Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Ulta posted:

If you put all the text in a Google Doc, single spaced, times new roman, 12 point font.

If I'm using a two-column layout, is that viable, or do I have to assume the formatting will be stripped out for judging?

It seems like an efficient way to use the page space for a project like this.

Etherwind posted:

On the other hand, having the money to be able to afford commissioned art is a distinctly unfair advantage in a contest that's meant to be about game design.

Actually being an artist or having layout chops doesn't hurt either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Actually being an artist or having layout chops doesn't hurt either.

I have neither, which is why the only artwork (the only image really) that's going in my entry is just a neat title page made from a picture that either came from the hot modron thread, or one of the aggregating blogs linked through it.

I tineyed my image to find the artist, and sent him an email to ask if I could use it. No reply yet, but I'm planning to fully attribute it

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

If I'm using a two-column layout, is that viable, or do I have to assume the formatting will be stripped out for judging?

It seems like an efficient way to use the page space for a project like this.

There seems to be some confusion on this, my ambiguous wording, so I'm adding this to the OP.

Your final product can be in any format you like. If I suspect you have written too much, I will ask for all the text, stripped of formatting, then put in single space, times new roman, 12 point font on Google Docs. This will be used to evaluate length, and nothing else. This requirement is independent of the space requirement.

The space requirement gives your final product 374 square inches to present itself. This is 4 sides of A4 paper. You do not have to use A4 paper. If I suspect you have taken too much space, I will measure.

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012
Would providing a character sheet count towards the page limit, assuming it does not express any information not already expressed in the rules?

DirkGently
Jan 14, 2008

eth0.n posted:

Would providing a character sheet count towards the page limit, assuming it does not express any information not already expressed in the rules?

:ssh: Someone asked that on the first page

Ulta posted:

Character sheets
Character sheets absolutely count towards the space limit. I may be convinced that individual character sheets count as "pictures" if they contain no "new" rules content AND wording is very sparse. Sparse is a subjective term, but if a sentence appears, that's definitely not sparse. No garuntees here, and remember the spirit of the challenge is condensing. More points will definitely be awarded to those that integrate the character sheet into actual rules explanation.

And given the discussion that prompted Ulta's response -- space limit = page limit as far as your question goes.

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

Ulta please start banning people from the contest for asking dumb questions to get more game space.
Gonna enter this one too, I have a strong streak of entering contests and then getting bored and quitting.

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Count me in - I've got an idea based on an old Pathfinder character of mine.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Here's an example of a game that fits on both sides of one page (plus one for the entire OGL license). It even has a cover image and the best title ever, and also it happens to be FATE which is usually hundreds and hundreds of pages.

So y'know stop worrying so much I guess.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
I am throwing my hat into the ring for this contest. The hat has been thrown. I have no unthrown hat at this moment. Hat status: thrown. The ring is currently full of thrown hat and that hat is mine.

I guess I will post something more detailed when I am more awake.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Fuego Fish posted:

I am throwing my hat into the ring for this contest. The hat has been thrown. I have no unthrown hat at this moment. Hat status: thrown. The ring is currently full of thrown hat and that hat is mine.

I guess I will post something more detailed when I am more awake.

psh, where you been? this thread gots hats thrown all over itself like a church picnic where the macaroni salad went bad.*

*thrown hats AND rules lawyering. :v:

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I had a weird half-dream for a really minimalistic game as I was falling asleep this morning, if I can remember it I will get in on this.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

It is currently Feb 1st in GMT, so the embargo against outlines is now lifted.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
CLICK IMAGE FOR OUTLINE DOCUMENT

"The Journey Ahead" Alex Alexandrov 2011

Ad Blurb
"The essence of a role-playing game is that it is a group, cooperative experience."
Gary Gygax

From the Stone Pyramids of the Dwarven holds of Chaqultec, to the Court of the Sauran emperor Rexus Mundus IV, to the sprawling temple-cities of the Elvish 'Middle Kingdom', or the dim alleys of a Freehold port city. Tellurian is a game about Heroes.

