will definitely be awarded to those that integrate the character sheet into actual rules explanation.

Rifts
Like the D&D explaination above, Rifts means different things to different people. It's up to you to make that call. As someone who like the utter battshit crazy setting but hates the ruleset, this is a good thing to try.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES
Time to storygame all up in here.

Ether, I could probably help you with your writing/editing. If I do that, Ulta, am I disqualified from submitting a personal game?

Etherwind
Apr 22, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 80 days!
Soiled Meat
I'm assuming the "All text must fit on two pieces of A4, Times New Roman Size 12" excludes any formatting considerations like lists etc?

For example, this list:
  • Dungeon
  • Dragon
  • Loot
Takes up way more space on the page than "Dungeon Dragon Loot". I'm assuming it's the actual text that counts, not the way it's formatted?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
The way I read the OP was that if you stripped the text of all formatting it would fit on two A4 pages, single spaced, times new roman, 12 point font. With formatting and pictures and stuff it must fit on 4 sides of 8.5 by 11 inches pieces of A4 paper.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

MadRhetoric posted:

Time to storygame all up in here.

Ether, I could probably help you with your writing/editing. If I do that, Ulta, am I disqualified from submitting a personal game?

Helping is fine. I am not the helping police. Helping does not disqualify you from submitting your own game.

Splicer posted:

The way I read the OP was that if you stripped the text of all formatting it would fit on two A4 pages, single spaced, times new roman, 12 point font. With formatting and pictures and stuff it must fit on 4 sides of 8.5 by 11 inches pieces of A4 paper.

This is correct on the text side. Without formatted, you have the two pages. In terms of space, you have 374 inches squared to work with, which is 4 sides of 8.5 by 11 inches pieces of A4 paper, or a single side of a poster 17 by 22 inches, or eight 2.125 by 2.75 inches notecards with stuff on each side .

xezton
Jan 31, 2005

Ulta posted:

6. The format of the contest should be familiar to you all now. Outlines will be due Feb. 3 at Midnight GMT. Part 1 will be done Feb 10th Midnight GMT, Part 2 will be due the 17th Midnight GMT, and the final play test must be in by Feb 28th Midnight GMT

I checked the last thread, but I figured I'd ask here just to clarify:
  • The outline (Feb 3) is basically a rough draft of our idea, right?
  • Then "part 1" (Feb 10) is a progress check/first draft (not an outline)?
  • And finally "part 2" (Feb 17) is a complete game ready for playtesting?

Lastly, we can use original content, but it has to be a roleplaying system, right? Or can this be condensed rules for any style of game?

I don't really have much experience making games, but I've always been interested in rules-lite systems, so this sounds fun!

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

xezton posted:

I checked the last thread, but I figured I'd ask here just to clarify:
  • The outline (Feb 3) is basically a rough draft of our idea, right?
  • Then "part 1" (Feb 10) is a progress check/first draft (not an outline)?
  • And finally "part 2" (Feb 17) is a complete game ready for playtesting?

Lastly, we can use original content, but it has to be a roleplaying system, right? Or can this be condensed rules for any style of game?

I don't really have much experience making games, but I've always been interested in rules-lite systems, so this sounds fun!

The scedual you defined is about right. The Feb 17th deadline must have a game ready for playtest, but revisions and formatting things are allowed till the actual end of the contest.

If your asking if you can do a boardgame, the answer is no. The same compression of ideas just doesn't translate. Two pages of rules, a board and a page of cutouts actually sounds pretty standard and uncompressed to me. I'd be ok with a tactics "miniatures" game, since the compression seems comparable. What style were you thinking of?

xezton
Jan 31, 2005

I was just curious how broad of a scope we were looking at. Specifically, I was wondering about skirmish wargames (with or :what:without:what: miniatures), but it sounds like that would be OK!

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Well, I've already got some ambitious ideas about this. We'll just have to see what I can come up with.

Does a chart count for the total word spacing requirement or no? Or do we take just the actual words stripped of formatting for that?

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

ZeeToo posted:

Well, I've already got some ambitious ideas about this. We'll just have to see what I can come up with.

Does a chart count for the total word spacing requirement or no? Or do we take just the actual words stripped of formatting for that?

Technically, yes. If ten or so words is going to break you, be careful, but you might slip in under the "character sheet" ruling. Don't try and break the spirit of the contest.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Oh boy, I think I get to figure out how to distill the very essence of D&D 3.5 into two single-spaced, double-sided pages of 12-point text! This one isn't going to involve a lot of writing, so I think I'll be able to get through it this time instead of getting two modules in and losing interest!

fake edit: the Fighter will have 1/4 of a page, the Wizard will have 1/4 of the total pages.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Oh man, I can't wait for this to start!

One other question though: how important will setting fluff be in this contest?

My idea, so far, is more centered around the players and GM creating the world as they play. I'm totally going to add a default setting, but it's very much secondary to the free form aspects of play.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Error 404 posted:

Oh man, I can't wait for this to start!

One other question though: how important will setting fluff be in this contest?

My idea, so far, is more centered around the players and GM creating the world as they play. I'm totally going to add a default setting, but it's very much secondary to the free form aspects of play.

Fluff will be 5 points out of a possible 20 in the final score. 5 for presentation, 10 for how well/fun the playtest went.

Fluff does not exclusively mean metaplot. D&D in all editions has a lot of implied fluff in how you build a character.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I have an Urban Fantasy take that might work.

Can I post the logo without fear of being disqualified?

mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

Whether or not you find your own way, you're bound to find some way. If you happen to find my way, please return it, as it was lost years ago. I imagine by now it's quite rusty.
This contest... It pleases me.

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

Paladins go on quests. Everyone is a paladin.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I have an Urban Fantasy take that might work.

Can I post the logo without fear of being disqualified?

Let's save all that till the contest officially starts.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Would two PocketMod books count as "two pages"?

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Evil Mastermind posted:

Would two PocketMod books count as "two pages"?

If you put all the text in a Google Doc, single spaced, times new roman, 12 point font. Looking at this http://www.pocketmod.com/, two Pocketmod books made with A4 paper would meet the maximum space requirement.

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

I'm a little shaky on how copyright works with elfgames, but I presume writing shortened versions of things would be frowned upon if you were planning on making a profit from them, but probably okay if not. Is the same true of artwork? I'm basically asking do we have to produce all the artwork ourselves, or can we steal stuff from GIS or deviantart or whatever?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Captain_Indigo posted:

I'm a little shaky on how copyright works with elfgames, but I presume writing shortened versions of things would be frowned upon if you were planning on making a profit from them, but probably okay if not. Is the same true of artwork? I'm basically asking do we have to produce all the artwork ourselves, or can we steal stuff from GIS or deviantart or whatever?

I've seen entries in previous contests have artwork with a credit to the artist (edit: or link to the source) under the picture in question.

I'm pretty sure an amateur contest on a comedy forum counts as fair use as long as you're not a being a douchebag with someone else's art.

Cardinal Ximenez
Oct 25, 2008

"You could call it heroic responsibility, maybe," Harry Potter said. "Not like the usual sort. It means that whatever happens, no matter what, it's always your fault."

Captain_Indigo posted:

Profit is more or less irrelevant.

Rules are not copyrightable (though theoretically patentable), "artistic elements" and "presentation" are. (E.g. every retroclone ever, Monopoly)

Using art assets from other people without their permission is hypothetically grounds for damages (after all, they could have licensed the picture to you!), but in practice, people use things from GIS and DeviantArt for PBP games without major consequences.

Actual rulebooks might be pushing it, though, so I'd highly recommend getting your own art assets.

edit: Also, using other people's assets without paying for them gives a distinctly unfair advantage presentation-wise compared to those acting entirely within the bounds of the law.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Captain_Indigo posted:

Copywrite in games is very weird. Mechanics, such as rolling a d20, flipping a card, dice pools, at-will/encounter/daily etc, are not protected by copywrite. This is one of the reason why you can have the whole OSR movement and you can find generic "stacking blocks" next to Jenga. Specific words like "beholder" and "Paladin of Corym", and "Dungeons and Dragons" are protected, which is why you don't see beholders in the SRD. I could, for example, a sell 4th ed compatible class, but I can't say "This is for use with 4th edition Dungeons and Dragons" (without first signing the GSL). Someone correct me if I'm wrong here.

Pictures are copywrited as soon as they are drawn by the creator, so selling something with someone else's artwork is very bad. If you are going to use someone else's artwork for this contest, at a minimum, you need to credit them under the artwork, link to somewhere relevant, and make a good faith effort to get permission. That said, I can't score artwork that you get from elsewhere in any other aspect other than its placement. It might look cool and badass, but an appropriately placed stick figure might net you more points.

Etherwind
Apr 22, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 80 days!
Soiled Meat

Cardinal Ximenez posted:

edit: Also, using other people's assets without paying for them gives a distinctly unfair advantage presentation-wise compared to those acting entirely within the bounds of the law.

On the other hand, having the money to be able to afford commissioned art is a distinctly unfair advantage in a contest that's meant to be about game design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

Etherwind posted:

On the other hand, having the money to be able to afford commissioned art is a distinctly unfair advantage in a contest that's meant to be about game design.

What do I look like, a communist? That's the way of the world, go play some Monopoly kid.

Nah, I can't afford commissioned artwork and that's fine, stick figures will work out just swell for me!