Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Nessa smiles, eyes crinkling, giving Dr. Beltway a look of mild amusement. You sure know how to pick them, eh Richard?
She leans forward, casually knocking the table with her gauntlet and looking at the ratkin.
"An honest mistake. Might I ask where you come from, Miss...?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Nessa smiled, relaxing. "Your discomfort is perfectly understandable, Miss P'ui. Humans and the like have too many poor associations with rats, and small folk in general."
She leaned back. "Far to the southeast, there's a clan of these black-skinned, and I mean pure black, winged people, called the Strix, with whom the men of the land have waged war for hundreds of years. Now there is certainly a deep grudge, a feud forged of real blood, but it first stemmed from and is perpetuated by the Strix's appearance, resembling that of winged demons. One of my most faithful companions was Strix, a knight of the highest caliber, honorable and just. A simple matter of prejudice, mistakes borne from appearance and poor judgement."
Her smile faltered. "Unfortunately, he died. Hmm."
Her attention switched to the half-giant, her smile returning. "So this is Thorgeisl? Good to meet you, the doctor spoke highly of you."

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Nessa's eyes slipped over to Dr. Beltway.
"Although that's pretty much all he told me, how good the rest of the team ranks. Everything else, quite a mystery. Hmm."

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Nessa reaches down to her feet, picking up a helmet, putting it on with an easy twirl.
She sighs, then goes ramrod-straight, her relaxed posture melting away into something distinctly and perfectly military.
"Of course, m'lady. Nothing less than what I already am."
She relaxes again, grumbling. "As long as I don't have to actually talk to anyone. Nobody ever seems to go for my lies."

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Nessa idly taps at her helmet, making a resounding clunk.
"Y'know, I am looking for work. If things were just a little different, I could easily be looking to join his 'army' in truth. If your fears turn out to be unfounded, still even then. I like you, Richard, but not enough to rely on a hunch."
She stops, then leans forward.
"So, I'm there looking for a job. If your fears are unfounded, I'd still want one, and maybe he'd still have me, after some negotiation. He knows how it is, presumably."
There's a feeling she's smiling, probably, at least from her voice.
"Then, when I say I'm there for a job, I can say so honestly. The rest of this is just part of researching a future employer, after a friend warned me of their suspicions. Heh."

She leans back, relaxing.
"Heh heh. Hmmm. Colonel Carbon... the name even sounds familiar. Should work."

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Nessa glares at Hecate. Well, turns her head, and helmet, and probably glares.
"Draunt has more than enough problems already, we're not going to go starting a war, and you'd think people would be a little more appreciative and generous after--"
She stops herself, grumbling under her breath. "Ugh. Nevermind. Sorry, I left to get away from all that nonsense, you'd think I could learn to keep it to myself."

She sighs, leaning back, and brushing at her right shoulder, a nervous tic.
"Truly sorry. drat wars."

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Nessa shrugs at Hecate. "Mmm, personal is different. No offense at all."
She leans her head to the side, waving at Olimar.
"Speaking of offense, what is this about hips? I can assure you my hips are perfectly robust. As are my legs, shoulders, arms, so on. You don't have to worry about that, mmm?"

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Vanessa Carmine Staere of Draunt

Nessa stood early, as Richard and Barnabus were leaving.
"Well, I'm sure you'll figure something out. I'll be upstairs, having a nice chat with this Carbon fellow. See you all then, maybe. Well, hopefully not."

~~

Still in the early evening, a horse came clopping down the road, nice and leisurely, ridden by a heavily armored knight. Her helmet was slung over her back, softly clunking against her shield, showing her easy smile in the dim light of the streetlamps.
She stopped at the gate, addressing the guards.

"Evenin' gents. I heard the Colonel's looking for old soldiers who're out of work, eh?"

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Nessa smiles.
"Vanessa Carmine Staere of Draunt. I believe I'm still a knight, but Lord Pembrook is quite dead and Ikora not really inhabitable. You know, the business with the ship and those tentacle things, near the end of the war? Trying to get away from all that."
She shuffles in her bag for something, bringing out a small, folding identification book.
"See? I've got the Staere signet somewhere around here too, if it's needed."

After getting through, giving her horse a goodbye pat, and arriving at the reception room, Nessa relaxes, gazing around a the interior, and giving Hecate a little wave, and a wink.
"Thanks for the tip about this, by the way."

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Nessa smiles at Carbon at the first greeting.
"Colonel Carbon! So nice to meet you. Your estate is fantastic."

~~

She follows Carbon at his proposal, glancing at Hecate. "Of course, I'm interested."
She gazes around at the mansion as they walk through it.
"Though really, I am looking for something more permanent, if possible. You would not believe the number of times some village or another has gotten me to clear out bandits or wolves or goblins or the like, and always for a pittance. Tried to leave that constant fighting for little reward business behind, eh?"

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Nessa raises an eyebrow.
"Colonel, I have had a positive surfeit of 'the war.' If I wanted more of it I could be up north aiding the reconstruction."
She leans her head to the side, looking at the things on his desk.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

In contrast, Nessa grins fiercely. "Antimagic!"
She peers closer at the whirring object.
"How does it work? I mean... well, I'm sure there are secrets, but I wouldn't understand anyway. I mean, where does it get its power? What happens if the fields overlap, or if two go in each others' fields?"
Suddenly, she straightens, her face going sour.
"This isn't illithid tech, is it? You know how often that nonsense bites you back in the arse, you can't bend it against its original master. Absolutely can't."

zachol fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Feb 4, 2013

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Nessa's frown deepens.
"Wait. Did I hear you say... reverse it? Use illithid monstrosities? You have to know that'll never last, especially if this itself comes from the same place. Trying to use this to keep those things contained, they'd adapt, absorb it into themselves. It's like fighting fire with fire, you'll just make it bigger in the end."

She waves at the object.
"Why, I imagine within time, you'd have creatures emanating these sorts of fields, completely knocking our own magical defenses, with the monsters themselves having found a way to still function within them. Or rays of it, or fields that absorb or reflect magic, or, or... I don't know, but something nightmarish. It'll be the war all over again.
"Over and over, I saw wizards of amazing talent charge onto the field, who were sure they'd managed a way to harness the illithid's weaponry for our own purposes, and it always failed catastrophically. Hell, half the time I'd have to put them down myself, kill my own men, after they'd turned. What assurance could you possibly have that this time would be any different?"

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Nessa starts pacing, still frowning.
"What I'm pessimistic about is your bizarre notion that there would be illithid magi-tech that's 'safe.' It's all dangerous, even the most innocuous looking example, because it changes. If you found, like, a lamp, just a simple lamp that produces light and can be easily grown and distributed, then in a few months time you'd start hearing reports of men going insane, rampaging and murdering, and then autopsies would find those lamps crawled inside them like a parasite. Even the best wizard in the world wouldn't have found that capability, because it wasn't there at the start, but it came about in time, because of how insidious the stuff is."

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Nessa hmmphs at the colonel, and starts to pace in the hallway, grumbling under her breath.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Nessa smiles at Hecate, walking into the room to face Carbon.
"Alright, Colonel. At least tell me where this..."
She waves at the contraption.
"...gets its power from. Some strange dwarven runes, bound elementals, tiny little demons, what?"

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Nessa frowns at Carbon.
"At least tell me it's not illithid magic, alright? I don't even care what it is, as long as it's not that."

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Nessa frowns back, then shrugs.
"Fine, if that's how it is. Though I really think you should be more open. What did you have in mind?"

Sense Motive: 1d20+7=8 fuckin' nice

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Nessa grumbles a little. "Hmm. Fine, fine. I'll think on it."

She walks out of the room, taking in the scene, nodding at Figuero.
"I figure you're next..."
Then, she moves closer to Hecate, waving at Oreom down the hall.
"'s goin' on over there?"

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Nessa follows Hecate, watching the scene and feeling thoroughly amused.
"Socializing, huh?"

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Nessa smiles, glancing at Thorgeisl.
"Heh. I like her."

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

"Haha, chump."
She leans down a little, whispering to the colonel.
"She's great. Where'd you find her?"

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Nessa is a little pensive from the Colonel's response, but she manages to grin at Hecate.
"Oh, where's the fun in that? Let them spar."

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Nessa delays for a moment, glancing around to make sure nobody sees them, then leans down to whisper to Lefty.
"Mechanism in the office, at the far end. The thing that looks like a bingo spinner. Good luck!"
She grins, winks, then hurries off to join the rest of the group and watch the sparring.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Nessa eyes Carbon, looks at the sparring, frowns in disappointment, then turns, leaving the room to follow him, trying to catch up without seeming overtly hostile. She tries to wave him down, picking a spot where they won't be entirely in the middle of a pack of guards, at least.
"Colonel! Colonel Carbon! Is something wrong?"

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

"Colonel, sir."
Vanessa nods at Carbon.
"Have something that needs checking? You want me to start my employment early?"

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Vanessa frowns, nods, then glances at Hecate, giving a solid, meaningful nod, before heading off to the front door.
She couldn't very well be expected to run in this armor, eh?

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Vanessa

Nessa grins nervously, glancing back.
"Eheh, sorry. I'm a new recruit. Uh... the Colonel asked me to tell you to go on some sort of lockdown. Oh, and send three guards up to meet him in his office."

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Vanessa

Nessa smiles at the man with the fabulous beard.
"Vanessa Carmine Staere. Formerly of Draunt. And no, it wouldn't keep me out. Pleasure to meet you."
She glances around, feeling a little silly.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Vanessa pulls back, confused, blinking at James.
"Oh... do you mean that Jaquelyn girl? She's been sparring with one of the lady's bodyguards. Otherwise, I don't believe so, no."

She glances at the north stairs. Would probably mess up whatever that halfling and dwarf have managed to work out. So... hmm, south stairs?
Er... no. Actually, she'll just stay right here. She smiles at Cyrus.
"I don't think I caught your name, though, sir...?"

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Vanessa looks back, slightly confused.
"Er... the barracks, I believe? That's what they called it. Over that way."

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Vanessa frowns.
"Oh? No, I don't have any enchanted items, just good Draunt steel. There must be..."
She trails off, looking distraught.
"Eheh. Oh my, this is embarrassing. Er, Mr. Wry, perhaps I could explain in private?"

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Nessa's smile falters, and she glances at the other guards.
"Hhh... fine."
She crouches down to whisper to the halfling.
"Near the end of the war, I got in a battle with the flayers. Got this growth on my shoulder from it, it must radiate magic. The boffins tried to get it off, but they couldn't, but it hasn't grown or seemed aggressive, so I just ignore it when I can."
She glances back again at the guards, then faces Cyrus.
"Obviously I don't like spreading this around."

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Nessa frowns at Cyrus, but nods. "That's reasonable."

She stands, watching James and the guard, and the unconscious Jaquelyn.
"Oh what? She lost? That is such a shame."

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Nessa raises an eyebrow.

"Eh? I happened to come at near the same time as that lady and her two bodyguards. One of the bodyguards sparred with Jaquelyn."
She looks at Carbon.
"You were there, they were sparring, you left, I followed you. What does robbing Jaquelyn have to do with me? I mean I didn't come in with anyone, I showed up on my own."

She shrugs. "What do I even have to do with anything? I've just been standing around all night after hearing your proposal."

zachol fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Feb 19, 2013

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Nessa glares at the guards. "Back off."
She nods at the Colonel, still glaring at them. "We're still talking, yeah? You won't need to drag me off, so stay off. Alright?"

She frowns at the Colonel.
"Now look, sir. I am trying not to be cross. Alright? I have not met the lady or those other two before today. We are not 'friends.' The last I saw of any of them, the one was sparring with Jaquelyn, and that lady was talking with you. You told me to come here and raise the alarm and send some guards up. I did that. Had a chat with this fellow here, stood about. I don't know anything about why he'd be stealing anything, it sounds, quite frankly, insane. I have no idea where they are. I have no idea where they could be. Presumably, if you say the second floor is clear, they must be below, trying to find a way out. Or they already left. But I can only guess."
She glances at the guards, then at Carbon.
"You say you're understaffed? Yeah, well, I'm here. I am still interested in your employ, still very interested in your device, despite my misgivings about your plans, and I am still willing to stay on. You have whatever honor and loyalty I can give, and if you knew anything about Lord Pembrook's knights you'd know what that means."

OOC: Not loving around. Nessa won't sabotage the mission, she still gave Richard her word, but unless Carbon dismisses or refuses her or she finds he's been seriously misrepresenting himself or lying, he has her loyalty. Previously she was on the fence, juggling, but this conflict has tipped it over.
Also if anything's not factually true in here it's because I made a mistake going over stuff.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Nessa sighs, nods, then follows on.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Blink. Flayer?
Vanessa glances up at Olimar. Mind flayer chained in the basement?
She looks forward again. "You, guard. If you're going to stand up in front like that, you should give me that device. No offense, Colonel, but you are about to need this thing, and I don't trust him not to fall."

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Nessa lurches forward, possibly to catch the device if it's about to fall. "Case in point!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Nessa looks up, raising her eyebrows at Hecate, inclining her head slightly towards Carbon.
"Should I activate this, Colonel?"

Ready action to flee into cover if it looks like someone's going to attack her (V92 or T90, depending on where it's coming from).

zachol fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Feb 22, 2013

• Locked thread