Venture forth into a land of mystery, danger, and intrigue. Only you can stand before the coming storm. Only you can face the trials ahead, with the fate of an entire world in your hands.

Tellurian is a narrative roleplaying game that encourages choice, customization, and creativity. Designed for longtime players and newcomers alike, the core rules offer a simple universal system and all the tools you need for an excellent adventure, whether it's a quick single session game or a long running campaign. Tellurian is best suited for four or five players. Join your friends and create the world you're playing in, as you play in it.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I am throwing my hat in for the D&D bonus prize. And should I win, I shall donate my winnings to Child's Play, a charity that provides games to sick children in hospitals.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Time Gladiators

Ad Blurb: Compete for fame, fortune, and glory in the multiverse's finest Colosseum, "Watch". Use your weapons, wits, and time travel ability to defeat the other participants. Will you become a piece of history, or pieces of history? Only time will tell.

Outline: Time Gladiators is a flavor based multiplayer competitive strategy game with simple mechanics. You can play as anything - a cowboy with a shotgun and trusty rifle, a brutal criminal with brass knuckles and a machine gun, a wizard with a wand, or a robopirate with a cybersword and mechanical attack parrot. You move around the arena and attack your opponents. Simple, right? Two factors make Time Gladiators much more than that. First, moves are submitted simultaneously and secretly and only revealed after you have submitted the moves for the following turn. A turn buffer, if you will, to simulate reaction time and making gameplay about outguessing your opponents. Secondly, and perhaps more important, is time travel; it is a valid move to go back in time and change one of your own (or an opponent's!) move that has already been revealed. This is not free, of course, and costs Time Energy. Time Energy is a catch all for both your ability to time travel and your health. You run out of TE and you're worse than dead. You're frozen in time. No time travel can bring you back. Thankfully there is another move you can perform, known as Waiting. Waiting restores 1 TE, but of course you can't do anything else that turn. Players start at 20 TE. Everyone has a primary and secondary weapon. The primary weapon deals 3 damage to everyone else in the same portion of the arena as you. The secondary weapon deals 2 damage to everyone else in target arena portion. For the record, there are 7 portions of the arena. 1 in the center and 6 surrounding it. Moving from portion to another is free if they're touching. If they are not touching, it costs 1 TE because you sprinted there. You must declare where you are moving or firing if you move or use your secondary weapon when you write down your move.

The first move in Time Gladiators is always selecting which portion of the arena you want to start in. This is the only move that can not be altered by time travel. Speaking of time travel, it's rather simple stuff as noted - there's no traveling forward (this prevents paradoxes) and traveling back won't change much. It costs 1 TE for each turn you travel back and 1 additional TE if you choose to change an opponent's move instead of you own. You need not declare who's move you are altering and how when you choose to change the past, only which turn you are altering. After all moves are revealed on any given turn, those who revealed traveling back in time simultaneously write down in what way they are altering past. If they choose to alter the same person on the same turn, they spoil one another's attempts and nothing changes. You can change the past to prevent yourself from changing the past, but you can not change the past to cause yourself (or anyone else) to change the past in the past, because that doesn't make sense. KISS, even with time travel. Especially with time travel!

There is, of course, the Master of Time who does not compete, but simply keep a running tally of all actions performed and makes sure to update the timeline with changes and their results. For example, Smith the robopirate might go back in time to change Brick the Intelligent Dinosaur from biting his leg off from two turns ago. It costs him 3 TE to do so and he changes Brick's primary attack action to a move action, forcing him across the stage to waste 1 TE. It just so happens that Brick's move after that was another attack which also hit Smith, but now he's chomping at air because he's halfway across the map in an area that Smith just so happened to have targeted with his secondary weapon, his mechanical attack parrot. If Brick later goes back in time to prevent Smith's time meddling, it is important to note that Smith will have never spent his 3 TE to go back in time.

Give it a try. You'll have a fun time.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Jon Joe posted:

Time Gladiators

Just want to say, this is an amazing idea. I want in on playtesting for this.

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

Click that logo to see my outline and blurb for 迷宮&竜の罰ゲーム.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Jon Joe posted:

Time Gladiators

If this is an ad blurb/outline, I can't tell where one starts and the other begins. Otherwise good.

To everyone in general Please make sure to clearly label your ad blurb and outline

mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

Whether or not you find your own way, you're bound to find some way. If you happen to find my way, please return it, as it was lost years ago. I imagine by now it's quite rusty.

Mikan posted:

Click that logo to see my outline and blurb for 迷宮&竜の罰ゲーム.

This sounds like a fun party game... I am curious to see how it progresses.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Click for Outline

Ad Blurb

Lethal at eight months.
     They way they move. Cheetah speed.
     Their brain cavity...
     Never at the same place twice.
     They Remember. Clever Girl.

Letters is a game meant to create the experience of The Game of Letters, an in-universe Legend of the Five Rings game played between courtiers to pass the time at Winter Court. A letter, including a Tanka ("short poem"), is written, packaged very carefully, and delivered to its recipient, who is compelled to reply or otherwise admit the author's superior skill.
Letters does not rely on any setting-specific mechanics or information, and as such, can be dropped into any game which needs a way for bored nobles and diplomats to subtly outwit each other, or simply played on its own with two or more players. Letters is ideal for a play by mail, email, or forum post setting using the Game Master or another way to anonymize or mask the source of the letter.

Calling my shot for the AMVF. I found them on http://www.charitynavigator.org and honestly I picked them because they give out a lot of grant money and their director doesn't make all that much. They also have been growing and I think assisting animal victims of natural disasters and aiding veterinary students (who work just as long and hard as doctors for comparatively no money) is a noble cause.

Dire Human
Feb 1, 2013

AH-HA! That's right...

Who's laughing now?

Who's laughing now?

Ad Blurb

“There was a set of plastic toys laughingly labeled as dinosaurs [if I recall correctly]. I frequented the local dime stores back in the late 60s and early 70s searching for toys that would suit tabletop fantasy gaming. [...] Scale was a bit of a problem, but when improvised figurines are all that one has, the players were quite willing to make do.”
- Gary Gygax

In an instant, the spell failed.

In a minute, they surveyed their new surroundings. They had traveled not in space, but time.

In an hour, they attacked their first beast. They had eaten its flesh and blood.

In a day, they tested their new abilities. They had gained its primal strength.

In a week, the hunt began.

This is their struggle for survival. This is their chance for glory.

This is the Age of Dinosaurs.

Age of Dinosaurs is a cooperative monster-killing game. While the combat is its own miniatures system, the characters built are compatible with 4th Edition Dungeons and Dragons. Each character assumes the role of an adventurer, lost in time, who can take the essence of the dinosaurs they slay and gain new powers and abilities.

Combat takes place without a grid, moving miniatures by inches across terrain. Most notably, while the players are using standard-size minis, the Dino Master is encouraged to improvise any and all toys, figurines, and knickknacks at his or her disposal to simulate enemies.

Click Image For Outline

Called Shot

$50 to Child’s Play, who donate toys and video games to children in hospitals.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Ulta posted:

If this is an ad blurb/outline, I can't tell where one starts and the other begins. Otherwise good.

To everyone in general Please make sure to clearly label your ad blurb and outline

Updated, sorry.

Also called shot to donate to RAINN.

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

Edit: moved to a later post.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Return with us to the glory days of the Old West deck of the Starship Warden!
Where humans were humans, and rampaging tribes of mutants plagued the settlers expanding into this dangerous zone
This is a game of outlaws and lawmen. Of the good, the bad, and the multi-limbed.

This is Metamorphosis Hill!

Metamorphosis Hill is meant to be a simple role-playing game of the western science-fantasy genre. It assumes the players and the ref already have some familiarity with role-playing. It is meant to be played in the theme of Starlost, The Magnificent Seven, Westworld, and of course any John Ford movie, so players, prepare for strange things. . .

Outline later.

