Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Ron Don Volante posted:

There were four Confederate half dollars struck to test the dies, each of which is worth hundreds of thousands of dollars (possibly even millions if they ever see the open market again). There is also a small number of restrikes (valuable) and many counterfeits/copies (mostly worthless).

Kinda fun that the CSA stole a previous US design.

For those curious, Dahlonega was site of the first American gold rush. It was a few decades before the Civil War and resulted in very little, but retained a bit of importance as a town for a bit. I have what has to be one of the tiniest of gold nuggets from there.

My grandfather had a small pile of coins. A few older silver dollars, more buffalo nickels without dates than with and a bunch of wheat pennies. I know they're not worth that much because nothing is rare. I live in a place of 10,000 with one tiny ill-supported coin shop and I'm hours from the nearest city of size. How I can find someone who will buy them for a fair price? I'm in south Georgia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread