Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
What would you say is your favorite coin? I have a real soft spot for wheaties (because that's the collection my dad let me help with), but there's something about the Morgan silver dollars I like too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

SeaWolf posted:

Those wheat pennies posted in that big set above are really worth 10-15 each if they're 30's up?? I don't have nearly as many as that, maybe about three dozen, '36-'58, no steel in similar looking condition, but mostly Philly mint, The detail in the wheat is all very visible so I know that's good. You think those are worth more than the buck or so I was guessing?

Do you have three dozen sets of wheaties or three dozen wheaties? I'm pretty sure that Ron Don Volante was saying that each of the wheaties sets are worth $10-$15, not each of the pennies.

Also, let's just admit it. We collect coins for the warm fuzzy feelings, nothing more.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
Christmas is coming up, and as BFC is teaching me, there's is more to budgeting than saying "we have $X in the account, don't spend more than that." My dad's an amateur coin collector, mostly pennies because they're cheaper, but I'd like to get him maybe a silver dollar or half-dollar. What's a coin that looks nice, but is around $25? Would a more common coin with some nice toning be more realistic for that price range?

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
Just wanted to thank this thread for its excellent recommendations. I wound up getting my dad a late 30s walking liberty half-dollar. The condition isn't mint, but there's a patina to it that makes it extra striking.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Thanks guys! Also, I sometimes totally forget about SA-Mart :doh:, thanks for the reminder the. Scanning more stuff and working on that post now.

Here's a nifty oddity. Tl;dr is, commemorative coin, plated in Alaska gold, acceptable as currency only in Alaska until 12 noon Thursday, Dec 31st 1959.

Click for massive:

So, would one consider that exonumia, even if it was accepted as legal tender for some time?

Gotta say, this is one of the cooler gimmick coins. How did you find it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

Hellbeard posted:

OH NO! NEVER CLEAN OLD STUFF!
Unless you super know what you're doing. Don't. Clean.

Anyways, I found this too. I don't know Russian or what this is. I think it's naval related. What is it?

I think this is the front:

This is the back:

It opens up:

A money?

This is under the money:

Back of money:

Alternate side:

The money is a 100 ruble note. Don't know if it's worth anything. The paper is a voucher/receipt like you get on cruises for a taxi. (If I understood my husband right.)

• Locked thread