Called shot to donate to the Red Cross

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Quote does not equal edit.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.
"[Gary and I] had fun. A lot of fun." - Dave Arneson

Arneson was the first to introduce the group to a fantasy setting, telling his friends to imagine that he had disappeared on a flight from Norway to the United States, returning from a family visit. The friends play-acted a scenario where they flew out to search for him. They found a cave in Iceland, entered — and on the other side was the land where Dungeons & Dragons was born.

Play is part of what makes us human. Play allows us to explore parts of ourselves and our world that we wouldn't otherwise get to experience. The brightest good and the deepest evil, the bluest skies and greenest vistas; play takes us to the limits of our imagination. It's time to test those limits again.

Open World reduces the existing *World mechanics to their bare bones: a concise framework of moves and mechanics that take the notions presented by Baker to their logical conclusion: a game that forgoes gaming for a narrative experience.

Play like you used to - in an Open World.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Die Underground.

quote:

I was a little nervous. I had a bodyguard for a while.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8b/Sofia_Dungeon.jpg
Coravan was the first to go, a joke of a fighter, a joke of a man. It was if he hadn't even seen the pit trap after the third left turn.

Kartani'ey was trickier, as elves have keen senses. It was a shame the cave troll heard her; so much for her silence.

Sir Pelawar, wise as his ancestors, could either confront me or save a maiden; he chose well, but the maiden didn't exist.
He can live underground as long as his deity abets him; or until the goblins come back.

I should probably contact their Chieftain...

---

Everything changed when Goriblad Tonk ascended, alone, from the Cave of Torments. People could say what they wanted, but he was rich; four times rich.

And they say he adventures still, sending associates to drink at inns the world over.

But it's not like dungeons were safe in the first place.

And there's no way he's still alive, is there?

---

Die Underground is the natural progression of a dungeon based economy. The people who would root through the belongings of the dead weren't very trustworthy in the first place, and they don't share.

As players adventure, they will encounter opportunities for betrayal. Not all adventures must be underground, but being miles beneath the Earth is a golden opportunity for betrayal, isn't it? Perhaps you'll have your cohorts framed for murder. Perhaps they'll be crushed by rocks, declared enemies of the faith, or butchered then sold for kobold toys.

As players are eliminated, they can activate their contigencies; secret traps, tricks, and alliances they made in case their teammates were disloyal.

The game is influenced by Paranoia, Fiasco, and Dungeon World.
WHO WILL LIVE TO BECOME RICHER THAN THEY'D EVER IMAGINED?
WHO WILL DIE UNDERGROUND?

Prize recipient: 50 bucks to Kiva.

Outline
Everyone who goes underground has a class, a race, and a gender.

Class: Stabber, Spellman (or Spellwoman), Sneaker, Psalmer, Inexplicable Eastern Hero, Singer. List three specialties of your class: when resolving ties, you win at your specialty (in the order listed here).
For example: Janet is playing Klorg, a stabber. She tries to stab Eric's Spellman right through his spell book. Eric tries to contend it; they both roll an 8. Klorg sticks his mighty blade through Eric's hands, covering the spellbook with blood!

Choose a race by combining a size, a lifespan, and a Societal Background.
Sizes: Short, Average, Hulking. Short is anything from 2' to 4.5'; average between 4.6' and 6'11; hulking is 7' and larger.
Short gives you +1 to agile or trust inspiring, -1 to strong or tough.
Average is +2 to your choice of stats, divided as you'd like, -3 to your choices, divided as you'd like.
Hulking: +2 to Strong and Tough. -2 to Agile and either Trust-Inspiring or Cunning.
Lifespan: Dozens of years, hundreds of years, thousands of years. These are just for show: You are going to die in this dungeon.
Societal Background: Civil, Tribal, Wild. Civil is +1 to trust inspiring, -1 to alert. Tribal is +1 to alert, -1 to Trust-Inspiring. Wild is +1 to Strong or Cunning, -1 to either or Strong or Cunning. (These can cancel each other out).

Choose your best trait and take +1 in it. These are the games statistics.
You are: Cunning, Strong, Tough, Agile, Alert, Trust-Inspiring.
Choose your worst trait.
You are: Idiotic, Weak, Sickly, Slow, Unobservant, Obnoxious. Take a -1 to the relevant equivalent. (They are in order, above).

Choose a prized position: A weapon, a shield, armor, a magical device such as a spellbook, a symbol of your God. Your item gives you +1 to checks with a stat of your choice. Your prized possession cannot directly your death. Your sword will not cut off your own arms; your armor won't cause you to sink in quicksand. (It won't prevent it, however.)

Deciding environmental challenges
Oppose the environment with Strength, Cunning, Toughness, Agility, Alertness, or Inspiring Trust. Roll 2d6 and add your value. If it's something your class would succeed in normally,

Combat
Create a deck of cards labeled between 1 and 1+total number of players and monsters. At the beginning of combat, everyone takes one. That's your initiative.

Combat is an environmental challenge. Everyone starts with 8+Tough HP and deals 1d4+Strength or +Cunning HP.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
I made this at work and Spiderfist Island helped.

FIVE FINGERS OF FRIENDSHIP

“None of us is as strong as all of us”

“Welcome to friendworld.”

Years ago, the mighty man tamed the savage lands with the conqueror’s vessel: The Friendship, a war machine powered by the spirit of cooperation. Through the power of friendship and brotherhood, the lands were laid bare. Now, centuries later, five heroes will recapture that spirit. Five of the realms mightiest mortals work together in search of wealth and greatness. Brotherhoods will be forged, rivalries will brew, and blood will be shed.

There are five types of people in the world, Or, Shipping and YOU!

Five Fingers of Friendship is a cooperation based rpg with five indistinct classes. In fact, all of the classes have the same damage range and hit points. It doesn’t matter HOW you hit. It matters WHO you hit!

The relationship pentagon gives us which class is better than another. The arrow indicates a natural advantage. If your class has a natural advantage, you deal a Super Effective attack, giving you an extra D6 to damage! A Paladin, with years of divine discipline, will always have an advantage over the wild mercenary Fighter. Wizards, who laugh at the laws of nature, have an advantage over the elf. And so on.

The Purple Ring indicates the order for social situations. Starting from the rogue, it proceeds clockwise. The GM (hereafter described as the Friendgineer) always goes last, unless it as part of an ability which can only make them go first.

The Red Ring indicates the order for combat. Starting from the rogue, it proceeds counterclockwise. Again, the GM goes last.

The Green Ring indicates the order for environmental situations. Starting from the elf, it proceeds clockwise.

“Rivalry is just friendship with a knife”

Each class has 18 HP. Hit Points aren’t just used for combat situations, but for social, environmental, and metaphorical situations. The same applies for the Bro/Rival powers and the shipping grid. To calculate damage, you roll a D6. Each class has a Bro and a Rival. By default, your rival is the class you have an advantage to and you are allowed to choose your bro. No one can have the same bro, unless under a temporary effect.

Monsters follow the same class system. One could call a Mindflayer a wizard. A bear could be a warrior. A bear hiding in a tree could be construed as a rogue. A cliff with significant religious meaning could be a paladin.

Can your friendship survive the trials ahead and the lust for gold? Can you work with your rival instead of against? Can you truly comprehend natures harmonious shipping five pointed triangle? Find out when you play
FIVE FINGERS OF FRIENDSHIP

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES
Gonna be ~*skiing*~ and ~*Harbowling*~ over the weekend so I have to do this now.

Microfantasia

"...The best part of this work is the play, so play and enjoy!"
-Gary Gygax

Mighty heroes. Fantastic lands. Magic, romance and mystery. All of it in the palm of your hand. Microfantasia is a fantasy game that lets you be as free as you can be. No charts, no baggage, just you, your friends, and a few moments of your time. Easy to pick up, easy to play, a new adventure awaits every day.

Outline

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I'm gonna play the poo poo outta like... Every single one of these games. And I can teach everybody else in like five minutes! This contest rocks socks

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Swordsmen and Sorcerers
A game of going into a dungeon and leaving a smoking hole in the ground behind you.

In Swordsmen and Sorcerers, there are three constants: swordsmen, sorcerers, and kicking the door in. Swordsmen solve problems by hitting things, sorcerers solve problems by casting spells at them, and if a door that's still attached to its hinges just isn't open.

A generally freeform game, Swordsmen and Sorcerers requires at least two people, but the more the merrier. You declare how you're going to solve the problem at hand, be it a horde of goblins, a wagon that's missing a wheel, or a closed door, and the game master evaluates how many times more impressive it is than kicking a door in. That's how many dice you roll to see how well you do it. If it's equal to or less impressive than kicking a door in, no need to roll, just go right ahead and do it!

A swordsman works by using his sword and his muscles. There's no problem he can't solve by hitting it hard enough or in the right way. The only swordsman who's not as versatile as a sorcerer just isn't being creative enough!

A sorcerer works by using his mind as his magic. Any problem he runs into can be solved by casting a powerful enough spell. The only sorcerer who's weaker than a swordsman is one who's not using his spells right!

Example:
GM: "The dungeon room is ten feet by ten feet, all grey stone. The shards of the door you entered by are still falling to the ground behind you. There's another door on the opposite wall."

A swordsman: "I walk up to the door and rear back, giving the door a serious roundhouse kick."

GM: "The door shatters under the force of your kick, sending splinters flying everywhere. On the other side, you see..."

-or-

A sorcerer: "I shoot lightning bolts of all different colours from my hands at the door."

GM: "A thunderclap cracks in your ears as the door explodes into pieces flying everywhere, leaving just the scent of ozone behind. On the other side, you see..."

e: I will be playing for the Winnipeg Humane Society who are Canadian but otherwise reputable. They are my local humane society, and while they are not no-kill, they do their very best and last I heard they didn't need to put down any dogs at all. Cats are another story, but there's that many more of them. They are good people and they need more support, their emergency line only runs until 11:30 pm. :(

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
I never realized how much I needed a door smashing simulator before! Kick rear end!

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Ad Blurb posted:

There are two kinds of people in Gyraxia - mages, and commoners. To become a mage, a Sigil of Loyalty is required, with years of training in schools approved by the Gyraxian Association of Mages (GAM). Even then, only a quarter of all applicants make it through, and the majority already have connections within GAM. Sadly, most attempt it without knowing the full consequences - no one with a Sigil of Loyalty may attack or oppose GAM. They can easily be tracked and spied on as well, giving GAM almost complete dominance.

There is only one threat to GAM's tyrannical rule over Gyraxia. Those who believe that magic, and people, should be free to live and grow as they desire; who oppose haughty governmental control. They are Virtuemancers, and they are GAM’s worst fear.

Virtuemancers fight to protect the oldest (and possibly most powerful) form of magic to ever exist. Virtuemancers take the pieces of magic around and inside of them to make spells on the fly, spells powered by their hearts and souls. fight to protect the oldest (and possibly most powerful) form of magic to ever exist.

Take on the role of a Virtuemancer. Use your heart-fueled spells to fight GAM, and free Gyraxia before it’s too late!

I'm submitting Virtuemancy, it's inspired by a Magus I made for a now defunct Pathfinder game. She used Words of Power and believed the Mages Guild was evil in it's rigorous control of magic.

It's based on a hacked version of the Storyteller System, and uses a flexible magic system based on Words of Power from Pathfinder. Here's both the Ad Copy and what I have of the Outline so far. Not too much in terms of fluff, but it's going to be fleshed out much more in the week to come.

I'm going the charity route, and would like it to go towards SafePlace. They're a group in Austin that provides shelter, protection, food, and care for victims of domestic abuse.

Edit: forgot to mention the game's name and what prize I'm going for.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Ad Blurb
Do you like Orcs? Do you like swords? Do you like hitting Orc-shaped pinatas until swords come out? Then you will love* present:

Monsters & MurderHobos

Featuring**:

A robust, straightforward resolution and combat system, explained in very few words to make room for more Stuff.
Stuff interaction guidelines, to allow for the maximum amount of Stuff with the minimum amount of unexpected ascensions to godhood.
Three classes, brimming*** with Stuff.
An as-yet undetermined amount of races, also brimming*** with Stuff.
Detailed**** instructions on how to create Stuff, from equipment to Monsters.
Encounter balancing rules that account for variable equipment layouts.
Skills.

Available at your nearest Stuff retailer and/or corpse-filled monster hole soon!

*and/or tolerate
**any or all of these may be dropped due to space requirements.
***Not really brimming, but wait until you see the splats!
****Probably not going to be all that detailed.

Cardinal Ximenez
Oct 25, 2008

"You could call it heroic responsibility, maybe," Harry Potter said. "Not like the usual sort. It means that whatever happens, no matter what, it's always your fault."
(project outline)

RoboSaur: the time war is a tabletop wargame about piloted humanoid robots and dinosaurs battling other robots and dinosaurs. It only requires two dice (six-sided), some paper, and probably some adequate representational tokens and a hexagonal grid playing surface.

Each person controls either a side or an individual pilot (depending on whether or not you are into this "roleplaying" thing), and does battle. Robots and dinosaurs alike fight on a grid of hexagons, which can be filled with various types of terrain, some of which impede movement and fire. Each turn of the game consists of a one-side-at-a-time movement phase (which alternates between sides) and a simultaneously resolved fire phase.

You generate pilots quite simply: pick one thing the pilot is good at, and one thing the pilot is bad at. Things tentatively include moving, shooting, not dying, and paleontology. If you are good at something, you must roll at least three or over on two six-sided dice whenever a check against that skill is called for. If you are bad at something, you must roll at least seven or over. Otherwise, you must roll at least five or over. This target number [TN] can be modified by various factors.

Building robots is more complicated; starting with a basic chassis, you can add armor, weapons, and even DinoEmpathy units (which allow you to control dinosaurs) to your bot.

Each component added has to fit on one of the robot's eleven hit locations, which each have a number of hit points [HP], which represents the amount of damage they can take before they are destroyed. If your robot's central torso is destroyed, both of its legs are disabled, or all the exhaust ports are disabled, the robot is automatically incapacitated, and your pilot must eject to avoid an untimely death. If your robot's cockpit is destroyed, your pilot is automatically killed!

Each component costs a certain amount of SpaceBucks [$] and weighs a certain amount of weight [WT]. If your robot has too many components (and not enough leg actuator power), it will move slower.

Weapons include the versatile but low-performing lasers, the moderately powerful close-range machine guns (which are arbitrarily explosive and power efficient), the heavy and slow, but extremely powerful railguns, and long-range missiles capable of indirect fire.

Dinosaurs are fairly inexpensive units, but they are only capable of melee combat (except for the cybernetically-augmented eponymous RoboSaurs). However, they can scare away even the most powerful opponent with their fierce roars. And if they are freed from the thrall of the controlling DinoEmpathy unit, they run away.

Once the battle is over, you may be able to salvage dinosaurs and robots, to prepare yourself for the next fight.

===

My $50 (USD, not SpaceBucks) should go to The Long Now Foundation, both for the irony and the dire lack of attention to existential risk management in charitable contributions. Never forget the K-Pg extinction!

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Etherwind
Apr 22, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 85 days!
Soiled Meat
Can I just check: by Midnight February third you mean tomorrow, right? Not tonight?

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I see someone else has discovered the old-school joy that is Dave's Mapper.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Etherwind posted:

Can I just check: by Midnight February third you mean tomorrow, right? Not tonight?

Correct. Tomorrow, Midnight GMT, that's Tomorrow 7PM EST. I hear there is some kind of superb owl fighting a raven and a lot of people are going to watch it?

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
You're close, Gau!

Also,

Lookit dat kid. That's what I want to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

Well, Dyson's tiles are included in Dave's mapper ;)